Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

I've never watched DBZ but I've seen it referenced a lot. A DBZ fan once tried to explain power levels to me and he went like "at this level the person can fire a beam to explode the moon" and I remember wondering how many moons that planet had if exploding one is a unit of measurement.

Also sometimes the characters are adults and sometimes they are chibi kids and one has a monkey tail for some reason? I think the orange one is the hero?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

It only has one moon, but they use magic to put it back after it gets destroyed, which happens multiple times.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Eschenique posted:

I've never watched DBZ but I've seen it referenced a lot. A DBZ fan once tried to explain power levels to me and he went like "at this level the person can fire a beam to explode the moon" and I remember wondering how many moons that planet had if exploding one is a unit of measurement.

Also sometimes the characters are adults and sometimes they are chibi kids and one has a monkey tail for some reason? I think the orange one is the hero?

Power levels are meaningless nonsense and trying to slap numbers on them is an exercise in futility. The only way they matter is if one character's power level is higher than another's the higher level will win because they have authorial fiat behind them. Eventually the villains run out of authorial fiat and the hero's power level goes up and the villain dies.

Example: One character has a power level of 26k and casually blows up a planet with no wind up. In a later arc a character with a power level somewhere north of 50 million fails to blow up a planet after a screaming wind up about how he's going to win the fight because his enemy can't breathe in space. This is a thing that happened in DBZ.

The whole concept of power levels pervades anime at this point and never started being anything other than whole cloth bullshit.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010
Planets have power levels too.

I have no idea wth is going on when people talk about DBZ. I just remember watching a marathon with a friend when I was younger, and I thought it was boring as hell. "Why are they yelling at each other for so long?" "It's been 4 episodes, I'm sure his little power shot thing is powered up by now..."

Then my friend fell asleep in the begining of Event Horizon. And I stayed up and watched the entire movie. I was like 12 or 13 at the time. That movie hosed me up.

Anyways, the mod looks fun, and I've been looking at playing through Terraria again. So I think I'll give it a shot.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Complications posted:

The whole concept of power levels pervades anime at this point and never started being anything other than whole cloth bullshit.

iirc the "real" measure of power level is something like, an average (or exceptionally strong?) human is power level 1. something that is power level 2 will in a vacuum defeat an unarmed human with its bare hands, and something that's power level 3 can defeat an unarmed PL2 creature with its bare hands, and so on and so forth. it's basically ELO for muscles

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

They dropped power levels it’s more about tiers these days than numbers

My point is to play with Kaioken x100 on at all times

FrenchBen
Nov 30, 2013

Do the DBZ additions affect terrain as well? Even with dynamite, drilling hellevators for before hardmode is a massive chore, a good old Kamehameha straight down should make the process much faster.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Does the game still delete drops on the ground when there's a lot of it?

It bothered me a bit that I had to dive into tje fray and collect loot mid fight.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

The White Dragon posted:

iirc the "real" measure of power level is something like, an average (or exceptionally strong?) human is power level 1. something that is power level 2 will in a vacuum defeat an unarmed human with its bare hands, and something that's power level 3 can defeat an unarmed PL2 creature with its bare hands, and so on and so forth. it's basically ELO for muscles

Yeah but then it goes into ridiculous hyperinflation and you end up with things like the "over nine thousands" meme.

FrenchBen posted:

Do the DBZ additions affect terrain as well? Even with dynamite, drilling hellevators for before hardmode is a massive chore, a good old Kamehameha straight down should make the process much faster.

There's the instavator from Fargo's Mutant Mod.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
It tries really hard not to by stacking adjacent identical items.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Well gently caress me. I asked steam to do an integrity check of my Terraria files and it rolled my character and map back 6 days. Guess I'm done with Terraria for the year. And I had just gotten the ankh shield too.

Steam is such a hard working boy that it even reverted the backups and wiped out modloader and everything.

Eschenique fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Nov 22, 2019

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
So I've never modded this game. I got the mod launcher and downloaded omniswing and veinminer because I saw them recommended in this thread, but there's waaaaay more mods than I ever expected to see. Is there a mod that makes herbs autoreplant themselves? It's annoying hitting herbs with the staff of regrowth and then having to dig into my inventory to find the seeds to manually put them back in the planter.

Any recommendations for other mods I should try are also welcome. DBZ looks funny but it looks like it's all on the player side, and overpowered stuff without appropriate enemies to use it on is only half a sandwich.

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
Reinstall the tModloader, your characters should be safe. tModloader keeps your modded characters and worlds in another folder. It also has backups for both your characters and worlds.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

As usual, I find Thorium to be an easy recommend for people getting interested in modding. It slots in easily with vanilla Terraria in both visual style and design and mostly is just Terraria+. The other content mods can wait as they usually change a bit too much of the default formula.

As for non-content mods, I cannot recommend Magic Storage strongly enough. It's seriously fantastic.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Complications posted:

Look buddy I'm an anime expert, and power levels in no sense 'pervade anime,' and I've literally never seen them in anything but Dragonball Z.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Mzbundifund posted:

So I've never modded this game. I got the mod launcher and downloaded omniswing and veinminer because I saw them recommended in this thread, but there's waaaaay more mods than I ever expected to see. Is there a mod that makes herbs autoreplant themselves? It's annoying hitting herbs with the staff of regrowth and then having to dig into my inventory to find the seeds to manually put them back in the planter.

Just get the Alchemist NPC mod and buy the potions you want, never bother with gardening again.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

That Guy Bob posted:

Reinstall the tModloader, your characters should be safe. tModloader keeps your modded characters and worlds in another folder. It also has backups for both your characters and worlds.

Hey thanks that worked!

Was using an editor to give myself a sun stone because 7 or so golem kills netted me none and I wasn't about to grind Lizardhites for an evening for power cells for another 7 attempts.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Complications posted:

John Lee posted:

Look buddy I'm an anime expert, and power levels in no sense 'pervade anime,' and I've literally never seen them in anything but Dragonball Z.

i mean there was a time when they were absolutely all over the place for sure but they only ever pervaded the shounen genre and have fallen out of favor so much that even dragonball super didn't really bring them up

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

FrenchBen posted:

No but one of my other mods lets you build an Instavator which just instantly builds a shaft to the bottom of the map with a rope and lighting and walls (both on the sides and back walls) and it's very handy.

Cat Mattress posted:

Yeah but then it goes into ridiculous hyperinflation and you end up with things like the "over nine thousands" meme.
I believe in the japanese version the line was that it was too high for the device to measure, not a specific number.

quote:

There's the instavator from Fargo's Mutant Mod.
:hmmyes: I've dug enough hell shafts the normal way, this thing is a lifesaver.

Mzbundifund posted:

Any recommendations for other mods I should try are also welcome. DBZ looks funny but it looks like it's all on the player side, and overpowered stuff without appropriate enemies to use it on is only half a sandwich.
There's a mod which lets you make chests which just generate some resources every morning when it rolls over form night to day, one of which is for herbs, yes. Auto Chests. It's very helpful and if you're not cheating to generate them in the first place the construction costs make them more "I have proven I can do this, now you do it for me" than an outright cheat.

Thirding Magic Storage, it's so nice to not have to juggle fifteen million chests. You may want to cheat in some of the stuff to get started, though, since doing it legit means you'll have to wait long enough you'll need to use normal chests for a while.

I can go look at the mods I'm using and give more detailed recommendations later. EDIT: I know one of them makes the Goblin Tinker sell tokens that let you swap boss drops to other boss drops at a cost (of however much it takes to buy the token), which is nice for those "i need a picksaw to progress but the Golem really doesn't want to drop one" or "where the gently caress is a Sun Stone" issues

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Zereth posted:

There's a mod which lets you make chests which just generate some resources every morning when it rolls over form night to day, one of which is for herbs, yes. Auto Chests. It's very helpful and if you're not cheating to generate them in the first place the construction costs make them more "I have proven I can do this, now you do it for me" than an outright cheat.
Of all the mods designed to cut out busywork this is one of my favorites, simply because of how it facilitates things like building materials and other stuff that's not hard to get but is sort of a timesink.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

Of all the mods designed to cut out busywork this is one of my favorites, simply because of how it facilitates things like building materials and other stuff that's not hard to get but is sort of a timesink.
:hmmyes: "Oh poo poo, i suddenly need a hundred pieces of Shadewood for a thing! *takes normal wood to the Wood Gatherer and converts it into Shadewood*"

If you want to do Magic Storage legit ("legit", i guess), the gem gatherer is very useful given how basically everything in Magic Storage uses gems.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
There's a million mods that add recipes that let you craft various hard to get drops. Though this past playthrough, I added a mod called Reduced Grinding that I saw mentioned here in the thread. It's full of nice quality of life things that ease a lot of the edges.

Like an inventory token called the Coin of Luck (or something to that effect) from the Wall of Flesh that makes it more likely you'll get better weapon reforges as long as you hold it. It can be upgraded quite a ways into Hard Mode to make it affect accessories too.

I also really like the Fargos Mutant Mod. Lemme quote the wiki for this one:

quote:

Fargo's Mutant Mod is a quality of life mod that adds several features to reducing grinding. It features three new Town NPCs, which sell boss summons, event summons, and wood – including many from other mods. Additionally, it provides the ability to convert various weapons into a variant which deals throwing damage, several new ways to obtain rare items, and a number of other useful tools.

It actually makes a throwing damage playthrough viable, with recipes to convert a bunch of weapons to deal throwing damage instead of something else.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

It seems like every mod in town has worked to 'make throwing viable', to the point where it has an absolutely bonkers amount of support now. Which makes it incredibly funny how JE is apparently ditching Throwing as a damage type entirely and folding it into Ranged.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Zereth posted:

"I have proven I can do this, now you do it for me"

I feel the vanilla game could use more of this. Like me having to kill 15+ golems and the hours worth of farming lizards normally required to get an accessory it drops at 12% chance.

Like back before the Onyx Blaster was a thing and when the destroyer emblem required all 3 of the regular emblems. A player might have to spend hours farming guide voodoo dolls and killing the wall of flesh over and over again to get the clockwork assault rifle and all the emblems.

Edit: why is bouncy dynamite even a thing? Jesus christ.

Double edit: Loved the idea of the molotov cocktails. Too bad they're crap from the get go.

Eschenique fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Nov 22, 2019

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Bouncy Dynamite exists because chaos is fun

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Molotovs were extremely powerful and easy to make for over a year then one of the early 1.3 releases halved their damage and added the rather asinine pink gel requirement.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

dis astranagant posted:

Molotovs were extremely powerful and easy to make for over a year then one of the early 1.3 releases halved their damage and added the rather asinine pink gel requirement.

I just found out about them now and I usually encounter a pinky early on so that's like 150 molotovs. But even spamming them they don't really do well with anything. Maybe if I threw 5 at every rando skeleton they might work well... If all I had was the starting sword... but that's not what I needed.

Maybe they should have been made from any gel (with a 2 for 1 ratio or so) and done more single target damage.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

the DBZ mod is pretty fun by the way

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I wish bosses dropped its major upgrades the first time you fight them instead of making you grind for them.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Yeah, either there's a bug or I'm getting astonishingly, once-in-a-lifetime unlucky, because I have fought the Eye of Cthulhu nearly twenty times and he ain't dropped his Ki Shard. It's supposed to be a 25% chance!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

John Lee posted:

Yeah, either there's a bug or I'm getting astonishingly, once-in-a-lifetime unlucky, because I have fought the Eye of Cthulhu nearly twenty times and he ain't dropped his Ki Shard. It's supposed to be a 25% chance!

I got 2 shards in half a dozen attempts but no kaioken.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

dis astranagant posted:

I wish bosses dropped its major upgrades the first time you fight them instead of making you grind for them.
i fight them a few times and then open cheat sheet if I don't have it yet

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Random drops are the one major flaw in Terraria. Grinding bosses, enemies, fishing and so on for the one item you want at a low drop chance with no guarantee you'll ever get it just isn't fun. The weird thing is the game already has implemented a great answer to the random grinding - most bosses drop a resource you can use to make things - then just ignores that mechanic and says no, you have to specifically get this at 15% drop rate.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

Tenebrais posted:

Random drops are the one major flaw in Terraria. Grinding bosses, enemies, fishing and so on for the one item you want at a low drop chance with no guarantee you'll ever get it just isn't fun. The weird thing is the game already has implemented a great answer to the random grinding - most bosses drop a resource you can use to make things - then just ignores that mechanic and says no, you have to specifically get this at 15% drop rate.

Well TBH random drops are never locking you out of progressing in the game, they become an issue when you try to get exactly the setup you want. Killing the wall If flesh progressed the game and nets you ”a useful item” 75% of the time. Was it the breaker blade and you have a ranged setup? Oh Well Its still propably going to the toolbelt.

For someone playing the first time- the most important terraria experience- they arent such a huge issue.

The only really one-of-a kind random drop that is nearly mandatory to progress is the cosmic car key, since Its absolutely massive force multiplier for lunar cultist/moonlord.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Honestly the lunar car key is such a downgrade mobility wise if you know what you’re doing I never use it

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Zereth posted:

i fight them a few times and then open cheat sheet if I don't have it yet

Yeah, still annoying when mods think its a good idea to make me do that.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

watho posted:

Honestly the lunar car key is such a downgrade mobility wise if you know what you’re doing I never use it

Yeah the UFO mount absolutely cannot match the mobility of a player properly slinging themselves around and is honestly imo detrimental against Moon Lord since it won't let you reliably dodge all the poo poo happening in that fight.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I don't use the Cosmic Car Key for the Moon Lord but in pretty much any other fight it lets you replace your wings with another combat accessory which I find incredibly useful in Expert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

It just makes you move unbearably slow compared to how you can zip around with wings and a dash. I used it for expert moon lord back when 1.3 was new but i just can’t deal with the speed penalty anymore