Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Prince of Tennis can make a character not being left handed a huge end of episode reveal that reshapes the entire exhibition of skill going on and makes the next serve hype as hell and pokemon somehow has made giant kaiju Tournament arc feel incredibly boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I think the tournament spectacle was still at least 5 times as interesting as literally any Pokemon plot involving legendaries has ever been.

I seriously do not care about your stupid looking dog, and I never will.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Clarste posted:

I think the tournament spectacle was still at least 5 times as interesting as literally any Pokemon plot involving legendaries has ever been.

I seriously do not care about your stupid looking dog, and I never will.

I mean it was better than any of the legendaries doing Big Satan Plots (S/M gets around that by having the legendary just be poisoning Sad Mom so the real monster is man) but it's still just an boring affair.

It's a tournament arc, the whole deal is you get to see the characters' development and strengths and ideals clash one after another as some capstone to their arcs but like...no one has anything going on so it's just you dunking on some losers over and over.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Yeah, I wish they'd just commit to telling an actual tournament arc story instead of having a bland tournament papered over some legend nonsense that they don't even do anything interesting with. I want to see an actual sport story Pokemon game.

That said I do think the music and spectacle of the gym battles was consistently pretty hype in this game.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I love how smoothly it transitions from the entrance into the stadium to the start of the battle itself. And the unique animations the different leaders have for Dynamaxing, with the little personal touches; Habu getting that little flash of fire in his eyes, for example.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Everyone here has to agree these are the best gyms the series has had yet.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
The atmosphere is definitely a lot better. Even if it's still likely for some people to utterly steamroll them.

Though gameplay wise, they basically fizzle out as the game goes along.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I enjoyed the gym challenge itself. I don't like how the championship is just them again though. I already beat them what exactly am I proving here by beating them again.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

:kimchi:
fun fact that I learned when fighting gothorita: competitive raises SpA by 2 stages every time a stat drops. The shield breaking counts as two stat drops. Combine that with one of the idiot NPCs using a move that does gently caress all damage but lowers a stat in the process, it went to +6 SpA in a single turn!

Kirios posted:

Everyone here has to agree these are the best gyms the series has had yet.
the gyms are, as a whole, real friggin' good. especially the fantastic gym leader theme

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Are Raid pokemons sure catch once they're defeated? Wanna know if I should waste my hyper balls on them or what.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Kurtofan posted:

Are Raid pokemons sure catch once they're defeated? Wanna know if I should waste my hyper balls on them or what.
they are not, but I've also heard that the pokeball used doesn't matter

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Blaziken386 posted:

they are not, but I've also heard that the pokeball used doesn't matter

so do they just leave if it misses or what

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

so do they just leave if it misses or what

They can break out. And yea you only get one shot per raid, sucks but that's rng.

If it's your own raid and you saved before there's nothing stopping you from retrying it though!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Since they blew the soccer gimmick on the UK region what are they going to do for the other billion countries where it's the sport of choice?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Blockhouse posted:

Since they blew the soccer gimmick on the UK region what are they going to do for the other billion countries where it's the sport of choice?

Probably only reference it in one trainer group. Japan and usa love baseball, but gens 1-5 dont feature it heavily.

Or just focus on other sports. PokeAustralia's rugby, PokeMexico's lucha libre, PokeCanada's hokey, etc

Skyelan
Sep 17, 2007

i definitely have beef with the ShSw plot, but i'm not feeling too let down, just because i went in with low expectations (and this is certainly not a defense).

even tho i was looking forward to the game more than many folks going into launch, like. see, sun/moon's plot knocked it out of the park for me on a level the other games couldn't touch. i loved just about every character, and the main plot uh. hit close to home in a powerful way. so i reigned myself in going 'yea even if they DID try to go more plot heavy again, there's no way they're touching that sort of thing again right away, best to just not expect much plot wise'.

and, well. i was a little more right than i'd like? i guess??? marnie was fuckin robbed.

i'm playing a lot more of the actual game and looking forward to multiplayer, though, in a way i haven't since gsc. which was... oh dear god 20 fuckin years ago.

Avalerion posted:

I enjoyed the gym challenge itself. I don't like how the championship is just them again though. I already beat them what exactly am I proving here by beating them again.

see i sort of dug that, myself. like if everything is Big Competitive Sports Time, then being a gym leader means you're already proven as someone great. so you get a secured spot at each championship, where you actually use a (closer to) real team and try to scramble to the top of the pile and beat the champion yourself.

...that or i'm just projecting and filling in blanks the game flubbed. v:v:v

(rad remix tune at least tho)

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

What part of this is gen's gimmick specifically soccer instead of just professional sports in general?

Skyelan posted:

see i sort of dug that, myself. like if everything is Big Competitive Sports Time, then being a gym leader means you're already proven as someone great. so you get a secured spot at each championship, where you actually use a (closer to) real team and try to scramble to the top of the pile and beat the champion yourself.

If only anyone beside the PC and Leon figured out the top secret winning strat of "bring 6 pokemon".

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Nov 22, 2019

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

they're gonna do a game set in poké-brazil where they still have the sports theme but instead of soccer it's just organized sports in general, and instead of a plot featuring an energy crisis the game'll be about how building these giant stadiums for the visiting galarian and unovian trainers to compete in for a single tournament has essentially crippled the country's economy

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

PokeMexico's lucha libre

PokeJapan's strong style, PokeUK's catch as catch can, PokeWWE's cuckolding storyline angles, PokeIndies' killing the business spot fest,

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Skyelan posted:

...that or i'm just projecting and filling in blanks the game flubbed. v:v:v

(rad remix tune at least tho)

The game said exactly that. That the Gym Leaders weren't using their main teams in the original fights, those were only meant as a test for challengers.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

My opponent threw so incredibly hard: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1014467374

Also I need to go back to the drawing board because this AV Hatterene doesn't really do anything and this team was built around running setup Toxtricity which turns out to not feel all that good. I have nothing that can really answer a Scarf Darmanitan right now either, though all things considered there's not too much that actually does answer Darm.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

You haven't seen nothin yet buddy

Wow. You could just tell they basically just gave up on the presentation by gym 8. I basically felt the time crunch rear its ugly head there. Gameplay wise it was a lot more engaging than gym 7 though. And I appreciated that it was more than just the dragon gym.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

I enjoy the battle tower in most Pokémon games but I hate the busywork of breeding for natures/abilities/IVs etc

It turns out the rentals you get by talking to green shirt guy are more than good enough to go all the way and easily farm BP, I've been using skill team with Gyarados Falinks and Grimmsnarl and the only thing I have trouble with is a strong fairy type that encores setup (Togekiss)

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

Why does Pokémon suddenly require a sports gimmick in every game?

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

I said it once and I'll say it again. PokeMexico with Lucha Gyms.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Genovera posted:

Yes, Drizzile and Chewtle are compatible. You can check in-game if two pokemon will produce eggs or not by talking to the daycare person. If the person says something like "they prefer to play with other pokemon", then they will not breed. If it's something like "they don't get along very well", you'll still get eggs, they'll just appear slowly. The baby's species is determined by the mother.

Eggs have a chance to spawn every 256 steps you take, so just ride your bike in circles for a bit. The daycare person has an egg for you if they put their hand up by their head. Once you get the egg you can work towards getting another. There's no limit to how many eggs a pair can produce, but you always have to get the egg from the person before the next can spawn.

If you want more mechanical detail so you can look up partners on bulbapedia in the future, breeding compatibility is based on egg groups. The pair have to share an egg group to be able to breed. Drizzile is water 1 and field, and Chewtle is monster and water 1. So, they are compatible since they share water 1.

Thank you so much for this. Took me like an hour to figure it out online, then I panicked when I saw they don’t get alongside well. Thanks again!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

This league card thing is fun times but I wish I could have my buddies in the picture too.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
https://twitter.com/pianta_/status/1197581249180831746

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Beasteh posted:

I enjoy the battle tower in most Pokémon games but I hate the busywork of breeding for natures/abilities/IVs etc

It turns out the rentals you get by talking to green shirt guy are more than good enough to go all the way and easily farm BP, I've been using skill team with Gyarados Falinks and Grimmsnarl and the only thing I have trouble with is a strong fairy type that encores setup (Togekiss)

Worth pointing out you can Dynamax yourself out of a choice item/Encore/similar move-locking effect.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

The post-game characters' hair is so god drat stupid. I kind of love it.

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013
After beating the game, and being into the competitive scene, I feel like one of the driving forces for designing SwSh is that they wanted to bridge the gap between casual players and competitive pvp. A lot like how LGPE helped bridged the gap between casual Go players and mainline games. This is further supported by the fact that the Battle Tower is pretty blatantly described as a training ground for PVP, and even uses a similar ranking style. Also the fact that actual PVP matches give you BP and items for use in game now. Add onto that the ease that you can get already strong mons through raids and the extra incentives to fight a bunch of the same mons for EVs, and even the most casual players can make a decent team with some effort. And they even let you rent solid teams that you can use in Battle Tower or PVP!

So while I agree that a lot of the game needed some extra polish, they definitely wanted to focus on PVP this time around. I kind of enjoyed the light and low key story though, it was a breath of fresh air.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

What story?

My biggest gripe was the last 3 gyms

you go from doing an actual gym challenge/puzzle with obstacles and scenery to 'have an audition on a stage where you get asked a bunch of deceiving questions', 'run to the right a few times' (i get that it was a homage to streets of rage but still dumb and bad) and 'beat 3 doubles trainers in a single room without having to move around at all'

They must have been crunching super hard

Beasteh fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Nov 22, 2019

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The core of the story is basically about the relationship between kids and their adult role models. This is seen by the separate arcs Hop, Marnie and Bede take over the course of their career, and especially how each of them interact with their mentor/role model figures. E.g. how Hop stops being so fixated on becoming the new Leon but instead decides to follow Sonia instead, how Bede gets away from his toxic relationship with the Chairman, and the whole dynamic of Marnie and Piers/Team Yell.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Just found out Perrserker's Japanese name is Nyaiking

I appreciate it's an equally dumb pun in both languages

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

Just found out Perrserker's Japanese name is Nyaiking

I appreciate it's an equally dumb pun in both languages

I am in love with the lovely, lovely pun that is Polteageist's Japanese name. Pottodesu. Desu is the Japanese way of pronouncing the English word "death", so "Pot death". But "Potto desu" is also Japanese for "It is a teapot".

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Meowrauder

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Stabbytabby

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Remember that optional dungeon in RSE where you had to translate tablets from braille to get in? That was wild.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Bleck posted:

on the difficulty; I basically swept through the entire game, felt pretty confident about my team's level and power in every encounter, and then Leon walked up and showed me why he's called The Unbeatable Champion

There's no way lol

I'm not doubting, I'm legit excited for this. I can't comprehend of a difficult AI fight in Pokemon that doesn't have RNG tipped in its favor like Battle Tower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Riatsala posted:

Remember that optional dungeon in RSE where you had to translate tablets from braille to get in? That was wild.
first comes relicanth
last comes wailord

I had that memorized and then in ORAS they didn't change it (they flipped the positions of the two in Emerald) so I felt like a super genius.