Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Sloth Life posted:

I can't help feeling that a portion of the Swinson hate is down to her being a woman. She's no more delusional than Chuka or Rory but there seems additional teeth to the rage at her.

from a couple pages back, but i think that theres somethign to it cause i loving love chuka lmao and i dislike Jo. I think its cause we couldn't guarantee that shes not gonna loving wreck this for labour, I don't think she is anymore, so shes starting to become hilarious like Chuka.

fwiw i think shes not a very likeable person, i think most people have been at school with a person like Jo. but I don't hate her like I hate Bojo, not even remotely close

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

crispix posted:

Oh my goodness i think it might be happening again :laugh:

It is and it's absolutely glorious :flashfap:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
That girl laying all the suffering from austerity at Boris's feet is a loving hero

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Rarity posted:

That girl laying all the suffering from austerity at Boris's feet is a loving hero

you should be live reacting in the discord, we've been enjoying people doing that all night lol

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

CoolCab posted:

you should be live reacting in the discord, we've been enjoying people doing that all night lol

I have been, check the podcast channel

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Jo swinsons pre debate tweet made me cry with laughter

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Communist Thoughts posted:

Jo swinsons pre debate tweet made me cry with laughter

she begged for this debate. she put up loving billboards with "DEBATE ME". this is what she wanted.

e: she LITIGATED for this. like she had a humiliation fetish.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy
Amongst Jo Swinson's many, many other mistakes throughout campaign I find her embrace of the 'girly swot' label to be particularly baffling. The original usage of the term was aimed at Cameron, it had absolutely nothing to do with Swinson or anyone in the Lib Dems at all, and the fact that she's tried to 'reclaim' it at all just comes across as really stilted and weird considering it wasn't even a particularly offensive or memorable remark to begin with.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

CoolCab posted:

she begged for this debate. she put up loving billboards with "DEBATE ME". this is what she wanted.

e: she LITIGATED for this. like she had a humiliation fetish.

https://twitter.com/andrewtipler/status/1196708710401413121?s=20

I'll take "tweets that aged well" for $500 alex

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Checked his mentions and it's all people calling him an idiot because he thought Jo;; did well

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/mynnoj/status/1198035752925515776?s=20

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Oh my goodness. It is all to play for.

We can win.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
gently caress me running

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
I'm loving terrified of doing door knocking but I hassled people to vote on the day last time around so I might do that if I can get the day off

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Saw several requests for re-runs during catch up so be happy that NINPO TV has you covered:

Jeremy Corbyn:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTJorUMnUyY

Nicola Sturgeon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-eNgvFp_SE

Jo Swinson Shot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5h0EukdBIA

Boris Johnson Chaser:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2X84jsn0Jvg

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

LOOK AT THE VIDEO JEREMY

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

So, uh, this was said on Newsnight:

quote:

Boris Johnson is mocking Jeremy Corbyn for saying that he would adopt a neutral stance if there was another referendum on Brexit, but isn't that what a leader should do when it's a really divided country?

to Matt HanCOCK.

The BBC literally just referred to Corbyn as a leader AND supported his Brexit stance. What the gently caress is happening?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

NNPTV is good stuff aye!

Also, listening to Praxcast S01E16, and I'm having 'Nam flashbacks to my year doing the EU in uni. I did very well in that class and know a good deal more than your average person as a result, and I couldn't have told you half the stuff Rob has (I think it's Rob, apologies if it was Jon!) The professor* had been involved in the EU for decades and it rapidly became extremely clear that it is an unfathomable collection of institutions that really would take a lifetime of study to understand. This was back around 2008 so well before any talk of a referendum became serious, but he argued that the current Europe essentially has to be technocratic because there's no reasonable way to have democratic decision-making given the level of information needed to do so well. (He believed in Europe a lot and wanted it reformed.) One particular thing that struck me was how various powers aren't so much devolved as within the competencey of multiple levels of government, from the rareified heights of Brussels that set EU-wide policy down to a county council doing some local stuff with healthcare or education with national and regional governments also involved.

Also fully agreed that a quota system to deal with migrants and refugees both would be eminently able to meet the influx of people (Not that I personally accept there's insurmountable challenges in doing so but), a million refugees arriving in one country could be a problem, but twice as many spread around the 28 according to existing populations and economies wouldn't even be noticed, let alone of significant impact.

* He was also a fierce Welsh nationalist who was mad not only about the Laws in Wales Acts of the 16th century, but also still mad about the Statute of Rhuddlan. That's some pro-tier nationalism.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy

Full on cackling at this in the break room at work. Absolute god-level shitposting

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

"Why does Ruth Smeeth need a bodyguard at Labour conference?"

Mate I could hire a bodyguard to go to Tesco. That doesn't mean I *need* a loving bodyguard to go to Tesco.

Anyway from watching at least a bit of all of those vids, can honestly say that Corbyn is the most confident, convincing and "together" of the lot, and I'm pretty sure I'd think that if I didn't already support Labour.

Swinson was just getting monstered by the audience and not at all convincing in her answers, Boris definitely looks coked up or otherwise just unwell and wasn't doing a good job at all of countering all of the things that the audience rightfully pointed out as shortcomings.

Sturgeon did well too, mind. She's a good speaker and at least sounds like she believes what she's saying (very much unlike Swinson) but she's a bit less personable than Corbyn IMO. Not going into her politics, but in terms of her performance she did do well.

E: BTW thanks Bundy. Difficult to watch from outside of the UK.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

WhatEvil posted:

E: BTW thanks Bundy. Difficult to watch from outside of the UK.

You're very welcome comrade.

Now that I've got the source material, I'll be taking suggestions/requests for clips of the source material for Twitter/Facebook etc.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Swinson's got a really weird accent, like half scottish half absurdly posh southerner.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

Swinson's got a really weird accent, like half scottish half absurdly posh southerner.

That's Bearsden.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I enjoyed the bit around 13:30 where she answers a question about working with other parties by complaining about the labour party.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Bundy posted:

So, uh, this was said on Newsnight:

to Matt HanCOCK.

The BBC literally just referred to Corbyn as a leader AND supported his Brexit stance. What the gently caress is happening?

Conspiracy theory is that the Tories tried to lose in 2017 to make all the Brexit fallout Labour’s fault for a generation, failed, and are trying again now.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
The Ruth Smeeth "watch the video" story is the story the shitrags will be running into the ground this morning, so let's dive in.

Content warning: the only video I could find of the question is embedded within an article by the Standard.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/labour-mp-ruth-smeeth-storms-out-of-antisemitism-report-launch-a3285106.html

The Chakrabarti inquiry produced its report in 2016. The report found that antisemitism and racism were not endemic with Labour but that there was an "occasionally toxic atmosphere" and made recommendations into how the party could improve its tackling of instances of racism. At an event which launched this report, where Corbyn announced that he would immediately implement the report's recommendations, Marc Wadsworth was given the mic for an audience question. In this question he claimed to have seen Smeeth working "hand in hand" with the Telegraph. He then asked a question about representation of ethnic minorities at the event, perhaps understandable as Wadsworth worked with Labour pressure group Black ConneXions at the time. It was this question that saw Smeeth walk out.

After this event Smeeth spoke out against Corbyn for failing to defend her against these remarks, and some time after this Wadsworth was expelled from the party for his remarks at the press event.

I don't have perfect insight into these events as I've only gleamed this information from a number of articles and videos, but as far as I can tell Smeeth is melting to the core of the Earth and calling a member of the jewish faith out on this is obviously antisemitism so what you have is a right loving mess.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
throwback to when harriet harman wore a bullet proof vest while walking around her constituency in 2009

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Beefeater1980 posted:

Conspiracy theory is that the Tories tried to lose in 2017 to make all the Brexit fallout Labour’s fault for a generation, failed, and are trying again now.

I see the appeal of the theory though I don't credit it myself, but at any rate they're going to get a quare gunk if that is the plan, because if Jezza gets in there's a decent shout we'll call the whole sodding thing off, it'll be handled about as sensibly as possible if we do do it, and he'll have four and a half years after that to continue to implement a raft of hugely popular policies.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

So I watched most of the debate though I couldn't sit through all of johnson's bit.

It's a bit less devastating than I'd hoped from the thread but I do think corbyn gave the better showing despite having some... loving morons doing the questioning.

I hope the idea of a restorative position on brexit catches on because it really is the best option anyone's put together.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Short version is I've never met a nice South African

(Not entirely true, the bloke who used to deliver our pizza when I was a teenager was very friendly. For all I know he was a fanatical member of the AWB and was in the UK to solicit funds and arms or something, but...)

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Wonder if the libdems should have learnt from the Tory campaign in 2017; don't make the focus and primary figure of your campaign someone with an abominable voting record, who doesn't know how to read a room, or talk to the average person.

Had to rewatch it again - genuinely can't believe how much she hosed it. Even worse than Farron with the homophobia.

And it was definitely refreshing (and somewhat reassuring) to see the audience not taking Johnson's waffling poo poo, making him uncomfortable as gently caress.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Pesky Splinter posted:

Wonder if the libdems should have learnt from the Tory campaign in 2017; don't make the focus and primary figure of your campaign someone with an abominable voting record, who doesn't know how to read a room, or talk to the average person.

Had to rewatch it again - genuinely can't believe how much she hosed it. Even worse than Farron with the homophobia.

And it was definitely refreshing (and somewhat reassuring) to see the audience not taking Johnson's waffling poo poo, making him uncomfortable as gently caress.

lib dems do not learn

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out
https://twitter.com/JGForsyth/status/1197973644116406272

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Is it just me or as the polling dried up a bit since everyone but Jez started collectively making GBS threads on the floor?

e: Re-Swinson if you completely ignored her politics I don't think there's anything particularly objectionable about her. A bit irritating maybe but she's probably the type of person I'd have gotten on well with at school.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

stev posted:

Is it just me or as the polling dried up a bit since everyone but Jez started collectively making GBS threads on the floor?

e: Re-Swinson if you completely ignored her politics I don't think there's anything particularly objectionable about her. A bit irritating maybe but she's probably the type of person I'd have gotten on well with at school.

Yeah I haven't seen any yougov "who won the debate" poll this time around?

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
if you ignore the part where she'd systematically starve the poor and bring nuclear war on other nations, she's kinda normal yeah.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

a pipe smoking dog posted:

tbf, this isn't a head-to-head, just a Q&A session. Still, it's one that would be convincing to anyone watching - Labour's bet that the more Corbyn appeared on TV, the better he'd look is paying off.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

a pipe smoking dog posted:

While the tempting answer is to think they're ignoring statements they don't want to hear, it's 8AM on a Saturday let the media recover from its hangover and assign some poor intern to do the poll they couldn't do last night because they were out with the uni lads chanting "OOOO JEREMY CORBYN"

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Lady VG pointed out something about last nights question time.

At the end of each segment the only person to head over to Fiona Bruce and shake their hand and thank them was Corbyn.

The others just wandered away.

I do love how much respect he shows people. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Chuka Umana posted:

I would've asked Corbyn how tough he is.

Mr Corbyn, Jo Swinson says she would nuke the Earth. Would you nuke The Sun?

Long pause

No.