Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Yokai Watch 4 Sakura Wars 4'd the franchise

This is a reference that only I will get but I'm making it anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Monster Rancher is getting a switch port.

YW4 came out with hilarious glitches and had its own dexit. Announced in a stream hours before release. Show introduced a darker tone nobody liked a year prior, and the game used it as one of its 3 worlds.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The problem with most Monster franchises is...

Well, to put it bluntly, they are not good at character designs. Like the kickstarted ones above have a nice art style but no real uniqueness to the monsters. They mostly look like knockoff Pokemon or generic monsters. This makes it hard for them to sustain people and get them really excited because even if their gameplay is good (and it frequently isn't) it's a lot harder to get attached to "basically a Pokemon but wearing a different hat".

Digimon was successful at this by going all in on its aesthetic. If you see a Digimon you know it's a Digimon. If Pokemon even comes close people compare it to Digimon, even people who haven't see a Digimon show in a decade. That combined with its ridiculous but easily memorable names really gave it a lot of staying power.

Most competitors just can't pull that off. They end up having a large batch of forgettable stuff and that means they don't really get the time to improve. That or they rely on gimmicks which become massively outdated (Monster Ranhcer) or are extremely niche (also Monster Rancer with monster death and such) and without those gimmicks it loses something.

Blockhouse posted:

It's okay I get it too.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Apropos of nothing I forget your avatar's eyes move.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Blockhouse posted:

yeah, i get the ref

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
IIRC, Yo-kai Watch 4 has both terrible performance issues AND sliced their roster down by a lot, to about 100 monsters? (Including some palette swaps) They are patching in more monsters over time but consumers were unhappy.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Why the hell does Eevee say "EBAY" instead of *electronic windchime noises*

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Pentaro posted:

They're pushing Eevee as a mascot on par with Pikachu, so EBAY!

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Mizuti posted:

IIRC, Yo-kai Watch 4 has both terrible performance issues AND sliced their roster down by a lot, to about 100 monsters? (Including some palette swaps) They are patching in more monsters over time but consumers were unhappy.

Honestly, the way the designs had been going, I would not be surprised if 50 of the Yokai that made it in were Jibanyan recolors, and the other half were 25 original, and then 25 palette swaps of those.

Edit: I also gave up on ever getting a complete Medallium or whatever it's called, because Level-5 forgot not everyone lives in population dense Japan (Panadanoko), and the RNG is unkind (everything locked behind the Crank-a-kai).

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Pentaro posted:

Let's Go Eevee happened and Eevee got its synth cries replaced by the squeaks of a Japanese woman.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Pentaro posted:

Because they decided that Eevee should be on par with Pikachu as a mascot-mon for Let’s Go and that decision stuck.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
God drat this thread can't go one page without the awful opinions. Eevee is cool and good and you can make its name show up in mario kart 64

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Speaking of mascots, somehow got a Pikachu with a light ball.

Shame I'll never use it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Gruckles posted:

As I recall, Yokai Watch 4 made their own announcement of the game only having like 1/7th as many monsters as the previous game did just a few days before release. Then at launch it had a bunch of really bad glitches like NPCs T-posing and falling through the ground. And now just 6 months later they're re-releasing an enhanced version of it.

Imagine if they did that for a Pokemon game.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I am personally loving the fact that pokemon now do spawn on the overworld. Makes spotting most of them a lot easier and no more RNG praying.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Blooming Brilliant posted:

They're pushing Eevee as a mascot on par with Pikachu, so EBAY!

Thankfully they can be evolved, and can forget about the shrill squeaks of japanese voice actors in favor of soothing beep boops.
Except for LGPE but I have't played those nor I plan to.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Barrelling in 12 pages late to say I named my Sobble 'Bristow' because Alias is a wonderful stupid spy show and Jack Bristow is the best.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

hmmm...at the tower.....about to complete a bunch of the plot.....think I'm gonna take a break to do some raids

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

iospace posted:

I am personally loving the fact that pokemon now do spawn on the overworld. Makes spotting most of them a lot easier and no more RNG praying.

it rules, it's almost everything I liked from LGPE with almost nothing I hated

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Mega64 posted:

Imagine if they did that for a Pokemon game.

I'm not sure if I'd be upset or impressed if GreatSword/GreatShield was on store shelves by May.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Well, to put it bluntly, they are not good at character designs. Like the kickstarted ones above have a nice art style but no real uniqueness to the monsters. They mostly look like knockoff Pokemon or generic monsters. This makes it hard for them to sustain people and get them really excited because even if their gameplay is good (and it frequently isn't) it's a lot harder to get attached to "basically a Pokemon but wearing a different hat".

Digimon was successful at this by going all in on its aesthetic. If you see a Digimon you know it's a Digimon. If Pokemon even comes close people compare it to Digimon, even people who haven't see a Digimon show in a decade. That combined with its ridiculous but easily memorable names really gave it a lot of staying power.

Most competitors just can't pull that off. They end up having a large batch of forgettable stuff and that means they don't really get the time to improve. That or they rely on gimmicks which become massively outdated (Monster Ranhcer) or are extremely niche (also Monster Rancer with monster death and such) and without those gimmicks it loses something.
It is basically this yeah. For example, Temtem linked above looks like it wants to be a serious competitor, but at a glance the designs don't stand out too much amongst eachother. Still, wishing the devs good luck.

I would also say Medabots has a distinctive style, but can't actually recall any games other than had some a long time ago.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Eevee is good but gently caress Charizard and Pikachu. If my non-eevee favorites weren't considered good enough then those two absolutely aren't.

of course, it's not really a matter of favorites, capitalist merch engine ho

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

tudabee posted:

I don't understand why we can't let our Pokemon follow us again if they were capable of adding all these overworld Pokemon :sigh:

Well, you see, they had to make all these new models and that took a lot of time and effort.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Whoa, whoa, are you guys talking poo poo about YEAH BOI?

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

vandalism posted:

Well, you see, they had to make all these new models and that took a lot of time and effort.

Maybe they should have spent the effort put into having pokemon chase me when I don't want them to into having pokemon follow me when I do want them too :colbert:

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

ChaosArgate posted:

Because they decided that Eevee should be on par with Pikachu as a mascot-mon for Let’s Go and that decision stuck.

Meowth is next. They started with Longcat, watch that fucker start talking in the next game.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Eevee evolves into Sylveon, which is Objectively the best Pokemon after most of the Pokemon that got cut.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Pentaro posted:

It says Eievui , which is its Japanese name. (still derived from the same root as Eevee - i.e. Evolution)

SirBukkake
Aug 24, 2006
Idk some black dude

Epic High Five posted:

It's actually better than LGPE because the Pokémons move more naturally and is varied per species. I have a newfound respect(fear) for sneasel when it chases after me like a anime ninja at Mach 1.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i heard people throwing shade at monster rancher and i'm ready to gently caress someone up

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

Epic High Five posted:

I really wish they had brought forward pokemon mounts instead of bikes and the terribad biking outfit. Also overworld shinies but I both care less about that and kind of get why they didn't.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

It's funny and engaging at first, but at some point you're running away from Pokemon because I ALREADY CAUGHT ONE OF YOU! gently caress OFF! and not because it's a big murderous rock monsters, that's a little less charming.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Leal posted:

Maybe its time for Monster Rancher to make a comeback.

monster rancher with qr codes

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Raserys posted:

monster rancher with qr codes

Wasn't there a game that was basically this, but it existed before smartphones so you scanned barcodes?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
someday someone will take my idea of making monster rancher that scans your steam library

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Leal posted:

Wasn't there a game that was basically this, but it existed before smartphones so you scanned barcodes?

Barcode Battler?

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Leal posted:

Skannerz

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I was thinking Skannerz

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I entirely agree. And the comparison earlier here of gen 1 starting as JRPG with recruitable random monster encounters (to explain why bug was garbage, dragon/flying was more 'power', and bird was a type), makes me wonder if a new franchise could muscle with gen 8-levels of interesting designs or, as shown, must they grow, over time from designs like Seel to designs like Appletun. Temtem would've been what I point at, but I don't think I've seen any designs that turn heads like the Galar fossils.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Genovera posted:

I don't actually do much competitive stuff but I'm a weirdo who really likes doing breeding projects. Here's what I know about breeding good pokemon:

1. Before you start breeding too many pokemon, get the Oval Charm and a pokemon with the flame body ability. The Oval Charm increases the chance of getting an egg, and carrying a pokemon with flame body makes eggs hatch twice as fast.

2. Natures are a 10% increase to one stat and a 10% decrease to another. They are passed down by giving one of the breeding pair an everstone. This will pass down that parents nature 100% of the time, regardless of if they are male, female, or a ditto. This is easier to get going than perfect IVs, so if you're just getting started I'd focus on this.

In SwSh there are now mints to change the stat boosts, but I checked and they cost 50bp so you might want to avoid that by at least getting some dittos with commonly used natures. I'd recommend getting an adamant, modest, timid, and jolly ditto. If you are breeding bulky pokemon or mixed attackers you'll want other natures but those 4 get a lot of mileage. Unfortunately dittos cannot be bred, so you have to catch them. You can just go out and catch a bunch of dittos and see what natures you get. However! If a pokemon with the synchronize ability is at the lead of your party, wild pokemon will have a 50% chance to have the same nature. Check if you have any pokemon with a good nature and synchronize to save some time. You can also breed a bunch of pokemon with synchronize to fish for good natures. I'm doing this with natu but still haven't gotten an adamant one :argh:

3. Abilities are on a per-species basis so you can't really prep this in advance and have to do it for each pokemon. The main thing to know is that to get the hidden ability, you have to have a parent with the hidden ability. If a female has the hidden ability, you can breed her with a compatible male or a ditto. If a male has the hidden ability you need to breed him with a ditto to pass it down. There is a chance for raid battle pokemon to have the hidden ability-- I'm not sure if the overworld glowy pokemon can have hidden abilities too?

If you are going for one of the two regular abilities, you can start with any pokemon of your desired species. However, there is an 80% chance that the mom (or dad when bred with a ditto) will pass down their ability. So always breed using a pokemon with the right ability when you can.

4. IVs are passed down by having one of the parents hold a destiny knot. This causes 5 of the parents' IVs to be inherited by the baby. Which ones are inherited and which parent they are from is random. You can also have one of the parents hold an EV-enhancing item to pass down that parent's corresponding stat. For example, if the dad holds a power bracer, then the baby will have the dad's attack IV. If the mom also holds a destiny knot, then the baby will have the dad's attack IV and 4 IVs randomly chosen from the mom and dad. I normally don't bother with the EV-enhancing items and just use the destiny knot.

Getting perfect IVs from scratch can be tricky. Ideally you'd have good IV dittos, but they can't be bred. Dittos from raid battles or on the overworld with the sparkly effect should have some perfect IVs. You can try to get a set of dittos that between them cover each stat. This is probably the easiest way to get started.

Alternatively, if you like breeding and want to be overprepared, you can breed a male with 5-6 perfect IVs for each egg group. This requires a lot of iteration but once you have one 5-6 IV pokemon you can use them as a seed to pass it around to the rest of the groups. You take the 5-6 IV pokemon, breed it with a 0 IV pokemon to get new ones with a few IVs, then rebreed the 5-6 pokemon with the best new one (probably 2 IVs) to increase your chances of getting even more perfect IVs. And so on.

Yesterday I discovered that the pikachu you get from playing Let's Go has 6 perfect IVs. Mine is also male, and pikachu is in the field and fairy egg groups, which cover a lot of pokemon. I'm going to use him to make a team of powerful dads, one per egg group.

5. Egg Moves are passed down from either of the parents to the baby. If the parents know a move that is in the baby's egg move list, the baby will learn that move. So for example, if you want a charmander to know dragon rush, you can breed a male deino who knows dragon rush with a female charmander. Once you have a charmander with dragon rush you can then use it to breed more charmanders without the help of deino anymore. Also, new to SwSh you can pass egg moves between pokemon of the same species. Depending on the move, sometimes you have to do a big egg move breeding chain from Pokemon A (who learns it normally) --> Pokemon B (who has it as an egg move) --> Pokemon C (your target pokemon).

6. EVs are done after you have your perfectly bred pokemon. You can raise them by battling wild pokemon that give the correct EV (preferably while holding the associated EV enhancing item), you can send them out on Poke Jobs, or you can feed them a bunch of vitamins (there is no longer a cap on how high the EV can be raised by vitamins). I'm probably going to just use Poke Jobs because that will require the least effort. Make sure you don't unintentionally give a baby pokemon the wrong EVs by carrying them around in your party and battling random stuff before they are trained. If you do, there's some berries that can reduce EVs so it's fixable.

Here's what you need to do:
Get an everstone and a destiny knot. Catch a pile of dittos, with different natures and with some perfect IVs (via raids or that overworld glow). Have a ditto with the correct nature hold the everstone, and have the parent of the species you want hold the destiny knot. Breed until you get a pokemon with the right nature and ability.

Take the original parents out of the daycare, give the new pokemon the everstone, and put it in daycare. Give one of your high IV dittos the destiny knot and put it in daycare also. Breed them, replacing the non-ditto parent each time you get a new one with better IVs (don't forget to give them the everstone and make sure that the ability is right). Replace the ditto with one of your different high IV dittos as needed (don't forget to move the destiny knot) to pass down different perfect IVs.

Note that since there are 6 stats and you can pass down 5 IVs one of the stats will always be random-- try for a 5 perfect IV pokemon with the random IV in their dump stat.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Found a list on reddit of things you can do/obtain once you complete the game including a couple of free Pokémon:

- Epilogue (you're not done until it says The End a 2nd time, I've seen people miss the last bit)
- Enter Hop's house and go to Leon's room to find a pokéball with a charmander capable of dynamaxing when it evolves
- Go to Budewdrop Hotel, take the elevator and enter the first room on the left to see a cute little Marnie cutscene
- Pick up a Type:Null as a gift from the girl in the Battle Tower
- Talk to the man that sells daily bargains in Stow-on-Side to get a beast ball
- Battle Marnie at Spikemuth for her rare league card
- Battle Oleana in Galar Mine for Rose's rare league card
- Talk to Ball Guy outside of Motostoke arena for his league card he insists is rare
- Beat Leon in the Battle Tower for his rare league card. He will appear every number of matches
- Talk to the Police officer in a room in the hotel on the right in Circhester, he will give you the Oval Charm if you beat him (increases the chance of eggs being found in breeding)
- A man in the lower parts of Motostoke will teach Duradulon Steel Beam
- Talk to the man near the lighthouse in Hulbery City to rewatch the credits
- Once you have all of the data in your pokédex, go to the left hotel in Circhester, take the elevator up and talk tot he doctor in the room furthest to the left for the shiny charm

Sorry for all this. I'm behind in the thread and in the game and I want to be able to find this info again when I get caught up.