Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Gib moar monies plz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

Raskolnikov posted:

Also the new friend sounds really depressed poor thing

Yeah he doesn't sound like he's in a good place.

I wish you luck in your journey, new friend and hope that you find happiness

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Ambaire posted:

To try to escape the shackles of this mortal life and become something .. other.

Will it have tickling?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

What Chris really needs to top this week:

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

SelenicMartian posted:

Honestly, I'm a teensy bit concerned that Citcon this year will be super slick and professional. Thanks to the 48 million Calder dollar investment hanging over the project's head like a big green papery sword of Damocles, I suspect CIG has pulled out all the stops to get poo poo done right - the livestream won't crash repeatedly, the demo will run flawlessly, Sandi will cry on cue and realistically, Tony Z will be grounded and explain the difficulties of programming lifelike AI, Chris won't be sweaty and fluff his lines every 20 seconds while saying "Eeee-eee-eeh", my man Glen will be wearing a suit, Disco will actually appear likeable, and the crowd will be a rainbow representation of all colours, creeds and genders.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Jonny Shiloh posted:

Honestly, I'm a teensy bit concerned that Citcon this year will be super slick and professional. Thanks to the 48 million Calder dollar investment hanging over the project's head like a big green papery sword of Damocles, I suspect CIG has pulled out all the stops to get poo poo done right - the livestream won't crash repeatedly, the demo will run flawlessly, Sandi will cry on cue and realistically, Tony Z will be grounded and explain the difficulties of programming lifelike AI, Chris won't be sweaty and fluff his lines every 20 seconds while saying "Eeee-eee-eeh", my man Glen will be wearing a suit, Disco will actually appear likeable, and the crowd will be a rainbow representation of all colours, creeds and genders.
I imagine this is event organizer's dreams.txt

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
In the lycra clad cycling community, we call people that spend way too much money on very expensive over specced carbon fibre time trial bikes that they never use.. dentists.

echothreealpha
Nov 22, 2019
Been lurking this thread for a few months?

thought I might as well register since it has bought me some entertainment for quite some time.

Looking forward to the Citizencon discussion tomorrow.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

welcome friend.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Jonny Shiloh posted:

Haha, no. I can already see the puzzled expressions in those dentists faces when they get a jpg sales pitch on their stage.

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Nov 22, 2019

echothreealpha
Nov 22, 2019
I think tomorrow will be interesting, and I think CIG will go all out.

It is just me or does it seem that CIG is desperate for coverage? They seem to have reached out more in the past 2 months. From having an 890 article out on Newsweek, of all places, and two days ago where there was that weird tweet with joker in a hashtag. Is it because they found out that their whales are spending less and now looking for new blood, even outside of the gaming target market?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Jonny Shiloh posted:

I highlighted the parts that made me laugh out loud at how ridiculous they sounded.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Will there be a discord?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Tippis posted:

No. They want to over-engineer a solution to a problem that shouldn't be there to begin with and wouldn't be there had they not tried to over-do it from the get-go.

Lolno. What they're trying to do is patch up an unintended side-effect of a different bad solution. Rather than do it the right way (make the camera controllable and adjustable to fit the gameplay requirements) they decided to hook it up to the animation of the character model because that's “real”. Then they realised that this made everything look awful and broke all kinds of things they wanted to do, and rather than doing it the right way, they decided to hook it up to a second system that would counteract the movement of the character model because that's “real”.

Of course, if they wanted it to be real rather than “real”, they could have done it the right way, since that's actually what the brain ends up seeing. It's done that way for a number of reasons, none of which have been considered or implemented in SC. Doing it the right way also makes it compatible with VR — not knowing what they're doing, CIG accidentally did it in a way that stupidly (but very obviously) made it incompatible with one of their other supposed features. They were so proud of the fact that they had synced up first- and third-person character animations that they forgot and/or ignored the many many many reasons why games don't do that, and also were too proud to go back and implement a proper solution afterwards.

Implementing a needlessly complex system to cancel out the horrible wrongness caused by a previously needlessly complex implementation, all to end up with something that tried to resemble a vastly simpler system, is kind of a CIG signum. They did the same with their flight and vehicle modelling. Just doing it the clever and simple (and right) way to yield the exact same effect with fewer bugs is quite beyond their capability.

Let this sate your curiosity: most people here have watched this silliness grow from the first failed camera implementation and followed it through every step since then, including CIG's and the citizens' increasingly desperate attempts at justifying not doing it the right way. :D

It's still awful, but in new and interesting ways. It makes the UI shake around in ways that UIs should never move, and also implies that all inhabitants of the SC universe are too incompetent to know how to put on a hat.

CIG's handling of the camera is a bit like if they had tried to bake a cake, but...
- added a mildly pleasant tasting poison to it, then
- added an antidote to neutralize the poison but the antidote tastes terrible.
- Now, they are trying to work around the awful taste instead of making a cake without the poison and antidote in the first place

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

SelenicMartian posted:

Heh, was just going to say that Robert's has to step up his idiocy after the TSLA presentation last night.

What a time to be alive.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Bofast posted:

CIG's handling of the camera is a bit like if they had tried to bake a cake, but...
- added a mildly pleasant tasting poison to it, then
- added an antidote to neutralize the poison but the antidote tastes terrible.
- Now, they are trying to work around the awful taste instead of making a cake without the poison and antidote in the first place

I like this simile and will steal it.

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Ambaire posted:

The space game I dream of incorporates all the best parts of Factorio, Satisfactory, Elite Dangerous, No Man's Sky, and Kerbal Space Program. I'm not entirely sure how it would all mesh together but it would be awesome. Sadly, it will most likely forever languish in my most feverish dreams.

From your posts it seems their is a running adventure and "the unknown" theme to what you want in games.

None of them have it. No Man's Sky is cool and good but ultimately hollow.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3897460

Fellow goon and totured-by-chucklefuck Rho'n'company is making a game that is supposed to be starbound but not poo poo. Yes it is 2D, but that allows for easier content generation and usually leads to more depth as things tend to be easier to implement than 3D realism (whatever the gently caress that means).

Ultimately that frontier exploration isn't something games can do. It requires a plethora of new interconnected things, but different from what you've ever seen before (and relevant and meaningful). That just can't be done.

Ambaire posted:

Also my replies in this thread are due to my general tiredness of life on this planet and constant dreaming of something more .. sci-fi.

I was in graduate school for physics in ultra-fast lasers (and associated material stuff). It didn't work out. I ended up homeless, without ID, without food, and miserable. I found trying to confront and deal with life issues instead of escaping from them tends to be the better and more effective option. Yes that may be effectively impossible for you but still try. Games can't meet or solve needs like dreams. Making them maybe, but not playing them.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

loving hell I forgot about the "in-game ship plushie", this is the most pointless thing.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

:v: Okay, Citizens, rise and shine, and don't forget your wallets 'cause it's cooooold out there today.

:classiclol: It's coooold out there every day. What is this, Pacific Palisades?

:v: Not hardly. And you know, you can expect hazardous ramps later today with that, you know, that, uh, that Blizzard thing.

:classiclol: That Blizzard - thing. That Blizzard - thing. Oh, well, here's the report! The Judge Dolly Gee Jury Service is calling for a "big Blizzard thing!"

:v: Yessss, they are. But you know, there's another reason why today is especially exciting.

:classiclol: Especially cold!

:v: Especially cold, okay, but the big question on everybody's lips...

:classiclol: On their janked lips...

:v: On their janked lips, right: Do ya think Chris is gonna come out and see a release date?

:classiclol: Handwavey Chris!

:v: That's right, jpeg-pledgers - it's...

:v::classiclol: CITIZENCON DAY!

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

I’m definitely not a pasty nerd who works on a computer in a windowless dungeon all day. I’m a manly man of wealth and sophistication, who men want to be and women want to be with; because I own an Idris.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man
In news that will surprise no one at all...

Make sure you packed them fedoras, space nerds!

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

CitizensConned 2019, sponsored by AMD (release the letter!), LG, Corsair, and.... Actina? :shrug:

Also :lol: at letting the Citizens in through the fire exit instead of the front door :v:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Wtf is Actina? lol, that wasn't what I was expecting.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Colostomy Bag posted:

Wtf is Actina? lol, that wasn't what I was expecting.

It seems to be a Polish computer manufacturer who make gaming rigs etc. https://www.actina.pl

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Maybe it's acting?

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:

Jonny Shiloh posted:

In news that will surprise no one at all...

Make sure you packed them fedoras, space nerds!

Originally the greater Manchester area was going to issue an Amber Alert is preparation of CitizenCon, but once they found out FuzzyModem was still in jail they downgraded it to Yellow.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Jonny Shiloh posted:

It seems to be a Polish computer manufacturer who make gaming rigs etc. https://www.actina.pl

Hey, they were the partner of the PGA, the gaming show in Poznan, which is basically the Polish E3. Apparently they try to corner the Razer market for LEDs on everything, with seethrough cases and rainbow LED fans in PCs.

So yeah, style over substance, a perfect fit for Star Citizen.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Kikas posted:

rainbow LED fans in PCs.
I never understood "gamer" obsession with everything being illuminated by rainbow LEDs. And I never will, thank god.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%
Doors.
The venue has doors.
How will they cope?

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Dogeh posted:

Doors.
The venue has doors.
How will they cope?

The A&E departments in Manchester are going to be busy tomorrow. Hope there aren't any ramps or lifts at the G-Mex or it could be a bloodbath.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Sandweed posted:

This is fake news, I already had Hellblade so I gave the copy I won to TheAgent.

I can't remember if it was the other way round. :cheers:

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

:laffo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YbU3Pt0Zp0

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

I have to admit that is quite a hilarious 3 1/2 minutes of video. So much crammed in there where does one begin?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Quavers posted:

CitizensConned 2019, sponsored by AMD (release the letter!), LG, Corsair, and.... Actina? :shrug:

Also :lol: at letting the Citizens in through the fire exit instead of the front door :v:
jesus christ lol it actually happened

TheAgent posted:

AMD looking to repartner with Cloud Imperium after gaming management change (lol)

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

CIG pissed off AMD severely in the past, but it's been so long that the people involved have probably moved onto other jobs by now so they're free to try again. :v:

^^^^^^ Oh that's actually it? Hahaha

Spatial fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Nov 22, 2019

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

They already did this three years ago! Right??

Oh my god this video looool

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

The interview is also funny:

:shepspends: I assume given it's a satellite, it'll have lots of sensing equipment in it, which ship would you most closely associate it with from Star Citizen? The Carrack perhaps as an explorer?

:downs: Given its smaller size and specific mission, I think I'd most closely associate it with the Terrapin! It's designed to hide out quietly in space, slipping "under the radar", and its main mission is to track other vehicles and relay that data back to command

Quavers fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Nov 22, 2019

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Quavers posted:

The interview is also funny:

:shepspends: I assume given it's a satellite, it'll have lots of sensing equipment in it, which ship would you most closely associate it with from Star Citizen? The Carrack perhaps as an explorer?

:downs: Given its smaller size and specific mission, I think I'd most closely associate it with the Terrapin! It's designed to hide out quietly in space, slipping "under the radar", and its main mission is to track other vehicles and relay that data back to command

I think it's a given that it punches above its weight.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Colostomy Bag posted:

I have to admit that is quite a hilarious 3 1/2 minutes of video. So much crammed in there where does one begin?

system_s_, and star_s_.

Quite the talk-up for a cubesat. I wonder what the contribution from RSi was? Also, the separation on those cameras is going to be less than that of a toddler.

http://www.cubesat.org/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Oh gently caress yeah, gimmie that right in the vein, Citizencon is the best time of year no doubt