Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

When I read the Giving Tree, I always thought that the kid was supposed to be a villain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

When I saw Epsteins face I could have sworn it looked familiar from 90s sitcoms but apparently he was completely off the mainstream radar until his second pedo arrest.

As for people who cancel culture got.... Roy Moore? Al Franken? Roseanne Barr?

Hows C.K doing? Is he at least partially cancelled?

That sketch did not age well.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Eschenique posted:

Hows C.K doing? Is he at least partially cancelled?

He's playing the nightclub circuit and getting standing ovations.

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

Dr Christmas posted:

Is going to jail for a crime “cancelled?” I don’t think it is. I’ve never seen anyone refer to Bill Cosby or Jared Fogle as “cancelled.”

Epstein is about as cancelled as it's possible to be.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Also Epstein didn't cancel himself.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Samovar posted:

When I read the Giving Tree, I always thought that the kid was supposed to be a villain.

yeah same

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Pththya-lyi posted:

He's playing the nightclub circuit and getting standing ovations.

He's also going towards the chuds with "Kids these days and their pronouns" and "Shut up about wanting to restrict guns after surviving a school shooting"

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

C.K already did quite a few chud jokes just under a layer of "tee-hee wouldn't it be terrible if I actually thought this way." After he got exposed he just dropped the pretense of being woke.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/ryxcommar/status/1198103450812395520?s=19

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Henchman of Santa posted:

They were almost certainly the most famous female country group of that era

Like sure, but that still isn’t very famous

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Oh boy, this derail is gonna go places.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Like sure, but they were a household name in the U.S. until they spoke out against a horrible war that was predicated on a lie and a huge chunk of their rather large fan base rabidly turned on them.

Agents are GO! posted:

Oh boy, this derail is gonna go places.

Sorry. I fell for it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Dr Christmas posted:

Is going to jail for a crime “cancelled?” I don’t think it is. I’ve never seen anyone refer to Bill Cosby or Jared Fogle as “cancelled.”

I think the biggest example of actual cancelation is Milo Yianopolous. He actually lost his gigs, didn’t get to go around to sympathetic shows to talk about how persecuted he is, his former fans have memory-holed him, and is currently living off Jacob Wohl’s table scraps to avoid bankruptcy.

Even then that was only because his conservative backers abandoned him.

Pretty much all the major alt-right figureheads are either trust fund kids or back by rich shitheads.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Country music is extremely popular

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

MizPiz posted:

Counterpoint: Cancel culture is real and the Dixie Chicks are one of the most famous victims of it

isnt it funny how everyone speaks and acts as though "cancel culture" is a left wing thing that the sjws do but the only example of people actually getting canceled, as opposed to people just getting forced to face the consequences of their words, is the time the conservatives cancelled some women for criticizing George W. Bush

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Don't forget about Kaep

https://twitter.com/matthewstoller/status/1198244186560040962

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on
So with examples like Dixie Chicks and Kaepernick, the whole cancel culture thing is pretty much just conservative projection?

loving what a surprise.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Conservatives and Republicans are the biggest hypocrites on the planet, if you haven't noticed. Literally everything they accuse the left of doing is something they are guilty of themselves

Like if I showed you two people, one a fashionable hipster in San Francisco with a perfectly trimmed beard and a nice scarf and pierced ears, and the other a middle aged churchgoing white Republican senator who sponsored anti-gay legislation, and I asked you which one had sex with a man in the last week, you know where the smart money is

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Grimdude posted:

So with examples like Dixie Chicks and Kaepernick, the whole cancel culture thing is pretty much just conservative projection?

loving what a surprise.

Yeah like the article says, social media has allowed the pain to flow upwards, so now we have to hear NYT columnists whine about it. Before only they had platforms big enough to cancel a person

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Quoted tweet is the idiot.

https://twitter.com/ashkskeet/status/1198212022342758400?s=21

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

endorphins are hormones that activate opioid receptors and the word is literally a portmanteau of "endogenous morphine." the inner tweet is not wrong that hormones can have a narcotic effect.

e: oh, it would be good to have posted the full context. i guess the outer tweet is a trans person and they described their hormone treatments as "awesome" and so this inner tweeter is saying they must be getting high on the estrogen. idiot

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Grimdude posted:

loving what a surprise.

Cody Johnston talked about that in the video on the last page. Conservatives whining about "cancel culture" are usually just complaining that they lost high-end gigs or got criticized for saying racist stuff or sexually assaulting people, while they work behind the scenes to actually gently caress up progressive people for speaking out of turn about equality.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

Cody Johnston talked about that in the video on the last page. Conservatives whining about "cancel culture" are usually just complaining that they lost high-end gigs or got criticized for saying racist stuff or sexually assaulting people, while they work behind the scenes to actually gently caress up progressive people for speaking out of turn about equality.

Bari Weiss is the queen of this

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

Bari Weiss is the queen of this

Also when she was a student at Columbia she tried to get a pro-Palestinian Muslim professor fired (that is to say, cancelled) for his views so she is actually this hypocrisy made flesh.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

The catholic church sure did a number on a lot of people's brains.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/Timcast/status/1198262812973375488

Jerk him off a bit more and maybe he'll spare you a dime, Pim Tool.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Pththya-lyi posted:

I disagree. Public opinion has definitely turned against Cosby and Fogle. The only reason we wouldn't say those men are "cancelled" is because "I hate convicted sex offenders" is a bog-standard opinion that people almost never criticize.

Basically they don’t want to de-fang their own argument by lumping in convicted rapists with “innocent people” they’re trying to deflect for.

Also no one ever says Kramer (Michael Richards) got cancelled. Partly because it was before the term but mostly because the same as above, except racist meltdown instead of rape. But I think even he is making a “comeback” - such as it is since nobody really ever paid attention to him after Seinfeld anyway.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

https://twitter.com/Timcast/status/1198262812973375488

Jerk him off a bit more and maybe he'll spare you a dime, Pim Tool.

Good news, he gets to write that off.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Reading the quote tweet destroyed a few brain cells, christ almighty.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Sagebrush posted:

endorphins are hormones that activate opioid receptors and the word is literally a portmanteau of "endogenous morphine." the inner tweet is not wrong that hormones can have a narcotic effect.

e: oh, it would be good to have posted the full context. i guess the outer tweet is a trans person and they described their hormone treatments as "awesome" and so this inner tweeter is saying they must be getting high on the estrogen. idiot

Not gonna lie, "getting high on estrogen" seems like it'd be a common way for transwoman to describe the first year of hormone replacement therapy.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
So, maybe I'm not fully understanding what cancel culture is, but it seems to me like it's calling out a shitbag as a shitbag, getting them "cancelled", because nobody wants to deal with their poo poo anymore.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Leavemywife posted:

So, maybe I'm not fully understanding what cancel culture is, but it seems to me like it's calling out a shitbag as a shitbag, getting them "cancelled", because nobody wants to deal with their poo poo anymore.

Correct but the term "cancel culture" is generally only used by right wing shitbags to refer to people that have consequences as a result of their lovely views and opinions.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Correct but the term "cancel culture" is generally only used by right wing shitbags to refer to people that have consequences as a result of their lovely views and opinions.

Or even when there are no actual long-term consequences.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I have acquaintances of the hand-wringing liberal variety who use it to describe what happens when "the left eats itself".

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Leavemywife posted:

"Cancel culture" is the name people with a lot to lose have started using to describe the normal social mechanism of speech and actions having consequences, a mechanism that is amplified by social media and the ability of the little guy to document and broadcast harassment. It's a term designed to defang this mechanism by making it seem like just another recent fad I. E. a dumb thing those hysteric millennials are doing which they will forget about in a week for the next Some Gizmo.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Nastyman posted:

"Cancel culture" is the name people with a lot to lose have started using to describe the normal social mechanism of speech and actions having consequences, a mechanism that is amplified by social media and the ability of the little guy to document and broadcast harassment. It's a term designed to defang this mechanism by making it seem like just another recent fad I. E. a dumb thing those hysteric millennials are doing which they will forget about in a week for the next Some Gizmo.

You're not wrong.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
As an example of how Cancel Culture means whatever the gently caress right wingers want it to mean, PragerU said Blizzard cracking down on pro-Hong Kong tournament players was an example of that.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Nuclear level take incoming.

https://twitter.com/NuclearTakes/status/1198349271608770566?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Aside from Brexit, and entirely racism-fueled act of populism made up of lies and big promises that are impossible to deliver on, Johnson is not like Trump.