Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Kobal2 posted:

French Republicans echoed shortly after. Civil Safety had to slowly explain that air-dropping a few thousand tons of water on a fragile building in the heart of a busy city was hella retarded an idea. Using small words.

Dont use retarded like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

poo poo, I missed that. Good catch.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

:v:

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
I think you can still use it when talking about changing the spark advance on your car.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Scratch Monkey posted:

I think you can still use it when talking about changing the spark advance on your car.

Well what else would you say?

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retarder_%28mechanical_engineering%29?wprov=sfla1

quote:

Hydraulic retarders use the viscous drag forces between dynamic and static vanes in a fluid-filled chamber to achieve retardation.

Okay I'll stop now

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Honest related question, where are we on using "sperging"? Cause I let that slip at work today and looked like a total rear end in a top hat for a minute once my boss put two and two together.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

not caring here posted:

Well what else would you say?

Delay?

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
We use "retard" and "retarding" with regard to aircraft throttles at work. Advance or retard the throttles. At least in my maintenance test Flight arena. The active duty dudes use "push" and "drag". I'd prefer that but our lead pilot uses the technical terms from the book and he won't deviate.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

We use "retard" and "retarding" with regard to aircraft throttles at work. Advance or retard the throttles. At least in my maintenance test Flight arena. The active duty dudes use "push" and "drag". I'd prefer that but our lead pilot uses the technical terms from the book and he won't deviate.

Also retarding timing on an engine i.e. advance or retard throttle/engine timing/crank or cam or injection pump timing.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Handsome Ralph posted:

Honest related question, where are we on using "sperging"? Cause I let that slip at work today and looked like a total rear end in a top hat for a minute once my boss put two and two together.

I think it's something we should avoid using.

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747

https://youtu.be/zvVa3W8XiP4

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

My apologies. It's a word that regrettably keeps rolling off my tongue because I find it's viscerality (from a phonetic standpoint) resonates when it comes to describing spectacular idiocy ; and because I'm not American to me it's divorced from the context that makes it problematic, or any "real" connection with disability.

But yeah, sorry.

Kobal2 fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Nov 13, 2019

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
JUST EXERCISING MY FIRST AMENDMENT RIGHTS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87ptc3MVWLk

at 19:50 he's "assaulted" on "public property"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Slim Pickens posted:

....:stare:

Yeah, dude, you are not an authorized pen tester, you have no legal scoping, and your an idiot

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that
I'm probably on my own here but I think it would be better to have a culture where you can say "retard" in a non-derogatory mode than a culture where we subvert the giggling idiots by removing it from the vocabulary. Also, "idiot" would probably follow.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

fart store posted:

I'm probably on my own here but I think it would be better to have a culture where you can say "retard" in a non-derogatory mode than a culture where we subvert the giggling idiots by removing it from the vocabulary. Also, "idiot" would probably follow.

uh huh.

and your thoughts on the n-word?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
People from on the word "retard" being used because people don't use it correctly, and nobody gives a poo poo if you can prove your use was okay.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

uh huh.

and your thoughts on the n-word?

Retarded originally and still means slowed. The N-word serves no purpose other than as a slur in modern language.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
Not slowed, delayed. The pace can be the same but the beats are all collectively a little later. Collective delay.

I think it's a useful word for technical communication and gently caress the people who use it to hurt people.

It's better to correct or fire people who corrupt an earnest culture than to try to make superficial changes to the entire culture in order to hide the corruption

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Here's a JDAM video shut the gently caress up about the r-word

https://www.military.com/video/operations-and-strategy/air-strikes/top-10-jdam-strikes/4330525181001

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

fart store posted:

Not slowed, delayed. The pace can be the same but the beats are all collectively a little later. Collective delay.

I think it's a useful word for technical communication and gently caress the people who use it to hurt people.

It's better to correct or fire people who corrupt an earnest culture than to try to make superficial changes to the entire culture in order to hide the corruption

Here's the thing: I come out and say "use of the word when it's used in its intended format in technical contexts is okay" and I'm going to be deluged by chucklefucks trying to barracks lawyer their way out of being punished for it because they used it in a "technical context."

So don't use it.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Slim Pickens posted:

Hahahahaha, oh my god. I've worked that gate.

It is illegal to record the gate, which is what those guards were trying to tell him, and their jurisdiction doesn't end at the gate. What a complete moron.

Edit: he was recording a bunch of decommissioned tanks and guns that are part of a museum near the beginning, in case anyone was wondering.

A Bad Poster fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Nov 17, 2019

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
I've been told that I'm not doing enough to make people aware, so in the spirit of GIP I'm going to wildly overreact and post this same message in all the active threads.

Another run of Useless Dirt shirts is being put together. Deadline to order is 11:59 PM Eastern time tomorrow.

Info is here

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

McNally posted:

I've been told that I'm not doing enough to make people aware, so in the spirit of GIP I'm going to wildly overreact and post this same message in all the active threads.

Another run of Useless Dirt shirts is being put together. Deadline to order is 11:59 PM Eastern time tomorrow.

Info is here

Man what an offensive thing to wear in public. Like yea, its a poignant criticism in the context of the War on TerrorTM when we discuss it here...but referring to people's homeland as useless dirt while walking around is kinda gross. I know it's got presidents faces on it but its just not enough.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

CarForumPoster posted:

Man what an offensive thing to wear in public. Like yea, its a poignant criticism in the context of the War on TerrorTM when we discuss it here...but referring to people's homeland as useless dirt while walking around is kinda gross. I know it's got presidents faces on it but its just not enough.

You're not wrong.

Should I put you down for two?

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
Found this inside the number 1 engine inlet on the bird I'm about to fly.

:nws:https://i.imgur.com/kNxALlp.jpg:nws:

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Nice

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

A vehicle truly blessed by Priapus.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Mildly Milpic:

I got to do a InfoSec CTF event at ORNL, and went to visit X-10 while I was there.

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

I found a couple photo albums from Desert Storm. I deployed there in November 1990 - May 1991. I was 19 at the time and was supposed to be a what is now MOS 35F. There wasn't much for me to do so I ended up being on various details bouncing around between 7th Corps and 1st Infantry. I worked everything from mail, EPW processing, supply, to casualty assistance (mostly dead Iraqis). Some of these pictures are mine and some aren't, I really don't remember anymore.

Some burnt out Republican Guard tanks

Plane destroyed on the runway at Baghdad Airport

Coming in on a UH-1 to the airport

Oilfield Fires

Highway of Death

19 year old me during a SCUD attack riding in a deuce and a half

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/NuclearAnthro/status/1197046079037960193?s=19

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

One of the MOST LETHAL MILITARIES IN EUROPE BETTER NOT CHALLENGE THEM ON SOCIAL MEDIA

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

I’ve been conditioned to find an Epstein meme in every one of these now

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
https://twitter.com/TheWTFNation/status/1198040542334083073

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

"Hey! It was really really COLD on that tower!" :mad:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
1 billion percent chance that person gets mad about "SJW virtue signaling"

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

"Be humble and never think you are better than anyone else" also here's a ton of garish examples of why I think I am better than everyone else and if you try to say anything about it I will probably try to physically harm you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

This end of the "proud to have served" spectrum is why my car, my clothes, my golf gear, everything, is free of mention of Army service.