Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

The Pirate Captain posted:

"At least" is right. For my last deposition, I prepped with two attorneys for ~20 hours, so 60 billed to the client in total. The depo itself took 3.

Vic's Depo was 8 hours I think and JSL clearly spent a ton of time researching Vic.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Nov 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

The Pirate Captain posted:

"At least" is right. For my last deposition, I prepped with two attorneys for ~20 hours, so 60 billed to the client in total. The depo itself took 3.

Well maybe you're overcharging clients, unlike yours truly. :smug:

But seriously yeah, emphasis on the "at least." Lawsuits are goddamn expensive which is why you need SLAPP laws and the like to punish assholes like Vic who try poo poo like this.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

lmao

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

I am stealing this bit for any future comedy scripts. That's some Chico Marx poo poo right there.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

wait which one's JSL

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

In a sea of funny poo poo today this is so far the best.

Patware posted:

wait which one's JSL

Sean Lemoine. Monica's Lawyer.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

why the switch from calling him Lemoine to JSL? anyway i like that this step in the overall narrative is just "chupp has fuckin had it in general"

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Patware posted:

wait which one's JSL

JSL is J. Sean Lemoine they are the attorney representing Rial and Toye

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Nov 21, 2019

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Monaghan posted:

The general rule is that you should expect that the prep time for a proceeding is at least twice as the actual time spent in the proceeding- such as a deposition/trial whatever. This poo poo's not like TV were people just show up to trial and do it off the cuff or whatever.

Pretty dumb comment

I can't find the tweet offhand, but apparently Lemoine stated that getting to depose the plaintiff in a TCPA hearing was unusual and was the kill shot in this case, hence why he prepared so much.

Assorted other people on lawtwitter either agreed or referenced back to how Vic's own testimony sunk his case in assorted claims, which has been known/talked about for months now.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

PST posted:

I can't find the tweet offhand, but apparently Lemoine stated that getting to depose the plaintiff in a TCPA hearing was unusual and was the kill shot in this case, hence why he prepared so much.

Assorted other people on lawtwitter either agreed or referenced back to how Vic's own testimony sunk his case in assorted claims, which has been known/talked about for months now.

https://twitter.com/ottovonbisbark/status/1197574765621452800?s=20

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Patware posted:

why the switch from calling him Lemoine to JSL?

Less characters to put on a tweet

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Galaxy Brain play: "We've already planned to file 17 new suits in addition to our appeals. Clearly we're not afraid to burn Vic's money, ergo these sanctions will not deter us, and therefore, they are unnecessary."

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
"I'm going to immediately start committing more crimes the moment I get out of jail, so it makes no sense to send me to jail, because we use the threat of going to jail as a deterrence against people committing crimes."

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

This seems smart
https://twitter.com/ottovonbisbark/status/1197633317887234052?s=20
https://twitter.com/ottovonbisbark/status/1197634039563329537?s=20

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

the new guy didn't get passed all of the notes apparently:
https://twitter.com/bentwhee/status/1197635939687903233

https://twitter.com/ottovonbisbark/status/1197636750941868038

Wiggly Wayne DDS fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Nov 21, 2019

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Farms were giddy over the notion that Vic would finally speak before Chupp because he was, quote, 'calm, sweet-voiced and confident' in manner which to use legal terms definitely cites facts not in evidence. They also don't really get the point of this trial is about sanctions and it is not something for the judge to suddenly decide that Monica and everybody is suddenly guilty.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
I like how people have been saying for months Vig had no idea what was going on and oh look he really really did not

Crush him

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Vic has this in the bag!!

https://twitter.com/LawoftheGame/st...662196249092097

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Yond Cassius posted:

Wait, when did Guy Fieri get involved?
Hey, come on, Fieri doesn't deserve that. :colbert:

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Dawgstar posted:

The Farms were giddy over the notion that Vic would finally speak before Chupp because he was, quote, 'calm, sweet-voiced and confident' in manner which to use legal terms definitely cites facts not in evidence. They also don't really get the point of this trial is about sanctions and it is not something for the judge to suddenly decide that Monica and everybody is suddenly guilty.

Reality is not their strong point.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

End of the bromance.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

mallratcal posted:

Halftime of the bromance.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Wark Say posted:

Hey, come on, Fieri doesn't deserve that. :colbert:

He’s pretty creepy too in his own right

So...yes he does

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

guy fieri goes to disaster sites and just starts cooking for people

i havent heard a single actual bad thing about him aside from looking like a witch kissed a stack of 00s car magazines

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
That's because Guy Fieri is, by all accounts, just a really nice and cool guy.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Patware posted:

guy fieri goes to disaster sites and just starts cooking for people

i havent heard a single actual bad thing about him aside from looking like a witch kissed a stack of 00s car magazines

There is this where his ex-producer said he was a homophobe and general perv should however be taken with the huge caveat that they were in a nasty legal dispute at the time.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Nov 22, 2019

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Alan Smithee posted:

He’s pretty creepy too in his own right

So...yes he does
I had heard that he was a homophobe back in the day, but that he turned that poo poo around.

Hub Cat posted:

There is this where his ex-producer said he was a homophobe and general perv should however be taken with the huge caveat that they were in a nasty legal dispute at the time.
Yeah, I think it was from this here or a similar group of articles that I first read about it.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Hub Cat posted:

There is this where his ex-producer said he was a homophobe and general perv should however be taken with the huge caveat that they we're in a nasty legal dispute at the time.

HuffPo is a leech; read the original at CityPages.

But yeah, I was taking a quick potshot at his fashion sense, not anything I'd heard he did. That one article seems to be the root of everything bad said about him, and the homophobia allegation seems weird given his closeness to his late gay sister (who died before that article was published) and that he did a mass wedding for gay couples in 2015.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

guy fieri 1 r. broly 0

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Can you assign negative points? Vig is a well known homophobe.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

guy fieri 1 r. broly NaN

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Monaghan posted:

The general rule is that you should expect that the prep time for a proceeding is at least twice as the actual time spent in the proceeding- such as a deposition/trial whatever. This poo poo's not like TV were people just show up to trial and do it off the cuff or whatever.

Pretty dumb comment

wait isnt that how phoenix wright does it?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK6zuii2OLI

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Phobophilia posted:

Those investigation segments feel twice as long as trials. I wouldve charged the circus three times as much, even.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Ask beard for his attorney's badge, coward judge!

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Phobophilia posted:

The Japanese legal system is really hosed up though and they literally have a few days to prove their client didn't do it, as opposed to months for the prosecution to prove they did.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Tashilicious posted:

The Japanese legal system is really hosed up though and they literally have a few days to prove their client didn't do it, as opposed to months for the prosecution to prove they did.

Don’t the Japanese take their sweetass time building their cases

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alan Smithee posted:

It is my understanding that while the Phoenix Wright games were essentially a future judicial hellworld for the rest of the world, the original japanese is essentially "no this is how trials work"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

The prosecutor gets to do whatever they want. The defense gets to do jack poo poo. There's a reason that any time Phoenix investigates a crime scene, the police are growling at him and poo poo. There's also a reason Phoenix gets blindsided by evidence not entered into record like fifteen times a case, has to go out of his way to prove basic details, and can never actually threaten a witness with obvious perjury charges.

Basically, defense attorneys in Japan are playing on Super Hard Mode, and the entire system is rigged against them.