Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeStmria
Aug 13, 2019

"So it begins.."
How do professional lurkers find good threads to lurk into ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Shut up Meg posted:

It's kind of bizarre as anti-semitism isn't really a big thing here. I mean, obviously it is an issue, but if you asked people to list the most 'popular' -isms, I am not sure it would make the top ten.

Yeah, I was a little taken aback. I have noticed Brits saying anti-semitic stuff in online games, but its hard to gauge if one should take that sort of thing seriously. Also wow, Corbyn has a gift for pissing off everybody.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Fruits of the sea posted:

Yeah, I was a little taken aback. I have noticed Brits saying anti-semitic stuff in online games, but its hard to gauge if one should take that sort of thing seriously. Also wow, Corbyn has a gift for pissing off everybody.
I'd guess that they are probably emulating USA-assholes that they have heard online, rather than something that they have picked up in real life.

and yes, Corbyn is not particularly good at making friends. The number of people who left his cabinet was of biblical proportions

MikeStmria posted:

Pick a forum that covers a topic you are vaguely interested in and read any and all threads on the first page. You'll pick up a vibe within a couple of pages of a thread.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
What's the best (free) online service for a small group (<10) to collaborate and drop files onto so that everyone can access/edit them? Spreadsheets, Word docs, photos. Google Drive is my go-to, but I'm wondering if there's better out there before I really dive in and start it.

vvv Thanks!

Damn Bananas fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Nov 21, 2019

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

drat Bananas posted:

What's the best (free) online service for a small group (<10) to collaborate and drop files onto so that everyone can access/edit them? Spreadsheets, Word docs, photos. Google Drive is my go-to, but I'm wondering if there's better out there before I really dive in and start it.

OneDrive is good if it’s all O365 stuff. Dropbox is good for a mix of file formats (you’ve got one weirdo who insists on only using libreoffice and only has a protonmail account). iCloud is good if everyone is using Apple productivity stuff. Zoho is bad but has non-Microsoft and non-google browser productivity tools.

If you wanna get really weird with it, you can use a different service for each filetype! So share photos on imgur, quip for word processing, offilxs for spreadsheets, and vizmi or prezi for presentations.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

MikeStmria posted:

Lurkers don't post. You done hosed up.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I could have sworn that I remember an Eminem CD that has a theatre shooting on the inside dust jacket. Did I imagine this, or is it real? Are there photos of it?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Professor Shark posted:

I could have sworn that I remember an Eminem CD that has a theatre shooting on the inside dust jacket. Did I imagine this, or is it real? Are there photos of it?

Encore? The packaging has theater images and him shooting people, and the inlay is him with a gun in his mouth.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice

artsy fartsy posted:

I'll do it! If you still need it done, send it to me at buttthemusical at gmail dot com. Goons have helped me out a lot, it'd be nice to give back.

That is so kind of you! Thank you - I have emailed it through.

Will be waiting for my chance to pay things forward somehow...

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Fruits of the sea posted:

The journalistic world is composed chiefly of liberals, and the newspapers are run by liberals or reactionaries, so you'll be hard-pressed to find positive coverage of Corbyn in mainstream press. You should also note that while the crowd of liberal careerists who took over the workings of the Labour party under Blair despise Corbyn, he's quite popular with the party membership.

Labour's supposed problem antisemitism is entirely due to its opposition to Israeli settlement, which right-wing Israeli/pro-Zionist shitheads deliberately conflate with antisemitism, and Tory shitheads cynically repeat.

If you want to find the actual antisemitism in British politics then try looking at UKIP (working-class and more overt middle-class racists) and the Tories (upper-class racists voted in by middle-class racists who think they're on the cusp of being upper-class).

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I have some doc marten loafers I found at Ross, and I can not for the life of me find any information about them.

The only identifying marks are on the label, which reads ASHFELD AW004 SK 01 R.

Where the hell can I buy another pair? Everywhere I look, they're sold out. They're the most comfortable pair of shoes I've ever owned. After 4 years, they're starting to show some wear and tear and I need a replacement badly.

If I get any other Doc Marten shoes with the same size, will they fit my feet the same?

Bioshuffle fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Nov 22, 2019

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Bioshuffle posted:

I have some doc marten loafers I found at Ross, and I can not for the life of me find any information about them.

Where the hell can I buy another pair? Everywhere I look, they're sold out. They're the most comfortable pair of shoes I've ever owned. After 4 years, they're starting to show some wear and tear and I need a replacement badly.

If I get any other Doc Marten shoes with the same size, will they fit my feet the same?

I really don't have any idea about shoes but given that you can't find them in stock anywhere and you found it at a discount store that buys items that big stores are trying to offload it might have even been discontinued by the time you bought them at Ross.

Alternatively, my Stitch Fix stylist sent me these and they are the most comfortable shoes I have ever worn. You could also consider signing up for Stitch Fix and telling them about the shoe in case they can find something similar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxDSYIOWQT8

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Bioshuffle posted:

Take them to a cobbler and ask if they can be repaired. Good boots should basically never need to be replaced, but you might have to have a new sole installed or re-stitch some places.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What is the context for that loving meme that is literally everywhere with some angry lady pointing next to a picture of a cat sitting at a table?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

The chicks were from a real housewives show someone said on a discord

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The lady is Taylor Armstrong, who was flipping out at cast members on The Real Housewives because they were gossiping about her abusive ex-husband. The cat is Smudge. he no like vegetals.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

What is the context for that loving meme that is literally everywhere with some angry lady pointing next to a picture of a cat sitting at a table?

knowyourmeme.com/memes/woman-yelling-at-a-cat

Someone posted the two memes next to each other. That's it. It's a very silly origin for a very silly meme.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I see a lot of videos shared on Facebook that are a funny video, but shrunken down so that big ugly text can say SAW THIS FUNNY LITERLY CANT STOP LAUGHING with a bunch of emojis and poo poo. My question is, where does a person go to actually edit a video and do that? Is this an app? I guess by their low-effort text addition that they probably aren't using a video editing studio to do this, but nothing I can find will allow me to duplicate such a thing with any ease. There's so goddamn many of these, I feel like this is a really obvious thing everyone knows about.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
are mini-fridge compressors noticeably quieter than full-size ones?

the apartment i'm moving into has no actual kitchen and the room's acoustics are not kind with the noise of its full-size fridge so i'm keeping alternatives in mind

kolby
Oct 29, 2004
My wife and I cut the cord and have only local channels. My parents are watching my kid next week so I set it up to where they could watch their ATT UVERSE through our Firestick.

You can search channels but there's no clean "Guide" situation you know what I mean? Is that in the settings somewhere or do I need an APP?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

are mini-fridge compressors noticeably quieter than full-size ones?

Most mini fridges are low quality piece of garbage. So in my experience, no.

You have to be going pretty bottom of the barrel to end up with a new-ish full size fridge that anyone would consider loud.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Or even an old-ish one. Have you tried kicking it?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Or even an old-ish one. Have you tried kicking it?

the motor runs fine and the unit is level, but when the compressor kicks on it makes a high pitched noise like running your finger on a waterglass and it's pretty hard to take

like i said, i think it's mainly due to the room itself, it's just a living room with a kitchen nook so the noise echoes and amplifies

as for the age, it's a model number FFTR1713LW6 Frigidaire, which doesn't even appear to be on sale anywhere anymore. search engine hits are just for parts replacements

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Nov 24, 2019

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

the motor runs fine and the unit is level, but when the compressor kicks on it makes a high pitched noise like running your finger on a waterglass and it's pretty hard to take

That's not running "fine". There is something wrong with it.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
You don’t have to get a minifridge to ensure that your next fridge doesn’t make a noise like that.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
if the sound isn't natural then i'll give the landlord a call, but i'm not optimistic

the fridge itself is definitely used/old, there's staining and signs of wear that weren't entirely cleaned off before this unit was rented

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

credburn posted:

I see a lot of videos shared on Facebook that are a funny video, but shrunken down so that big ugly text can say SAW THIS FUNNY LITERLY CANT STOP LAUGHING with a bunch of emojis and poo poo. My question is, where does a person go to actually edit a video and do that? Is this an app? I guess by their low-effort text addition that they probably aren't using a video editing studio to do this, but nothing I can find will allow me to duplicate such a thing with any ease. There's so goddamn many of these, I feel like this is a really obvious thing everyone knows about.

Got a screenshot so we can see what you mean? The Social Fixer add-on for Chrome or Firefox can anonymize names for you if that's a concern.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
As a classically trained french chef (i spent 20k dollars to call myself that, so no I won't stop leading sentences that way,) I think you should contact your slumlord.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
In the AL, if you happen to have a pitcher who knows how to bat, can you use him or is a DH non-optional?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Is there a term for words or phrases that are opposite but still mean the same? "Yeah, I'm down for that!" and "Yeah, I'm up for that!" basically mean the same thing. Or "Jean jorts are so hot right now" vs "Jean jorts are so cool right now"

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

regulargonzalez posted:

Is there a term for words or phrases that are opposite but still mean the same? "Yeah, I'm down for that!" and "Yeah, I'm up for that!" basically mean the same thing. Or "Jean jorts are so hot right now" vs "Jean jorts are so cool right now"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto-antonym

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Lawnie posted:

Has anyone recently expedited renewal of a US passport? The website suggests 2-3 weeks but I’m scheduled to leave on a business trip exactly 2 weeks from today and would like some reassurance that I’ll receive it by then if I overnight everything to them today.

For anyone curious: my application arrived at the office on Tuesday and I had a new passport in hand on Saturday. $60 to expedite and $18 for 1-2 day return shipping, atop the usual fee.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

That's a cool and interesting page but it seems like the inverse of what I'm looking for

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

regulargonzalez posted:

That's a cool and interesting page but it seems like the inverse of what I'm looking for

Yet at the same time exactly what you were looking for. Very meta.

Seriously, an example you used, "down," is one of the examples listed on that page.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The Sean posted:

Yet at the same time exactly what you were looking for. Very meta.

Seriously, an example you used, "down," is one of the examples listed on that page.

As an example of a related but different thing. Regulargonzalez asked about two words that would normally mean the opposite of each other but which, in a particular context, mean the same thing. The article is about individual words which can mean two things, one of which is the opposite of the other. They're obviously similar concepts but there is a difference.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Tiggum posted:

As an example of a related but different thing. Regulargonzalez asked about two words that would normally mean the opposite of each other but which, in a particular context, mean the same thing. The article is about individual words which can mean two things, one of which is the opposite of the other. They're obviously similar concepts but there is a difference.
That is not what was asked there are no contexts where:

regulargonzalez posted:

"Yeah, I'm down for that!" and "Yeah, I'm up for that!"
mean different things. Those phrases always mean the same thing regardless of context. They are just using antonyms to express the same idea.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

twodot posted:

That is not what was asked there are no contexts where:

mean different things. Those phrases always mean the same thing regardless of context. They are just using antonyms to express the same idea.

Yes but Down and Up specifically, outside the context of those sentences, mean the opposite of each other in most cases. I can see what the other posters are getting at.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

regulargonzalez posted:

Some pairs of words acting like you described could be caused by one of them being an auto-antonym. But it seems in general you're looking for something like "a pair of words whose standard meanings are opposite but that share a figurative/slang meaning". I don't know of a term for that, sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Hipster_Doofus posted:

In the AL, if you happen to have a pitcher who knows how to bat, can you use him or is a DH non-optional?

The pitcher can take the at bat, but you forgo the option to use a DH for the rest of the game. If you replace that pitcher with one who cannot bat later in the game, you either have to have him bat or take him out of the game and have a pinch hitter hit for him.