Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
Jim is a racist, probably not the most in the business, including darlings here. Jim was and is one of the best managers and announcers in the business, yet again has been thrown on his rear end from another company yet again, and unlike a lot of other people in this business, it's his own fault and his fault alone. He is one of the best and most entertaining wrestling historians, who he himself helped change wrestling from what it was when he entered the business, and yet has become insufferable to wrestling fans and wrestlers, hating on the business as it changes and adapts to find new audience.

He legit created his own hell, and I hope for his sake he finds his way out of it, but I don't feel bad at all and neither should anyone else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, actually calling something for what it is matters, especially racism since so many people hesitate so much to call racism out as racism. We criticized the NWA apologies for not saying it. Its fair and consistent to criticize Meltzer for not saying it.

NWA owns the content that Cornette was associated with. They are responsible for his comments making it through. Dave is not.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Jordan7hm posted:

NWA owns the content that Cornette was associated with. They are responsible for his comments making it through. Dave is not.

No one is saying Dave is to blame for Jim’s comments. We’re saying it’s important people say those comments are racist, not just “offensive.”

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

No one is saying Dave is to blame for Jim’s comments. We’re saying it’s important people say those comments are racist, not just “offensive.”

I agree, but there's a difference between NWA's level of responsibility to address those comments and Meltzer's.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I agree that Dave should be verbally chastened and Dave Lagana shot into the sun, yes.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, it goes without saying that Meltzer isn't responsible for what Cornette said or that it made air. The criticism is about his response. Nick Aldis got criticized too. He may be NWA champ but he's no more responsible for what Cornette said or that it aired.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Nov 21, 2019

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Jordan7hm posted:

I agree, but there's a difference between NWA's level of responsibility to address those comments and Meltzer's.

Where are you getting the sense I’m saying otherwise?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, it goes without saying that Meltzer isn't responsible for what Cornette said or that it made air. The criticism is about his response. Nick Aldis got criticized too. He may be NWA champ but he's no more responsible for what Cornette said or that it aired.

Aldis is trying to save his paddleboat that Cornette set fire to. I felt he could have been harsher but there's an obsession with decorum that keeps flaring up when racism happens that absolutely baffles me.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

There's nothing baffling about it. Lots of (white) people hesitate to call racism "racism" because for a white person the worst thing you can be called is "racist." So you've got a big spectrum from people who think nothing is "racist" unless there's a white robe and burning cross to people who totally think its racist but just avoid using that word because they think they might have more success making their point using another word because they know some people will shut down and get defensive the second they hear "racism/racist."

But it matters. What Cornette said was racist. What ACH went through was racism. The word Orton said was racist. Its important to call out because its important to make the responsible parties address it on those terms.

So again, of course Meltzer isn't responsible for what Cornette said or that NWA aired it. But his response matters because we want to call Cornette and NWA out and ideally make them address it on the proper terms. And Dave's response matters because he has a big voice.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I hope the production team for AEW take Bryan's advice and stop cutting to random audience members at important times in the match.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

He keeps saying it's in bad taste, and that times change, and over and over again, he says "you can't defend it," but then he defends it by deflecting over and over again, and then goes on to say "people will say I defended Cornette," and I recognize this.

When your good friend does something indefensible, and you defend them anyway, then pepper in "of course it's wrong and he shouldn't have done it." It's so obvious.

This should've just been, "he said something racist. He shouldn't have said something racist." That's it. You don't keep talking to obfuscate that point and muddy the waters.

Edit: for gently caress's sake. Dave says nobody cared when it happened and the only reason anything came of this is that Cornette has enemies.

He's going full virtue-signal fallacy.

LividLiquid fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Nov 21, 2019

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire
Dave is a 60 year old white dude who lives in a bubble being forced to criticize his old friend of many years. He went as hard as you’re going to get.

Cornette is also not canceled. His little cult is as galvanized as ever. He lost his job as an announcer on a YouTube show that gets 150k viewers.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

Edit: for gently caress's sake. Dave says nobody cared when it happened and the only reason anything came of this is that Cornette has enemies.

This is true as this is not the 1st time Cornette has used this exact call.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

quote:

He's going full virtue-signal fallacy.

nah

quote:

Cornette is also not canceled. His little cult is as galvanized as ever. He lost his job as an announcer on a YouTube show that gets 150k viewers.

He's probably going to make more money from his post-resignation podcast than whatever NWA was paying him. It's pathetic.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Suplex Liberace posted:

I guess everyone everywhere has heard all of Cornette's work

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, this is what I meant by wishing Dave could recognize the hatred in Jim's racist comments. He can recognize that Jim calling Robert's a pedo comes from a place of hatred and that it's wrong for Cornette to try to hurt Robert's like that. So it's disappointing and frustrating that he has that disconnect for something racist. Like, yeah times have changed but if you were not a dick you were not making jokes like that in the 80's. Jim was racist then and he's racist now and I wish Dave had said it.

I still like Dave and I think he's a good dude himself but he's absolutely terrible at being critical of people he considers friends. Cornette is going to double down and Dave will be making a huge mistake if he continues being soft when Cornette does.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Big Huski Boi posted:

I guess everyone everywhere has heard all of Cornette's work

I'm solely adding context to what Dave said this is not the 1st time hes said this exact thing

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

i rate dave's take on this controversy at **

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Suplex Liberace posted:

I'm solely adding context to what Dave said this is not the 1st time hes said this exact thing

We had two tweets in the Cornette thread link to time he used that exact same line, once in WWE and once in Crockett NWA

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi
Odd that it didn’t get advertised anywhere, but here’s the most recent Sidewalk Slam: Bonus encouraging thumbnail.

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

oh but seriously I posted:

i rate dave's take on this controversy at **

https://twitter.com/WWERollins/status/1029837128186949632?s=20

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Glass houses Seth.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Credit where credit's due: it's impressive he wrote this without any typos while his monitor was off.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Suplex Liberace posted:

Counterpoint: It was always wrong and there were fewer/almost no ways to reach a company in the 80s and 90s.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

that tweets 16 months old

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

What's really weird about Dave hesitating to call Corny out on his racism is Corny talking heavy poo poo about Dave because he dares to enjoy modern wrestling. I legit thought they weren't friends anymore, which would fit with Corny's tendency to burn every bridge except the ones that don't lead anywhere.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

CombineThresher posted:

What's really weird about Dave hesitating to call Corny out on his racism is Corny talking heavy poo poo about Dave because he dares to enjoy modern wrestling. I legit thought they weren't friends anymore, which would fit with Corny's tendency to burn every bridge except the ones that don't lead anywhere.

Dave said they weren't friends anymore on the show today. Dave is in a weird funk the last few weeks that I don't understand where he's gone from the wrestlers need to unionize and stop getting hosed over to "well contracts are contracts" and other weird shifts. Weird poo poo.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Loyalty . . . one of the most corruptible virtues . . . The Ancient speaks true.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

MassRafTer posted:

Dave said they weren't friends anymore on the show today. Dave is in a weird funk the last few weeks that I don't understand where he's gone from the wrestlers need to unionize and stop getting hosed over to "well contracts are contracts" and other weird shifts. Weird poo poo.

Divorced Dave theory is gaining traction, thread. :smith:

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

From today’s observer:

quote:

Albert Hardie Jr., was released this week. He announced that he would be doing independent shows, an 11/22 show for Heavy Metal Wrestling in San Antonio and a 12/1 show for Atlanta Wrestling Entertainment. It’s probably best to cut ties with him for a large number of reasons. The bad aspect of it is it sets a precedent for those who want out of their deals to cry racism

Ok boomer

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Jesus Christ, Dave. :laffo:

Delete the Sky
Apr 21, 2014

Garbage rear end take from Dave, there. Just awful.

Ishin
Dec 31, 2008

~the animatronic spirit of
so many forgotten waves
Wtf Dave

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

I'm looking forward to people here making more excuses for Dave!

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Jesus christ Dave sucks now. How the gently caress does he go from "wrestlers should unionize" to this garbage in a few weeks?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

fatherofmustard posted:

I'm looking forward to people here making more excuses for Dave!

My excuse for Dave here is that he had stroke but now hes having a stroke

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire
Can you guys quit pretending he’s a leftist now?

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
that’s a bad take. oh well.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

If that's real... yikes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

mkay0 posted:

Can you guys quit pretending he’s a leftist now?

If you're asking me to stop calling him Big Woke Dave....

...no.