Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Anime_Otaku posted:

Do the other races get anything similar to a Smash Captain? Not necessarily a vehicle killer, maybe something like a single character or small squad that can be set up in a way that they can wipe a big blob of infantry in a turn?

There actually isn't a lot of stuff which does exactly what the smash captains do, outside a solitaire. Flying hive tyrants and demon princes with wings are also kinda similar (but requires relics and/or warlord traits to match a bog standard smash captain). You can find equally hard hitting dudes, but especially the combination of the smashing part, with the extremely good flying mobility and small footprint is hard to find. The latter two is a huge part of what them so good. High mobility and small footprint makes it almost impossible to defend against them, since you almost always also want to spread your units out in order to screen for deep strike threats as well. Small/fast also means you can do stuff like deploy him on the board, and in the first movement phase, move a group of forward positioned scouts/infiltrators close to the enemy lines, and make a captain sized hole in the group, then move the captain into that hole, so isn't a sitting duck for shooting, if his charge fails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

goodness posted:

Paint so thick the eye lens area is flat. What do you use for stripping paint?

Simple green is easy to use and won't melt models

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009
Can anyone recommend any decent hobby podcasts? Doesn't have to be 40k specific, though lore discussion is cool, and a sense of humour is very much appreciated.

I already listen to the Badcast, and I'm aware there's official GW ones but I'm a bit wary of those on account of them being official GW ones.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

There is always Independent Characters.
http://theindependentcharacters.com/blog/

Beyond that one and the Badcast I don't keep track of any others.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Owlkill posted:

Can anyone recommend any decent hobby podcasts? Doesn't have to be 40k specific, though lore discussion is cool, and a sense of humour is very much appreciated.

I already listen to the Badcast, and I'm aware there's official GW ones but I'm a bit wary of those on account of them being official GW ones.

The voxcast is actually pretty good.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Booley posted:

The voxcast is actually pretty good.
Especially the episodes with Jes Goodwin in them.

I would listen to that man talk 24/7 if I could. His voice is :allears:

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Simple green is easy to use and won't melt models

I've used the same-chemical off brand and it works great for plastic and pewter, but has anyone had experience here with using it on resin?

Have a scythed hierodule from my teens that would love to take a bath...

Diabeesting
Apr 29, 2006

turn right to escape

goodness posted:

Paint so thick the eye lens area is flat. What do you use for stripping paint?

I've always been told Simplegreen and water, which I've got him soaking in now unless someone here tells me that it's bad for the new plastics?

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

BaronVanAwesome posted:

I've used the same-chemical off brand and it works great for plastic and pewter, but has anyone had experience here with using it on resin?

Have a scythed hierodule from my teens that would love to take a bath...

I have used diluted simple green for stripping resin without issue, but I have definitely heard horror stories of people who've had a bad experience. Most of those involve soaking for long periods though.

I think part of the problem is that resin varies much more between manufacturers than plastics do, so its harder to draw blanket conclusions.

How I do it now is to scrub it with dilute simple green and a toothbrush rather than soaking it for a long period of time, but if you're dealing with caked paint that might not be good enough. This might be worth testing on a small part of the model before going hog wild.

e: Should note my experience is pretty much only with finecast resin and mantic's resin: no fw stuff as I think that is different than the finecast material.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Giant Isopod posted:

I have used diluted simple green for stripping resin without issue, but I have definitely heard horror stories of people who've had a bad experience. Most of those involve soaking for long periods though.

I think part of the problem is that resin varies much more between manufacturers than plastics do, so its harder to draw blanket conclusions.

How I do it now is to scrub it with dilute simple green and a toothbrush rather than soaking it for a long period of time, but if you're dealing with caked paint that might not be good enough. This might be worth testing on a small part of the model before going hog wild.

e: Should note my experience is pretty much only with finecast resin and mantic's resin: no fw stuff as I think that is different than the finecast material.

This is super useful, I appreciate it. It's an old old FW hierodule, and while I wasn't a great painter back then it isn't too cakey or thick. I'll probably try SG and a dish brush and start with the feet or something.

I have an ancient FW bloodthirster that I never got to as well...

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Stephenls posted:

Showing Instagram posts in forum is a goddamn nightmare of page source search, so I’ll just post this link.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3VWNyeHJeK/?igshid=1gejpk2v9kvne

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING
Simple Green tastes better than off brands after you’re done stripping paint.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Ghazk posted:

Simple Green tastes better than off brands after you’re done stripping paint.

Is it as minty as it smells?

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING
It’s hard to describe the taste of dying brain cells, but it is EXQUISITE

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Ghazk posted:

It’s hard to describe the taste of dying brain cells, but it is EXQUISITE

The tequila and gin are the main tasting notes.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Well that’s certainly a TiWP% discrepancy.

https://www.40kstats.com/1st-round-loss

Shout out to renegade knights doing their thang.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Well that’s certainly a TiWP% discrepancy.

https://www.40kstats.com/1st-round-loss

Shout out to renegade knights doing their thang.

Problem I always find with these things is that it's never proportional.

If you assumed everyone's armies were balanced (lol) and everyone was equally good players, the faction with the most use would see higher numbers of wins.

While the SM meta is obviously very strong, even when I used to play about 5 years ago and Imperial Guard mechanised lists were seen as "top tier" I'm fairly sure SM still made up an absolutely massive portion of tournament entries.

Really what you want to see is do Space Marines win a proportion of tournaments equal to the proportion of people who play space marines. If the answer is "yes" then it's quite difficult to argue they are unbalanced due to the stats alone.

The counter argument will be the space marine entries are so high because they are powerful, but in which case then I'd suggest if we look at historical data I'd be surprised if the percentage of people playing using space marines in tournaments has changed massively over the last 5 years. If it has massively increased then the data supports it all, if 50% the entries in 2014 were space marines and 50% the entries in 2019 are space marines, but in 2014 space marines won 25% of tournaments and now they win 45% of tournaments it actually suggests they've got to "where they should be".

This analysis becomes harder for other armies because I'm positive other armies that aren't the poster boys have their number of entrants fluctuate a lot more.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Kitchner posted:

If you assumed everyone's armies were balanced (lol) and everyone was equally good players, the faction with the most use would see higher numbers of wins.

While the SM meta is obviously very strong, even when I used to play about 5 years ago and Imperial Guard mechanised lists were seen as "top tier" I'm fairly sure SM still made up an absolutely massive portion of tournament entries.

Really what you want to see is do Space Marines win a proportion of tournaments equal to the proportion of people who play space marines. If the answer is "yes" then it's quite difficult to argue they are unbalanced due to the stats alone.

The counter argument will be the space marine entries are so high because they are powerful, but in which case then I'd suggest if we look at historical data I'd be surprised if the percentage of people playing using space marines in tournaments has changed massively over the last 5 years. If it has massively increased then the data supports it all, if 50% the entries in 2014 were space marines and 50% the entries in 2019 are space marines, but in 2014 space marines won 25% of tournaments and now they win 45% of tournaments it actually suggests they've got to "where they should be".

This analysis becomes harder for other armies because I'm positive other armies that aren't the poster boys have their number of entrants fluctuate a lot more.

I checked the stats for the year up until August, and Codex: Space Marines was around 5% of all players, with a win rate of 2%. Total number of army lists submitted was 258 (~32 per month), more than most other factions bar Knights and couple of others.

In the data from October / November those figures are 22.4% and 47% across 420 lists submitted (~210 per month).

I'm no statistics expert but something clearly smells funny here.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I don't know if this counts as :files: since they are no longer in print, but is there a source that has all the old codexes from early editions of the game? I'd like to read the old fluff

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Professor Shark posted:

I don't know if this counts as :files: since they are no longer in print, but is there a source that has all the old codexes from early editions of the game? I'd like to read the old fluff

PM sent

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Kitchner posted:

Yeah I'm sure none of the people doing this analysis have thought about any of that.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Don't forget that, in a meta saturated with one faction, individual game win rates can actually be an underestimate of that faction's relative strength. If 100% of players play space marines, space marines have 50% win rate by definition. If 80% of players play space marines and win 100% of their games against every other faction, you see a 60% win rate for space marines even though they never lose a game against non-space marines.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Kitchner posted:

In addition to xtothez's point, it would have been very interesting to see the breakdown of subfactions within "Space Marines". A pile of them are likely Iron Hands, and those were most definitely not a massive portion of tournament entries prior to this year.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Maneck posted:

In addition to xtothez's point, it would have been very interesting to see the breakdown of subfactions within "Space Marines". A pile of them are likely Iron Hands, and those were most definitely not a massive portion of tournament entries prior to this year.

Yeah, agreed.

I think that being able to crunch stats to figure out who is too powerful is very interesting, and if space marines jumped from 5% to 45% in the space of 12 months I'd definitely say something is amiss. These days I guess prevalence of soup lists makes it even harder to track accurately.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Kitchner posted:

Yeah, agreed.

I think that being able to crunch stats to figure out who is too powerful is very interesting, and if space marines jumped from 5% to 45% in the space of 12 months I'd definitely say something is amiss. These days I guess prevalence of soup lists makes it even harder to track accurately.

We're literally doing this. https://www.goonhammer.com/meta-update-october-results-and-the-socal-open/

A November one will happen in a couple of weeks, after the Renegade Open.

e: shoutout to Boon, Beer and Chirurgeon who are doing all the work on these.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

Kitchner posted:

Yeah, agreed.

I’m a newer player and not using space marines, but with the new books and the batreps I’ve been watching it surprises me that they are still preferring soup lists as I thought the new stuff disincentivised that.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Corrode posted:

We're literally doing this. https://www.goonhammer.com/meta-update-october-results-and-the-socal-open/

A November one will happen in a couple of weeks, after the Renegade Open.

e: shoutout to Boon, Beer and Chirurgeon who are doing all the work on these.

Sleep is for the weak.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I’m still extremely mad at the use of the word ‘soup’ to describe an army composed of disjointed elements

Many of the best soups are made from just a couple of ingredients :colbert:

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

ineptmule posted:

I’m still extremely mad at the use of the word ‘soup’ to describe an army composed of disjointed elements

Salad?

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Melange. Let's go full Dune on this poo poo.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It's plate lunch.

What are people doing to model the new heavy bolter on old Exorcists and Immolators?

I was thinking of modeling a HB Sister standing on the roof but that seems awkward.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Anime_Otaku posted:

I’m a newer player and not using space marines, but with the new books and the batreps I’ve been watching it surprises me that they are still preferring soup lists as I thought the new stuff disincentivised that.

Well, remember, only Marines and as of this week Sisters have those disincentives yet. If you're playing Guard there's still no reason not to bring along some Knights, and if you're playing Knights you're pretty likely to want the Loyal Thirty Two for CP reasons. And Marines are only really discouraged if you care about the Combat and Chapter Doctrines. Which you do if you're playing Iron Hands. Ultramarines, or Imperial Fists (against anyone but Tyranids) but might not if you're playing Salamanders and only want the Master Artificer re-rolls and Stealthy cover bonus. Also the non-Codex compliant chapters like Space Wolves and anyone with "Angels" in their name don't even have Doctrine rules to worry about. In particular a Blood Angel Smash Captain is still a rock solid choice to soup in with other Imperium forces and until the BA get some kind of re-work, you give up nothing to do so.

So yeah, soup's going to be a thing for months or years yet, until every codex gets updated, and might still be worth it in some cases regardless.

ineptmule posted:

I'd say "Stew", but it's really way too late to change it now. You needed to get on that train more than a year ago. :colbert:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

ineptmule posted:

An Imperial Charcuterie

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Improbable Lobster posted:

An Imperial Charcuterie

6 different kinds of gruel, with a commissar holding his bolt pistol to your head daring you not to enjoy it.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

ineptmule posted:

If you consider each detachment an ingredient the same applies :colbert:

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

moths posted:

It's plate lunch.

What are people doing to model the new heavy bolter on old Exorcists and Immolators?

I was thinking of modeling a HB Sister standing on the roof but that seems awkward.

I probably won't, because it'll be obvious that it's an Immolator.

If I get the ambition I might make a sister popping out of a hatch with one or riding on the tank.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Since weapon positioning doesn't matter anymore and you can just Tokyo drift your tank down the map firing all the guns out of the engine area, I don't think it really matters what's modelled on the tank as long as it's clear what the tank is. I have two immolators and neither are getting a heavy bolter stuck on the front.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
I predict we will see some form of grav chute assault or jump pack primaris in the upcoming blood angels supplement.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

I predict we will see some form of grav chute assault or jump pack primaris in the upcoming blood angels supplement.

Release leak has been accurate so far; we're only getting the book and Mephiston's new model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.

Floppychop posted:

I probably won't, because it'll be obvious that it's an Immolator.

If I get the ambition I might make a sister popping out of a hatch with one or riding on the tank.

Yeah I'm not seeing it as strictly necessary, but if I can think of a good way to make a pulpit I might stick a pulpit on the lower front of this exorcist with a heavy bolter+gunner in it.