Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea I think streaming is definitely here to stay but the Streaming Wars will be a real thing that has to be worked through over the next 5-10 years. Huge brands like Disney will be able to survive(if they decide they want to continue to put the resources in, which I see no reason why they wouldn't) but we'll probably see plenty of failures as well. The CBS one seems doomed to failure because their main target audience is people who don't depend on streaming nearly as much as younger people who are more likely to have cut the cable t.v. cord.

I think we'll see Netflix contract it's productions during that time, because they really can't afford to continue raising subscription prices to cover the fact that they aren't making money. But I can't imagine them folding entirely, considering how many customers they currently have in various places around the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

NBC's service is also doomed to die.

I'm 50/50 on if Apple's will work out or not. The only thing it has in it's favor is sheer potential subscribers. But the content doesn't seem like it'll win anyone over. I've heard it called "expensive NBC" :laugh:

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Apple positioned themselves with a free year grace period by giving it away. I think their plan is to see if they can get some kind of buzzworthy show going before the end of that year so they don't just get an en mass cancelation.

I'm interested in where HBO Max goes since AT&T is leveraged to the hilt on this and even after their presentations, people seem to come back with more questions than answers.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
It's wild how AT&T is just de-premiuming HBO. Like, what a weird use of that brand, to do the thing they're doing with it.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

TheScott2K posted:

It's wild how AT&T is just de-premiuming HBO. Like, what a weird use of that brand, to do the thing they're doing with it.

I think it's funny that they're moving Doom Patrol to HBO Max probably because everyone just knows the DC Universe is going to poo poo the bed any day now. DCU is total poo poo and pretty much the only thing they had going for them is Doom Patrol which people only saw because they watched it during the free trial. They made a Swamp Thing show on a bigger budget than they could afford and it got cancelled before they even put up the first episode. It also sucks.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

More to do with streaming, but many of the 4K masters on Disney+ are pretty significant upgrades over existing Blu-ray releases. I know enough has been spoken of regarding Star Wars, but it seems like the opening crawl is a proper film-based version instead of the digitally re-done one on Blu-ray. You can even see a little bit of gate weave and grain. For that matter, the bulk of the film looks amazing, but all the shots with digital "fixes" look much softer as if they lifted them from the 2004 transfer.

One of the big upgrades is The Sword in the Stone. The Blu-ray uses an absolutely wretched noise reduced version that looks worse than the old Predator Blu. The 4K HDR version on Disney+ looks amazing - but what's curious is that there's no grain removal. If this is the direction they're taking for 4K versions of the pre-CAPS features, I'm all for it. Too bad I can't screenshot it because it's honestly every bit as beautiful as the remastered cartoons Warner has been releasing.

Who Framed Roger Rabbit is also in 4K HDR, looking quite stunning. All the effects shots look just slightly grainier, but they completely removed the subtle flicker. Really shows how well it was originally composited.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

More to do with streaming, but many of the 4K masters on Disney+ are pretty significant upgrades over existing Blu-ray releases. I know enough has been spoken of regarding Star Wars, but it seems like the opening crawl is a proper film-based version instead of the digitally re-done one on Blu-ray. You can even see a little bit of gate weave and grain. For that matter, the bulk of the film looks amazing, but all the shots with digital "fixes" look much softer as if they lifted them from the 2004 transfer.

One of the big upgrades is The Sword in the Stone. The Blu-ray uses an absolutely wretched noise reduced version that looks worse than the old Predator Blu. The 4K HDR version on Disney+ looks amazing - but what's curious is that there's no grain removal. If this is the direction they're taking for 4K versions of the pre-CAPS features, I'm all for it. Too bad I can't screenshot it because it's honestly every bit as beautiful as the remastered cartoons Warner has been releasing.

Who Framed Roger Rabbit is also in 4K HDR, looking quite stunning. All the effects shots look just slightly grainier, but they completely removed the subtle flicker. Really shows how well it was originally composited.

MacClunky!

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Egbert Souse posted:

That's cool and all but it'd be nice if they can start with offering up the OAR on everything, cropped 16:9 is insulting

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

zer0spunk posted:

That's cool and all but it'd be nice if they can start with offering up the OAR on everything, cropped 16:9 is insulting

The Sword in the Stone, Mary Poppins, The Jungle Book, The Aristocats, Robin hood, etc all meant to be 1.75:1

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Nov 16, 2019

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
Good old Tobin.

(Sorry.)

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Eureka's got a general November sale on, including their hardcover copy of The Last Waltz with a hundred page book for 14 pounds, and Lucky for 8 pounds. Their Once Upon A Time In China and Lubitsch box sets are on there too, as well as their new release of Verhoeven's Flesh+Blood.

They've also got a new region B version of Dragon Inn and a few Jackie Chan flicks IIRC, because I know we've got a few wuxia/HK cinema fans floating about.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
Are the 20-30 dollar euro version of possession any good? I saw the film and liked it but don't want to pay 40 for the mondo release.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I, Butthole posted:

Eureka's got a general November sale on, including their hardcover copy of The Last Waltz with a hundred page book for 14 pounds, and Lucky for 8 pounds. Their Once Upon A Time In China and Lubitsch box sets are on there too, as well as their new release of Verhoeven's Flesh+Blood.

They've also got a new region B version of Dragon Inn and a few Jackie Chan flicks IIRC, because I know we've got a few wuxia/HK cinema fans floating about.

I'm a disc into the Lubitsch set and they're a lot of fun. Good timing since I managed to find a deal on a new all-region player since my Sony died. Even MoC's regular prices are really good.

Also worth noting that Amazon UK has a sale on Indicator box sets - Fuller at Columbia, both Castle at Columbia, Hammer Vol 2 and 3, Randolph Scott, and Harryhausen Vol. 1.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Egbert Souse posted:

Also worth noting that Amazon UK has a sale on Indicator box sets - Fuller at Columbia, both Castle at Columbia, Hammer Vol 2 and 3, Randolph Scott, and Harryhausen Vol. 1.

Awesome, thanks for the tip! I have vol 2 of the Harryhausen sets but not the first one. A bit over $36 shipped to the US. I have both William Castle sets, they are absolutely excellent and essential. Straight Jacket and Homicidal are two of my favorite Psycho ripoffs... I actually prefer those two to Hitchcock's film if I'm being honest.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Hamilton Books has a pretty good selection of OOP Scream Factory titles for cheap:

https://www.hamiltonbook.com/produc...0&power_search=

Scored Empire of the Ants / Jaws of Satan and Stigmata, which were the two SF discs that I was having trouble getting from Amazon, etc., and only $10 each

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

That's kind of not a great comparison because the '83 crash did pretty much kill video games outright

Only in North America! Never hit Japan or Europe or anywhere else.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Second Sight confirmed Dawn of the Dead has been delayed to early next year due to the longer time anticipated for restoration. They did confirm that it'll have the three cuts on UHD (theatrical, director's cut, and Italian cut) and they'll also be restorating/releasing Martin.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

and they'll also be restorating/releasing Martin.

It's about goddamn time. If you hear about a release date or other information about the release can you give me a heads up?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Egbert Souse posted:

Second Sight confirmed Dawn of the Dead has been delayed to early next year due to the longer time anticipated for restoration. They did confirm that it'll have the three cuts on UHD (theatrical, director's cut, and Italian cut) and they'll also be restorating/releasing Martin.

Whoa, I had no idea about this. Are Second Sight releases usually up to snuff?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I saw Martin in theaters earlier this year and I'm excited. It's a good movie!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Cloks posted:

I saw Martin in theaters earlier this year and I'm excited. It's a good movie!

I still have the lovely Anchor Bay DVD so I've been hoping for a blu-ray for years.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

So Paris is Burning is getting a Criterion release.

About loving time.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Nov 21, 2019

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Vagabundo posted:

So Paris is Burning is getting a Criterion release.

About loving time.

gently caress yes

I got to watch it at a local theatre earlier this year and it was a ball on the big screen, corny rear end pun intended. It’s presumably the same restoration that’s been showing this year in which case: it’s dope

DeimosRising fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Nov 21, 2019

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

Is this the right place to ask about a solid UHD blu ray player? Finally jumped back into physical media with the latest Barnes and Noble Criterion sale. I've been using my old ps3 for now but with Black Friday coming and per BF deals going on now I'm wondering there's a good deal out there. Got some UHD stuff coming and my tv can do 4k, so that won't be a problem.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Commissar Canuck posted:

Is this the right place to ask about a solid UHD blu ray player? Finally jumped back into physical media with the latest Barnes and Noble Criterion sale. I've been using my old ps3 for now but with Black Friday coming and per BF deals going on now I'm wondering there's a good deal out there. Got some UHD stuff coming and my tv can do 4k, so that won't be a problem.

I think the best overall player right now is this one, because it's reasonably priced and has Dolby Vision capability, which most other players don't.

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-UBP-X70...ps%2C136&sr=8-3

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Commissar Canuck posted:

Xbox one is a reasonable player. Not the best, but the price is good and plays games. I think you can get a new one with the new Star Wars game for $200 on Black Friday weekend.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
If anyone is looking for cheap Disney movies, check your local VarageSale, Kijiji, Facebook marketplace, whatever is popular in your area. People are unloading these things like crazy now that Disney+ is a thing.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Goddamn. I wish PT Anderson’s first few films would get the UHD treatment. Namely Boogie Nights and There Will Be Blood. The latter wasn’t digital, was it?

EDIT: the new Arrow ROBOCOP Steelbook is $19.99 at BestBuy.com and Amazon.com. You might as well grab it at that price. I honestly think the last decade really proved that movie right. Ugh. Love and hate that. But love the film!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

There Will Be Blood was indeed 35mm.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Has PTA even shot anything digitally?

(I haven't watched any of his music videos so possibly? God bless him if he's shooting Haim on 35mm I guess)

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
His Thom Yorke videos were shot on film.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

caligulamprey posted:

Has PTA even shot anything digitally?

(I haven't watched any of his music videos so possibly? God bless him if he's shooting Haim on 35mm I guess)

Nope, he’s one of those directors who swore he would always shoot film.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Boywhiz88 posted:

Goddamn. I wish PT Anderson’s first few films would get the UHD treatment. Namely Boogie Nights and There Will Be Blood. The latter wasn’t digital, was it?

EDIT: the new Arrow ROBOCOP Steelbook is $19.99 at BestBuy.com and Amazon.com. You might as well grab it at that price. I honestly think the last decade really proved that movie right. Ugh. Love and hate that. But love the film!

But I have the one from 2013, what is different about the arrow one

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

But I have the one from 2013, what is different about the arrow one

It comes in a different box and has a bunch of special features you'll probably never watch.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Kino's appears to be giving up on 4K for the time being, cancelling the Man With No Name UHD trilogy release.

I wonder if it's related to Hannibal not selling well because it was loving Hannibal

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

CPL593H posted:

It comes in a different box and has a bunch of special features you'll probably never watch.

I'm gonna watch a special feature one of these days!

I just find that too many special features are fluff that aren't worth engaging with. A few Shout releases I have included some great 30 minute docs on old monster movies which were excellent, but so often it's just some talking heads jerking a movie off which couldn't be less interesting to me. I wish there were some resource that actually highlighted which ones were worth watching. As it is I feel like I waste my time 90% of the time when I turn one on, so I just rarely do unless I'm really jonesing for more after the film.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

The new Robocop disc from Arrow has a few things that sold me on picking it up (along with the Amazon price):

· Edited-for-television version of the film, featuring alternate dubs, takes and edits of several scenes (95 mins, SD only)

· Split screen comparison of Theatrical and Director s Cuts

· RoboCop: Edited For Television, a compilation of alternate scenes from two edited-for-television versions, newly transferred in HD from recently-unearthed 35mm elements

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I, Butthole posted:

Kino's appears to be giving up on 4K for the time being, cancelling the Man With No Name UHD trilogy release.

I wonder if it's related to Hannibal not selling well because it was loving Hannibal

Hopefully the success of Tammy and the T-Rex will relight that UHD fire under the other boutiques.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

ultraviolence123 posted:

· Split screen comparison of Theatrical and Director s Cuts

that's cool, I wish this was a thing more releases had

Iron Crowned posted:

Hopefully the success of Tammy and the T-Rex will relight that UHD fire under the other boutiques.

I ordered the UHD version even though I don't have a UHD player yet, just to show support for the format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

I, Butthole posted:

Yea I dunno what they were thinking with Hannibal, it seemed like such an odd choice. I mean, I bought it on day 1 and it's an excellent UHD but I knew it wasn't gonna sell.

Re: P.T. Anderson, there has to be some specific reason why none of his stuff has a UHD release right? I wonder if he's just not a fan of the format. Although I suppose he's not the only one, Tarantino and Wes Anderson don't have any films on UHD either(that will change for Tarantino next month though).