Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Fooma posted:

Looking for a recommendation for a mecha + magic anime. Like where the mecha themselves are wizards or use magic instead of rockets.

I’ve watched Scrapped Princess and more on point, Wizard Barristers, and looking for things more in that style. Wizard Barristers was great in theme but not story or style.

I have the major streaming devices available but I’m thinking this will lead to more of the obscure stuff.

Granbelm from last season fits this to a tee. There's also knights & magic from a few years back but it's not good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Fooma posted:

Looking for a recommendation for a mecha + magic anime. Like where the mecha themselves are wizards or use magic instead of rockets.

I’ve watched Scrapped Princess and more on point, Wizard Barristers, and looking for things more in that style. Wizard Barristers was great in theme but not story or style.

I have the major streaming devices available but I’m thinking this will lead to more of the obscure stuff.

Would Escaflowne count?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Fooma posted:

Seconding Granbelm,

also Diebuster sort of fits the bill with a lot of the theming and the really advanced sci-fi/esper powers essentially being magic anyways.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

diebuster is not something you should watch without seeing its predecessor gunbuster first, and gunbuster does not fulfill the magic requirement. That said they're 6 episodes each and both very good so...

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

warhammer 40k

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Fooma posted:

magic knight rayearth?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Fooma posted:

If we're counting Scrapped Princess - might be worth trying Coffin Princess Chaika if you haven't already? Comes from the same author IIRC.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Fooma posted:

Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still has nominally technology-based robots, but most of the cast has magic superpowers, including at least one literal wizard.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Bongo Bill posted:

Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still has nominally technology-based robots, but most of the cast has magic superpowers, including at least one literal wizard.

This is a good rec too.

Droyer posted:

diebuster is not something you should watch without seeing its predecessor gunbuster first, and gunbuster does not fulfill the magic requirement. That said they're 6 episodes each and both very good so...

I do agree that watching gunbuster first improves the experience, especially the finale, and I would really reccomend doing so, but I figured that it was worth bringing up. Also a bunch of the buster units/topless stuff is practically thematically coded as magic buster unit Dix-Neuf coming out of the shadows, being shaped like a broom, Tycho and the black cat in ep 1, the fact that this wonderous, childlike ability disappears as the topless get older, etc.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Srice posted:

I've watched some of the older anime series and the first movie. It's neat. What I watched had a different taste than what I've seen of Conan (tho heck, both are good) since there's more of an emphasis on how a murder can mentally affect the friends/family of the victim, how messed up it is that there is even a murder mystery to solve, etc. Not to say that it doesn't want the audience to play along with the mystery, mind you. It's a pretty solid choice if that's the kind of murder mystery you want.

Ya nice to hear, I am reading the manga though and it's pretty good thus far. Solid art, the pacing is good and the set up for the murder mysteries are very Clue like, bunch of people with different motives locked in a small place. There also doesn't seem to be complete leaps of logic to figure out the culprit like Sherlock Holmes or even Detective Conan. I think the main difference is Detective Conan seems to be about other crimes as well and not just murder.

Ibblebibble posted:

Whilst I'm not reading/watching any of the books/film adaptations, someone is LPing and translating one of the JP-only video games made by From Software, of all the developers.

LP starts here, if you're interested.

Oh wow that is crazy, I actually love a lot of the old fromsoft ps1-ps2 games. Definitely not what I expected but I will check it out, thanks.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What's the anime where they're fighting giant bugs and it looks real old?

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Turtlicious posted:

There are several(?) Starship Troopers adaptations/OAVs including one fittingly titled Uchuu no Senshi from 1988 which was done in a very 80s style, if that's what you mean.

I'm aware of the existence of Muv-Luv but can't remember if I've ever watched any of it so can't comment on the quality or visual style, but the title would be a place to start if you feel like googling it.

Also if that isn't enough giant bug splattering you could play one of the Earth Defense Force games and just make up your own cheesy dialogue.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Turtlicious posted:

Blue Gender I think?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

Gunbuster?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

This describes a lot of anime frankly

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

mushibugyo

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Turtlicious posted:

mushiuta

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
El Hazard

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Turtlicious posted:

Im also betting this is blue gender

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

I know very little about anime/manga, but I've been starting to watch some animated films such as:

Your Name
I Want to Eat Your Pancreas
A Silent Voice

and enjoying them. I'm looking for similar drama/romance films(possibly TV) like the above. I would prefer to keep the scifi elements to a minimum, but not too picky, just recommend me other broad appeal stuff.

Other than these films the only other anime/manga I've seen has been s1 of One Punch Man which was pretty entertaining but not interested in action/superhero genre right now.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Slider posted:

I know very little about anime/manga, but I've been starting to watch some animated films such as:

Your Name
A Silent Voice

and enjoying them. I'm looking for similar drama/romance films(possibly TV) like the above. I would prefer to keep the scifi elements to a minimum, but not too picky, just recommend me other broad appeal stuff.

Other than these films the only other anime/manga I've seen has been s1 of One Punch Man which was pretty entertaining but not interested in action/superhero genre right now.

If you have Netflix, go watch Violet Evergarden. It's also available on Blu-Ray if you're in Australia or the UK.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It might be Blue Gender? But googling it doesn't really ring any bells.

It would show late at night on Adult Swim.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Blue Gender did air on Adult Swim back in 2003.

Any idea what years you would've seen it?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Liz and the Blue Bird. You don't need to have watched Sound! Euphonium, which it is a spinoff of, but it helps a bit. It's pretty much a fully self-enclosed story.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Slider posted:

Your Name
A Silent Voice

If we are talking about tv shows, I think you might enjoy Kids on the Slope

The Revolutionary Girl Utena movie might scratch your itch as well.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Slider posted:

Your Name
A Silent Voice

100% watch March Comes In Like a Lion. It's an incredible drama about a young professional shogi player who has gone through some poo poo and is trying to figure out his life, and the small family he meets who help him move on. It's really, really good. I don't even like shogi and will still heartily recommend this series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL5nnx4vd7k&hd=1

edit: the first season's OP is real great just in general too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKWqPXkLgzY&hd=1

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Nov 25, 2019

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Slider posted:

Your Name
A Silent Voice

For TV stuff, Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Slider posted:

Your Name
A Silent Voice

Seems like you like a bit of drama/romance elements.

Surprised nobody has recommend Your Lie In April, if you are a fan of classical music that is a plus but the music scenes are animated so well you will enjoy them regardless of your musical preferences.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Slider posted:

Your Name
A Silent Voice

try out more of shinkais movies (the your name director) like 5cm/s, other drama movies might also be up your alley like The Anthem of the Heart, In This Corner of the World, Whisper of the Heart, Tokyo Godfathers, (slight fantasy but also an easy beginner rec) Wolf Children and Night Is Short, Walk on Girl. if you like any of these movies, make sure to check out more of the directors as most i just named have at least 3-4 movies up their sleeve.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Wow thanks all, that should be plenty to get started! I think I've heard of a few of these like Wolf Children and maybe a few others just browsing around.

utamaru
Mar 8, 2008

BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP

Ulio posted:

Surprised nobody has recommend Your Lie In April, if you are a fan of classical music that is a plus but the music scenes are animated so well you will enjoy them regardless of your musical preferences.

Thanks for recommending this, I'm only on ep3 but enjoying it a lot :)

edit: although i will say that the child abuse angle is a bit much..

utamaru fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Nov 26, 2019

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Fooma posted:

Demonbane?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

utamaru posted:

Thanks for recommending this, I'm only on ep3 but enjoying it a lot :)

edit: although i will say that the child abuse angle is a bit much..

I mean it's sort of core to the whole thing so.

utamaru
Mar 8, 2008

BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP

DamnGlitch posted:

I mean it's sort of core to the whole thing so.

Yeah I get that, I guess it's just elements of how it was dealt with that I was uncomfortable with. I binge watched it and while I loved most of it, that one aspect of it felt kind of lacking, in a weird 2019 way maybe? Overall an enjoyable show and made me tear up quite a bit.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LibrarianCroaker posted:

Blue Gender did air on Adult Swim back in 2003.

Any idea what years you would've seen it?

Yeah that maths out right, because I was like 10 when I saw it, and it really freaked me out.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
After watching/reading some of the monstrosity that is Gantz, I kinda want some good horror, and I was thinking some Junji Ito manga, especially since his works are finished and readily available to buy everywhere.

I have *zero* idea where to start and what is good; the only real requirement is that it's well finished a while ago so I can buy it in print in Europe.

I was thinking something like 2-3 stories, this way I can always slap some on a Christmas wishlist. Also some bookstores here seem to have Black Friday deals.

EDIT: Another thing probably worth asking is: which of Ito's stories should I not bother reading until I've gone through all his other, better, stuff?

ufarn fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Nov 29, 2019

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

ufarn posted:

After watching/reading some of the monstrosity that is Gantz, I kinda want some good horror, and I was thinking some Junji Ito manga, especially since his works are finished and readily available to buy everywhere.

I have *zero* idea where to start and what is good; the only real requirement is that it's well finished a while ago so I can buy it in print in Europe.

I was thinking something like 2-3 stories, this way I can always slap some on a Christmas wishlist. Also some bookstores here seem to have Black Friday deals.

EDIT: Another thing probably worth asking is: which of Ito's stories should I not bother reading until I've gone through all his other, better, stuff?

Uzumaki is a classic one to start with. As for avoiding them, I wasn't a fan of Gyo, though it plays on a very specific kind of horror that may or may not be up your alley.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

ufarn posted:

Most of his work is short and self-contained and the "worst" Junji Ito story I've ever read was just that some of his super-brief anthology comics aren't as strikingly weird as others. You basically can't go wrong.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Even his kinda bleh stuff is usually interesting at least.

Seconding read Uzumaki though. Also The Enigma of Amigara Fault if you somehow managed to go your whole life without stumbling on that.

Glagha fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Nov 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Thanks for the answers so far; another thing: are the onomatopoeia/sound words usually translated/transliterated in the English version of Ito's works, and how important is his use of sounds in horror? I hear a lot of people gripe about them rarely being preserved in translations, but Ito's style doesn't seem like something that would rely too much on them.