Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

spwrozek posted:

Man if you were in Kzoo bittersweet is a bunch better than timber ridge. And really anything in northern Michigan is better than down south.

lol

I learned at Cannonsburg

Absolutely anything else in the state was better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Bilirubin posted:

lol

I learned at Cannonsburg

Absolutely anything else in the state was better

Haha yeah the skiing at cannonsburg... Not good. I always enjoyed the mountain bike trails though.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Whistler's average monthly snowfall in November is 2.5m

So far this month we've gotten 9cm, with absolutely no precipitation in the forecast.

I got to Sun Peaks only to find out that my team decided to cancel the trip and stay at Pano for longer, so I'm not skiing and it sucks. There is a race on the 20th that I'm going to do though despite having had exactly zero days on snow since June because yolo.

Bob Ross Nuke Test
Jul 12, 2016

by Games Forum
Whistler has a further 16cm in the forecast, but then it's gonna go to +5 and raining in the alpine immediately afterwards LOL. They aren't opening by the 30th, they can't even make snow in these conditions.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

This thread used to excite me and put me in a good mood, haha. We gotta have some positive snow thoughts.

Bob Ross Nuke Test
Jul 12, 2016

by Games Forum
Nope

Bob Ross Nuke Test fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jul 21, 2022

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Here you go, something good. From last weekend but still good

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Aspen is putting DPS phantom 2.0 on all their rentals this year. I only know one person who had it but it was the 1.0 and it did not turn out well.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

THE BEATWEAVER posted:

Whistler has a further 16cm in the forecast, but then it's gonna go to +5 and raining in the alpine immediately afterwards LOL. They aren't opening by the 30th, they can't even make snow in these conditions.

The 16cm was supposed to be on Saturday night. It warmed up and all fell as rain, replacing the 10cm or so of snow that had fallen the day before.

https://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Whistler-Blackcomb/6day/top

There is literally zero precip forecasted until the 23rd, and yeah it's going to be too warm to make snow (snow-forecast has no idea what the temps are going to be in Whistler for some reason, it's going to be an inversion so super warm this week)

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

spwrozek posted:

Aspen is putting DPS phantom 2.0 on all their rentals this year. I only know one person who had it but it was the 1.0 and it did not turn out well.
I mean it's got to be better than normal rental ski wax jobs I guess.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

HookShot posted:

I mean it's got to be better than normal rental ski wax jobs I guess.

Yeah, I hear it works but I use plant based wax these days so who knows.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I had Phantom DPS applied to my favorite pair of skis and my sons skis. Will give a trip report on how it works out. I was insanely bad about getting my skis waxed so I anticipate it being better than for me, but perhaps not great for the normal folks. They also said that the DPS only takes it to like 80% of a good wax... Like you can ski em forever and they won't get worse than that, but you can still get a little more out of them with proper waxing.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

spwrozek posted:

Here's the article from the other day:

https://www.aspentimes.com/news/aspen-skiing-co-among-those-saying-goodbye-to-ski-wax-hello-to-phantom/

Aspen Skiing Company is one of the best operators in the industry and they did pretty thorough testing before deciding to put Phantom on their entire rental fleet.

ironlung fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Nov 18, 2019

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

ironlung posted:

Here's the article from the other day:

https://www.aspentimes.com/news/aspen-skiing-co-among-those-saying-goodbye-to-ski-wax-hello-to-phantom/

Aspen Skiing Company is one of the best operators in the industry and they did pretty thorough testing before deciding to put Phantom on their entire rental fleet.

I hear they really worked out the kinks with 2.0. I am sure it will be good for them and their business.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
My little "home" mountain in MA (Jiminy Peak) opened for the season on Saturday, actually looked like they had a decent amount of coverage and trails opened. I won't be able to get out for a couple weeks but it's happening!

Bob Ross Nuke Test
Jul 12, 2016

by Games Forum
Rentals are poo poo anyways I doubt any performance loss is going to be noticed by renters VS the labour cost savings on waxing 10,000 skiis twice a year.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Can anyone please point me towards good instructions for ski servicing? I feel like I should be doing it myself now I live out here.

The resort here is opening this weekend, I can't wait. We have quite a bit of snow.
https://www.valdanniviers.ch/en/webcam-73.html

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Jake Burton passed of cancer last night. He is definitely one of the reasons we have snowboarding today.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
RIP.

I skied yesterday. Nothing like doing back-to-back slalom races on your first day on snow, with no time to warm up (first run started 45 minutes after the chair opened). It went... surprisingly well, for how unprepared I was. I don't think I scored or anything like that, but I finished the second race (DNFed run 2 of the first race).

I forgot how much fun it is to arc slalom turns, and I've gotten way better at skiing on pure ice.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Got in three and a half hours. Bonus for making my last run with a coworker who retired pver a year ago who happened to get paired with me on the lift. Fucker gets to ski five days a week (hates weekend crowds) after having clocked 3k miles on his bike last season. Cool dude so I'm glad to see him doing well.

My old Volkl P40s got some comments. People who owned the model new liked them as well as I do now. Gonna miss 'em when I inevitably blow them up doing something foolhardy.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Butch Cassidy posted:

My old Volkl P40s got some comments. People who owned the model new liked them as well as I do now. Gonna miss 'em when I inevitably blow them up doing something foolhardy.

Hah, good luck. A majority of the people I raced with in high school who were on P40s broke at least one pair in some way or another

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I want snow :smithfrog::ca:

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
We had 18-20 inches called for and got four lol

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Looks like I might be tagging along on a Mammoth trip in a few weeks.

Looks like there’s one lift open right now. And the few trails open are blue and up. And my friends are beginners. And I’m not exactly the best myself. Should be fun :shepface:

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

They got like two inches of snow the other day and have four runs open. When are you going? There's snow in the forecast

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

kiimo posted:

They got like two inches of snow the other day and have four runs open. When are you going? There's snow in the forecast

I'm looking to go to Tahoe and it looks like they're finally predicting an actual storm for next week.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I think 13th. Just never been anywhere early in the season so curious how limited and crowded it’ll be.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

It's finally snowing in Aspen. Skinned up Snowmass yesterday and it's, uh, going to be a bony opening weekend. But if it keeps up, we'll be pretty good

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Yearly patrol WROD death ski skills day at ski brule tomorrow. Supposed to be balmy, should be fun.

We had some great momentum with the snowpack early this month but man did it get gross. Looks like not much chance of consistent freezing temps until December at this point. Ripley has been making snow like mad when it's cold enough so we should easily be able to open on schedule.

XC trails have been more-or-less open for a while but there's too little snow for anything but the rock skis. Really looking forward to some skate.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
:toot:

Mammoth posted:

Snowmaking crews continue to work around the clock with recent cold temperatures and light snowfall. Conditions permitting, we plan to open Main Park, Discovery Chair with access to Sesame Street AND Face Lift Express with access to Saddle Bowl on Saturday, November 23 with additional terrain openings to follow.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

The Glumslinger posted:

I'm looking to go to Tahoe and it looks like they're finally predicting an actual storm for next week.

Unless it's massive, it probably won't do much for immediate conditions or opening new terrain except where there's been snowmaking: there's zero base right now

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Steve French posted:

Unless it's massive, it probably won't do much for immediate conditions or opening new terrain except where there's been snowmaking: there's zero base right now

Yeah, I have zero expectations of it being skiable until late December. I don't even have a trip booked yet, just the vague intention of spending a week up there sometime in January

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Good opening day here in Grimentz. Only a few lifts open, the pistes were skiing nicely and with a bit more coverage the off piste areas should be in business.

Saw a little kid getting picked up by the bloodwagon, it looked like a broken leg. Poor little guy.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Another 3 1/2 hours. And still can't escape work. Ran into one of the bosses and made a couple runs with him. Had to leave early to get stuff done for the coming holiday and fucker rubbed it in that he was staying until close.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Fear not, I am leaving the continent on December 6th for three weeks, so the tap should open up around then in the Sierras.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

bawfuls posted:

Fear not, I am leaving the continent on December 6th for three weeks, so the tap should open up around then in the Sierras.

Everyone thanks you

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

4.5 hours, only one group asked before hotboxing me, another splattered his beer on me, and it was great out. Got to watch a nice yardsale.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Whistler opens Friday, visible snow on the North Shore mountains and at least a week of cold weather...Cypress better be running the snowguns 24/7.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Legit sick powder day in Aspen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Eejit posted:

Legit sick powder day in Aspen

Nice, Pretty good one in Denver minus that one important element....