Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
The season trailer released months ago still has some images we haven't seen that probably answers some immediate and more long-term questions:

https://i.redd.it/3asbx129n9041.jpg

1)7th Kav/Keene get their hands on Laurie. Remains to be seen if Ozy says something to the effect of "Walter, Dan and Laurie are probably on their way to Antarctica to try and stop me" in that Redford welcome wagon video.
2) Petey finds dead 7th Kav in Wade's bunker, but not Wade?
3)Some type of trial of Veidt for trying to escape w/ pigs!
4) And ahem... yeah. That guy. Still, the fact he doesn't glow concerns me. Seems like something pretty major to leave out if that was ACTUALLY him. Me thinks whatever 7th Kav does brings Manhattan into the ball game since the scene we see of him in the trailers is very reminiscent of Wade's carnival. One fun thing from that shot I missed at first. Check out Dr. Manhattan's cufflinks. I'm basically willing to bet anything that the shot of Manhattan picking up the mask from the trailer is the last shot from Episode 7.

MaoistBanker fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Nov 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

MaoistBanker posted:

The season trailer released months ago still has some images we haven't seen that probably answers some immediate and more long-term questions:

https://imgur.com/gallery/1sRcD

Is this some new Rick Roll an old guy like me doesn't understand?

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

Guy A. Person posted:

Is this some new Rick Roll an old guy like me doesn't understand?

Sorry, literally copied and pasted the wrong window. Fixed. I was having fun celebrating the 5th anniversary of people on Twitter making fun of @fart's shoes..

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

There are some scenes in the preview for next week that indicate we get some answer while angela is tripping. Like, episode one answers

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

MaoistBanker posted:

Sorry, literally copied and pasted the wrong window. Fixed. I was having fun celebrating the 5th anniversary of people on Twitter making fun of @fart's shoes..

Lol thank you for this, I had missed some of the later roasting

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

MaoistBanker posted:

1)7th Kav/Keene get their hands on Laurie. Remains to be seen if Ozy says something to the effect of "Walter, Dan and Laurie are probably on their way to Antarctica to try and stop me" in that Redford welcome wagon video.
2) Petey finds dead 7th Kav in Wade's bunker, but not Wade?
3)Some type of trial of Veidt for trying to escape w/ pigs!
4) And ahem... yeah. That guy. Still, the fact he doesn't glow concerns me. Seems like something pretty major to leave out if that was ACTUALLY him. Me thinks whatever 7th Kav does brings Manhattan into the ball game since the scene we see of him in the trailers is very reminiscent of Wade's carnival. One fun thing from that shot I missed at first. Check out Dr. Manhattan's cufflinks. I'm basically willing to bet anything that the shot of Manhattan picking up the mask from the trailer is the last shot from Episode 7.

On Dr. M, it seem suspicious that he's wearing a suit. Like, why would Dr. M from the end of the comics care to wear a suit anymore? He seemed to only do that when he was trying to keep up some kind of appearance for the benefit of the humans, but unless he's had some kind of huge change of heart it doesn't seem like something he'd bother with anymore. Pretty sure it's not actually him.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

Colonel Whitey posted:

On Dr. M, it seem suspicious that he's wearing a suit. Like, why would Dr. M from the end of the comics care to wear a suit anymore? He seemed to only do that when he was trying to keep up some kind of appearance for the benefit of the humans, but unless he's had some kind of huge change of heart it doesn't seem like something he'd bother with anymore. Pretty sure it's not actually him.

I want to believe otherwise, it just seems like such a dealbreaker to not bring back Manhattan in any form. That's such a dumb Kevin Smith type decision. "Yeah, it's gonna be so bleepin cool we are gonna do Superman except he doesnt actually have any powers how bleepin cool is that..." UNLESS... this is HBO telling Lindelof "Hey, since we are technically bringing people into the fold who have NO loving CLUE what the back story of this is, presenting them with immediate blue dong is a bit much. Can we do the Kennedy-era Manhattan? That being said, this is the same HBO who will allow 5 shots of cock in every episode of Gorgeous Gemstones

MaoistBanker fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Nov 22, 2019

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

MaoistBanker posted:

I want to believe otherwise, it just seems like such a dealbreaker to not bring back Manhattan in any form. That's such a dumb Kevin Smith type decision. "Yeah, it's gonna be so bleepin cool we are gonna do Superman except he doesnt actually have any powers how bleepin cool is that..." UNLESS... this is HBO telling Lindelof "Hey, since we are technically bringing people into the fold who have NO loving CLUE what the back story of this is, presenting them with immediate blue dong is a bit much. Can we do the Kennedy-era Manhattan? That being said, this is the same HBO who will allow 5 shots of cock in every episode of Gorgeous Gemstones

One way to do this would be to have this faux Manhattan in a suit show up and have new viewers be like "really? this is the omnipotent Dr. Manhattan everyone's been going on about? Looks like a dude painted blue in a suit" but he's really just a tool of the 7K or US Government or something. Their dimensional fuckery gave some rando some kind of low level atomic powers but not on the level of Manhattan, and they try to use him to manipulate world politics. Then in like Episode 8 we finally get the Full Dong because he went off to create life, found it underwhelming, and longs for humans again with all their fallibility and wonder.

edit: not really spoilers, just speculation based on trailers

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
Why are we using spoiler tags on conjecture?

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

tarlibone posted:

In case people want to remain unspoiled on stuff from trailers that we haven't seen yet in the show

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Here's a little clip with the author reading Rorschach from the comic-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FS60iN0g2I

Originally reading the comic, I imagined Rorschach's voice to be dull and monotone like the speech quality of a real schizophrenic.

He's a deeply traumatized hobo who kills and maims with minimal justification and while Jackie Earle Haley brought some of that trademark Snyder anger and edge to the character, I always imagined something completely absent of passion and attachment.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

tarlibone posted:

Because people have the tolerance of 7 year-olds.

I was rewatching Episode 3 and I like the cover of Rorschach's Journal is a photo of him in which you can clearly see that the mask is just a mask with eyeholes cut out. You can see his eyes cause that would be loving impossible to see through. Hope you had fun making all those masks, dorks!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

Here's a little clip with the author reading Rorschach from the comic-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FS60iN0g2I

Originally reading the comic, I imagined Rorschach's voice to be dull and monotone like the speech quality of a real schizophrenic.

He's a deeply traumatized hobo who kills and maims with minimal justification and while Jackie Earle Haley brought some of that trademark Snyder anger and edge to the character, I always imagined something completely absent of passion and attachment.

It is funny hearing Rorschach with an English accent.

The motion comic does him pretty monotone and it works really well.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

MaoistBanker posted:

Also, check that first shot: Laurie and the guy in the background both look like they're in pain - their body language looks a lot like Looking Glass's reaction to the psychic shock of the squid.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Zaphod42 posted:

It is funny hearing Rorschach with an English accent.

Also with a backing soundtrack of The Smiths. I can't figure out if that's incredibly on the nose or not

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

JethroMcB posted:

Also, check that first shot: Laurie and the guy in the background both look like they're in pain - their body language looks a lot like Looking Glass's reaction to the psychic shock of the squid.

Is the lady in the wig in shot 5 Ms. Crookshanks?

Why aren't the pigs masked like the ones on earth?

Will fake Manhattan have as monstrous of a dong?

Tune in next week for another exciting episode of Watchmen!

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Well yeah that's the point of that climactic scene. His passion finally comes through, at the very, very end. Because he's human. And Dr. Manhattan isn't.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

cptn_dr posted:

Also with a backing soundtrack of The Smiths. I can't figure out if that's incredibly on the nose or not

Had Morrissey already revealed himself to be a huge far-right turdlord at the time that was recorded?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I wouldn't say Rorshach was passionless, he cared a shitload about his sense of justice and morality. It's just that sense of justice and morality was so alien and warped. You don't tie someone up in a burning house without caring.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

JethroMcB posted:

Nah in the actual trailer you can see hes welding something in the back and it looks like Lauries coming to ftom probably being unconscious.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

AccountSupervisor posted:

Nah in the actual trailer you can see hes welding something in the back and it looks like Lauries coming to ftom probably being unconscious.

Ahhh that's much more logical and way less fun

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Rewatching the first episode again and I notice the kids are naming all the presidents "... Nixon, Ford, Redford."

I can't imagine Watergate happened in this universe so was Nix literally assassinated by the Veidt deepstate or what?

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Bedshaped posted:

Rewatching the first episode again and I notice the kids are naming all the presidents "... Nixon, Ford, Redford."

I can't imagine Watergate happened in this universe so was Nix literally assassinated by the Veidt deepstate or what?

Watergate either happened and no one cared, or it didn't need to happen. Nixon won Vietnam thanks to Dr Manhatten and ended up very popular.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Mike the TV posted:

Watergate either happened and no one cared, or it didn't need to happen. Nixon won Vietnam thanks to Dr Manhatten and ended up very popular.

The Comedian denied killing Woodward and Bernstein, but someone sure did...

(Redford's longevity probably means the CIA is completely politicized to a degree that makes incumbency bulletproof...)

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

Bedshaped posted:

In the comic where Laurie first confronts Eddie Blake about raping her mother there are a bunch of old boys clapping each other on the back and talking about "those two journalists from the Post" who were found dead in a Washington garage and it's heavily implied that the Comedian killed Woodward and Bernstein.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I guess the question is, how did Ford get in there between Nixon and Redford? If no Watergate, no resignation, and in this timeline he can just keep on being re-elected.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I think in the comic book theres some headlines on newspapers talking about nixons health

I'd guess the old man either died or just tapped out after 5 terms or whatever and ford got in the for a smidge lol

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

BigglesSWE posted:

I guess the question is, how did Ford get in there between Nixon and Redford? If no Watergate, no resignation, and in this timeline he can just keep on being re-elected.

Nixon died IRL in 94, with the stress of the office it's pretty safe to assume that being president took a few years off.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

BigglesSWE posted:

I think in the Watchmen timeline Ford ended up his VP somewhere along the line (or always was?) and beat Redford in '88.

E: Ford got in after Nixon died in office.

quote:

Redford’s final film as an actor was Out of Africa. Following the tragedy of 11/2, he ran against Nixon in the 1988 presidential election. He lost. In the aftermath, Redford thought of quitting politics. He lined up several acting and directing projects over the next year and then Nixon died in office. Gerald Ford was easy pickings, so Redford immediately threw his hat back in the ring and rode to victory in ’92.

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Nov 23, 2019

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Thranguy posted:

The Comedian denied killing Woodward and Bernstein, but someone sure did...

(Redford's longevity probably means the CIA is completely politicized to a degree that makes incumbency bulletproof...)

To be honest this is one of the few things I'm not super down for in this sequel series. Redford having the same longevity as Nixon seems kinda... lazy? Like they didn't want to think of who would be President in 2019 in the world of Watchmen so they just kinda went "eh gently caress it it's still Redford."
Or maybe that's just my discomfort with this show's occasional dalliance with bothsidesism.

Hell, in the comic, Robert Redford running in 1988 is the punchline to a joke where the set-up is a guy walking past a newspaper dispenser with the headline R.R. TO RUN IN '88?. Him being a central figure in Veidt's plan is... definitely not as ridiculous as it would have been five years ago, but still a bit silly.

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Nov 23, 2019

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Also I'm not reading any of those spoilers because I know that episode six is the last one that critics received in advance and that it's being hyped to heaven.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Watchmen metaverse is incredibly silly, the transdimensional stuff really brings the series together.

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009
Potentially dumb q. I'm not entirely sure why Keene showed Looking Glass the Veidt recording? Seems like "I'd have to kill Angela and her family" and "No one will believe I'm 7K if you tell them" are two strong enough arguments on their own to force LG into having Angela arrested.

And if showing the recording to LG was meant to "convert" him, why show up and kill him at the end? I suppose Keene may have a lack of trust in LG, but by giving up Angela he is already signaling that he can comply with their wishes. Just seems a little confusing to me and I feel like I'm missing something obvious.

LadyPictureShow posted:

I think in the Watchmen timeline Ford ended up his VP somewhere along the line (or always was?) and beat Redford in '88.

E: Ford got in after Nixon died in office.

This topic got me to read up on IRL Nixon, had no idea about the Spiro Agnew stuff before today. Ford's presidency is truly a thermodynamic miracle.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Jay-V posted:

Potentially dumb q. I'm not entirely sure why Keene showed Looking Glass the Veidt recording? Seems like "I'd have to kill Angela and her family" and "No one will believe I'm 7K if you tell them" are two strong enough arguments on their own to force LG into having Angela arrested.

And if showing the recording to LG was meant to "convert" him, why show up and kill him at the end? I suppose Keene may have a lack of trust in LG, but by giving up Angela he is already signaling that he can comply with their wishes. Just seems a little confusing to me and I feel like I'm missing something obvious.
I don't think the 7K are gonna kill Wade, he's way too important to be killed off screen and that just ain't how TV works. As for why he showed him the recording, I'm assuming they stalked him (maybe using Lube Man???) and created a psychological profile that determined that this dude had his brain broke by 11/2. Wade doesn't seem like the kind of guy you force into doing what you want. His type has to be broken.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

They better not touch a whisker on my dear boy Wade's puppy like face

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I don't think the 7K are gonna kill Wade, he's way too important to be killed off screen and that just ain't how TV works. As for why he showed him the recording, I'm assuming they stalked him (maybe using Lube Man???) and created a psychological profile that determined that this dude had his brain broke by 11/2. Wade doesn't seem like the kind of guy you force into doing what you want. His type has to be broken.

Dude also is probably psychic and doesn't know it with a one-way mirror face mask.

Also, judging by the preview, they try to kill him and it doesn't work, tons of dead 7k in the bunker after the ending of the last ep

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Jay-V posted:

This topic got me to read up on IRL Nixon, had no idea about the Spiro Agnew stuff before today. Ford's presidency is truly a thermodynamic miracle.

The thermodynamic miracle in this one is Ford made it into heaven in this universe

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I could totally see the next episode starting by showing a bloody Wade in the middle of a bunch of 7k bodies.

I've seen some people speculate that Wade is like Rorschach where he is only interested in black and white truth, but I'm not totally buying that. I can imagine that he is a big more pragmatic about it. Like he won't abandon Angela when he learns the full story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

they may fail but seems like they TRY to kill him, which also seems inconsistent with "broken" theory -- like if they've broken his will, he should be easy to recruit, idk.