Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Useful Distraction posted:

In order to be accurate to the original games, I hope Gordon is literally just a floating pair of hands

Actually they already retconned Alyx to be a floating pair of hands, so Gordon will get the full body treatment. Half-Life 3's gonna be real confusing, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

GreatGreen posted:

To me, the biggest misstep Valve is making with this game is simply putting “Half-Life” in the title. Valve knows good and well how much of an effect it would have.

I think there’d be a lot more positivity around the conversation if they’d have simply named it “Alyx” or something. Anything else, really.

Then again maybe Valve knowing exactly how controversial this would be is exactly why they did it.

I’ve seen nothing but praise except in this forum so I don’t know what you’re talking about

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Can't wait to hug gordon in VR

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
It's still not giving the fans what they really want, which is Barney.

Maybe that can be the next one HL:A -> HL:B

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

This game is a full on Half Life game, why wouldn’t they call it Half Life?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

chaosapiant posted:

This game is a full on Half Life game, why wouldn’t they call it Half Life?

Goons have broken brain syndrome

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Supersonic Shine posted:

It's an overplayed joke, but I'm still gonna use it: it was very clever of Valve to make a new Half-Life game without a 3 in the title.

Half-Life: λlyx

λlyx is three letters and a symbol

ergo, 3 is in the title

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Gnome de plume posted:

It's still not giving the fans what they really want, which is Barney.

Maybe that can be the next one HL:A -> HL:B

After the glorious return of fan-favorite Colette Green in Half-Life: Colette, the emotional tale of Alyx's pet robot and faithful companion Dog in Half-Life: Dog, the moody and relatable tale of yet another father stuck in the middle of the apocalypse with a young daughter in Half-Life: Eli, and the unassumingly pleasant and peaceful tale of The Fisherman in Half-Life: Fisherman, players will finally get to experience the continuation of the Half-Life series in Half-Life: Gordon, a prequel set in Gordon Freeman's days before the Black Mesa Incident, studying at MIT and later in Innsbruck, where he first runs into Dr. Isaac Kleiner, a fateful meeting that forever changes his life's course

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'd play the poo poo out of a Father Grigori game where you design and place traps and poo poo all over Ravenholm.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Nosfereefer posted:

tbh i think vr at this point is a golden opportunity to revive arcades. the current investment in both money and time setting it up limits the marked a lot atm, but a new golden era of arcading might keep it afloat long enough to get sufficient titles and the tech up for a mass consumer market

There's a bunch of these in a lot of major cities.

Usually like $20-30 per hour for use of a headset and padded individual play area with a bunch of games (including multiplayer ones so you can go with a bunch of friends).

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

I wasn't expecting to get hype about this but after watching the trailer, I think I'll pick it up shortly after launch.

The only question is whether to dump a bunch of money on a brand new headset and pass the old Vive to a friend for co-op times.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

GreatGreen posted:

To me, the biggest misstep Valve is making with this game is simply putting “Half-Life” in the title. Valve knows good and well how much of an effect it would have.

I think there’d be a lot more positivity around the conversation if they’d have simply named it “Alyx” or something. Anything else, really.

Then again maybe Valve knowing exactly how controversial this would be is exactly why they did it.

Its a half life game what are you talking about lol

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

bef posted:

*checks notes*
"Hmm, VR only? Not MY Half-Life"

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

There's a bunch of these in a lot of major cities.

Usually like $20-30 per hour for use of a headset and padded individual play area with a bunch of games (including multiplayer ones so you can go with a bunch of friends).

haven't really seen them around here yet, but exciting!

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Per this Verge article:

David Speyrer, Valve dev posted:

While it does take place before the events of Half-Life 2, we actually recommend that you play through Half-Life 2: Episode 2 before you play Half-Life: Alyx, for reasons that will become clear as you progress.
Could mean a lot of things, but considering a major part of Half Life are interdimensional portals maybe they'll be doing some time travel stuff. Perhaps they could be tying up some plot threads after all.

Email Address
Sep 11, 2004

Don't mess with STAR WARS KID
It is nuts to me that anyone would be upset that Valve wants to make a good/complete VR game.

Had a mini-stroke when I saw the announcement.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Ruflux posted:

the emotional tale of Alyx's pet robot and faithful companion Dog in Half-Life: Dog

Now I want a VR game where you're an ethereal spirit that can only interact with the world by trying to guide the robot dog from The Lab.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

SCheeseman posted:

Per this Verge article:

Could mean a lot of things, but considering a major part of Half Life are interdimensional portals maybe they'll be doing some time travel stuff. Perhaps they could be tying up some plot threads after all.

Isn't Eli's "Don't look" episode 2 line in the trailer?

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

poo poo looks dope as gently caress, I can't wait.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Donovan Trip posted:

If they can sell 100 copies at least it'll be more popular than their last game

their last game was Dota Underlords lol

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

bef posted:

What do you mean it's a Half-Life game? It only features everything from Half-Life but you see, it's VR and you're Alyx so it technically doesn't count.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Ruflux posted:

Actually they already retconned Alyx to be a floating pair of hands, so Gordon will get the full body treatment. Half-Life 3's gonna be real confusing, though.

More importantly, is Alyx going to be mute now?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

mobby_6kl posted:

More importantly, is Alyx going to be mute now?

Since you can hear her voice in the trailer probably not.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I hope that Alyx is still just a nonstop chatterbox but Gordon pantomimes everything and never says a word, assuming he shows up later on.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Every time he shows up, he's just jumping everywhere, swinging his crowbar, trying to clip physics props into the wall

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I hope they release a dumb version of this for us poor non-VR-havers :(

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Alyx' hud is on her left glove. That's neat.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Holy poo poo, we have an FPS thread icon with Gordon, setting it up.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Gabe Newell Reveals To ‘Half-Life’ Fans That They Are In Hell And He Is Their Devilish Master

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
It's ok for a dying console to have one good game.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Somewhat ironic that the Half-Life game they choose to have a voice acted PC in would be the one that would benefit the most from having a silent PC.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
drat that trailer looks sweet. Rip having a VR system in Peru tho.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Unreal_One posted:

Every time he shows up, he's just jumping everywhere, swinging his crowbar, trying to clip physics props into the wall

You have to wait a randomly chosen amount of time while his AI attempts to stack crates in the right combination to open a door for you

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Merle Dandridge still doing the voice? Some bits in the trailer sounded like her but others I'm not so sure about

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Captain Hygiene posted:

You have to wait a randomly chosen amount of time while his AI attempts to stack crates in the right combination to open a door for you

You move around by having Gordon tap your head with boxes

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

bef posted:

This is gonna be hl2/source all over again. I cant wait

Garry's Mod VR?!

TheNamedSavior
Mar 10, 2019

by VideoGames

PIZZA.BAT posted:

lol imagine being this entitled

I'm sorry I don't have tons of money to throw around for the low low price of 300$+ VR.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Lemming posted:

You move around by having Gordon tap your head with boxes

It goes by fast in the trailer, but Alyx totally beans a dude with the classic HL2 supply box.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

TheNamedSavior posted:

I'm sorry I don't have tons of money to throw around for the low low price of 300$+ VR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So nope, Merle Dandridge isn't voicing Alyx anymore. Valve News Network did an interview with her and she wasn't doing the voice for Half Life: Alyx