Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
That black f-16 is fuckin' sick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

What the gently caress, man? It's 2019, not cool.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
AI:
https://twitter.com/neilwrites/status/1197263734487437312?s=19

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Firefighting aircraft are always 100% cool as gently caress, the bigger the better.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

Humphreys posted:

I'm actually enjoying Mikes build videos, if anything for carbon fibre working tips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCClc_C_Nfs

Uhhhhh, a Cub with an IO-720? Part of me thinks that's pretty awesome buuut I get the feeling it's going to turn itself into a pretzel in about 35 seconds.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There is no way the air boat fan is going to work out, but I love it anyway.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Dropping a load as fat as this would be amazing :heysexy:

I mean it would be like weird air turbulence where you gain 100 ft without touching the controls

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

My favorite is them having to nose-down at the end to keep from ballooning to the moon

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Firefighting tankers like that are old passenger jets right?

A: that thing must moan and creak like a tea clipper in a gale when it’s maneuvering like that and dropping the payload

B: does the pilot just listen to WHOOP WHOOP!TERRAIN! TERRAIN! PULL UP! PULL UP! The whole time?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Probably more like :megadeath: on the intercom

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
There's usually some kind of override/disable switch for the GPWS (in case it malfunctions and starts giving false warnings), so I'd assume that the crew uses that to keep the airplane from endlessly yelling at them while making drops.

Transport category airplanes are certified to +2.5G (and there's always some safety margin past that), so the drops can be made without exceeding the limits of the airframe, but operating a heavy airplane in turbulence at low level does beat the airframe up pretty fast, so metal fatigue is always an issue with firefighting airplanes.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

There’s been in cockpit views of some of these drops and it’s screaming “terrain, terrain” the entire time

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Where is Firefighting Pilot Simulator 2019???

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Lou Takki posted:

Where is Firefighting Pilot Simulator 2019???

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Still the world’s greatest helicopter flight sim game.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Minto Took posted:

Agreed. I would kill for a modern version.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.

PT6A posted:

I was always mad you couldn't fly the airplane in the hangar.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

ehnus posted:

Uhhhhh, a Cub with an IO-720? Part of me thinks that's pretty awesome buuut I get the feeling it's going to turn itself into a pretzel in about 35 seconds.

"780" He bored it out

It's ok he took the supercharger off so it's only making 500hp

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Whoops, wrong thread.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Minto Took posted:

Longbow 2 and Enemy Engaged: Comanche Hokum would both like to have a word with you.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I'm The CEO Of McDonnell Douglas

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

slidebite posted:

Longbow 2 and Enemy Engaged: Comanche Hokum would both like to have a word with you.

Longbow 2 rules but gunship 2000 will forever hold a place in my heart for flyable OH-6s ~hums magnum PI theme extra loud~

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I tried to get Gunship 2000 working with my joystick a while back but couldn't figure out how to get the correct axes for the collective and anti torque pedals.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Not the one I was looking for, but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QJTZXl_5BE

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Mortabis posted:

I'm The CEO Of McDonnell Douglas

Build the swing-wing F-4 Phantom, coward

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

StandardVC10 posted:

Build the swing-wing F-4 Phantom, coward

That’s the cheat code in simcopter to get any helicopter you want.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Nice look at why so many airlines have collapsed in the last few years, including why the response to the post-Thomas Cook collapse repatriation flights were so quickly arranged

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnfoTAxhpzQ

PT6A posted:

Firefighting aircraft are always 100% cool as gently caress, the bigger the better.

Now I want to see the following as firefighting aircraft

A380
An-225
B-52
B-1

Comedy Tu-95 option. It'll just LOUD the fire into submission

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

PT6A posted:

If Rockstar cared about fun at all they'd build Simcopter in GTAV. The flight model is surprisingly good, lots of fine control once you get used to it. Most of it is already there: slung cargo, working fire-fighting apparatus, etc.

Doing the UFO parts scavenger hunt in first-person had some neat moments for me. Flying sideways, looking out the open door trying to spot something between rows of grapevines at night made me feel like a badass.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Godholio posted:

Not the one I was looking for, but

https://i.imgur.com/QMdqC5c.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/mM8dTLW.mp4

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?
Tanker pilots are the best kind of Aeronautically Insane, and watching them never gets old.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
i used to hang out at hemet-ryan when i was a kid and the CDF guys let me climb in a S2

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Is he even 50' off the top of that ridge right at the end of the drop?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Jerry gets his next video ready...

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Is he even 50' off the top of that ridge right at the end of the drop?

The tip of the vertical stab on a DC-10 is ~58ft off the ground when sitting on the ground. They were probably 10-20ft off the top of the hill, there.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

slidebite posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozL3LtSsYd8

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Platystemon posted:

There is no way the air boat fan is going to work out, but I love it anyway.

Why not? His logic seems solid. He's looking to operate the plane in airboat speeds and conditions. He's got horsepower to burn, if he can get a prop that won't stall at that disk loading, he's getting somewhere.

ehnus posted:

That airframe is so far from stock.

MisterOblivious posted:

"780" He bored it out

It's ok he took the supercharger off so it's only making 500hp

And head girdles, custom heads, and various other crazy (sane?) things.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

forgive my illiteracy, but shouldnt we be seeing a lot of turbulence (?) on the magic firefighting powder under and behind the right wing flaps?

marumaru fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Nov 22, 2019

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I’m the 500hp of p-factor in a plane designed for 95hp.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Kilonum posted:

Now I want to see the following as firefighting aircraft

A380

Speaking of which, the first one was just scrapped..

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.aerotime.aero/rytis.beresnevicius/24224-first-airbus-a380-scrapped%3fv=amp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Jesus it barely clears that ridge...watching the shadow coming up closer - closer...

OTOH I kinda want to be on board