Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i resent placing the dreamcast among those. like, the virtual boy and cd-i and whatever exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
the dreamcast tanked sega so hard they stopped making consoles

mystes
May 31, 2006

Cybernetic Vermin has a point. It makes sense to compare Stadia to things like the Powerglove and E.T., but the Dreamcast was a perfectly functional product despite failing.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i don't think it was intentional

pram
Jun 10, 2001

mystes posted:

Aren't the Powerglove, Atari ET, and the Dreamcast all failed products?

jfc

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
the dreamcast at least had the best port of a few titles
stadia sucks for all titles at least until they release a 1000 player battle royale game

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

mystes posted:

Aren't the Powerglove, Atari ET, and the Dreamcast all failed products?

mystes posted:

Cybernetic Vermin has a point. It makes sense to compare Stadia to things like the Powerglove and E.T., but the Dreamcast was a perfectly functional product despite failing.

lol

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the dreamcast was designed in a hilariously incompetent fashion though, even coming off the saturn which was an even bigger failure sega japan management wouldn't listen to anybody about anything, particularly game developers

it actually did pretty well considering how close it was to taking down the whole company before it even came out

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it lost them ea because of the technical choices they made in development

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

nah. the *saturn* killed sega. they flogged it for 6 years selling 10 million. the dreamcast sold most of 10 million in the 18 months where they tried, but it was too obvious to them at that point that their name was mud and the window was closing on being a real competitor.

the saturn was a shitshow in every way, but it is remembered lovingly because they kept trying, the dreamcast was way better but too late.

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
google is dropping the ball in a big way with stadia and its hilarious to see. not only because it never gets old how unlikable and incapable they have become, they are also about to piss off the only people who still sort of like google at this point. the reddit man baby android gamer people. the failure of stadia is going to be so much more entertaining than stadia itself.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Maximum Leader posted:

google is dropping the ball in a big way with stadia and its hilarious to see. not only because it never gets old how unlikable and incapable they have become, they are also about to piss off the only people who still sort of like google at this point. the reddit man baby android gamer people. the failure of stadia is going to be so much more entertaining than stadia itself.
that crowd tends to be pc gamers anyway so cloud games probably wasn't their market

I'd guess some product manager's kid got hooked on fortnight mobile so they thought "how can we insert ourselves as an unnecessary gatekeeping middleman in this market?"

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

qirex posted:

that crowd tends to be pc gamers anyway so cloud games probably wasn't their market

I'd guess some product manager's kid got hooked on fortnight mobile so they thought "how can we insert ourselves as an unnecessary gatekeeping middleman in this market?"

fair point but maybe they are getting it for the tv, ultrabook or phone? I don't see how anyone outside of that demographic would be interested at all

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
lol of you think anyone at google thought this through beyond “wouldn’t it be cool if we did this thing”

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Maximum Leader posted:

fair point but maybe they are getting it for the tv, ultrabook or phone? I don't see how anyone outside of that demographic would be interested at all

it’s a quite easy to identify demographic:

young, urban, opts for the fastest internet possible, loves pc games so much they don’t even care what they play, upper-middle class, doesn’t own a computer with a graphics card.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

it’s amazing how well they copied OnLive, even down to the sheer incompetence.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
the giantbomb says that it works okay but it feels cobbled together and thought they really should have made this an early access beta and released it in a year. I'm guessing to you don't get a sweet bonus if it's a beta tho

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

EL BROMANCE posted:

it’s amazing how well they copied OnLive, even down to the sheer incompetence.

fun fact: onlive’s office building was walking distance from the google campus. it was recently torn down and replaced by a google building.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
ready to board a flight with my trusty google pixel 4 xl

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

the Russians just used Bluetooth

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

anyone who actually turns on airplane mode at anytime while on a flight is a coward

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

russians clap when the wheels touch down for reasons

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Bulgakov posted:

That's making a huge presumption that the brakes will work. Safer to wait and applaud the crew from inside the terminal building imo.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

jammyozzy posted:

That's making a huge presumption that the brakes will work. Safer to wait and applaud the crew from inside the terminal building imo.

haha I believe it

my fault for not having flown on any airliner much skeezier than domestic aeroflot

a cabin full of people happy they successfully arrived is :allears:

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

Bulgakov posted:

always?

i've seen it happen in europe after an especially turbulent flight or scary landing approach, but not as convention

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Bulgakov posted:

a don't believe for a second a russian would clap for anything as mundane as "plane landing"

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

Boiled Water posted:

a don't believe for a second a russian would clap for anything as mundane as "plane landing"

lol. i was taking a 1 hour domestic flight recently, we got stuck on the tarmac for 3 hours because there was a fault with the plane they initially thought they could fix. the delay was a drag, but the real issue was the pair of karens in the seats in front of us throwing endless tantrums in front of the child they were with, and that they didn't bring out the drinks trolley

sometimes stoicism and vodka is the right way

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

id also accept stoicism and rye

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bulgakov posted:

anyone who actually turns on airplane mode at anytime while on a flight is a coward

it beats the hell out of your battery if you leave the radio on over the ocean.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Midjack posted:

it beats the hell out of your battery if you leave the radio on over the ocean.

yeah, or during all flights in general. i prefer to have my battery not dead from searching for signal constantly thanks

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

turn on airplane mode then enable bluetooth

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Pinterest Mom posted:

turn on airplane mode then enable bluetooth

do this. also WiFi.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

it looks like ios remembers the state of wifi and bluetooth in airplane mode now so itll toggle to whatever it last was. nice! i wonder if android 10 does this now too

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
yeah it does

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Bulgakov posted:

killing ur battery to own the libs

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/9633006

im out of anything clever or funny to say about google shutting down another service.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

apples just used some cups

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
printers are the devil. i don't blame google for washing their hands of them

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
we all should admit defeat and admit that using computers to reliably put ink on paper was a fool's dream

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

translating the digital into the physical... the unreal into the real.. it is a dark art. it is not a thing for man to know.

it has a price. in blood.