Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Avinyl release-aaaaa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
With Teeth is extremely underrated

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

its very good. the initial disappointment was that it wasn't the fragile 2. lmao that people thought a 6 year wait between albums was a long time back then.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

All the love in the world is one of Nine Inch Nails best songs

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

polyester concept posted:

its very good. the initial disappointment was that it wasn't the fragile 2. lmao that people thought a 6 year wait between albums was a long time back then.

Following TDS/The Fragile back-to-backs and sandwiched between The Fragile and Year Zero isn't going to look kindly on anything, but With Teeth rocks

e: Even Getting Smaller whips, that synth drone before the distortion and guitars kick in after the final verse is so NIN it hurts

I, Butthole fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Nov 23, 2019

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

All the love in the world is one of Nine Inch Nails best songs

🤝

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

The thing that sticks out most to me about that album is how hard the drums hit. They rule. Of all the NIN eras, I loved that the most about With Teeth. I don't wish he would go back to his addiction self loathing past, I wish he would just use live drums again instead of a drum machine.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Dave Grohl did drums for seven tracks, according to Wikipedia. I don't know if that had anything to do with that.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

IUG posted:

Dave Grohl did drums for seven tracks, according to Wikipedia. I don't know if that had anything to do with that.

He persuaded them to record a couple of the songs at Sound City.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Head Down on the slip is my favorite underrated nin song and had great drums

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

polyester concept posted:

The thing that sticks out most to me about that album is how hard the drums hit. They rule. Of all the NIN eras, I loved that the most about With Teeth. I don't wish he would go back to his addiction self loathing past, I wish he would just use live drums again instead of a drum machine.

Line Begins to Blur verses are some of my favorite parts on the album. That snare/synth combo is such a satisfying percussion sound.

I'd like Sunspots more if the drums didn't sound so fake. it's not a cool fake drum machine sound it just sounds bad in the choruses.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Donovan Trip posted:

I love songs where the second half just becomes a bizarre jam section, like Head Down and Vessel.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Donovan Trip posted:

I'm literally wearing a Head Down shirt I got from The Slip tour, even though they didn't play the song at my venue. (It's be downgraded to a sleep shirt thanks to my cats liking to claw at some shirts and putting a hole in it.) It's one of my favorite songs from The Slip, and given it wasn't played, I guess it's underrated.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Mierenneuker posted:

I love songs where the second half just becomes a bizarre jam section, like Head Down and Vessel.

poo poo yeah, same

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
With Teeth is better in hindsight because now we know he wasn't going to turn NIN into an arena rock band. He just wanted to do one rock album.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I was doing the decade comparison photo thing on Facebook and one of my friends pulled out an old picture of me from 2008 with my Slip shirt on. Man, I miss that shirt :smith: I think I literally wore it so much that it fell apart.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

Rageaholic posted:

I was doing the decade comparison photo thing on Facebook and one of my friends pulled out an old picture of me from 2008 with my Slip shirt on. Man, I miss that shirt :smith: I think I literally wore it so much that it fell apart.

If you are size small or medium size there are a few on ebay for reasonable prices.

Here

edit: didn't see the dates on the back. There is a small without that but same on front but only small for about $15 here

Fors Yard fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Nov 24, 2019

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Fors Yard posted:

If you are size small or medium size there are a few on ebay for reasonable prices.

Here
Oh hell yeah! I could probably fit into the medium. I think that's what size my other NIN shirts are.

I wonder if I need a 5th NIN shirt, but in this case, yeah, I totally do haha

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i think with teeth was the last album put out where i heard songs from the album get regular radio play until just the last couple years when less than dropped.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The 'weird sound dipping out like you're in a car' is created (usually) by sidechain compression; it's when the volume of one track (the synth drone) is affected by another track (like the fast thumping kick drum) via a compressor. Used a lot in techno (is that even a genre anymore?)

This post is likely useful to no one.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Mierenneuker posted:

The Great Destroyer is easily in my top 5 NIN songs

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The Big Word posted:

The Great Destroyer is easily in my top 5 NIN songs
I've seen it live a couple times and it's just a joy to experience.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFEWntS-dEk

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

I, Butthole posted:

Avinyl release-aaaaa

I am a big boy and I will purchase it all.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I always considered With Teeth an album that had some great songs, but not a great album.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Madkal posted:

I always considered With Teeth an album that had some great songs, but not a great album.

Yeah. This. Same with The Slip (Head Down is the highlight though).

Also, despite what I said, All The Love in the World is the best opening song on any Nine Inch Nails album (right Where it Belongs is in the top 5 closers but it has some stiff competition, so no shame in that)

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://birthmoviesdeath.com/2019/11/25/lets-take-a-look-inside-the-watchmen-vol.-two-soundtrack

Watchmen vol 2 soundtrack has a ton of cool content

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

axelblaze posted:

Yeah. This. Same with The Slip (Head Down is the highlight though).

Also, despite what I said, All The Love in the World is the best opening song on any Nine Inch Nails album (right Where it Belongs is in the top 5 closers but it has some stiff competition, so no shame in that)
Wish is the closest competitor for me but the bass line in Love is ridiculously catchy

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I would buy these if they were for sale anywhere.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
still copies of v 2 and 3 on amazon.ca last I checked

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Volumes 2 and 3 are available on Amazon for preorder(search "watchmen vinyl" and it'll come up). I ordered volume 2 hoping there's no more.ironic racist monologues. I don't care if it's mocking or not, I couldn't stand the idea of listening to that for 2 minutes on a 20 minute side.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Nov 26, 2019

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Nail Rat posted:

Volumes 2 and 3 are available on Amazon for preorder(search "watchmen vinyl" and it'll come up). I ordered volume 2 hoping there's no more.ironic racist monologues. I don't care if it's mocking or not, I couldn't stand the idea of listening to that for 2 minutes on a 20 minute side.

I was more ok with it once I realized that it was a concept album from an in-universe far right band. still kinda ehh and I'll be skipping through it but whatever.

I ordered all 3 vols at once from a local place so need to wait until vol 3 comes out before they ship :(

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

The Walrus posted:

I was more ok with it once I realized that it was a concept album from an in-universe far right band. still kinda ehh and I'll be skipping through it but whatever.

How exactly do you skip on a turntable? Sounds dangerous :ohdear:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Nail Rat posted:

How exactly do you skip on a turntable? Sounds dangerous :ohdear:

You just lift the needle and put it back down after the track. If you look you can see the grooves. It's pretty easy and safe.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/nineinchnails/status/1199455641166696448

:monocle:

I had no idea they were scoring this movie. Hell yeah.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Rageaholic posted:

https://twitter.com/nineinchnails/status/1199455641166696448

:monocle:

I had no idea they were scoring this movie. Hell yeah.
huh

Whenever I see that trailer I secretly hope it’s a surprise biopic of Kevin Randleman

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Volume 2 is out on spotify

Also

Also Waves score has a 22 minute song:dance:

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Nov 27, 2019

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Only one brief spoken word track this time and it has no racism, hooray. I'm pumped to get this one on vinyl.

I still don't understand why anybody ever includes dialogue on a soundtrack. It only serves to detract from the music. If we want the dialogue we can watch the show/movie.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I would love to get instrumental behind Trigger Warning track.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Nail Rat posted:

I still don't understand why anybody ever includes dialogue on a soundtrack. It only serves to detract from the music. If we want the dialogue we can watch the show/movie.

I don't agree.
See: Natural Born Killers soundtrack

Edit: Also Blade Runner, the Vangelis version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
wow, is all this saxophone jazz my man T Rez?? This is loving awesome.