Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

UnknownTarget posted:

Ok so if transcending humanity isn't...the dream of Star Citizen (seriously what are you on if you're tripping?) then what is the dream of Star Citizen? The thing that's so ground-breaking that makes them worth $300 million USD and excuses every one of their delays? What is the dream?

At this point, I don't have a loving clue. I came across that head bobbing 'fix' video, thought it was interesting, looked for an appropriate place to post it and found this thread, and then it got taken all the wrong ways possible. Also my replies in this thread are due to my general tiredness of life on this planet and constant dreaming of something more .. sci-fi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

UnknownTarget posted:

Ok so if transcending humanity isn't...the dream of Star Citizen (seriously what are you on if you're tripping?) then what is the dream of Star Citizen? The thing that's so ground-breaking that makes them worth $300 million USD and excuses every one of their delays? What is the dream?

Having a bunch of people licking your space boots for the chance of being able to clean the toilets of your mega ship. That's the dream.

Ambaire posted:

At this point, I don't have a loving clue. I came across that head bobbing 'fix' video, thought it was interesting, looked for an appropriate place to post it and found this thread, and then it got taken all the wrong ways possible. Also my replies in this thread are due to my general tiredness of life on this planet and constant dreaming of something more .. sci-fi.

https://www.vrchat.com/

Go hog wild!

trucutru fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Nov 22, 2019

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ambaire posted:

:jerkbag: at the bolded bit.

Check out the VR game that not-con-artists Valve are making if you're looking to disappear into the matrix, friendo.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Ambaire posted:

Star Citizen is a fun thought experiment and fuel for daydreams but I do agree it doesn't seem to be going anywhere real.

The underlying tragedy is this: if a real game developer had been given hundreds of millions of dollars, they could have developed and released a game far superior to Star Citizen, in far less time. Any game developer on the planet has infinitely more ability and imagination than Chris Roberts (this is a basic law of nature; all other laws of physics derive from it) and so the game could have been absolutely fantastic. In a very real way, what CIG has done is taken the money that could have been used to make an insanely good game, burned it all, and salted the earth where the idea once stood. It's a real shame, because there was real demand for something a bit more arcade than Elite, a bit more metal than NMS, a bit more expansive than RGO, and so on. A mixed-genre space game that did exceptionally well at all the little disparate pieces could have been incredible. But the absolutely ludicrous, almost pathological, focus on absolutely the wrong things hamstrung this project right out of the gate. Fidelity eyelids, "controlling the spaceman who is controlling the ship," whisky ice cubes, Johnny Four-Jackets, motion-captured bartenders, fidelity eggs, ramps. Moons.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

…and anyway, the EVE Trinity trailer remains the best in terms of visual wow factor at the time of its release.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
The space game I dream of incorporates all the best parts of Factorio, Satisfactory, Elite Dangerous, No Man's Sky, and Kerbal Space Program. I'm not entirely sure how it would all mesh together but it would be awesome. Sadly, it will most likely forever languish in my most feverish dreams.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Ambaire posted:

When a human child is born, they have had no first hand experience with the world. Should we, therefore, decree that as they have no life experience, they should be denied life experience? Should scientists never attempt to discover something that has not been discovered? Should engineers not attempt to make fantastical machinery to solve new problems?

Should game developers never have a seemingly impossible dream and never attempt to make that dream a reality?
this is a great way to kick off citcon

from the bottom of my heart, thank you

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.
people keep talking about their dreams but never actually sit down and think about how to make those dreams real. or I guess the ones that do are the failed kickstarters and early access survival games

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Ambaire posted:

The space game I dream of incorporates all the best parts of Factorio, Satisfactory, Elite Dangerous, No Man's Sky, and Kerbal Space Program. I'm not entirely sure how it would all mesh together but it would be awesome. Sadly, it will most likely forever languish in my most feverish dreams.

Not if you believe CR's words. It'll all happen, right down to procedural birds.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
lol

Ambaire posted:

Today among other things I discovered that it is possible for KDF to obtain access to the Earth Space Dock, after dying rather spectacularly to a certain Orion KDF seducing a security officer next to where I was trying to train bridge officers.
http://i.imgur.com/TtwsoSu.jpg
Since I was under the impression that breaking the rules in such a flagrant fashion was grounds for a report, I did so shortly afterwards.
http://i.imgur.com/qL3GaFC.jpg
However, sometime later, I learned that said player was actually a goon and since goons are above the rules, should not be reported. So, here's my apology for reporting a goon and I hope that you can forgive me.

VVVV - Oh, hey. I noticed that after I exited to sector space that I still had fleet access, so I figured I'd claim a few items from the hangar since I had never taken any while I was lawfully a member. My most sincere apologies.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.
like, actually think about the work needed to setup an environment of Newtonian colliders, to make a shared pool so you're not butchering the cache instancing them on whatever random chunks the heap gives you, and the work needed to keep float precision high enough that your collisions will be reliably detected at the speeds you're allowing in your game. it's an intricate dance of structure, intent, and testing that all come together to make an imaginary world real, if only for a moment

or no, we could dream about the potential of that reality. the real world is dumb, it has imaginary spaceships but we have to actually design them

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Sarsapariller posted:

I'm glad we finally have a crobbeliever, or at least someone faking it convincingly enough to stir people up. The thread needs more variety even if it comes in the form of lukewarm owns and stilted rhetoric.

If Crobear doesn’t come visit us before the end I’m going to be sorely disappointed.

Here’s some mood music while we wait:

SOUNDS AND MUSIC OF ARCCORP IS PLAYED BACKWARDS

quote:

Walking around most if not all places of Area 18, the ambient sounds and music is played back backwards. Sounding like demonic words and terrible screechy sounds. (Personally have had this bug since 3.5 PTU release)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzJ-qyEDarM

(And no I will not stop posting bugs XD)

Pixelate fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Nov 22, 2019

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Good Dumplings posted:

the real world is dumb, it has imaginary spaceships but we have to actually design them
I was just at Northrop Grumman over the weekend to see the James Webb Space Telescope. Even in my dark, cynical heart I felt a touch of amazement and wonder I haven't felt since I was a child.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Ambaire posted:

Honestly that's understandable. Star Citizen is not that game. It's an extraction device for money from the wallets of whales, $2,500 at a time. (For things that won't be in the game for years.)

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Y'all be nice to our new friend. Their posts are a refreshing change just in time for citcon and if you all start tilting at windmills you're gonna ruin everything.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Beet Wagon posted:

Y'all be nice to our new friend. Their posts are a refreshing change just in time for citcon and if you all start tilting at windmills you're gonna ruin everything.

So it's like a Chris-mas miracle.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

When's citizencon? Me and my partner always try and watch them even if we can't keep up with the drama day to day.

Also did the star citizen thread recap go off site? I loved reading that but I appreciate its a lot of effort

o7 commandos

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

...just in time for citcon and if you all start tithing at windmills you're gonna ruin everything.

Differo Cathedra
Oct 9, 2012

To be honest it was 4AM when I started making the gif and even I don't know what it's supposed to be about by the time I finished it an hour and a few GIS searches later :effort:

no_recall posted:

ITS TIME FOR THE ANNUAL ShitizenConned 2019 Raffle!

Top 3 Prizes: a month of Humble Monthly!

SO. Lets get to it.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tMAP0fg-AKScI3S3VjrDW3OaLO4zgBA1RSYoQOQoNSI/edit#gid=1694467207

Current Funding.
2019-11-19 $241,227,605

GUESS THE NUMBER ON THE FUNDING TRACKER BY 1st DEC.

GO.

p/s: Please quote this so I don't have an excuse accidentally exclude your participation.

e: Participation closes the minutes before the Con. Nov 23 1PM GMT. (or when the Stream Begins).

$262,114,501 #IBelieveInChris

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Ambaire posted:

Dude you are just the king/queen of melodrama aren't you?

Sounds like you should work on improving your life and mental state rather than trying to disappear in an impossible game. That being said;

If a game replicates reality well enough to replace it, why wouldn't living in that game suck just as much as being alive in the real world?

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Updates:

WHEN IS SHITCON STARTING? CLICK > https://timee.io/20191123T1300?tl=CItizenCon

34 hours as of this post.

It's going to be interesting as the raffle ends in the middle of the sale before the big ships. Good luck all!

Agony Aunt I'm going for a cool 260 million.
Jobbo_Fett 247,861,935
Dogeh $262, 426, 969
monkeytek $248,424,242
Bubbacub $247,696,969
Quavers $250,424,242
spacetoaster 1$
Thoatse 247,420,069
his nibs $265,227,605
Baxta 258,522,420
Kosumo $248,457,941 (Just like Chris Roberts game design, I too pulled it out of my rear end)
Zaphod42 1m
Koil $251,947,069
jarlywarly $255,328,603
Jonny Shiloh $261,135,996 +/- $1
Sanya Juutilainen 255,420,069
Mr.PayDay so I am going with $252,020,24.
Peter.Quint $254,603,497
UnknownTarget 250,000,000
precision $255,743,119
Zazz Razzamatazz $267,999,999
Bofast $267,593,481
Inacio 258,000,000
GoingPostal $258,895,345 in successful jpeg sales.
Viscous Soda $242,779,811.99
TheAgent $246,948,655
AutismVaccine 252,080,085
Spatial 246,512,768
h3isenbug 256,789,012
Sabreseven $248,902,021
Dragonrah $253,769,823
Ponzi $265,000,000
Zzr $251,227,605
downout $253,112,149.45
Blue On Blue $260,000,000.69
The Titanic This will bring them to around: $249,842,042.42
Sandweed $246,948,658
Dark Off 249 million euros (250 million euros was already taken)
Dwesa $248,420,069
DigitalPenny $252,639,487.69
Taintrunner $245,150,420
Orions Lord $266.666.666
Colostomy Bag 263,100,100
commando in tophat $262,424,244
zebedy $251,000,000
Kikas Sign me up for 265,213,721 dollaridoos
Beexoffel My guess:$246,473,284.
Bootcha In honor of the new SQ54, $254,545,454.
Hazamuth $257,024,024
Barfolemew $251,345,678
Aramoro I'm going to go for the mathematically calculated value of 242199498
Iceclaw Put me down at a cool255,000,000.
1500 $261,227,605
Midnight Voyager $255,420,693
SoMoteItBe $254,421,541
Differo Cathedra $262,114,501 #IBelieveInChris

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Communist Thoughts posted:

Also did the star citizen thread recap go off site? I loved reading that but I appreciate its a lot of effort

It's been a few years since any of the thread regulars could muster the effort to do much beyond occasionally writing a couple of paragraphs to answer a question about SC jargon. CIG has been on auto pilot since 3.0 and has settled into a comfortable pattern every quarter - update the roadmap with big and anticipated items, create a minor unforced PR blunder that ruffles the feathers of backers for a few days, delay the big and anticipated items, hype the remaining smaller improvements, then spend the first month of the next quarter hot-fixing the broken release. It's kinda the same thing over and over, and things that would have been big dramas pre-3.0 (throwing out/refactoring the roadmap, ship sales fuckery) are no longer remarkable.

CitCon will be the only thing worth paying attention to for the next couple of years, because it is the only time where we get to witness the full blown id of Chris Roberts, and is when they reset everybody's expectations for the next twelve months with a fresh batch of bullshit. In 2018 'the road to release' was publishing a patch with OCS at the convention, followed by buying/renting ships, organisation system, full persistence, and server meshing. In 2019 they have done the two 'easy' things (ship rentals, and some rudimentary guild org stuff), whereas the 'hard' engine tech is nowhere in sight, and they still haven't even properly finished OCS. So I'm looking forward to learning about the on-ramp to the road to release this weekend.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

TheAgent posted:

if we could not bash a bunch of people for looking a little nerdy tho, that would be cool

Did I miss something, how is that bashing ppl for looking nerdy?

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Agony Aunt posted:

Half past swindle.

It's a well past swindle, i think it's 30 to theft

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Beet Wagon posted:

I love how hard he's been trying to make that meme a thing lol.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Hav posted:

Yikes.

Well, the third person body and first person view thing has been a staple of Arma for a very long time. You can hold your gun in a completely different direction to where you're looking, but most of the time people don't bother, because you want the business end of your bang-stick pointing vaguely in the direction of el bad guys.

They achieve this by not rendering the head on the local client, except for the hit box. This apparently was too hard for CiG, because they wanted to use a facerig system to convey emotions and have the third party head rendered for the first party.

It's what is known in development circles as 'slamming your tates in a drawer', because it's painful and unnecessary.

The other fun thing is that a three year old video can easily be compared to recent Twitch videos to find out *exactly* how the stated aim and the real thing shape up.

And some of us are actually backers; it runs like poo poo and they're dedicated to making money to offset the numerous setbacks that they've had. However, just a small amount of money can entirely assuage your feelings of 'Goon Hive Mind', just be sure and come and tell us how much fun you're having.

You know nothing about game development you fudster. TRY HARDER. What have you done? probably some rando mopping floors. Let me tell you about real game development. Actually why don't I show you ... https://robertsspaceindustries.com/ you can find all your answers there. Buy an Idris if you dare

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

Ambaire posted:

They want to have it feel realistic.

Have a few quotes from that thread I linked.

Seems like the devs are trying to create something new and not blindly copy everything that's come before.

I'm curious if anyone here has actually watched that video I linked, or if this thread is an echo chamber of negativity by now and nothing can disrupt the hivemind.

ok I watched, he's wrong about go-pros, go-pros do have camera stabilization, 3rd person bodies have existed in 1st person games for well over 15 years now, so thats not new either, stop buying into the bullshit, also that guy probably doesn't work for CI anymore so besides nothing in the video being actually true, because the despite head bobbing in star citizen being pretty bad, was made to look worse in that video just to "prove" they were working on fixing something.

Edit:
Just to expand on this; We are not just an echo chamber of negativity because we are some hivemind, we are negative towards everything about this project because there is nothing positive to say about it. I would love to be proven wrong anything CI actually does that is good and heading in the direction of what they promise to people.

But time and time again, they just show that the people working on this are completely incompetent/ actively lying on a camera such as the video you posted. scamming people who are completely doey eyed over a .jpg space ship website or a series that died in the era of FMV.

Don't believe their BS, nothing that they state actually gets delivered.

stingtwo fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Nov 22, 2019

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

I hate star citizen so much, laughing at this piece of poo poo video game over the course of several years has made me very angry

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/1197620806555181064

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Gonna guess based on the lack of jpeg that the "goodies," even as rudimentary as they are, do not even exist

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Sarsapariller posted:

Gonna guess based on the lack of jpeg that the "goodies," even as rudimentary as they are, do not even exist

but just think of what might be in the digital goodies bag!!

It could be anything !!! That's got to be a good deal.

I reckon it could be a sand worm egg... So you can start your own sand worm farm in space!

I bet when my worm grows up I could use it to make my own caves !!!

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Colostomy Bag posted:

I'm not sure what is more comical.

1) Citcon by itself
2) A dentistry convention in the UK
3) Held at the exact same time

I'll go with:

4) The "Citizens" from CitCon trying to recruit dentists into the Star Citizen scam.

Of course, dentists may be receptive, since SC is about as fun as pulling teeth at this point.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Viscous Soda posted:

I'll go with:

4) The "Citizens" from CitCon trying to recruit dentists into the Star Citizen scam.

Of course, dentists may be receptive, since SC is about as fun as pulling teeth at this point.

No offense to any dentists here, but as a whole, dentists are gullible as hell. There was a dude selling fake Subway franchises to dentists on the east coast of the US a few years back who would have gotten away with several million dollars if he had known when to quit.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

this thread is not an echo chamber
it's a greek chorus for gaming's biggest comedy

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

no_recall posted:

Looking back at the raffle spreadsheets, this thread has given more game than Star Citizen has.

We must thank CR for bringing us together around the dumpster fire.

Lets gets drunk and goondeyadda as CitizenCon streams.

In 2016, Sandweed won a copy of Hellblade (courtesy of TheAgent) with the guess of 7.4M raised

Stuff i've scraped so far: (tell me if yours is missing)
Agony Aunt I'm going for a cool 260 million.
Jobbo_Fett 247,861,935
Dogeh $262, 426, 969
monkeytek $248,424,242
Bubbacub $247,696,969
Quavers $250,424,242
spacetoaster 1$
Thoatse 247,420,069
his nibs $265,227,605
Baxta 258,522,420
Kosumo $248,457,941 (Just like Chris Roberts game design, I too pulled it out of my rear end)
Zaphod42 1m
Koil $251,947,069
jarlywarly $255,328,603
Jonny Shiloh $261,135,996 +/- $1
Sanya Juutilainen 255,420,069
Mr.PayDay so I am going with $252,020,24.
Peter.Quint $254,603,497
UnknownTarget 250,000,000
precision $255,743,119
Zazz Razzamatazz $267,999,999
Bofast $267,593,481
Inacio 258,000,000
GoingPostal $258,895,345 in successful jpeg sales.
Viscous Soda $242,779,811.99
TheAgent $246,948,655
AutismVaccine 252,080,085
Spatial 246,512,768
h3isenbug 256,789,012
Sabreseven $248,902,021
Dragonrah $253,769,823
Ponzi $265,000,000
Zzr $251,227,605

This is fake news, I already had Hellblade so I gave the copy I won to TheAgent.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

"Have you ever had a dream that you, um, you had, your, you- you could, you’ll do, you- you wants, you, you could do so, you- you’ll do, you could- you, you want, you want them to do you so much you could do anything?"

:Crobberts:

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Also the new friend sounds really depressed poor thing

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Solarin posted:

I hate star citizen so much, laughing at this piece of poo poo video game over the course of several years has made me very angry

Lets turborub!

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Communist Thoughts posted:

When's citizencon? Me and my partner always try and watch them even if we can't keep up with the drama day to day.

o7 commandos

https://pricelesstrainwreck.github.io/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Raskolnikov posted:

"Have you ever had a dream that you, um, you had, your, you- you could, you’ll do, you- you wants, you, you could do so, you- you’ll do, you could- you, you want, you want them to do you so much you could do anything?"

:Crobberts:
thank you, i hadn't thought of that clip in years.