Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
I am a pretty good cook thus I would like to nominate myself minister of middle class caramel and pastry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Mr. Apollo posted:

Minister of Rural Economic Development.

I know you lot hate us rurals but this is a little over the top.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I want to be the “Minister of Upper-Lower-Middle Class Types”

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Dr. Stab posted:

Minister for poo poo trudeau wants to sweep under the rug.

It’s 2020 so gender equality is now outdated.

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

When monsef was given those positions after electoral reform I knew it was the libs giving those issues a massive gently caress you

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Arivia posted:

It’s 2020 so gender equality is now outdated.

I mean more doing anything for it except having more women ministers.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

https://twitter.com/wabkinew/status/1197724509278597120?s=21

I too hope those police officers are safe after unloading 9 bullets into another human being

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Wait...

Was "the shooting" literally the police shooting someone?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

infernal machines posted:

Wait...

Yes, the man had a knife and had just robbed a 7-11

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

DariusLikewise posted:

https://twitter.com/wabkinew/status/1197724509278597120?s=21

I too hope those police officers are safe after unloading 9 bullets into another human being

that is not the kind of response I want from an indigenous ndp leader, gently caress

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

DariusLikewise posted:

Yes, the man had a knife and had just robbed a 7-11

Cool cool.

I always love it when the police de-escalate by filling the suspect full of lead. Good work lads.

Also, WTF Wab?

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Wait...

Armed robber got shot when they were trying to leave the store

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/drop-the-knife-police-shoot-armed-suspect-after-attempted-robbery-1.4697065

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Drunks are waaay worse than methheads ime

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Cool cool.

I always love it when the police de-escalate by filling the suspect full of lead. Good work lads.

Also, WTF Wab?

He was walking up to an officer with a machete and was winding up to chop his head off.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Sure, of course he was.

Is there video of the interaction? Because IDK about there, but here in TO police have a habit of ventilating suspects, and then telling tales about the incident that don't exactly match the footage, or each other.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Nov 22, 2019

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Sure, of course he was.

Is there video of the interaction? Because IDK about there, but here in TO police have a habit of ventilating suspects, and then telling tales about the incident that don't exactly match the footage, or each other.

Like EJ said there's a couple videos out there from multiple angles. If you don't want to watch someone getting lit up and still don't believe it though, here are the stills right before any shots were fired.

http://i.imgur.com/moQ6A0P.png
http://i.imgur.com/dJJQpGs.png
http://i.imgur.com/HWWQapO.png
http://i.imgur.com/mHlmOIu.png

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Okay, fair enough.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah, the guy came charging at the cops with his machete.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Huh. Government isn't interfering in the CN strike action.

...So far.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Huh. Government isn't interfering in the CN strike action.

...So far.

loving over workers is easy, bringing back Parliament two weeks before they intended to, not so much.

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

DynamicSloth posted:

loving over workers is easy, bringing back Parliament two weeks before they intended to, not so much.

Once the propane shortage start really getting felt and people start bitching at the right places, it will get "resolved" by the Govt.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
They had the minister of middle class prosperity on the CBC radio this morning and it was no very reassuring.

Arivia posted:

that is not the kind of response I want from an indigenous ndp leader, gently caress

I don't trust marxist when they say stuff like ID Politics is fake because I assume bad faith, but ID Politics isn't super legitimate and doesn't award people who fall into marginal groups special knowledge that make them always good at analysis of structural problems, public speaking, politics, etc. Believing blindly, or even using as a guideline that marginalized people will know and respond better, can lead to disappointment and risks producing weird hierarchies.

We should trust what marginalized people say, give marginalized people platforms to say it, genuinely listen to marginalized people, and strive at all times not to reproduce inequalities in coming up with socially just policies based on this information and participation. But marginalized people don't have an existence that inherently lets them see the truth all the time or express it, and can fall into supporting patterns that reproduce the status quo.

Also a comment on his language:

'It sucks when bullets suddenly penetrate the body like that in public places with no apparent causes!'

Toalpaz fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Nov 22, 2019

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Capital punishment is not legal in Canada and the Winnipeg cops are not judge and jury

The cops rolled up to the store guns already out of holsters and immediately pointed and yelled at the guy with the machete as soon as he came out store with no attempt at de-escalation. He didn't so much "charge" as he walked towards an officer with the knife up and the cops fired three times, he staggered and started to fall and six more bullets were fired.

Do not allow police discharging a weapon in any situation to escape scrutiny, everything should be analyzed and reviewed to ensure that they never need to shoot anyone.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

DariusLikewise posted:

Capital punishment is not legal in Canada and the Winnipeg cops are not judge and jury

The cops rolled up to the store guns already out of holsters and immediately pointed and yelled at the guy with the machete as soon as he came out store with no attempt at de-escalation. He didn't so much "charge" as he walked towards an officer with the knife up and the cops fired three times, he staggered and started to fall and six more bullets were fired.

Do not allow police discharging a weapon in any situation to escape scrutiny, everything should be analyzed and reviewed to ensure that they never need to shoot anyone.

That's when you die.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

That's when you die.

It never should have gotten to the point and the police are at fault

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/TheBeaverton/status/1197570186536030208?s=19

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

DariusLikewise posted:

What should they have done, in your eyes?

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DariusLikewise posted:

I kinda feel like the guy robbing the store with the machete has to have some of the blame here.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
listen if you can't stop a guy with a knife without fatally shooting him while several other cops also fatally shoot him, you should not be a cop

if you are that afraid of the knife man then perhaps you should not have chosen a career where it is your job to deal with knife men

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

TheCenturion posted:

What should they have done, in your eyes?

They could have used any of the de-escalation training they get to try and well, de-escalate the situation. The extra 6 shots fired after the guy started going down were incredibly excessive.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

vincentpricesboner posted:

I kinda feel like the guy robbing the store with the machete has to have some of the blame here.

I didn't realized armed robbery carries a sentence of death

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Yeah I know that the proliferation of 'less lethal' options like tasers masks real questions we should be asking about police use of force, but also they should have maybe tried that before killing the guy too.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Toalpaz posted:

Yeah I know that the proliferation of 'less lethal' options like tasers masks real questions we should be asking about police use of force, but also they should have maybe tried that before killing the guy too.

I'm not sure what winnipeg police is like but I know Toronto used to only give the tasers to sargents, giving the regular joe schmoe cops less options.

DariusLikewise posted:

I didn't realized armed robbery carries a sentence of death

Re-read my post. I'm not advocating for the death penalty for armed robbery, thats crazy. But you can't say the person who just robbed the store with a machete is blameless

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

I'm not sure what winnipeg police is like but I know Toronto used to only give the tasers to sargents, giving the regular joe schmoe cops less options.

Re-read my post. I'm not advocating for the death penalty for armed robbery, thats crazy. But you can't say the person who just robbed the store with a machete is blameless

I never said the guy was blameless, I said that there was several different actions that the police could have taken before drawing weapons and yelling that could have de-escalated the situation and resulted in no weapons being fired at all.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Nobody said he was blameless. You're creating a false dichotomy. Police being at fault in wrongful killing soneone doesn't mean that the guy they killed was perfectly innocent.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

I don't think the cops really need people defending them, and there should be serious consequences for killing people. I think that the dead person has shouldered enough blame at this point and it's time to mete out blame among the living.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Toalpaz posted:

I don't think the cops really need people defending them, and there should be serious consequences for killing people. I think that the dead person has shouldered enough blame at this point and it's time to mete out blame among the living.

Of course there should be serious consequences for killing people. We both agree on that. There is going to be in investigation into this shooting and if police are responsible they should be punished severely. I don't think this is that case but we will see.

The man deciding to rob a store with a machete set this all in motion. He put the staff in incredible risk and then himself and the public when he left the store.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

There won't be consequences because of the way the IIU is structured in Manitoba but that's a separate issue

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

DariusLikewise posted:

They could have used any of the de-escalation training they get to try and well, de-escalate the situation. The extra 6 shots fired after the guy started going down were incredibly excessive.

This is what got James Forcillo convicted of attempted murder.

Not that he shot Sammy Yatim, but that he shot him excessively, with a second volley after he was incapacitated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
Cool and normal that the police spokesman is admonishing the public for filming police officers.