Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Morpheus posted:

Doing this really made me realize what utter bullshit those games would've been on the arcade, I would've had to absolutely feed dollar after dollar into the drat machines if I had played it, oftentimes all on the same boss.

You're correct.
I've probably paid a total of $75 to play Area 51 at the old ice cream parlor we used to have.

Never beat it, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Gann Jerrod posted:

I always have fun playing an old arcade game like Metal Slug or The Simpsons on consoles all the way through and then calculating how many quarters it would take to beat it. Often it's more than what I paid for the game itself.

I beat The Simpsons as a kid and it took less than four bucks, some of those games are pretty fair. Is a port of the arcade game finally available somewhere?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

they did make a port of The Simpsons back in the PS3 era. Unfortunately, like a lot of those licensed games, it's been delisted for a few years now. Same with Marvel vs. Capcom, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, X-Men, etc.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

food court bailiff posted:

I beat The Simpsons as a kid and it took less than four bucks, some of those games are pretty fair. Is a port of the arcade game finally available somewhere?

There was a good port on PS3 but I don’t think it’s available for purchase anymore.

The Simpsons beat ‘em up was mostly fair but the end boss was an avalanche of nonsense meant to trick you into thinking you were almost there when you were not actually close. I don’t know how much it would’ve cost because I played it on PS3 - the actual arcade machine was far before my time.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

they did make a port of The Simpsons back in the PS3 era. Unfortunately, like a lot of those licensed games, it's been delisted for a few years now. Same with Marvel vs. Capcom, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, X-Men, etc.

I am very bitter about Heritage to the Future and MvC2, and I really regret not buying them when I had the chance.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Morpheus posted:

Doing this really made me realize what utter bullshit those games would've been on the arcade, I would've had to absolutely feed dollar after dollar into the drat machines if I had played it, oftentimes all on the same boss.

My brother and I definitely spent $40 beating The Lost World

Granted we sucked and were bad, but still. Good memories at least.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Good light gun games were the best. My friend and I played Ghost Squad so much we could complete the entire game in a single life.

Though I don’t want to think about how much money we spent before we got to that point.

Also that game’s light gun was a full sized rifle with a working fire selector and actual ‘iron’ sights.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

My personal arcade desideratum was Ocean Hunter. Me and a friend probably put £50+ in over the course of a year to beat that sucker. Would have bought a Wii just to play that game again if it had ever been released.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I've been playing a bunch of Ninja Saviours: Return of the Warriors lately, and during the final battle when Banglar is in his pod shooting lasers at you, whenever he or one of his goons hit you he starts laughing maniacally :allears: Just a fantastic goddamn villain. The whole game is just a fantastic remake, and you can tell they got the old team back to remake it. It feels less like a remake and more like "the game we wanted to make without SNES limitations". The SNES version feels straight up claustrophobic after playing the new one.

Additionally, after beating Hard Mode (which adds more enemies at a time and uses stronger enemies earlier instead of just giving everyone twice as much HP, another little thing I love :unsmith:), you can unlock Raiden, who is so loving huge that they had to change the unit of measurement for him on the character select screen.

Look at this enormous boy, he's basically impossible to play as because he's so unwieldly but he's so loving enormous and you already beat the highest difficulty so go nuts I love this drat game

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Is 'Ninja' a robot or something, how is he 700 kg?

Edit: I demand realism in my ninja fighting games thank you very much.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Morpheus posted:

Looking closely at the sprite, the ninja is silver, has glowing red eyes, and the arms have noticeable seams. So yeah, I'll go with robot.

EDIT: Oh, and on the character select screen, look to the right of the ninja's veil. That's clearly a piston.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I was so happy I picked up the X men arcade game while it was on the PlayStation store. I don’t know that I’d call it a good game, but it got me square in the nostalgia. I do wish it would let you use your powers more.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Morpheus posted:

They're all androids, the plot is that the US President, Banglar, declared martial law so nobody could impeach him for being a gross fascist piss-goblin and built an army of ninjas and martial artists to keep America in check. The only reasonable response was for the resistance, led by Mulk, to build ninja versions of the T-800 to destroy Banglar's army and crush his regime. It's like cyberpunk except also everything is ninjas.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I finished Control and that's probably the best callback joke I've seen.

"Shawshank Redemption! That's the name of the movie I was trying to remember!

...not that it matters now, but it was." :blush:

The Ashtray Maze was also loving awesome.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Danaru posted:

They're all androids, the plot is that the US President, Banglar, declared martial law so nobody could impeach him for being a gross fascist piss-goblin and built an army of ninjas and martial artists to keep America in check. The only reasonable response was for the resistance, led by Mulk, to build ninja versions of the T-800 to destroy Banglar's army and crush his regime. It's like cyberpunk except also everything is ninjas.

An insightful commentary on modern politics in the US tbh.

Samuringa posted:

I finished Control and that's probably the best callback joke I've seen.

"Shawshank Redemption! That's the name of the movie I was trying to remember!

...not that it matters now, but it was." :blush:

The Ashtray Maze was also loving awesome.

Control, for being very middle-of-the-road when it comes to the moment-to-moment gameplay, has some of the most memorable encounters and world building I've seen this year. I'm going remember a lot of that game far after I've forgotten about some of the more bombastic games of 2019.

Also the further I went into it, the more I just wanted to play an tabletop RPG set in its world.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The devs for Noita are very good.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

I'm at about level 55 with a wow classic character and I've gone into blackrock depths (a dungeon) which is a dwarven city and barracks in a volcano. It is a huge place with multiple ways through, definitely the most interesting place I've seen so far.

You start in a prison area and eventually reach an arena - once you enter you are locked in and forced to fight, but get to leave if you win. If you go around the arena and enter from above, you go through the crowd who are hostile towards you, but become neutral if you win the arena.

You can enter the city through the main gates and lots of big fights which is a more direct path to the end, but if you close the gate you can cross along the top as it forms a bridge. Soon you come to a soldiers bar, everyone is friendly to you because they are drunk as hell. The back door is locked and there are several ways in this area alone to get it open, which result in fighting different bosses and enemies. If you start a bar fight everyone goes hostile, then if you hang around for a while security arrive and you can fight them too. Nothing is explained to the player so people figured out different ways through just by trying stuff.

One of the end game raids has its entrance inside the dungeon, so you can come back with 40 people later and plow through blackrock like something from LOTR.

TheMostFrench has a new favorite as of 09:06 on Nov 21, 2019

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
I played a lot of Warcraft back in vanilla (still do sometimes) and BRD was always one of my favorite places. Spire too, upper and lower. They just had a good feel to them, like a proper dungeon crawl adventure. Ogres and orcs and spiders and dragons and dwarves. Good poo poo.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

BRD was a nightmare at release because there were like 27 quests in that zone and everybody was always on a different one from you, ensuring a five-hour clear for every group. The level range was also crazy so depending on where you were the fights could be doable to borderline impossible with an underleved group. It's cool that early WoW instances attempted to be entire zones unto themselves but there's a reason why multi-part dungeons were quickly divvied up into wings following that.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Pokemon Sword and Shield have a big Soccer theme in it (I mean it DOES take place in Britain), when you do gym battles in glorified soccer arenas the crowd cheers. Takes me back to watching Benfica play soccer with my dad :unsmith:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Leal posted:

Pokemon Sword and Shield have a big Soccer theme in it (I mean it DOES take place in Britain), when you do gym battles in glorified soccer arenas the crowd cheers. Takes me back to watching Benfica play soccer with my dad :unsmith:

Sword and Shield is the first time I've felt like a Pokemon region actually feels like its inspiration from head to toe, rather than it just being occasional set dressing for a standard Pokemon game. And it feels like there's so much joy taken in as much of it as they could reach, it's great.

I feel like the only other region that reasonably feels like it could be a real place rather than just 'A Pokemon Region' is, weirdly, Johto from gen 2. The gen 4 remakes gave it a really 'traditional Japanese' vibe, and that combined with its small locations (thanks to being a GBC game) and weirdly specific regional events like the bug-catching contest give it a vibe of rural Japan that I think really works for it. Like these are all just podunk towns with a lot of local history and tradition about them, and it really works. Johto is the Studio Ghibli region.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Leal posted:

During the gym battles you can actually hear the crowd singing and chanting. It's muffled and indistinct but it's there which really helps with the atmosphere.

Cleretic posted:

Sword and Shield is the first time I've felt like a Pokemon region actually feels like its inspiration from head to toe, rather than it just being occasional set dressing for a standard Pokemon game. And it feels like there's so much joy taken in as much of it as they could reach, it's great.

I feel like the only other region that reasonably feels like it could be a real place rather than just 'A Pokemon Region' is, weirdly, Johto from gen 2. The gen 4 remakes gave it a really 'traditional Japanese' vibe, and that combined with its small locations (thanks to being a GBC game) and weirdly specific regional events like the bug-catching contest give it a vibe of rural Japan that I think really works for it. Like these are all just podunk towns with a lot of local history and tradition about them, and it really works. Johto is the Studio Ghibli region.

Yeah for all of the semi-justified complaints that people have about it, Galar actually feels like a AU Britain and thus feels really charming.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

exquisite tea posted:

BRD was a nightmare at release because there were like 27 quests in that zone and everybody was always on a different one from you, ensuring a five-hour clear for every group. The level range was also crazy so depending on where you were the fights could be doable to borderline impossible with an underleved group. It's cool that early WoW instances attempted to be entire zones unto themselves but there's a reason why multi-part dungeons were quickly divvied up into wings following that.

I love BRD, it's like an entire dungeons and dragons campaign in there. Slave pens and soldier barracks, domiciles and bars, forges and banks, gladiator arenas, mines, smiths, engineering sectors, culminating in the grand throneroom, BRD is it's own entire self-supported city unto itself.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
I started playing Shakedown Hawaii and it's like a top-down GTA with very detailed sprites, and a great fluidity as well. Crashing on someone with a car sends them flying in a cartoonish way, and the scenery around you breaks apart as you run over it as well. It generally feels very rewarding, visually, to be destructive as everything gets blown to pieces very satisfyingly.

The titular shakedowns you perform on stores to get protection money are also neat, with the basic breaking shelves apart or getting into fights with the owners, to being sent to an underground dungeon and fighting your way out or invading the personal space of the costumers by taking selfies near them and scaring them away.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Leal posted:

The gym battles are seriously great.

Another neat touch is if you don't press any buttons during a fight the camera will start showing different views.
During gym battles it acts like an in stadium camera by mixing in shots of the cheering audience and one of the views is an actual camera view, like you can see a drone flying around the fight and you'll see what it's recording.

And the cheering and chanting when you get the gym leader down too their final gigantic pokemon is fantastic.

It does a really good job of making the gym battles feel like major sporting events rather than just fights against slightly stronger trainers.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

exquisite tea posted:

Olaf The Stout posted:

I love BRD, it's like an entire dungeons and dragons campaign in there. Slave pens and soldier barracks, domiciles and bars, forges and banks, gladiator arenas, mines, smiths, engineering sectors, culminating in the grand throneroom, BRD is it's own entire self-supported city unto itself.
On a conceptual level I can appreciate the design of BRD (and the follow-ups in BRS), it would be great as a location in a single player or co-op/PnP RPG. You can see that BRD is supposed to be broken up into multiple, seperate dungeon crawls exploring the various parts of the capital city of the evil dwarves, but that is at odds with the way MMOs are played. For the more casual WoW players who didn't raid, BRD covered the last stretch of leveling and the early endgame, but by the time people arrive in MMO "endgames" they don't care about the exploration aspects that make BRD great for long. They want to farm dungeons for XP and loot in an efficient way, and here we have a sprawling hub-like dungeon that spans like 10 levels and could take multiple hours to clear entirely. BRD was fine for the first time through, but afterwards it becomes a chore - especially with new/bad people, in a version of the game where you can't just pull up a dungeon finder to replace someone who had to leave for work halfway through. The "gamified" design of separate, compact dungeon wings the game used for future content is less immersive, sadly, but it's also way more manageable for people who can't spend an entire evening in a single dungeon (and you still might not finish it, or your task).

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just finished replaying Prince of Persia: Sands of Time for the first time in years. Love the Grand Rewind, it's a great moment. Also I like that the combat in those games is more of a puzzle, using the right moves on the right guys sets them up for instant kills via absorbing them with the dagger.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

Samuringa posted:

I started playing Shakedown Hawaii

For visual reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffI40n2UK4c

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity

BioEnchanted posted:

Just finished replaying Prince of Persia: Sands of Time for the first time in years. Love the Grand Rewind, it's a great moment. Also I like that the combat in those games is more of a puzzle, using the right moves on the right guys sets them up for instant kills via absorbing them with the dagger.

Prince of Persia Sands of Time was a great game. I didn't play the second game, but overall the series was pretty neat

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

I need to dig out my PS2 and play it again, it's such a fun game. I'm probably easily entertained but the Prince going "no...that's not what happened..." when you die always makes me smile, like what, he just accidentally said "and then I fell into a pit of spikes" in the middle of telling a story?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like to imagine that when he gets to the part where Farah steals his weapons, he just gets really pissy about it. "And then I fell off a cliff and was unable to rewind time because YOU STOLE MY DAGGER YOU gently caress!" "But you said you came back in time? I haven't done that yet remember..." "Yeah well I can still be mad about it :mad:"

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

I like both Farah and the Prince as characters a lot in that game. They have a great dynamic and I like that the Prince is kind of a posh idiot but fundamentally decent and wants to fix things, while Farah is understandably impatient and annoyed with him for a good chunk of the game.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

While it's dumb and edgy I also enjoy Warrior Within as I like it's relatively freeform level design, in that you can find stuff by backtracking with new swords. Also the fact that some of the concept art chests come with optional fights, like that one that comes with the tutorial for fighting the ninja dominatrices on the beams that suddenly throws two at you at once. It's a lot harder and the physics on some things feel very different in a way that needs getting used to, but it's still a good game. I also like the idea of the Daharka being all "Dude, you hosed with the timeline, did you really think it wouldn't gently caress back?" Also the secret with the water sword is a cool good ending idea.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Yeah the music and character design is incredibly stupid in its over the top edginess, but the gameplay itself is actually really solid I thought.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I also enjoyed (although never beat, got stuck towards the end) Two Thrones. I liked that it did what Shrek 4 later did with reintroducing the Prince to Farah but under different circumstances, so she's been fighting the vizier before he arrives in her life and isn't easily trusting of the prince and being suspicious that he seems to know her. Also I remember the Dark Prince being fun.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Sands of Time was my first real Climb All Over poo poo game and I will forever compare Orrery Puzzles and Climbing The Outside Of A Giant Tower to it, and often find them wanting

PoP 2008 was the only one I didn't finish

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
In Pokemon sword one of my pokemon fell asleep during battle. I forgot all about curing it and set up camp, where it was sleeping on the floor. I called out to it which woke it up and cured the sleep status.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

The Thong Lady (I keep thinking her name was Shaundi but she hasn't been called by name yet so may be misremembering) in Warrior Within is really hard. I always have trouble beating her, especially the early fights. It's a fun boss though, you just need to be careful. I also love that the health upgrades are actually hidden this time as well compared to the Sands of Time. You need to solve a small puzzle and they are hidden in interesting ways like under a small grate or behind a throne.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

The Thong Lady (I keep thinking her name was Shaundi but she hasn't been called by name yet so may be misremembering) in Warrior Within is really hard. I always have trouble beating her, especially the early fights. It's a fun boss though, you just need to be careful. I also love that the health upgrades are actually hidden this time as well compared to the Sands of Time. You need to solve a small puzzle and they are hidden in interesting ways like under a small grate or behind a throne.

Shahdee, I think.

Edit: PoP 2008 was such a disappointment though. Pretty, but incredibly boring.

small ghost has a new favorite as of 22:10 on Nov 23, 2019

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm replaying them as it's been years and I remember very little about them. I do love the Prince trying to posture at the Mysterious Woman/Empress of Time though. "The Empress sees no one." "I am the Prince of Persia. :smug:" It's like, who cares dude? You're not even a king/sultan of Persia or Maharaja, you're just the Harry Windsor of the Persian royal family, loving off to do whatever he wants and getting into trouble as a result. The Empress has never been to Persia, and has no reason to care. It's like he knows he's in a videogame and knows that he's the Title Character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Maybe if he had said "I'm the guy with the magic dagger who broke the timeline" he'd be taken more seriously