Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Everyone posted:

Let me start with I've never LARPed, much less LARPed Vampire. That said, consider your origin story. Your character is a demolitions expert. His inclination is to look for (generally physical) weak spots in buildings/etc. that he can exploit to destroy them. Figure some of that thinking will carry over to his social interactions as well. Think this clip from about 1:20 or so.

And consider that while you're a heavy, you're a Tremere heavy. You're not some thrill-seeking Brujah or half-wild Gangrel. Your loyalties are to your clan as a whole, your master and yourself (if not necessarily in that order). Outside of those affiliations you don't (or shouldn't) have friends and enemies. You just have tools or obstacles. Problems to solve or opportunities to exploit. Let everyone outside your clan circle (and many in it) feel your indifference to them as anything but potential tools to use or problems to solve. Look at them all as structures you might have to demolish. And let them feel you thinking of them that way.

And throw a bit of '40s slang in there, too. You're Vampire Captain America. Have a bit of fun with that.

This is great. I was going to suggest proto-gargoyle experiment with embracing burn victims, pyromaniacs, and/or pyrokinetic mortals. Are you loyal to the clan for real, or only because of the blood bond? But the demolitionist is way better.

Also for woof chat:. Wtf no question. Don't be afraid to use down and dirty rules for non supernatural combat to let your players feel incredibly powerful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

As far as I can tell, NMage history is either 'here's the weird cult that started this organization, which is what you can use as the basis for their aesthetics now' or historical settings like To The Strongest. Which by all appearances kicks rear end.

Personally I like the NMage history because it is extremely useful for describing the ideologies and organizations that players will be maneuvering within. They mostly don't go too deep; it doesn't matter at all who did what in the past except the rare thing like 'By the way, Merlin was real, a member of the Silver Ladder, and made Camelot disappear as part of his huge magical ritual' because that helps characterize the modern office of The Merlin, a Welsh Silver Ladder tradition. But enough history to be able to say where organizations came from and what they refer back to is valuable for making them feel meaningful in the moment.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Mors Rattus posted:

e: it has other layout flaws, i mean, but the only prehistory it goes into is the part that matters because it frames why you do what you do

Forsaken books have historically suffered from the same problem as the Awakening 1e core, which is to say, in distant prehistory a bunch of things happened to set things up, then a lot of nothing, and now you're here to be motivated by those prehistory things rather than by anything more immediate or contemporary. But the 2e books do get away from that pretty well by focusing on the hunter's territorial instincts more than the ancestral duty to Father Wolf to drive the modern hunt.

I'm good with Awakening history in a similar sense to how I'm good with Vampire history, because mages are a bunch of nosy assholes burying and uncovering secrets from each other, so the works of the Pelasgians or the Jnanashakti can still crop up in modern day adventures, or even the Omphalos stones from the time of the Vinca.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Shrecknet posted:

1) ive never played a combat character in LARP bc I think cWoD is terrible at mass combat (and all combat ends up as mass combat) and i think id hate standing arpund for ten minutes to throw a chop

FWIW the longest running and best oWoD LARP here in Denmark (Rage Across Denmark) fractured because an impatient dicklord broke a girls finger waiting to do his combat action.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Tias posted:

FWIW the longest running and best oWoD LARP here in Denmark (Rage Across Denmark) fractured because an impatient dicklord broke a girls finger waiting to do his combat action.

WTF? Some rear end in a top hat literally broke a woman's finger in real life? In a game?

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Yo so I'm pretty sure I could kill someone if I dropped Beckett's Jyhad journal on them. I'd made jokes about it being a metaplot bible but it's actually as thick as the Bible.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It kind of ballooned, in part, I think, because they stick to the silly handwriting fonts throughout.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

It kind of ballooned, in part, I think, because they stick to the silly handwriting fonts throughout.

Yeah I can see that. Also not being the typical source book size.

It looks fantastic,even though I went with the cheaper POD option and although I have no idea how much of it I'm going to use in game,it does opens with stuff about Carna which I actually do need so hooray!

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

joylessdivision posted:

Yo so I'm pretty sure I could kill someone if I dropped Beckett's Jyhad journal on them. I'd made jokes about it being a metaplot bible but it's actually as thick as the Bible.

To get truly lethal, you need to drop Gutenberg's Beckett's Jyhad journal on them. Check item 8

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Everyone posted:

To get truly lethal, you need to drop Gutenberg's Beckett's Jyhad journal on them. Check item 8

What clan was Gutenberg?

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

It's gotta be Brujah, right? Scholarly nerd who ended up being the key player in an unimaginably huge social, intellectual, and eventually political revolution -- fits them to a T.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
God, whoever did the Tribe Novels editing and layout really hosed up.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

joylessdivision posted:

It was a little tempting to do an F&F on it but I can't imagine most would be interested in geeking out over metaplot buffoonery as I am. That said the Southron Lords are absolutely something I would use in a game set in the Southeast US and I don't particularly recall any section that was bad (Birmingham, Alabama being the gateway city/hub for Schismatic Assamites was also neat).

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

It was a little tempting to do an F&F on it but I can't imagine most would be interested in geeking out over metaplot buffoonery as I am. That said the Southron Lords are absolutely something I would use in a game set in the Southeast US and I don't particularly recall any section that was bad (Birmingham, Alabama being the gateway city/hub for Schismatic Assamites was also neat).

That sounds pretty cool. And I would have been the one person who would have enjoyed that F&F, I love the idea of the OWoD metaplot, I'm just too lazy to go through all the different books to piece together the plot.

Hence Beckett's Jyhad Phone Book.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Story is what I like in F&Fs unless the mechanics are completely ridiculous. (See the sample game for Abandon All Hope statting all monsters without any health so they all keel over and die upon showing up.)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I absolutely want to see an F&F of Beckett.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

I absolutely want to see an F&F of Beckett.

I don't know that I have the proper knowledge or the sanity to attempt such an endevor but :shrug: maybe I'll take a stab at it.

All I know about Beckett is he's Gangrel Indiana Jones and hangs out with Caine in the Gehenna novel because gently caress it why not and he apparently wrote this door stop I now own.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I mean, probably nobody could catch it all, but if you tell what you see other people will chime in.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

I mean, probably nobody could catch it all, but if you tell what you see other people will chime in.

Well, I've got about 4 hours of game session audio to cut together this weekend before I launch the podcast version of my V5 game, so after I've wrapped up that I'll start reading and making notes.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I've never done Kickstarter before. How do I know when the next WoD Kickstarter will be up? Mummy has totally surpassed its goal and somebody on Reddit said Cults of the Blood Gods will be going up on KS as soon as Mummy is done.

I wanna make sure to support that.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

NikkolasKing posted:

So I've never done Kickstarter before. How do I know when the next WoD Kickstarter will be up? Mummy has totally surpassed its goal and somebody on Reddit said Cults of the Blood Gods will be going up on KS as soon as Mummy is done.

I wanna make sure to support that.

You just create an account and look for news that the project is up, then back it. It's pretty straightforward.

MoonKnight
Jul 14, 2018

Shrecknet posted:

Lure of flame ignites hands, then standard melee in every round. It's not a mental power.

Right, I forgot Lure 1 turns hands into fire. So three Agg brawl attacks each round.

Still pretty powerful. I assume they houseruled Celerity to give 1 action per each dot, rather than one for Rapidity and one for Fleetness?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Who knows what page number in Mage they talk about building mysteries? The section that goes into opacity (?) And how many successes you need to break through a later to reveal information? I forgot my tablet, so when I go to the bar to work in things tonight I have to use my phone and gently caress searching for anything in a PDF on the phone.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Soonmot posted:

Who knows what page number in Mage they talk about building mysteries? The section that goes into opacity (?) And how many successes you need to break through a later to reveal information? I forgot my tablet, so when I go to the bar to work in things tonight I have to use my phone and gently caress searching for anything in a PDF on the phone.

It's in the section on Mage Sight, around page 90.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Soonmot posted:

p293 is for building mysteries. Mage sight and opacity are on p92. Have fun building scenes.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I keep wishing they'd get into ePub instead of doing those weird little phone PDFs.

Meanwhile, I just turned my Exalted bestiary money into some print copies of Awakening 2e and Signs of Sorcery, and they look really nice. The color paper with fairly sparing use of color looks way better than I had expected.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Thank you, that's why I couldn't find it, I was looking at mystery, not mage sight!

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

I keep wishing they'd get into ePub instead of doing those weird little phone PDFs.

Meanwhile, I just turned my Exalted bestiary money into some print copies of Awakening 2e and Signs of Sorcery, and they look really nice. The color paper with fairly sparing use of color looks way better than I had expected.

The quality on the POD books is pretty good, but I shell out the few extra dollars for the better printing. Just have to remember how to break in the spines because they're always super stiff when I get them. Signs of Sorcery is a nice sized book with good density of information. I'm looking forward to integrating it into my game.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Just shelled out for M20 as a gift, so I'm thinking a lot about those spines. (I went ahead and got my friend a copy of MAw too just in case.)

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Does the weaver have its own version of Fomori?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Does the weaver have its own version of Fomori?

Drones. And to skip to the next logical question, the Wyld version are Gorgons, and Kami are basically that for Gaia. They are all, to some degree, basically the same thing. Kami have more free will, they all tend towards certain abilities, but it's the same basic idea: They are joined with a spirit of a force and dedicate their existence to the defense of that force.

e: They are all rarer than Fomori, but generally more powerful than the average Fomor because of it. They are far more deliberate and cared for than the average Fomor, whereas the Wyrm doesn't give a poo poo if some dude just has acid spewing pustules and dies in a few days.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Nov 26, 2019

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Hah, cool. I knew about Kami, but I thought those were both Gaia's AND the Wyld's.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Finally picked up the V:TM v5 core rulebook, after not having read or played any VTM (or any WoD product) since...2004 or so?

This is surprisingly good. I'm really sad to hear about the awful poo poo that tainted the Camarilla and Anarch sourcebooks, because that seemed neat. And I wanted to hear more about the Sabbat.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Arcturas posted:

Finally picked up the V:TM v5 core rulebook, after not having read or played any VTM (or any WoD product) since...2004 or so?

This is surprisingly good. I'm really sad to hear about the awful poo poo that tainted the Camarilla and Anarch sourcebooks, because that seemed neat. And I wanted to hear more about the Sabbat.

I was surprised by how much of the mechanical side of things I liked once I got past the awful prose. Stuff like the hunger dice and rouse checks seem like great innovations, ways to tamp down on the "blood superhero" feeling the older versions sometimes got. Similarly, while I don't really love the sometimes-nonsensical path the setting/lore took to get where it is now, I have to say I don't really mind the current state of affairs for the setting (international hate crimes excepted).

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Hunger dice feel honestly contrived to enforce a particular style of play hard and the fact that being better at something makes you more likely to frenzy no matter what that thing is is honestly, just no.

Oh you botched the hunger die at a violin recital? Sorry this somehow makes you frenzy.

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice
Hunger dice do a great job of making the fact that you are a vampire always present. Using their results in ways that aren’t akin to a teenager declaring that a 1 in D&D means you stab yourself isn’t difficult.

I’m stealing hunger dice for the WtA game I’m playing in soon. Rage seems even more appropriate for this mechanic.

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Agnosticnixie posted:

Hunger dice feel honestly contrived to enforce a particular style of play hard and the fact that being better at something makes you more likely to frenzy no matter what that thing is is honestly, just no.

Oh you botched the hunger die at a violin recital? Sorry this somehow makes you frenzy.

This is where I am after having played in a V5 campaign every week for the last 6 months or so. I've become less and less positive on the system the more time I've spent with it. I adore the people I play with and our ST, but I don't think I'd play in another V5 game again if that's what they wanted to do.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Not having played it, I can absolutely see hunger dice dragging things down. I like the idea that hungers always there, but maybe there’s a middle ground? Or a way to home brew hunger to be more than a thing you worry about once every 5-6 sessions, and instead something you address maybe once a session? But not in a way that always screws up the game.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Bring back Shadowguiding. At least that way the Beast puts you at the cruel whims of another player and not just random chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Hah, cool. I knew about Kami, but I thought those were both Gaia's AND the Wyld's.

Nope, Kami are created by Gaia and tend to be the weakest of the 3, but also given more free will to pursue their directives. Gorgons are never created from people, always from animals or plants, and the existence of a Gorgon is a huge sign to werewolves that "Hey we should probably fix what's causing the Wyld to make gorgons before they start attacking cities."