Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
If you guys aren't sick of my questions already: how does Paths of Glory hold up? The Deluxe Edition looks absolutely beautiful and I really like the WWI setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I've heard only praise for it. Got to see a bit and it looked really good.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

Only played it twice (specifically the historical scenario they did the new map for in deluxe edition) and I bloody loved it.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Terminally Bored posted:

If you guys aren't sick of my questions already: how does Paths of Glory hold up? The Deluxe Edition looks absolutely beautiful and I really like the WWI setting.

PoG's supply rules are extremely punishing. Getting an army cut off basically dooms you. This rarely comes up in the West when both sides are stacking up loads of armies, but is a particualr issue on the Eastern front where neither side has the numbers to properly stack. It becomes this weird maneuver warfare game otu there, which isn't massivley historical. Otherwise it's an excellent game

I'm basically in the same camp as Tek with COIN: ADP, FS and CT are the best three. FITL and CL is good but has flaws. AA, LoD and Pendragon aren't worth bothering with.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
I know I'm a bit late, but I have to echo Tekopo's assessment of the COIN series. I'm also not a fan of FitL because to me it doesn't really feel like a Vietnam War game. I think the reason it's so highly rated is because, let's be honest, cultural mythos. Anyway, there are worse games out there and if you want a euro-y wargame it's okay. The best advice I can give you is that if you see Brian Train's name on a game buy it. Otherwise, I probably rate Falling Sky higher but that's because I think it's the best of the solitaire COIN games even if it has a few issues here and there.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
It should also be noted that with Paths of Glory you want to be using the historical scenario rules you can find online and possibly an updated map, otherwise you end up in very gamey situations where the CP throw all their stuff at Italy because of how lovely the Italian army is and how many VP are down there.

Also a lot of stuff in the early game is covered by exceptions to get the right historical feel which is inelegant to some

With all that said it's a great game though.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I’m gonna be that guy and say that I honestly prefer Pursuit of Glory to Paths of Glory because although a bit chromy compared to PoG it makes all of its various theatres of operation equally important.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

Tekopo posted:

I’m gonna be that guy and say that I honestly prefer Pursuit of Glory to Paths of Glory because although a bit chromy compared to PoG it makes all of its various theatres of operation equally important.
I am also a that guy for Pursuit. But it's a lot easier to learn Pursuit after understanding Paths.
(also in the p500 queue)

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I played a great game of PoG with Lord Frisk in a rare Goon V Goon face to face match. Took us about 8 hours to complete half the game. Just when we started to get a hold of things the middle east opened up and we both said :negative:. It was a lot of fun though, but I don't get to play it often as I live in the middle of the hinterlands.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Yooper posted:

I played a great game of PoG with Lord Frisk in a rare Goon V Goon face to face match. Took us about 8 hours to complete half the game. Just when we started to get a hold of things the middle east opened up and we both said :negative:. It was a lot of fun though, but I don't get to play it often as I live in the middle of the hinterlands.

I was thinking of that when I read about this. Wish we had more opportunities to play it again.

Here’s my hot take: FitL is so highly rated because it has the best Roger MacGowan cover ever made. So good that he used previous assets from other Vietnam games and made it look like Apocalypse Now. It’s so drat good.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

I love Paths of Glory and really want to try Pursuit, because you can easily play an entire game of Paths without doing anything at all in the Mideast Theater.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Thinking back, I still think that my favourite PoG-like is Crusade and Revolution, but that's because I have quite a lot of interest in the Spanish Civil War. The game plays unlike any other PoG-like game, because at the start you have no LCUs (PoG has two class of units, Large Combat Units and Small Combat Units, each of which rolls on a different combat table, making LCUs much more deadly than SCUs by themselves) at the start and only get them once you enter the C&R-equivalent of Limited War. Overall it is a fair bit more chromy than even PuG, since there are a lot of rules to simulate the lack of coordination in both sides of the conflict, but the extremely long front really makes for an exciting game, as well as making it difficult to perform encirclements without getting countered back. Overall I would recommend it, although it's a Compass game with all of the associated backage.

EDIT: Has anyone here tried Illusions of Glory?

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

tomdidiot posted:

PoG's supply rules are extremely punishing. Getting an army cut off basically dooms you. This rarely comes up in the West when both sides are stacking up loads of armies, but is a particualr issue on the Eastern front where neither side has the numbers to properly stack.

You'd be surprised. In my first game, because I'm stupid and bad at games, I managed to get myself completely encircled in France and everybody cut off from supply. The entire French army was killed off and I had no way of bringing them back. The US involvement was a way off at that point too.

Basically I was screwed because I stupidly attacked more than I should probably have done while defending the French border.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

ADP feels weird because its so current.
I got into this via Next War: India Pakistan and as part of that process I found out theres a not insignificant number of people who have qualms about playing a game about something that is actually happening. I never felt that myself with Next War though.

ADP on the other hand is very much still ticking along. They must be on their 472nd propaganda card by now. And I kinda do feel that with ADP. These places ring a bell because I know them from the news.

Which got me thinking that someone who isn't me should setup a billion ADP games on auto pilot but you take away the win conditions and just see what happens. Some of the cards reference dead people or old old ops but they probably still apply more or less on terms of impact. Itd be a fun curiousity to check in after 5 10 15 years

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I mean, Andean Abyss is in the same boat, what with FARC technically being active until 2016. But I get what you mean, I played ADP with a friend that had actually been in Afghanistan, so ADP does feel a bit weird to play due to its recency. I think when it was announced I was a bit sceptical because I thought it was gonna be the same sledgehammer approach that Labyrinth had in regards to modern Middle East conflicts, but it ended up being a lot more subtle in terms of the conflict than I had imagined (which honestly I attribute to the influence of Brian Train on the game). Fire in the Lake managed to be more contreversial than ADP when it first came out. The major thematic issue with ADP represents the conflict is how it shows the Warlords and Taliban (and even to some extent, the Government) as much more unified than they actually are, but I think this is largely unavoidable while maintaing a 4 player structure and still representing each side as having influence in the entirety of Afghanistan.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

Tekopo posted:

Fire in the Lake managed to be more contreversial than ADP when it first came out.

Was this the thing about the My Lai event, and how the playbook notes massively downplayed what actually happened?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I like FiTL but it definitely has balance issues, the US is way too powerful out of the box and I've found that playing the VC is very unforgiving

Nthing that ADP is the best and a fine start to the series, though the Government player really should not assist the Coalition player much at all or its way to easy to have a Coalition victory.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Yeah exactly. Its a weird juxtaposition that the game made to model counterinsurgency is also best fitted to the actual factual counterinsurgency thats been going for a good chunk of my life with all the attendant media saturation etc.

I only have this CL, and CT and I've never been tempted by the rest because the four factions seem forced. I guess I never realised how much of Afghanistan has bern internalised. Kinda sobering.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

In the future for COIN Iraq and COIN Syria both games are gonna include a literal trump card. Its funny cos its true. (its not funny at all)

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

omg till the day I die he is gonna be in wargames

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
The upcoming second expansion to Labyrinth does have a Trump tweets card, yes.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Krazyface posted:

The upcoming second expansion to Labyrinth does have a Trump tweets card, yes.

lol it begins

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

MikeCrotch posted:

I like FiTL but it definitely has balance issues, the US is way too powerful out of the box and I've found that playing the VC is very unforgiving

They changed this for the 2nd printing, mostly by making airstrikes less consistently amazing both in the actual actions and in any events that involve them.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

CaptainApathyUK posted:

Was this the thing about the My Lai event, and how the playbook notes massively downplayed what actually happened?
Yeah, it was the My Lai card, which in the playbook gave the figure for civilians killed that he was convicted for, not the actual number of civilians killed.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

So my wargame wishlist for the next year looks like this:
Paths of Glory
Empire of the Sun (probably won't ever learn or play the game in full but the newest edition has the mini scenario and an updated solo bot)
Navajo Wars (lots of praise itt)
D-Day at Tarawa (read that it's the least complex in the series)
Washingtons War or Wilderness War
Time of Crisis or Conquest of Paradise
Some simpler hex and counter game, maybe the Men of Iron reprint or Rebel Fury.
ADP or Falling Sky

Already found a good used copy of C&C Medieval and have Fort Sumter and Twilight Conflict on Steam.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

If you don't have NT, it should be on your perpetual too expensive wish list...

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Terminally Bored posted:

Paths of Glory
Empire of the Sun (probably won't ever learn or play the game in full but the newest edition has the mini scenario and an updated solo bot)
ADP or Falling Sky

Already found a good used copy of C&C Medieval and have Fort Sumter and Twilight Conflict on Steam.
That's a good list!

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Terminally Bored posted:

Paths of Glory
ADP or Falling Sky

Needs more of God's Own System (OCS)

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Get on that beyond the Rhine action while the sale is on!

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
OCS more like no-cs

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Panzeh posted:

OCS more like no-cs
Panzeh doesn't use a combat system, he just makes up results using the theatre of the mind.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Is OCS like ASL?

Napoleon's Triumph looks amazing but it's oop. Will there be a reprint?

One more for the wishlist: Unconditional Surrender. Played the mini version on Vassal and it owns. I'd even save up for a deluxe ed with mounted map if they put it on p500.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Terminally Bored posted:

Never again. Rachel Simmons has pretty much said so. I got a copy for $150 new in shrink, and I’ve never looked back.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Yeah, NT is a grail game, not a regular wishlist item. If you can find someone to teach you with their copy, I'd jump on it if I were you!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Nothing could possibly hope to be like ASL. It is gods gift to man.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Terminally Bored posted:

Board Game Geek has a high-res scan of the board as well as a PDF of the full rules for the game available. After that all you need to make a copy is some match sticks and red/blue paint. Its out of print so there is no need to feel any guilt:

:filez:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Rutibex posted:

Board Game Geek has a high-res scan of the board as well as a PDF of the full rules for the game available. After that all you need to make a copy is some match sticks and red/blue paint. Its out of print so there is no need to feel any guilt:

:filez:

Theft of Intellectual Prperty, whether or not it's out of print or not, is still theft.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Nov 23, 2019

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Really disappointed in the lack of D-Day Dice on these lists.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

tomdidiot posted:

Theft of Intellectual Prperty, whether or not it's out of print or not, is still theft.

Copyright infringement is not theft. Under Canadian law it is perfectly acceptable to copy anything you want, so long as the copied portion is for the purposes of private study or research. Printing out a rule book you found on BGG is not against the law, and neither is printing a map for your private non-commercial use.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_dealing_in_Canadian_copyright_law

Stealing a copyright would be really challenging.

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Nov 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
My wargames wishlist is to play my wargames (NT chief among them). Did get in a play of Sekigahara recently and that was great. Vaguely makes me want to try Tin Goose just based on how good that design is.