Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
I use these all the time and they are absolutely amazing. https://www.amazon.com/3M-WorkTunes...2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Framing guns, OMT, Ramsets, riding mower, compressor (even open the valve full throttle to empty and still nothing)

The literal only downside is they make me sweat if I'm moving around. But the music is crystal clear, you can still hear people talk. They really are something.

Also it looks like they're on sale right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

I use these all the time and they are absolutely amazing. https://www.amazon.com/3M-WorkTunes...2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Framing guns, OMT, Ramsets, riding mower, compressor (even open the valve full throttle to empty and still nothing)

The literal only downside is they make me sweat if I'm moving around. But the music is crystal clear, you can still hear people talk. They really are something.

I should probably pick these up when they're available in the UK.

The ones available here are apparently trash so I went for some bluetooth earbuds to go under normal ones instead, but the ear protectors make the earbuds fall out. Wired earbuds fit better but the cable causes trouble.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

JEEVES420 posted:

I work with headphones in, the music drowns out all the tools :downs:

Original Walkman & earbuds crew reppin. I used earplugs for years though.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
You should wear earpro on top of your earbuds if you're working with tools.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

~Coxy posted:

You should wear earpro on top of your earbuds if you're working with tools.

I tried this but then my supervisor said I was being mean to the other telemarketers.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of earpro does anyone use those pass-through active blocking earmuffs for shop work? I'm thinking of the kind people use while shooting that pass through sounds below a set decibel.

I've considered getting some for garage time but they don't seem like they'd be much different than passive earpro in that situation.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Speaking of earpro does anyone use those pass-through active blocking earmuffs for shop work? I'm thinking of the kind people use while shooting that pass through sounds below a set decibel.

I've considered getting some for garage time but they don't seem like they'd be much different than passive earpro in that situation.

I have tried the TFR-Approved Howard Leight ones and they are great for shooting but AWFUL for shop noise.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Yeah, *electronic* shooting muffs are good for shooting and loud bangs but not shop noise.

Verman fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Nov 20, 2019

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Verman posted:

Yeah, passive shooting muffs are good for shooting and loud bangs but not shop noise.

passive shooting muffs are just muffs with no electronics, your thinking active earpro (electronic) and yeah they don't do so well with hums of machines vs quick db changes. They are adjustable and when turned off work as passive muffs though. So you can tone down the noise while still actively boosting people talking, just not all the way up.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

It's certainly possible that there's some sort of active earpro that has some kind of "human voice" passthrough while blocking all shooting/banging/motors noise, but all the shooting ones I've tried haven't been it.

Also worth noting that the Impact Sports are not very high NRR. A cheap pair of full size muffs is going to be much higher.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
MSA Sordin Pro are very highly regarded for this purpose

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
I don't know why they discontinued them, the the Ryobi tek4 active muffs are awesome. I use them all the time in the shop, and I can hear someone the instant the tool stops spinning. They're hot and a bit heavy, but well worth it IMHO.

SEKCobra posted:

MSA Sordin Pro are very highly regarded for this purpose
For $250, they better be. Anything not crazy-pricey that's available new?

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

sharkytm posted:

I don't know why they discontinued them, the the Ryobi tek4 active muffs are awesome. I use them all the time in the shop, and I can hear someone the instant the tool stops spinning. They're hot and a bit heavy, but well worth it IMHO.

For $250, they better be. Anything not crazy-pricey that's available new?

Not sure if you didn't see this post at the top of the page, but they are definitely not crazy expensive. I decided to buy a set to see if I liked them. I usually use in-ear buds, but the battery life isn't great so if nothing else it would be good to have another bluetooth ear protection option available to me.

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
Earpro also applies to having kids. I am certain I have permanent hearing loss on my right side from my 1 year old shrieking as loud as she possibly could about six inches from my ear.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
I saw them, they're still pretty big compared to the MSAs. I should have been more specific. The WorkTunes are on my list when my Ryobi set dies, as they've got Bluetooth and the Ryobis don't.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I also use the 3M bluetooth headset and they're wonderful. If I'm doing particularly noisy things, like an angle grinder in my metal box of a shop where the noise is just reverberating everywhere, I'll use in ear plugs and the 3m bluetooth over them. Sometimes I catch myself turning the music up to cover the sound of tools that comes through the muffs. Too much music isn't good for your ears either. So I use the in ears to cut down the noise of everything coming in.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Rotten Cookies posted:

I also use the 3M bluetooth headset and they're wonderful. If I'm doing particularly noisy things, like an angle grinder in my metal box of a shop where the noise is just reverberating everywhere, I'll use in ear plugs and the 3m bluetooth over them. Sometimes I catch myself turning the music up to cover the sound of tools that comes through the muffs. Too much music isn't good for your ears either. So I use the in ears to cut down the noise of everything coming in.
What is the battery life like and how long do they take to charge?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Gotta be honest, I don't know. At least 6 hours?

I usually wear them for that long during the work day, put em on the charger when I take lunch, but I know I've forgotten to put them on the charger. On the charger again when I leave for the day.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Rotten Cookies posted:

Too much music isn't good for your ears either.

Too much (good) music is what ears were invented for. You wanna die with perfect hearing, go ahead.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Mr. Mambold posted:

Too much (good) music is what ears were invented for. You wanna die with perfect hearing, go ahead.

Improvements to hearing aids are growing in vast leaps, by the time I need them I fully expect my implants to hear better than I can now :colbert:

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Mr. Mambold posted:

It would have been nice to not face the rest of my life hearing "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeee" but you do you.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

JEEVES420 posted:

Improvements to hearing aids are growing in vast leaps, by the time I need them I fully expect my implants to hear better than I can now :colbert:

Mambold is like 900 years old anyway so don’t worry about him

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

I already have some mild tinnitus from playing loud music with bad bands, and I really hate the ringing in my ears and REALLY don't want it to get any worse.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

stealie72 posted:

It would have been nice to not face the rest of my life hearing "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeee" but you do you.

Yeah, this. Nobody really talked about/typically wore hearing protection in the 90s for things like running equipment. I've got tinnitus from farm and landsacpe work. I'm really careful about my hearing now because I sure as hell don't want this getting any worse. I already have a hard time understanding people talking (especially higher voices) with background noise.

Those 3M cans look great for the price. I ordered a pair to try out. I'll probably end up getting more just so I can leave them with equipment instead of always having to look around for my one good pair if I want to listen to something/need to hear if I get a text/call. (otherwise I just use plugs - the Howard Leight MAX plugs are the bomb)

Motronic fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Nov 21, 2019

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

stealie72 posted:

Dont think about the ringing, dont think about the ringing -me every night trying to fall asleep

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Go do some mushrooms, this mushroom guy said at some point in the podcast that there was research underway to treat tinnitus with mushrooms (among other things).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJ6Ym719urg

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
After seeing them talked about I ordered the 3M WorkTunes Bluetooth deals. For the price they are pretty good at what they do. As noted, they are passive muffs with a Bluetooth receiver and internal speakers. For shooting, I have the Peltor 100, 300, 500, and the non-comm Comtac III. The sound quality from the 500 Bluetooth connection is garbage. I’m not even talking like what you usually consider for music, just listening to podcasts was painful. The first thing I tested was to throw a podcast on, and the WorkTunes have what I’d call acceptable quality.

Since I had upgraded to the Comtacs for shooting, I have been using the 500s for landscaping duty, with the active (environmental) volume turned way down. Workable but not what it was probably intended for. Prior to that I was using AirPods under any of the muffs without any electronics turned on. The WorkTunes ones might be the ticket for non shooting stuff. Believe the cups (but haven’t confirmed) will take the gel upgrades, which is a nice upgrade if you want to throw money at it (they’re expensive and need replacement when they break down and lose their structure).

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

dreesemonkey posted:

Go do some mushrooms, this mushroom guy said at some point in the podcast that there was research underway to treat tinnitus with mushrooms (among other things).
Or you'll discover that tinnitus is the key to some earth shattering revelation, which you will be unable to recall afterwards.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

taqueso posted:

Or you'll discover that tinnitus is the key to some earth shattering revelation, which you will be unable to recall afterwards.

You remember everything...trust me.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
Re: those Howard Leight Impact Pro muffs really don't block a ton of noise on their own. However they work well for double plugging. Regular foamie plugs with those on top turned all the way up amplifies enough to let voices through fine, then gives you plenty of protection when they cut out. Haven't done that with tools, but lots of shooting like that.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I need to dispose of the metal beam from my old garage door opener, this thing is a 10ft long 1/4" steel T channel. What is my cheapest power tool option to chop this thing down? I'm tempted to go with a $20 Hazard Fraught angle grinder but if I'm not sure if that is my best value, Im willing to stretch my budget up to the $40 Bauer with a trigger instead of a slide switch, I am assuming paddles and triggers are better since they are more expensive. Is there a better angle grinder in this price range?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

If you just need to get rid of it, you could list it as scrap on Craigslist, or just leave it at the curb, and I'm sure s rappers would have it gone almost immediately.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I would prefer not to support the local scrappers, if anything I would prefer to just put it in my recycle bin or scrap it myself. Hoping for scrapper to come by might be the smart option but it would waste a perfectly good excuse to buy an angle grinder. That said, I'm not sure what else I would do with the angle grinder except maybe use it to modify old computer cases.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Crotch Fruit posted:

I would prefer not to support the local scrappers, if anything I would prefer to just put it in my recycle bin or scrap it myself.

Okay, that's weird but whatever.

All you need is a hack saw: https://www.amazon.com/CRAFTSMAN-Hand-12-Inch-Hacksaw-CMHT20138/dp/B07R92S9YZ/ref=sr_1_9?keywords=hacksaw&qid=1575003334&sr=8-9

If you want to buy an angle grinder than stop asking permission and just go buy an angle grinder.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Bob Mundon posted:

Re: those Howard Leight Impact Pro muffs really don't block a ton of noise on their own. However they work well for double plugging. Regular foamie plugs with those on top turned all the way up amplifies enough to let voices through fine, then gives you plenty of protection when they cut out. Haven't done that with tools, but lots of shooting like that.

You might be thinking of the Impact Sport (slimline muffs) ?

Impact Sport is NRR22
Impact Pro is NRR31

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

~Coxy posted:

You might be thinking of the Impact Sport (slimline muffs) ?

Impact Sport is NRR22
Impact Pro is NRR31

The impact sports are just plain bad for anything other than trap/skeet and some .22 plinking.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Crotch Fruit posted:

I need to dispose of the metal beam from my old garage door opener, this thing is a 10ft long 1/4" steel T channel. What is my cheapest power tool option to chop this thing down? I'm tempted to go with a $20 Hazard Fraught angle grinder but if I'm not sure if that is my best value, Im willing to stretch my budget up to the $40 Bauer with a trigger instead of a slide switch, I am assuming paddles and triggers are better since they are more expensive. Is there a better angle grinder in this price range?

Or a hackzall which is more all-around useful than a grinder (yard trimming etc).

So Black Friday deals? Anything particularly special?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

asdf32 posted:

Or a hackzall which is more all-around useful than a grinder (yard trimming etc).

So Black Friday deals? Anything particularly special?

There's a good DeWalt portable table saw.
And the Rigid miter saw stand, as usual.
Otherwise, I'm not seeing anything worth chasing.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Anyone have a deal on a 1/2" impact driver? Corded or cordless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
If I pass a home depot today, I may get this set, since I am low on bits. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-SHOCKWAVE-Impact-Duty-Steel-Drill-and-Driver-Bit-Set-145-Piece-48-32-4079/310149301