Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Lowtax posted:

Yeah that PP isn't funny at all and really doesn't have any place here, so I'm deleting it. AND NOTHING OF VALUE WAS LOST
Thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Lowtax posted:

Yeah that PP isn't funny at all and really doesn't have any place here, so I'm deleting it. AND NOTHING OF VALUE WAS LOST

Thank you for cleaning out the bullshit Lowtax

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Lowtax posted:

Thanks very much.

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

Lowtax posted:

Do you know who bought that stupid ad so I can buy them a red title?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Not ad-related, but along similar lines as the PP that was deleted, I've noticed this weekend web showing up under "What's Hot" frequently over the past few months, and I think the article title should be censored so you don't just have the n-word showing up on the main page.

I've wondered if people were accessing the article a lot specifically to get it to show up for that reason.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

staplegun posted:

Do you know who bought that stupid ad so I can buy them a red title?

When buying an ad, there's no information you need to supply that gives your username out. I'm going to guess that tracking this would be impossible unless their names matched on a credit card.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Lowtax posted:

Thank you senor Phoebe Eye

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Lowtax posted:

Thank you.

quote:

I don't have any issue with deleting poo poo from the past that I don't think is funny. If something gets old and goes rotten, you throw it away.

This is a really good way to look at this kind of stuff.

CascadeBeta fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Nov 8, 2019

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Rollersnake posted:

Not ad-related, but along similar lines as the PP that was deleted, I've noticed this weekend web showing up under "What's Hot" frequently over the past few months, and I think the article title should be censored so you don't just have the n-word showing up on the main page.

I've wondered if people were accessing the article a lot specifically to get it to show up for that reason.

I don't have any issue with that, because that's the name of the forum being mocked. It doesn't really bother me if it's on the main page, because if somebody is offended by us mocking racists, then whatever.

As for people repeatedly accessing the article just to make it show up, I could completely believe that, because it's so amazingly stupid and pointless that it fits perfectly with the off site idiots who are sure this will definitely be the one thing that brings down my empire of failure.

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

Lowtax posted:

Thank you!

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Lowtax posted:

No I just did what any actual human being should do. The fact that the bar is set so low doesn't say so much about me.

Rich you are a better man than most. Some sites would say "No this is our history, it was funny in 2004, THE WEBSITE IS CALLED SOMETHING AWFUL NOT SOMETHING SENSITIVE!" but you realized how problematic it was and got it taken care of.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

SalTheBard posted:

Rich you are a better man than most. Some sites would say "No this is our history, it was funny in 2004, THE WEBSITE IS CALLED SOMETHING AWFUL NOT SOMETHING SENSITIVE!" but you realized how problematic it was and got it taken care of.
It's a function of age and learning what's actually important in your life. Honestly I don't know how that article ever ran (or how it's been there for a decade and a half!), because I would've never, at any point in my life, thought it was funny. I would've pulled it back then just like I pulled it now; hopefully it's an aberration, and people don't feel that kind of content is reflective of the site in general, because I sure as gently caress don't find it funny, and I've only tried to put up poo poo I've found funny.

Knee
Jul 19, 2006

I'm telling you, it's true. People grow from spores.
Isn't Weekend Web where we poo poo on other websites? (sometimes ourselves)

So if there's racist stuff (and whatever else) in there, it's coming from somewhere else and we're pointing out that it's bad?

Quick edit: or am I thinking of the Awful link of the day?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Knee posted:

(sometimes ourselves)

Nah we do that right here at home :metis:

Also thanks Lowtax! If we find other front page content on that same level should we post them here in the ad thread?

Knee
Jul 19, 2006

I'm telling you, it's true. People grow from spores.
Might be worth making a new sticky here? Some brief title and OP about "if you find any old front page or otherwise content that's really racist/phobic and lovely link it here" then just let mods/admins or Lowtax himself decide its fate.

No discussions necessary and won't clog up this Ad thread.

Knee fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Nov 9, 2019

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Knee posted:

Might be worth making a new sticky here? Some brief title and OP about "if you find any old front page or otherwise content that's really racist/phobic and lovely link it here" then just let mods/admins or Lowtax himself decide its fate.

No discussions necessary and won't clog up this Ad thread.
I don't really think it's that big of an issue. If there had been more than one example, sure, that would be fine.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Lowtax posted:

I don't have any issue with that, because that's the name of the forum being mocked. It doesn't really bother me if it's on the main page, because if somebody is offended by us mocking racists, then whatever.

As for people repeatedly accessing the article just to make it show up, I could completely believe that, because it's so amazingly stupid and pointless that it fits perfectly with the off site idiots who are sure this will definitely be the one thing that brings down my empire of failure.

Fair enough, and to be clear, I have no issue with the article itself. I just think having "What's Hot: Niggermania" on the main page looks bad regardless of the context.

John Dounce
Jan 17, 2012

Just wanna mention that pages 2 to 9 of the Offensive Cereals article are still online. I read this thread after the first page was already deleted and was curious so I GISd it and there it was.
https://www.somethingawful.com/photoshop-phriday/offensive-cereals/2/
FWIW, I chuckled at Kelloggs FROSTED DIRTY ASSHOLES.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Mondo Gatto posted:

Just wanna mention that pages 2 to 9 of the Offensive Cereals article are still online. I read this thread after the first page was already deleted and was curious so I GISd it and there it was.

:chloe: It's telling how the "funniest" of these are the ones that are the ones that are just random obscenities like Kellogg's Star Trek gently caress You.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Mondo Gatto posted:

Thanks I forgot to save Whore Cunts

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
lol he just deleted page 1 instead of the whole thing?

Docahedron
May 11, 2008

Im a special snowflake

Snazzy Frocks posted:

lol he just deleted page 1 instead of the whole thing?

Do not question Lowtax's ways (he probably just forgot)

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
A lot of these are pretty good

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

JK Fresco posted:

Start a pyf thread. But ONLY post the good ones

"Pyf: revisiting (y)our problematic roots"

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

JK Fresco posted:

jk fresco got banned two months ago for......let’s seeeeeee....racism

huh how bout that

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Electric Bugaloo posted:

jk fresco got banned two months ago for......let’s seeeeeee....racism

huh how bout that

Nice rap sheet pwn

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Mondo Gatto posted:

I remember a lot of racial slurs being thrown around back then but yow that's some spicy mulligatawny

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
There are currently two banner ads displayed very upset about cereal and say the word "human being". As much as I partake in Whore Cunts as part of a balanced breakfast those ads should probably go.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
this links to page 2 of the bad cereals thread

yikes

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Oh no

this is a really inconvenient timing for taxman too.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
How much of a coward do you have to be to buy an offensive ad when you know Lowtax would be too busy to remove it.

Mods please replace this foul ad with the wholesome Mario ad:

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Putty posted:

How much of a coward do you have to be to buy an offensive ad when you know Lowtax would be too busy to remove it.

Mods please replace this foul ad with the wholesome Mario ad:

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I second that motion. May we all learn to be better people and eat some spaghetti and meet balls.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Can we agree to ignore it a few days? Screw giving the trolls what they want.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Ignore it? Just ignore it? Are you insane? There are three slurs and three vulnerable communities that ad is attacking. How about we get rid of the system that allows online hate groups to buy ads here with no oversight or vetting process?

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

There’s just gonna be more and more of them as long as the Kiwis keep putting down money. You’d think there’d be a way to vet ads, but I’m assuming that if they didn’t think of that when the site was made, it isn’t very feasible now.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Can't they just get rid of ads entirely then? We need to be protected from hate speech. That needs to be the admins number one priority at all times.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Can't they just get rid of ads entirely then? We need to be protected from hate speech. That needs to be the admins number one priority at all times.

You ve been here since 2013, Those slurs were once used here as jokes and can be found all over the front page and in old threads. Its good the site and culture have moved on and we all want to be on the right side of history. If I recall there were some old EVE online ads from 05 that started this.

Then the old photoshop of offensive cereals

But Charles is right these something sensitive, kiwis' sass 4chan who ever is buying ads to get a reaction and your giving it to them, If the Eve ads were taken down quietly it might have worked but the 2nd there was a "debate" and lowtax made a statement about it, boom the loving trolls got an idea, Taking ads down and publicly "discussing" them only encourages it.

You are correct ads should not be automatic and maybe the site coder should look into changing that, but he's gone. Also Lowtax has his wife and child to deal with Are banner ads saying bad words more important than the sites owners current family crises?

maybe lowtax could disable the buy ads thing but again I think he has more important things to do, So for my hot take its best if we all ignore them and maybe a mod or admin could step up to address the issues via PM to avoid feeding the trolls

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Deleted anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Thank you mods. Thank you admins.