Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

Cavenagh posted:

I made fancy dinner.

Had leftover Blood Cake. So I braised some Trotters and Pig Tails with masses of vegetables. Picked the meat and added it to the Blood Cake with some Apple and made a Bon Bon. It's resting on Rutabaga Puree which was sweetened with Maple and made great with Butter. I took the Trotter Stock and used it to braise Pork Cheeks and Shallots. The Pork Cheek is sitting on a Bubble and Squeak (Baked Potato and crisped Kale with Roast Celeriac). Between the two are Fava Beans, Pea Shoots and Pork Crackling. All scattered with Chervil and a some of the well reduced Trotter Stock with more waiting to be poured over.

Yeah this all sounds amazing.

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

My friend gave me a big pile of hot peppers. Figured I’d roast them and see how they turned out.

I’ve been putting them on EVERYTHING. Was wondering how long they’d stay preserved with just a little olive oil and salt. But at the rate I’m eating them they won’t last a week.

And this.

Last nights supper -

So we've got ginger, garlic, soy sauce and spring onion marinated pork belly, with savoy cabbage, carrots and a bit of chilli. It's really tasty and packed with umami flavours and that unctuous pork belly fat, with just a little tingle on the tongue from the chilli.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

crosspost from the soup cook or die thread

Eat This Glob posted:

I've been under the weather the last couple of days. Thankfully, Portuguese Penicillin will cure what ails me. Tonight I made caldo verde/Portuguese kale soup made with kale (duh), beans, potatoes, onion, garlic, stock, and linguica sausage.

It was very tasty.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
Made ramen. Need bigger bowls.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
I'm going through a baking kick right now.

Chicken, red pepper and chorizo pasties.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Dinner in progress.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Olpainless posted:

Tell me more about that gorgeous crust.

toplitzin posted:

Dinner in progress.

I'm not sure what this is exactly, but that much oil on that much dough is gonna be good.

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019

Cavenagh posted:

All scattered with Chervil and a some of the well reduced Trotter Stock with more waiting to be poured over.

You're blowing my loving mind right now. You're telling me people EAT chervil? The same horrible weed that takes over every square inch of open ground and I spend half my summer weed whacking?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Tell me more about that gorgeous crust.

Nothing special, just a 4:1:1 ratio of regular white flour, lard and salted butter, worked by hand (because its the most relaxing thing in the world.)

Oh, and egg wash to finish of course.

Olpainless fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Nov 10, 2019

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Had a bunch of friends over yesterday for a bit of a writing workshop, which I spent in the kitchen all day doing experiments. For dinner I made a giant plate of ravioli. This was with granulated black garlic in the dough, then filled with a ricotta/duxelle mix, finished with brown butter/sage.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Nephzinho posted:

Had a bunch of friends over yesterday for a bit of a writing workshop, which I spent in the kitchen all day doing experiments. For dinner I made a giant plate of ravioli. This was with granulated black garlic in the dough, then filled with a ricotta/duxelle mix, finished with brown butter/sage.

Give.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003

Nephzinho posted:

I want to come over to your house for experiments now.

And by experiments I mean sexual, like that food.

Calypso
Sep 28, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Nephzinho posted:

drat. That looks amazing.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

....pizza?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Peesha

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Double posting with tonight's dinner.

Pan seared salmon with old Bay, broccoli, found box of rice a Roni.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
In-laws came to town and they are somewhat...unadventurous eaters. Luckily everybody likes fried chicken!

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
wife & i cooked up some chili & cornbread to enter into the annual workplace cookoff

roasted onions, garlic, & jalapenos then diced up and thrown in the crock pot. browned the beef chunks & ground pork in oil & chili seasoning in batches and set aside. deglazed pan with some red wine then a few tablespoons of tomato paste with a dab of oil go in to turn dark brown. meat thrown back in to get fully covered in tomatoey goodness and the rest of the seasoning. added to crock pot with 4 kinds of beans, small amount of stock, tomato sauce, & beer for some liquid, along with 1 tbsp fish sauce & about 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar. set on low overnight

the beef melts in your mouth. for the chili powder portion of the seasoning we use 1 part standard grocery store chili powder & 3 parts bright red chili powder from the local indian market which brings the heat up a notch that builds and lingers for a bit. it's super, super tasty

jalapeno, cheddar, and honey cornbread. the picture doesn't do it justice, it's so drat good. was my dessert last night and my breakfast this morning

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
I always underestimate the time it’s going to take me to make ramen. Still it was worth it.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Olpainless posted:

I'd kick my mom in the shin to get at those. Nice!

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

I always underestimate the time it’s going to take me to make ramen. Still it was worth it.

I'd do more than kick my mom in the shin to get at that bowl. drat, that looks nice!

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Sticky tamarind chicken from Dinner: Changing the Game over rice with raita, bitter melon pickles and matar paneer that was totally not made with jar sauce. I did make the paneer myself though!

The chicken recipe itself is 5/5 and probably would be even better if I had actually remembered to turn the chicken to get the sauce to stick to it. The recipe doesn't call for you to finish it off under the broiler but that would probably be a further improvement.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Sex Hobbit posted:

Sticky tamarind chicken from Dinner: Changing the Game over rice with raita, bitter melon pickles and matar paneer that was totally not made with jar sauce. I did make the paneer myself though!

The chicken recipe itself is 5/5 and probably would be even better if I had actually remembered to turn the chicken to get the sauce to stick to it. The recipe doesn't call for you to finish it off under the broiler but that would probably be a further improvement.

I need to get some nice metal serving platters and ramekins to up my Indian plating.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

I made dinner for my partner and I. Yukon golds, mushrooms, carrots, kabocha, leek, and ginger roasted with chicken leg quarters. Drippings extracted and turned into a pan sauce with mustard, lemon juice, and butter.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Butter saag paneer with naan

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Not terribly photogenic, but I took a run at Maine baked beans. Larger - in this case, soldier beans - dried beans compared to their Boston baked bean cousins, and less molasses.

Like all good New Englanders, Mainers relish in being the most austere and greatest hater of anything that could seem enjoyable or decadent, so you make it beanier and less sweet. They're the poached chicken breast of people. Coincidentally, my nearly 90 year old Maine-born grandma eats the gently caress out of poached chicken and plain veggies.

The rest is salt pork, onion, black pepper, and dried mustard powder. It cooked quicker than I planned. I assume that's a side effect of less molasses. They are pretty tasty. Now to get a nice crust on top and cook up some natural casing hot dogs on grilled new england style rolls later in the day.

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009
Had some leftover ribeye that I grilled on Friday, chopped it up real good with some other secret stuff and made tacos

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
I discovered what might be the easiest from-scratch apple pie recipe in the world in Jacques Pepin's autobiography and gave it a whirl for Sunday dinner. The results were amazing and I'd like to share it with you all:

100g AP flour
50g cake flour
15g sugar
3g salt
4g baking powder
1 egg, beaten
85g butter, softened

Mix in bowl then combine with 30ml hot milk; do not overwork. Smear the wet dough into pie dish. Refrigerate once done

Preheat oven to 425f

Slice apples. Retrieve pie dish and place apples on. Liberally sprinkle with sugar. Top with plenty of chilled butter slices. Bake 55m

Here's a pic (I used a spring form cake tin because I didn't have a proper pie dish):

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Pasta and Peas tonight! This is one of those dishes I never appreciated growing up. Whenever my mom would cook it, I couldn’t haves cared less. Now it’s one of my staple weeknight dishes all over again.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Toasted up some walnuts in honey with garlic and aleppo, then put them on some pesto covered flatbread with mozz, tomatoes, and finished with arugula and some peach balsamic. How the gently caress am I supposed to eat regular food tomorrow

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

“Sauce:
2 tablespoons fish sauce
1.5 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon minced garlic
A few good shakes of chili powder.

Pre warm rice noodles in warm/hot water for a few minutes until they’re mostly cooked. Strain.

In wok sauté shrimp (or tofu, or chicken) with a little oil until par cooked. Add pre-warmed rice noodles and mix together. Push to side and drop in two eggs to briefly scramble and then stir up and mix into noodles and shrimp. Pour in the sauce. Add shaved carrot, mung bean sprouts, chopped scallions. Stir all together.

Serve and garnish with crushed peanuts (preferably toasted), chopped cilantro and lime wedges “

This is my standard recipe. It’s a good jumping off point. After making it over and over I’ve kind of switched around the order that I add things to the wok. But that really depends on the way you like to stir fry things... the kind of wok you have, how much oil you like to use, temp, etc.

Like now I usually cook the eggs first and take them out and add them back towards the end. They were getting too mashed up with all the stirring and tossing.

Sauce recipe is still the same because I think it’s pretty excellent.

Help me make this-I tried it tonight but it didn’t taste like much and I couldn’t get the noodles to mix well with the chicken, egg, or sprouts.

I used half a pack of rice noodles-is that what you usually use?

I also don’t have a wok so I did it in a nonstick pan.

I cooked the eggs first, set them aside, then I cooked the chicken, added in the drained noodles, added sauce, green onions and sprouts (I didn’t have carrots), then I tried to mix it all together but the chicken and egg just would not incorporate into the noodles, so I basically plated the noodles first and then topped it with the chicken and the egg.

For the flavor, it just didn’t taste much like anything. It smelled fishy because the fish sauce bit that was it. I added sriracha, more cilantro, more peanuts, more like juice, and some extra soy and that helped a little bit. I think I should maybe add some more honey next time?

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

nwin posted:

Help me make this-I tried it tonight but it didn’t taste like much and I couldn’t get the noodles to mix well with the chicken, egg, or sprouts.

I used half a pack of rice noodles-is that what you usually use?

I also don’t have a wok so I did it in a nonstick pan.

I cooked the eggs first, set them aside, then I cooked the chicken, added in the drained noodles, added sauce, green onions and sprouts (I didn’t have carrots), then I tried to mix it all together but the chicken and egg just would not incorporate into the noodles, so I basically plated the noodles first and then topped it with the chicken and the egg.

For the flavor, it just didn’t taste much like anything. It smelled fishy because the fish sauce bit that was it. I added sriracha, more cilantro, more peanuts, more like juice, and some extra soy and that helped a little bit. I think I should maybe add some more honey next time?

Definitely try more honey. Or sugar if that’s more your thing.

Half pack of noodles sounds right, and a decent nonstick pan should work fine as long as it’s big enough. You can also try fully cooking and removing both the eggs and chicken, and adding them back after the sauce has had a couple of minutes to set into the noodles and veggies. Usually there’s still plenty of sauce to soak into the chicken and eggs afterwards.

For me this recipe has been a lot of trial and error. I forget where I found the original recipe. Over time it’s changed so much. I think Pad Thai is a perfect platform to really make a recipe your own. After you make it a few times the tweaks you make will really tailor it to your own tastes. You make it two or three more times you’ll probably have something totally different than the way I do it.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Stuffed pork chops, roasted veggies, undercooked potate, fresh rolls.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

toplitzin posted:

Stuffed pork chops, roasted veggies, undercooked potate, fresh rolls.

Do you have a recipe for the stuffed porkchops?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

TheCog posted:

Do you have a recipe for the stuffed porkchops?

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Nov 21, 2019

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Rosemary dijon pork tenderloin with pesto cauliflower.

Feels like it needs a sauce on the bottom, but with the marinade being so flavorful, and the pork being so juicy, it certainly didn't taste like it needed a sauce.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Yeah, that's a very handsome loin. Well done on the non-"well done" pork, too.

Oddly enough, the stuffed chop recipe reminds me that I really dont eat pork because of all the years I lived in rural iowa. I cook it for my wife, but I cant stomach it.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I usually love pork, but recently I've been getting this inexplicable and unpleasant pissy smell from it and an undeniably similar taste. I don't know if Wegmans changed suppliers to PissPork Incorporated or if I just lost my taste for it somehow, but it's turned me off pork very hard.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

Brawnfire posted:

I usually love pork, but recently I've been getting this inexplicable and unpleasant pissy smell from it and an undeniably similar taste. I don't know if Wegmans changed suppliers to PissPork Incorporated or if I just lost my taste for it somehow, but it's turned me off pork very hard.

Try getting a good chop from a butcher shop to test out that theory?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
that sounds like boar/male pork meat that got a little too old before slaughter. You may also have the gene that makes pork smell pissy, though I would have thought you'd have developed that taste a lot earlier in life.