Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Gerry T dropping sub-orbital nukes rn

https://twitter.com/g3rryt/status/1197710171960594432?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I keep receiving an error when selecting any deck to play on Arena other than my U/W control "deck validation error"

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I went something like 9/1 in historic with basically last season's Esper deck with a wish board. I beat soul sisters, elves, gruul x2, esper dance, uw cards, grixis, and a few other things I can't remember. A few of the games were close but it was mostly me playing Azcanta, Teferi, or a Wrath and it not being close at all. The one loss was some mono-black contraption that kept a sketchy hand but drew insanely well including their 3rd Rankle off the top when I would have been fully stabilized on my next turn.

My highlight was probably EOT wishing for a Mass Manipulation with my opponent having a board of Ilharg and Fauna Shaman with 4 cards in their graveyard. They drew, discarded their creature to the Shaman, and gave me a 5th card to Drown Ilhargh. That let me untap with little Teferi and Mass Manipulation for 2 and for some reason they thought that was enough to concede.

Seriously Teferi is so stupid why does that card exist.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

DangerDongs posted:

I keep receiving an error when selecting any deck to play on Arena other than my U/W control "deck validation error"

If you're using Mirage lands, you need to swap them out for inferior ones until they un-gently caress them.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

DangerDongs posted:

Make sure your basics are from a standard legal set. Old ones (like the mirage basics) are not historic legal. Yes this is extremely funny. Yes this is 100% serious.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Decks I tried last night:

Gruul not-adventure: never really got there with it. It's hard to imagine a core of "OuaT, Pelt Collector, Llanowar Elves, Emissary, Lovestruck Beast, Spellbreaker, QB" ISN'T a deck, but in a half dozen games last night it never really came together for me. The build is in there somewhere, but Zhur-Taa Goblin might not be it. This probably wants an actual plan, either going all-in on adventures or the Explore package, maybe.

Mono-U tempo: Another flop for me, with Obsession, Brazen Borrower, etc. I think this deck depends a lot on having the right interaction package and I just didn't. Cat/Oven decks were really popular against me last night, and this deck has a super hard time, since bounce doesn't stop the combo and Dive Down is miserable against the deck.

Goblin Matron Cavalcade: Worked like a charm. Matron lets you run some tutor targets. Warleader might not actually be good, as a lot of your 1-power haste goblins already have haste and don't benefit from the cost reduction.

I'm going to play Ornithopter aggro tonight, then maybe try out a control deck.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Huxley posted:

Decks I tried last night:

Gruul not-adventure: never really got there with it. It's hard to imagine a core of "OuaT, Pelt Collector, Llanowar Elves, Emissary, Lovestruck Beast, Spellbreaker, QB" ISN'T a deck, but in a half dozen games last night it never really came together for me. The build is in there somewhere, but Zhur-Taa Goblin might not be it. This probably wants an actual plan, either going all-in on adventures or the Explore package, maybe.

Mono-U tempo: Another flop for me, with Obsession, Brazen Borrower, etc. I think this deck depends a lot on having the right interaction package and I just didn't. Cat/Oven decks were really popular against me last night, and this deck has a super hard time, since bounce doesn't stop the combo and Dive Down is miserable against the deck.

I don’t think Llanowar Elves and BTE are cards you want in a GRUUL smash ur face deck. Any card that isn’t Pelt collector should have Riot/Haste

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Huxley posted:

I'm going to play Ornithopter aggro tonight, then maybe try out a control deck.

Play an Azorious skies deck with them and a concede every time you can't get a hand of 'thopter X4, Plains, Sephara by your first mulligan.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Owlbear Camus posted:

Play an Azorious skies deck with them and a concede every time you can't get a hand of 'thopter X4, Plains, Sephara by your first mulligan.

Get it to work once, post it on Reddit, spend the next night scooping up concede victories.

Bust Rodd posted:

I don’t think Llanowar Elves and BTE are cards you want in a GRUUL smash ur face deck. Any card that isn’t Pelt collector should have Riot/Haste

You're probably right, and the midrange explore deck is probably better. But I was christmaslanding my way to multiple BTE chaining into Zhur-Taa (into scoop to flame sweep).

Huxley fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Nov 22, 2019

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jabor posted:

If you're using Mirage lands, you need to swap them out for inferior ones until they un-gently caress them.

Thanks boys. That is unfucking real.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

GerryT seems like a good dude. :unsmith:

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jabor posted:

suicidesteve posted:

Make sure your basics are from a standard legal set. Old ones (like the mirage basics) are not historic legal. Yes this is extremely funny. Yes this is 100% serious.

Lmfao

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I would kill to take a peek at the source code for this loving bloated resource hog abomination

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

At least they've learned from their mistakes with MTGO and not uhh, made it a horribly unstable memory hog that... uses different versions of the same card differently...

Hmm

Credit where it's due, it does seem to run a TINY bit better with this last update. my laptop doesn't immediately try to launch itself into space, anyway.

Dick Boat
Jul 3, 2009

Pulse Demon

Recently got back into MTG, have a question about Adventures.

If I play an Adventure, then play the creature from Exile, then do something to return the creature back to my hand - Am I allowed to play the Adventure again?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Dick Boat posted:

If I play an Adventure, then play the creature from Exile, then do something to return the creature back to my hand - Am I allowed to play the Adventure again?

Yes.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Dick Boat posted:

Yep!

One thing to be careful of, though, is that if the adventure doesn’t resolve (countered, illegal target, etc) the card will go to the graveyard, not exile, and you won’t be able to cast the creature.

Dick Boat
Jul 3, 2009

Pulse Demon

Ultiville posted:

Yep!

One thing to be careful of, though, is that if the adventure doesn’t resolve (countered, illegal target, etc) the card will go to the graveyard, not exile, and you won’t be able to cast the creature.

Thanks

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Figured some people might be interested in this. Those LCD writing tablets are on sale and this one looks good because it has a lock function to make sure you don't accidentally erase life totals in the middle of a match. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01I9DBMOM/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_8xb2DbA39WHMQ

Also the 2019 holiday card looks fun as usual:

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe

LifeLynx posted:

Figured some people might be interested in this. Those LCD writing tablets are on sale and this one looks good because it has a lock function to make sure you don't accidentally erase life totals in the middle of a match. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01I9DBMOM/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_8xb2DbA39WHMQ

Also the 2019 holiday card looks fun as usual:

Just gonna swap my deck with this one I have over here that has 20 black lotus', 20 ancestral recall and 10 lightning bolts.

Alternatively, swap with this deck I have of 0 cards while I have labman/jace out.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

WalrusWhiskers posted:

Just gonna swap my deck with this one I have over here that has 20 black lotus', 20 ancestral recall and 10 lightning bolts.

Alternatively, swap with this deck I have of 0 cards while I have labman/jace out.

I'm gonna swap it out for a YuGiOh deck and see if I can get Blue Eyes White Dragon out

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Devor posted:

I'm gonna swap it out for a YuGiOh deck and see if I can get Blue Eyes White Dragon out

I remember a 90's Scry or Inquest article where they tongue-in-cheek tried to play every then-extant CCG against the other in a free for all.

I think it ended with the Illuminati guy playing a Neutron bomb as a sweeper, the Sim City guy saying it would affect the Jyhad, Rage, MTG, and Spellfire player's creatures but his city and buildings were fine, and the Redemption player claiming victory for all the lost souls they'd saved in the aftermath.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

https://twitter.com/NumotTheNummy/status/1197936224171778048

yikes.

Oh hey, that reminds me. Is the Legacy cube still on or did I miss it?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

odiv posted:

Oh hey, that reminds me. Is the Legacy cube still on or did I miss it?

You missed it but you really didn't miss much (it's always just idiots trying to force mono red, I don't get it in a format that's supposed to just be fun, but this iteration in particular was just not good for me).

Vintage cube is in a few weeks.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

LifeLynx posted:

I used to have kids who would always have the bombiest same two color combo decks at prereleases. They'd always disappear as soon as I started catching on. There's still always a part of me that hates playing sealed without decklists because you can't rule out someone getting lucky vs. someone swapping unplayable cards for playable ones of the same rarity.

Pre-release packs should just come with a receipt of all the cards in that pool. If anyone asks, you can just show the receipt.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Pre-release packs should just come with a receipt of all the cards in that pool. If anyone asks, you can just show the receipt.

that sounds kinda expensive to actually design and implement

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Salvor_Hardin posted:

KeyForge does this, it's an interesting idea they could probably do now that Magic cards are made to be machine-readable. If cost wasn't an issue, Wizards could probably do it as well.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

evilweasel posted:

that sounds kinda expensive to actually design and implement

Keyforge does it, but I listened to the GDC talk that the lead designer did about it and it was difficult to accomplish.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Prerelease is meant to be a casualish thing anyway, really, that kind of scrutiny would probably put some non-cheaters who are new to magic off.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Bust Rodd posted:

Every creature has riot with rhythm of the wild :colbert:

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Owlbear Camus posted:

I remember a 90's Scry or Inquest article where they tongue-in-cheek tried to play every then-extant CCG against the other in a free for all.

I think it ended with the Illuminati guy playing a Neutron bomb as a sweeper, the Sim City guy saying it would affect the Jyhad, Rage, MTG, and Spellfire player's creatures but his city and buildings were fine, and the Redemption player claiming victory for all the lost souls they'd saved in the aftermath.

Yep, that sounds like Inquest alright! Those were good days.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Oh hey.

https://twitter.com/wizards_magic/status/1197952962418663424

(I haven't read the apology yet. Hopefully it's not "We're sorry you were offended".)

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Oh nice, they actually addressed the Chandra book thing

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/chandra-and-forsaken-novel-2019-11-22

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

odiv posted:

Oh hey.

(I haven't read the apology yet. Hopefully it's not "We're sorry you were offended".)

no, but it's basically the next rung up the ladder: "we're sorry we upset you, and there will be Things in the future about Chandra who we know you love and care about and identify with and they may or may not involve same-sex relationships"

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

odiv posted:

Oh hey.

I don't quite get their statement after reading it, it seems like it says nothing besides "oh no we made you upset, please accept our apologies, next time will be better!!"

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

It's basically a "if you're disappointed, we're sorry and please look forward to what comes next"

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Cowardice. They should have come out and said "please consider the most recent novel a "what if" story and as an apology your Nissa-Chandra playmats are now all canon."

Seriously though "sorry about that, don't worry she'll love more, maybe ladies! in future stories" is some "drink your ovaltine level queerbaiting.

I'm not myself gay, but I still groan how nerd media treats this stuff at arm's length. The harry potter beast thing where Dumbledore can't just have a kiss or say he was gay with the bad guy, he has to say "oh, we were closer than brothers." Or in Star Trek 13, Sulu's husband was confined to an incidental dialogue free shot that was removed for international releases in countries where it's frowned on for gay's to exist.

While I'm at it f everyone who says "who cares who they are sleeping with, it's just a card game." Like if you don't want to engage with the suplimentary fiction by all means-- I'm not going to, it's trash. But if you are writing stories about the wizards depicted on the cards, well, romance is a huge part of the human condition so yes it's going to come up in any decent serialized story about the characters and the gay romances should be given the same screen time as the straight ones and not kept in biohazard containment with innuendo and obliqueness you don't give straight ones.

Anyway unban Splinter Twin.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Kurtofan posted:

I don't quite get their statement after reading it, it seems like it says nothing besides "oh no we made you upset, please accept our apologies, next time will be better!!"

Well it's not like they can errata the book

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
On top of that they seem completely oblivious to context. Having this released immediately after the Autumn lands incident really makes it that much more cringey to do a sudden 180 on this storyline.

Did they intend it this way? Probably not. Does that matter? Nope. All that matters is that this looks really bad, and they need to own that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

We just have to wait for 5 years when they will reprint it with a different name, better stats, but worse art.