Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Let’s talk more about that RSQ8. It’s like the RS6 Avant mechanically but twice the price, right?

At least we are moving from traditional two or three box design to one, two, or three triangle design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

stevobob posted:

Yeah, see, this is exactly what I expected them to do. Especially after Elon saying the truck would be able to carry another truck in its bed (now clearly referring to payload) but moreover that he said it'd be a scaled down version of the Semi.

This is a render I took from this article but I expected something more like this, given that it actually does look sorta like a scaled down semi and have a big-rear end cargo area. Imagine a 10 foot box with the same footprint as any other pickup on the road, or an eight or six foot box with that much shorter overall length.

A modern Kei cargo electric mini truck like this would own.

I hate trucks and think they are dumb, but I like CYBERTRUCK thing for its weirdness and maybe that's the point? A truck for people who hate trucks.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Ultimate Mango posted:

Let’s talk more about that RSQ8. It’s like the RS6 Avant mechanically but twice the price, right?

At least we are moving from traditional two or three box design to one, two, or three triangle design.

except it's really only about 30% more and it's bigger

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Fornax Disaster posted:

This is giving me an urge to play Space rear end in a top hat again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcUBI-YVRY8

Red Faction Guerrilla?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Why would a pickup truck even need unbreakable glass? Do people who haul firewood once a year typically get shot at or accidentally chuck a log at the cab while loading up? I mean, obviously Bernie is gonna be president so we can begin true class warfare and all rich people will get shot at while driving to whole foods, but why introduce it with this model specifically?

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

KillHour posted:

Never seen a car like that before. Looks like a uh... Like a big cat of some kind.
What, like a puma?

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

BloodBag posted:

Red Faction Guerrilla?

Yessir. I can't believe that's ten years old now.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Fifty Three posted:

What, like a puma?

Yeah man, there you go.

Secret Machine
Jun 20, 2005

What the Hell?

stevobob posted:

Yeah, see, this is exactly what I expected them to do. Especially after Elon saying the truck would be able to carry another truck in its bed (now clearly referring to payload) but moreover that he said it'd be a scaled down version of the Semi.

This is a render I took from this article but I expected something more like this, given that it actually does look sorta like a scaled down semi and have a big-rear end cargo area. Imagine a 10 foot box with the same footprint as any other pickup on the road, or an eight or six foot box with that much shorter overall length.

That was way more what I was expecting. Easier turning and visibility since they wouldn’t have to waste space on a bonnet. Oh well!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Fifty Three posted:

What, like a puma?

whats the name of that mexican lizard, that eats all the goats?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

That would be the Chupacabra, sir.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Ted Cruz

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

ted cruz is a canadian lizard

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

KillHour posted:

That would be the Chupacabra, sir.

I mean it certainly sucks

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I remember my first time going to Korea way back and seeing them everywhere, love those things.

VW should just make a truck version of the ID Buzz like the Transporter truck

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

https://youtu.be/iVLCkcyN6oc

:allears:

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
Where the hell is the bed on that tesla truck

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

The Tesla truck looks incredibly loving stupid and I hate it. Bollingers are cool as hell though.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I don’t understand why it has to be bulletproof and armored. That just takes away from its carrying capacity.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Mr. Apollo posted:

I don’t understand why it has to be bulletproof and armored. That just takes away from its carrying capacity.

It's what a bunch of nerds think a truck should be.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Ultimate Mango posted:

No, not really. It wouldn’t see which way an RS6 or RS7 went.

In Europe it’s a diesel.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Mr. Apollo posted:

But it’s not. It was marketing BS.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

Mr. Apollo posted:

because it was designed by a rich guy from south africa

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Mr. Apollo posted:

Because it is a cybertruck. You don’t use it to haul hay or work your trade, you use it to outrun clones of your family force-grown by Alphabet Corporation to study your browsing habits, stolen by your eBay-citizen neighbours and turned against you through VR brainwashing so that they can try and steal your wifi. The bed is for two things: the cyberbike and stolen uranium.

All cars are about freedom, but this one is about the kind of freedom you’ll need when it actually comes out

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
Eh I like it. It's different. It also doesn't appear to be brodozer sized which is nice.

I bet two things happen. The design is smoothed out a little for production and buyers slowly warm to it.

But I'm not a truck buyer anytime soon. Maybe one day when we get a camper.

E: the name is dreadful though

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Tesla just saying the quiet part loud which is trucks are largely vanity items and what better match for that than Tesla

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
You're on the mark with the vanity thing. Folks who need trucks for their traditionally intended purpose, if they buy electric, will pick up whatever commercial grade thing GM or Ford is selling or they'll go with Rivian and their whole "modular pickup/delivery van architecture.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Apollo posted:

It's not bulletproof or armored. Just (supposedly) more resistant to impacts. Could be kind of useful if a branch falls on it while camping or something bumps it at a construction site for example. Of course that's assuming it actually works

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

It's not bulletproof or armored. Just (supposedly) more resistant to impacts. Could be kind of useful if a branch falls on it while camping or something bumps it at a construction site for example. Of course that's assuming it actually works

*Narrator’s voice* It doesn’t

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Sten Freak posted:

Eh I like it. It's different. It also doesn't appear to be brodozer sized which is nice.

I bet two things happen. The design is smoothed out a little for production and buyers slowly warm to it.

But I'm not a truck buyer anytime soon. Maybe one day when we get a camper.

E: the name is dreadful though

It’s F150 sized. Nearly 80 inches wide without mirrors. It’s pretty drat big.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

mobby_6kl posted:

Musk said it’s “literally bulletproof”.

quote:

The exterior is made from a newly developed stainless steel alloy, the same metal that's used for SpaceX rockets, Musk said. That alloy enables the car to be "literally bulletproof" against at least smaller firearms, including 9-millimeter handguns, Musk said.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

So really it sounds like it's bulletproof (somewhat) accidentally due to what materials they were going to use anyway. Which is fine.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
It’s probably technically bulletproof if you’re shooting .22 short rifle at it out of a pistol.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

What Tesla revealed last night is clearly a traditional (if incredibly poorly executed) concept car, not a production-ready design. Why are people taking seriously any of the other made-up crap they said about it?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

FBS posted:

What Tesla revealed last night is clearly a traditional (if incredibly poorly executed) concept car, not a production-ready design. Why are people taking seriously any of the other made-up crap they said about it?
Because the button on their website says "order now", not "pre-order' or "sign up for information about a production version"

They talk about it, and take money for it as if it's the production truck.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Mr. Apollo posted:

Musk said it’s “literally bulletproof”.

That body is either extra thick and therefore wasted weight or it's not bulletproof against even 9mm rounds. Or it's not stainless steel. Musk hasn't invented some new heat treat for steel that makes a thin car body panel of it able to stop bullets.

Edit: he does say alloy so maybe?

Again though if he had developed this alloy he could sell it to the DOD for enough to actually justify TSLA's share price.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

tangy yet delightful posted:

That body is either extra thick and therefore wasted weight or it's not bulletproof against even 9mm rounds. Or it's not stainless steel. Musk hasn't invented some new heat treat for steel that makes a thin car body panel of it able to stop bullets.

Edit: he does say alloy so maybe?

Again though if he had developed this alloy he could sell it to the DOD for enough to actually justify TSLA's share price.

I get the feeling it's just cobbled together with leftover sheet metal from SpaceX.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
It'll also run into the same problem Deloreans did where any kind of dent is pretty much impossible to hide short of either painting the whole car or replacing the entire panel

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
This is also a problem with Tesla already where repairs and bodywork are so punishingly expensive that you're afraid to drive it around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

JK Fresco posted:

It'll also run into the same problem Deloreans did where any kind of dent is pretty much impossible to hide short of either painting the whole car or replacing the entire panel
Musk claims it won’t get dents because it’s bulletproof.