Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Dr. Quarex posted:

Edit: Oh yeah, and the best thing about not using Reddit is occasionally getting to have the conversation where someone asks me why, and I say "because I cannot support a company that tolerated pedophilia and actively cultivates fascism" and I have never had anyone say anything other than "oh, yeah, that makes sense"

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kater
Nov 16, 2010

How long does it take to play through Fall Harbor? I want my disk space back but I guess it'd be a waste to not at least try that poo poo out.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
About 10-15 hours, give or take a few depending on side activities.
Absolutely bring Nick with you.

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl
Also worth it for some of the weapons and armor.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Always fun entering the DLC areas with basic armor and a lower-quality weapon so you can trade up in both using the DLC's new toys instead of steamrolling everything with your endgame equipment

Unless you like steamrolling over everything, in which case, go nuts

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Vinylshadow posted:

Always fun entering the DLC areas with basic armor and a lower-quality weapon so you can trade up in both using the DLC's new toys instead of steamrolling everything with your endgame equipment

i agree, dead money was great

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Rinkles posted:

i agree, dead money was great

I meant voluntarily, but fair enough

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Vinylshadow posted:

I meant voluntarily, but fair enough

you aren't forced into dead money and it autosaves before you enter, git gud

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

you aren't forced into dead money and it autosaves before you enter, git gud

Courier just glitches under the map, flips Elijah the bird, then carries out dozens of gold bars in a piece of giblets while cackling like a loon

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

kater posted:

Far Harbor
  • Bring Nick.
  • Most of the side quests are mechanically dull but very flavorful.
  • When you're in The Matrix, (you'll know what I mean) only the first three levels are needed to advance the plot.
  • Radium Rifles are great, especially with the right perks.
  • If you're the heavy weapons type, buy Admiral's Friend from one of the merchants.
  • Search the bowling alley for a dumb but fun weapon.
  • There's a side quest that's a murder mystery in a vault. It's very well done, but it can bug out, so make incremental savegames.
  • Rumor has it that they copied that quest from a New Vegas mod. Stay classy, Bethesda.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
Lmao so the most recent update was a bunch of bug fixes, but it left out a poo poo ton of bugs, some of which have been around since the starting days of the game, some of which were added as the game was updated (lol). So in today’s Inside the Vault, Bethesda addressed the disappointment from the most recent update.

Here’s an excerpt from that post, where Bethesda actually gets the legendary effect wrong:

It’s +250 Damage Resistance while reloading, not aiming lol. It’s almost like no one at Bethesda plays this game.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

i flunked out posted:

It’s +250 Damage Resistance while reloading, not aiming lol. It’s almost like no one at Bethesda plays this game.

I don't know, that sounds like the most Bethesda bug you can get

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
You don't kill bugs, you just rehome them.

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl

i flunked out posted:

Think one of the issues is that their support staff that gets the reports is some 3rd party outsourced gig. So even if bethesda has folks playing it, their stupid clusterfuck trail of communications probably gets all kinds of bug report info mixed up. Bet some morons with business degrees thought it would be a great idea.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Xik posted:

You don't kill bugs, you just rehome them.
In hell?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Anyone ever play NV without at least 50 in repair? Outside pacifist characters, anyway.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Anyone ever play NV without at least 50 in repair? Outside pacifist characters, anyway.

No

Next question

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"
Calling it now: Bethesda is going to charge people for Wastelanders and it'll be something absolutely absurd like $35.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
People would probably buy it. I've been wondering how far Bethesda could push the Fallout 1st members before they start cancelling their subscriptions en masse, and tbh, as long as they gave those people like 10$ off on wastelanders, I think they'd still have them hooked.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

i flunked out posted:

People would probably buy it. I've been wondering how far Bethesda could push the Fallout 1st members before they start cancelling their subscriptions en masse, and tbh, as long as they gave those people like 10$ off on wastelanders, I think they'd still have them hooked.

Yet another insidious vault experiment.

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl
What i want Bethesda to do for fo76 is add companions. Not talking about boring rear end human NPCs, nope nope nope, but dogs. Side quest to unlock your very own appalachian doggo. Hell, cut-and-paste the fo4 dogmeat even.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Kalessin ofSelidor posted:

What i want Bethesda to do for fo76 is add companions. Not talking about boring rear end human NPCs, nope nope nope, but dogs. Side quest to unlock your very own appalachian doggo. Hell, cut-and-paste the fo4 dogmeat even.

25US$ per companion, 50 US£ for the elite companions, 150 US$ for the NCR Ranger companion, 250 US$ to unlock romance options*.

*Including dogs, robots, radroaches and cliff racers.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

RagnarokZ posted:

and cliff racers.

NO, they've hosed everyone hard enough already.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Rinkles posted:

I sometimes play with a "use a weapon until it breaks/wears thin then find a new one to replace it instead of repairing it" mentality

Repair tends to hover around 25-30 for most of the game

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Vinylshadow posted:

I sometimes play with a "use a weapon until it breaks/wears thin then find a new one to replace it instead of repairing it" mentality

A Breath of the Wild New Vegas playthrough might be kind of fun.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Vinylshadow posted:

Repair is such a nice skill though... 70 and you get a perk to unlock all the bullet recipes and 90 lets you nab Jury Rig, which is such a boon for repairing guns, clothes and armour. You CAN make do without those but they make life a ton easier. My main tags (barring gimmick) are usually lock pick and science as I hate leaving a lock or door unopened

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
50 Repair lets you make Weapon Repair Kits. Once you memorize the ingredients, you'll start finding them everywhere.

Also keep in mind that you get 100% weapon effectiveness at 75+% repair.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
It's kind of interesting how repair was so good and useful right out the gate in Fallout 3 + NV despite the equivalent "armorer" skill in Morrowind/Oblivion being total rear end and waste of time to develop.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

being able to craft ap rounds for the all-american turns it into a railgun that hates life

worth the points.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Chomp8645 posted:

It's kind of interesting how repair was so good and useful right out the gate in Fallout 3 + NV despite the equivalent "armorer" skill in Morrowind/Oblivion being total rear end and waste of time to develop.

Buying repair hammers from a store is not as engaging as scavenging for spare copies/specific junk/making kits(from junk).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

I brought it up not because repair is useful but because it's almost indispensable.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

upgunned shitpost posted:

being able to craft ap rounds for the all-american turns it into a railgun that hates life

worth the points.

too bad you can't in the base game. :(

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

What skills you develop depends on your playstyle, especially if you're roleplaying

Although I'm guessing playing low INT/high speech doesn't really work?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Vinylshadow posted:

What skills you develop depends on your playstyle, especially if you're roleplaying

Although I'm guessing playing low INT/high speech doesn't really work?

It does in earlier games where being a charismatic dummy just means you pass a lot of speech checks and don’t do well with skill points and science / intelligence checks

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
So I was doing a search to find out if the Van Buren design document ever mentioned psykers and I found myself on NMA. Why I didn't just click away I don't know, but I ended up reading through most of a thread. I just don't understand these people. It's been 20 years since 2 came out but someone mentioning that Fallout 3 implied that molerats were genetically engineered bioweapons was enough cause them to gnash their teeth and rend their garments for like 5 pages straight.

Bethesda ruin everything! The only reason they would write that is if they hate Fallout and want to destroy it!

And I'm sitting there thinking, "Didn't the original Fallouts feature the government greenlighting not one but two different genetically engineered shock troop programs? One producing ten foot tall murder lizards with foot long claws and the other producing bulletproof eusocial land squids with no eyes but lots of teeth?"

The molerat thing by contrast required comparatively little genetic modifications, had a clearly defined mission plan (gently caress up underground infrastructure and farmland) and included a chemical killswitch to keep them under control. Why is the latter offensive?

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Nov 24, 2019

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

7c Nickel posted:

Why is the latter offensive?
:iiam:

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
The answer is literally groupthink plus the "no true Scotsman" fallacy. Whatever they initially decided Fallout was is the only thing Fallout will ever be.

I have the tiniest bit of sympathy for people who do not like the tonal shift between 2 and 3, but the tonal shift (albeit obviously not the perspective shift) between 1 and 2 was debatably bigger, and good luck finding many people willing to acknowledge that. A radscorpion playing chess with you in Fallout 4 would have been a perpetually-memed Todd Howard ridicule point, but being in Fallout 2 meant it was cool and innovative and fun

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Goddamn I want Fallout 2 remastered.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Dr. Quarex posted:

The answer is literally groupthink plus the "no true Scotsman" fallacy. Whatever they initially decided Fallout was is the only thing Fallout will ever be.

I have the tiniest bit of sympathy for people who do not like the tonal shift between 2 and 3, but the tonal shift (albeit obviously not the perspective shift) between 1 and 2 was debatably bigger, and good luck finding many people willing to acknowledge that. A radscorpion playing chess with you in Fallout 4 would have been a perpetually-memed Todd Howard ridicule point, but being in Fallout 2 meant it was cool and innovative and fun

You had a lot of NMAers complaining about that too.

But reducing the changes between 2 and 3 to a "tonal shift" would be kinda disingenuous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Hexyflexy posted:

NO, they've hosed everyone hard enough already.

30 US$ to disable Cliff Racers.