Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

T-Square posted:

Bank just called and said she deposited her last check twice, probably mobile deposited at one bank and then drove over to her other bank and deposited it again there. I'm sure she'll have fun seeing how well that works out for her :thumbsup:

One weird trick banks don't want you to know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

IOwnCalculus posted:

Silverado diesel is a 3.0 I6, Colorado diesel is a 2.8 I4.

Oh, and the Silverado also comes with a 2.7 turbo that Chevy will go to lengths to hide the fact that it is also an I4.

I'd gladly buy any of the new crop of half ton diesels but holy gently caress they are expensive trucks.

If the loving jeep truck were a reg or ex-cab with a longbed I'd already have one. 70 thousand for a diesel jeep is eye-watering. A comparable modern equivalent to the farmtruck is in that same ballpark so eh.

I like the specs of the cybertruck but holy oh gently caress me it looks beyond loving terrible. Way to make a truck with more frontal surface area than my thirty year old bricknose.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

cursedshitbox posted:

If the loving jeep truck were a reg or ex-cab with a longbed I'd already have one. 70 thousand for a diesel jeep is eye-watering.

My wife doesn't want to drive a Gladiator and now that I'm hooked on the tiny overall length of the TJ, I don't want to replace it with one either. (I don't want to replace it, period, if I can avoid it.)

If I had room I'd lobby harder to buy a cheapass beater fullsize to use for Truck Things but right now I can't make an argument that five vehicles is a sane number for two people to own with the room we have.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

STR posted:

Yeah uh, after driving stepdad's 2.7 Ecoboost, I don't see the point unless you're towing (or want the truck to last forever; I don't see a boosted gasser lasting longer than any diesel, sans the Olds 350 diesel). That fucker takes off in a way that a 2+ ton truck has no business doing, and gets pretty drat good mileage.

:whatup:

the 3.5L is really good though.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I remember when my friend got his Ecobost F150 (2013 I think?) whenever he'd show up in our old hometown the wanna-be hicks that never left would constantly poo poo all over him, Weak-o-boost, let's bumper pull I'll show you a real truck, etc. He always was up for it but they were always too scared to actually do that dumb bumper pull poo poo. His trucks still going strong, and it fuckin' moves for something so big too.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

STR posted:

One of the overnight supes at work is about 5'10 and 155. He bitches constantly about not being able to keep any weight on; he doesn't drink caffeine in general (he says he's already hyper enough without it), doesn't do any drugs..

.... and he's 53 years old (but looks 40ish). Dude is a wall of muscle with pretty much 0% fat, you can see his abs through the lovely thin uniform shirts we have. He told me his breakfast is "10 egg whites with 3 egg yolks, a bunch of bacon, and hash browns, every night before work". :stonkheh: Every time I see him eating my jaw drops, he's just inhaling massive amounts of calories. He also drinks quite a bit, though mostly liquor instead of beer.

Manglement has sent him for a couple of :airquote: random :airquote: drug tests (he's been tested more than anybody else in my store, AFAIK), because they swear up and down he's on speed. He and I have talked extensively about our past drug use, all he's ever done is smoke weed and drop acid in his 20s and 30s. Never touched anything else aside from caffeine and alcohol, never smoked cigs.

With that metabolism, speed and caffeine would make him vibrate into the next plane of existence.

Powershift posted:

Insulated running boards.

How far is that barbecue from the siding?

What kills me is that the specs are fantastic, and the pricing is very good given said specs. It's just... that.

Suburban Dad posted:

Getting old sucks and already being in pain, but I feel like if I don't stay active I'm going to be in worse shape later in life.

Go to a doctor, Rhyno. PT and such may help.

Just had a check-up today, and the doc is pretty happy with me.
I've lost 25 pounds over 6 months, and my AIC is 5.5. We're thinking about backing off on the Metformin dose, but I need to go get new strips for my meter so I can check sugar periodically if I do.
I definitely feel better. I will be ecstatic if I can break 265 - that's where I plateaued years ago when I was working out (but still eating like poo poo.) Ideally, I'd like to get off the Beetus meds altogether, but I'm not entirely sure that's possible, even if I get down to, say 215 or so (I'm a big guy even without the blubber.)
This is all via not eating everything in sight, and walking the dog a mile a few times a week, so I'm pretty happy with the progress.

T-Square posted:

Lol, welp, someone quit a couple of weeks ago and I gave her her last check along with a detailed breakdown of what she was paid on, and then she make a stink about me not paying her on several things (which I did, and were all pretty clearly listed on the breakdown she got.)

Bank just called and said she deposited her last check twice, probably mobile deposited at one bank and then drove over to her other bank and deposited it again there. I'm sure she'll have fun seeing how well that works out for her :thumbsup:

... how does she think that's going to work out? Is she not aware that banks can use the internet, too? Fascinating.

STR posted:

You could also get one on the Cruze, but it sold very poorly. I believe the first gens could only be had with the 6 speed automatic and LTZ trim, while a 2nd gen could be had with a 6 speed manual or 9 speed automatic and only on the LT? Not positive on that; there's not a whole lot of info on the USDM diesel Cruze out there.

You could get them in the 2nd gen wagon, which is pretty awesome in my book. But I've only ever seen one diesel Cruze in person, and it was a 1st gen. And I've never seen a 2nd gen wagon.

I love how manufacturers offer a thing, but only on certain models or trim with certain options, and then claim that there was low demand. Also, the dealers don't order any, so you'd have to wait if you do actually want one. Wonder why they don't sell?
Obligatory: dealers suck, and should be abolished.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Oh, and the Silverado also comes with a 2.7 turbo that Chevy will go to lengths to hide the fact that it is also an I4.

I'd gladly buy any of the new crop of half ton diesels but holy gently caress they are expensive trucks.

Ooo, I didn't know about that one. They really should put that in a Colorado, and I want to put one in something interesting. 310 HP/348 lb. ft.!
And yeah, all the major 1/2 ton trucks are pricey. A lot of the smaller ones, too.
I do like the Jeep Gladiator, though it's still a bit expensive.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
LoL, we thought we were getting a bank check.

Fucker paid in $20's. What an rear end in a top hat.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Oh cool, pulled my car into service for a new windshield at 8:00 this morning on an appointment that was scheduled over a week ago.

It is 2:30 and the glass people haven't even showed up yet.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I went to the clinic, they told me to try taking it easy, alternate heat and ice for the weekend. The company just changed providers for our benefits and I took the opportunity to jump to the larger network. New coverage starts in a few weeks so I'll find myself a new GP then.

Go see a physical therapist for awhile, they can teach you all kinds of stretches and tricks to keep you limber before working out. I have a stretch routine I do every day and it definitely helps. I'm also looking into Yoga sessions, apparently it's good for us old people.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Rhyno posted:

LoL, we thought we were getting a bank check.

Fucker paid in $20's. What an rear end in a top hat.

Cool.
Count it out slowly while he waits.
Twice.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Darchangel posted:

Cool.
Count it out slowly while he waits.
Twice.

It's done and done, our rep handled the exchange at her office. I'd have likely punched him for all the lies his family told.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Darchangel posted:

I've lost 25 pounds over 6 months, and my AIC is 5.5. We're thinking about backing off on the Metformin dose, but I need to go get new strips for my meter so I can check sugar periodically if I do.

Congrats! My A1c was 5.6 last go-round. I'm still on 1000mg Metformin 2x/day, but I don't take my glyburide (lowest dose @ 2.5mg) on days that I work anymore. Similar weight loss here in the same time frame as well, except I'm down to about 170-175. I'm considerably shorter than you, but I was probably 195-200 when you met me.

I need to get more strips too. I switched from Contour Next to OneTouch Verio Flex for a bit, because CVS had a hell of a deal on a 100 pack of strips, but it had to be one hell of a misprice ($20 for 100 strips, $20 for a bluetooth meter... they now want $180 for 100 strips). Now that I've found that I can't even get the strips online without them being either counterfeit or from overseas, I've gone back to my Contour Next One (the strips are not only cheaper over the counter, but they're much easier to find online, from US sources). I still had some Contour strips left from when I switched, but they're very close to their expiration date (not that they're gonna instantly go bad on that date, but I know the accuracy degrades over time).

The nice thing is my current doctor knows that I know my body and meds well enough that I can mostly dictate dosage changes, so long as I give him evidence to support those changes (i.e. when I asked for a reduction in BP medication, I sent a list of my BP results, taken 2x/day, with a high quality Omron arm cuff unit, over a 2 week period, and also measurements from the higi station at work - which matched pretty closely with my personal Omron). I pretty much just have to do a face to face 4x a year; twice for bloodwork, the other 2x because one of my meds is a controlled substance (anxiety), and either their policy is a face to face 3 months for a controlled substance, or it may be an FDA thing. The 2x without bloodwork is basically "how's your BP, sugar, anxiety? everything going good for you? cool, I'll fax the rx over now". The bloodwork visits are the same, except with some paperwork to take to the lab downstairs (Quest runs a lab in the same building), with a call from his nurse the next day basically saying "hey, everything looks good, your results are on the patient portal if you want to dig into them. Your A1c was 5.x this time."

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Nov 22, 2019

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Humphreys posted:

Wait a minute... "autopilot as standard"

The configurator has it as an extra $7000

Autopilot is standard. Full self driving is extra. Autopilot is AEB, lane keep, and smart cruise. Changing lanes on the freeway, navigate on AP, smart summon, etc are FSD.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Rhyno posted:

It's done and done, our rep handled the exchange at her office. I'd have likely punched him for all the lies his family told.

I would have also said "Oh, well hold on, let me stop at Office Max to get a counterfeit marker!" and then made him wait there while marking each and every bill.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Grakkus posted:

Any UK goons going to be at Caffeine & Machine this Sunday? Taking my BX for it's first road trip in a decade this weekend and it's on my route home, was thinking about stopping by.

What is it? Where is it? What time would need to get there?

I actually have a working forward control landrover at the moment!. It did its longest completely trouble free trip for years last weekend (40 miles) - I want to do a bigger one this weekend. My toolbox and spares are already in the back ;)

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Tomarse posted:

What is it? Where is it? What time would need to get there?

I actually have a working forward control landrover at the moment!. It did its longest completely trouble free trip for years last weekend (40 miles) - I want to do a bigger one this weekend. My toolbox and spares are already in the back ;)

It's a coffee shop and road cafe just north of the cotswolds, off the Fosse. It's a recent farmhouse conversion and the entire ground floor is dedicated to motoring artwork - it's tasteful, not cheesy. A lot of the owners' clubs like to take a drive up there and meet for coffee. The car park is always full of hot pacy stuff. It's very Petrolicious and a bit Instagram but it's fun.

Food: https://caffeineandmachine.com/about-us/the-houndshill/roadhouse/
FAQ: https://caffeineandmachine.com/about-us/faq/

meltie fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Nov 23, 2019

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Goddamn boys and girls, I've got to say something. I have been uber stressed lately with life and work interfering in rebuilding the entire loving first floor of our house (and not even thinking about the basement that I'm going to have to rebuild after that).

But there's a bit of joy after we've spent 6 weeks with a half-dozen different cabinet vendors, only to come to countertop discussion... and then telling my wife that I'm fine with whatever she wants on all of the countertops, but I want the island to be a different granite that sparkles like a loving bass boat.

And I'm already drinking, so if that doesn't make sense, too bad, it's funny, damnit.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Finally got the lovely part of my driveway paved. They were supposed to be here last month but only called last week to confirm. There was a perforated plastic drain pipe under the driveway that collapsed; you can see in the pics how the pavement subsided. The dudes didn’t want to put a new pipe in there originally but we have a spring in the upper part of the yard that drains down past the driveway and would definitely flood/freeze the pavement if the pipe wasn’t there.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

e: ^^^ hi5 new paving buddy!

Long time coming but I got my new driveway. Here's the best picture I have of the old one:

Kind of hard to tell, but it stunk for doing anything car related. There was a planter on the left side (against the house) that was little more than a giant weed pit, and the right side was sinking into the dirt because the previous pavers just extended the right side on top of dirt instead of a proper base to make it a little wider. This essentially meant my working room was barely a foot wider than the car on either side, so positioning a jack sucked and I always ended up in the dirt, and washing a car was miserable as I'd have no room for a hose without dragging it through a bunch of plants and mud.

Had them fill in the entire planter and also extend the right side (properly this time) to the edge of the garage which is as far as I could go because of grade. This width extends all the way to the street so we have some nice usable space farther down too. Also extended the left side up to the front of the garage too, there was a smaller planter and a shrub there before). Probably gained a solid 6 feet in width total. It is glorious and I cannot wait to do all the car washing and maintenance with ease now.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That pipe is called weeping tile, it's pretty important for drainage. I would have hoped a paving company would know that.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Powershift posted:

That pipe is called weeping tile, it's pretty important for drainage. I would have hoped a paving company would know that.

Part of the problem is that weeping tile was in no way strong enough to be under the driveway. I think it was there before the driveway was paved (before we bought the house) and the weight of the driveway and cars driving over it slowly collapsed it. The new pipe is PVC.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

As a rule, most of the budget companies who do residential driveway paving are... Poorly trained in anything that isn't slapping down asphalt as quickly as possible. Getting them to do something like replacing a drainage tile is generally outside of their wheelhouse.

That doesn't mean that you made the wrong choice, or that a "real" paving company is worth the price difference, if you used the much more common budget option.

meatpimp posted:

Goddamn boys and girls, I've got to say something. I have been uber stressed lately with life and work interfering in rebuilding the entire loving first floor of our house (and not even thinking about the basement that I'm going to have to rebuild after that).

But there's a bit of joy after we've spent 6 weeks with a half-dozen different cabinet vendors, only to come to countertop discussion... and then telling my wife that I'm fine with whatever she wants on all of the countertops, but I want the island to be a different granite that sparkles like a loving bass boat.

And I'm already drinking, so if that doesn't make sense, too bad, it's funny, damnit.

I get it. :beerpal: Have a drink, it'll be ok.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

angryrobots posted:

As a rule, most of the budget companies who do residential driveway paving are... Poorly trained in anything that isn't slapping down asphalt as quickly as possible. Getting them to do something like replacing a drainage tile is generally outside of their wheelhouse.

That doesn't mean that you made the wrong choice, or that a "real" paving company is worth the price difference, if you used the much more common budget option.

The original quote they gave me included replacing the pipe with a new one, in fact. They just “forgot” to bring one today until my wife mentioned it and they went to get one. I swear every contractor around here is like this regardless of specialty. My buddy had a quote and work order done to take his barn down and the dude didn’t contact him for like a year then randomly showed up on Monday and they didn’t even level the site afterwards like the work order specified.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

meatpimp posted:

All I can see is a Procraft in the middle of a kitchen :v:

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

QuarkMartial posted:

All I can see is a Procraft in the middle of a kitchen :v:

Our counters are black granite with white, gold, black, and clear ~2mm specks. They make me unbearably happy but my wife hates them.

Humphreys
Jan 26, 2013

We conceived a way to use my mother as a porn mule

HandlingByJebus posted:

Our counters are black granite with white, gold, black, and clear ~2mm specks. They make me unbearably happy but my wife hates them.

When I had money, we bought a wicked house with some very flash looking counter tops. First night not unpacked yet, we got drunk. Really drunk. Woke up to a granite island countertop with deep cross hatch gouges all over. We were drunk cutting copious amounts of cheese and meats fueling our bender. Good times.

Humphreys fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Nov 23, 2019

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I'm sure 8-bit truck will be terrible to own and drive and a disaster in multiple ways but god drat I want one so bad. It's hideous, I love it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You ever feel run down despite getting a full nights sleep every day? Whoosh, I slept like a rock for 9 hours and now I feel amazing. Even my hip hurts a bit less. I had a whole bunch of poo poo I was gonna knock out today but I think I'll just relax and let my hip have a day off.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Rhyno posted:

You ever feel run down despite getting a full nights sleep every day?
Yup, I slept for like 12-13hrs last night, and I definitely needed it.

I think it's the cumulative effect of things that get to you over the week, compounded by feeling like you're not getting poo poo done, that leads to an ongoing low-level frustration and tiredness. You get to the end of the week and your system goes "cool, I can keel over now!"

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

A good sleep is a miracle for me. It's amazing to wake up not sore and rested. Unfortunately, my back is what wakes me up often during the night so it's a bit of a feedback loop. But, the times that I can pull it off, it's really nice. Last night was pretty good. Took a hit of Zopiclone before I hit the pillow around 11:45 and slept straight through until about 6:15 to take a leak, and then the cat heard my up so started meowing for 2 hours, but I just got out of bed at 8:30 which is a definite win for me.

Other than using prescription meds, not consuming alcohol has probably had the single biggest difference on both falling asleep and quantity/quality of sleep. And not just for that day - it takes about a week or so but without having any I find I have a far, far better chance of sleeping through (or mostly through) the night.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I sleep way better drunk. And I too sleep terrible. I badly need a new mattress.

I don't usually do this but this makes me proud even though it's super easy:

Veggies:

Sear:

Let's get crockin'!

In 5 to 7 hours this is gonna taste great, but it smells great ALL DAY.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

angryrobots posted:

I get it. :beerpal: Have a drink, it'll be ok.

Pretty much anybody that does any sort of building work whatsoever will seek to do less than the absolute bare minimum and then kick up a massive fuss when you politely tell them to do their job

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

LloydDobler posted:

<deliciousness>

Okay, so what time do you want me there :haw:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

LloydDobler posted:

Speaking of, I just did this recipe, except in the instant pot. Overcooked slightly, but that's my own fault, I went 14 minutes because the last time the chicken came out a little undercooked (just means the chicken fell apart pulling it out, and the potatoes pretty much mashed themselves).

It's tasty. I used some leftover half and half from the broccoli cheese soup I made last week instead of milk; these potatoes are artery-clogging, but so worth it.

Not shown is the sauteed spinach I ate with it, but that's just a splash of olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder in a pot with raw spinach, sauteed until wilted but still bright green.

Sad thing is even with my employee discount, it's significantly cheaper to get chicken at Randall's (part of Tom Thumb, which is now part of Safeway/Albertsons) vs HEB. Also, HEB doesn't actually cut their own meat on-site; it's all trucked in, already packaged up. Randall's has a butcher that comes in every morning, and the meat counter staff will trim up the chicken for you. Their chicken breast is on sale right now for $1.50/lb if you have their reward card (vs 4.99 minus 10% at my store, or normal $2.99 at Randall's). Their AM meat dept staff knows me pretty well. :v:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Nov 23, 2019

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Somehow it took like 20 hours over multiple days, but I finally made Volvo's diag tool VIDA work and it's p cool.

Humphreys
Jan 26, 2013

We conceived a way to use my mother as a porn mule

My first attempt at framing something more than photos or comics:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

LloydDobler posted:

I sleep way better drunk. And I too sleep terrible. I badly need a new mattress.

I don't usually do this but this makes me proud even though it's super easy:

Veggies:

Sear:

Let's get crockin'!

nice. I just did a pot roast from a couple hunks of chuck. Smells so good all day but there's something about my house... there's this spot in the loft where you can smell whatever I cooked the day prior and it's even better if I do something like a pot roast or pork shoulder for a long slow cook. I'll be smelling it till Wednesday.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Sitting in my office 10 minutes ago, having a drink (which I haven't had in a long time) doing some browsing and hear the unmistakable sound of a cat heaving a hairball. Everyone that has a cat knows that sound.

Spring out of my chair (it's dark) whip open my office door, spring for the light switch and felt something furry on my foot. It's the offending cat. Punted the cat mid-puke as it apparently decided to do its deed right in front of my office door. Regurgitated dinner sprayed in about a 6 ft circumference in every direction as I reach for the light. Turn on the light just in time to see the cat running down the stairs, probably scarred for life, puking the entire way. Puke on every second of the 17 loving steps to the main floor. Get downstairs as its finishing his heaves, just to go under the dining room table with the remainder of a hydrochloric acid/catfood cocktail all over the legs of the table.

Thanks cat.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

slidebite fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Nov 24, 2019

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Humphreys posted:

My first attempt at framing something more than photos or comics:

Beautiful!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

slidebite posted:

Sitting in my office 10 minutes ago, having a drink (which I haven't had in a long time) doing some browsing and hear the unmistakable sound of a cat heaving a hairball. Everyone that has a cat knows that sound.

Spring out of my chair (it's dark) whip open my office door, spring for the light switch and felt something furry on my foot. It's the offending cat. Punted the cat mid-puke as it apparently decided to do its deed right in front of my office door. Regurgitated dinner sprayed in about a 6 ft circumference in every direction as I reach for the light. Turn on the light just in time to see the cat running down the stairs, probably scarred for life, puking the entire way. Puke on every second of the 17 loving steps to the main floor. Get downstairs as its finishing his heaves, just to go under the dining room table with the remainder of a hydrochloric acid/catfood cocktail all over the legs of the table.

Thanks cat.

HAHAHAHA
well lesson learned I suppose. I used to just keep newspaper nearby so If I heard my cat heaving Id shove it right in front of 'em and they can puke on that.