Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
My 3ds battery is totally hosed. I can get maybe an hour out of it. Is there a way to replace it that isn't an enormous hassle or should I just buy a 2ds?

It's positively ancient at this point - it's one of t he XL models that came bundled with X and Y. I'll miss you 3ds buddy :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

ungulateman posted:

My 3ds battery is totally hosed. I can get maybe an hour out of it. Is there a way to replace it that isn't an enormous hassle or should I just buy a 2ds?

It's positively ancient at this point - it's one of t he XL models that came bundled with X and Y. I'll miss you 3ds buddy :saddowns:

Less than $20 to replace it, maybe $24 total if you need to buy the screwdriver set to open the back and can't borrow one. They're tiny.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm curious - I read that article about how shiny hunting works in Sw/Sh and how battling a mon repeatedly will increase its shiny chance. Does anyone know if this ever resets, or do you just have a constant 6x increase in shiny chance once you've fought enough of a mon?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Your Computer posted:

I'm curious - I read that article about how shiny hunting works in Sw/Sh and how battling a mon repeatedly will increase its shiny chance. Does anyone know if this ever resets, or do you just have a constant 6x increase in shiny chance once you've fought enough of a mon?

It's permanent.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Araxxor posted:

It's permanent.
neat, thanks!

unrelated question - is west sea Shellos/Gastrodon in this game or only east sea again? All I've ever seen is east sea, both in the wild and in trade (Shield version fwiw)

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Your Computer posted:

neat, thanks!

unrelated question - is west sea Shellos/Gastrodon in this game or only east sea again? All I've ever seen is east sea, both in the wild and in trade (Shield version fwiw)

I've only ever seen east sea too, but the pokedex does specify that they are so maybe there'll be a way to get west sea at some point.

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c

Chronojam posted:

Magikarp at least tried to help. Wobuffet literally never does any useful actions. Although sometimes you get both of these winners trying to help you out.

I had a Wobuffet NPC one land a fat Mirror Coat right after the final shield drop on a Butterfree, so anecdotally not 100% useless. The most annoying one I've seen was an NPC Maractus in a 3 Human raid that died in one hit every (unbuffed) Rock Slide, resulting in a super avoidable storm out.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Eopia posted:

I've only ever seen east sea too, but the pokedex does specify that they are so maybe there'll be a way to get west sea at some point.

Yeah when you transfer them from Home. But a Max Raid will probably come out before that happens.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Martin and his Solrock with its fetish for Cosmic Power, and anything that uses a heal spell only to get immediately smoked the next turn have been my most useless AI partners.

Also sorry to whoever I joined up with and then immediately hosed over by flubbing my entry and dropping a big Soft Sand Earthquake on that instantly exploded like....everyone.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

pray for my aunt posted:

I had a Wobuffet NPC one land a fat Mirror Coat right after the final shield drop on a Butterfree, so anecdotally not 100% useless. The most annoying one I've seen was an NPC Maractus in a 3 Human raid that died in one hit every (unbuffed) Rock Slide, resulting in a super avoidable storm out.

At least that Maractus will sometimes use Sucker Punch so it can do 1 damage before it faints.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
so the bogus fossils pokemons are in constant pain, right

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
I don't know how it took me so long to realise, but:

Let's go Pikachu and Eevee are literal isekai plotlines

Regular Pokemon games at least have some plausible deniability, let's go has you literally jump into your tv screen to enter the world of Pokemon

:psyduck:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Kurtofan posted:

Yes but it's worth it for my big derpy dragon fish

poo poo now I know how dog breeders feel

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

ungulateman posted:

Regular Pokemon games at least have some plausible deniability, let's go has you literally jump into your tv screen to enter the world of Pokemon

:psyduck:

You just know someone's tried to do this.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
So was that "Cinderace hops up and down to do Double Kick" animation everyone was pissed about fake or what because my Cinderace, like, actually does a kick

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

I like the Pokedex entries trying and failing to pretend these were real creatures that existed, instead of mad science treading where man should not tread.

Edit: Also, those are not going to be fun for my mad plan to eventually have as feasible a living shiny Dex as I can.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

So was that "Cinderace hops up and down to do Double Kick" animation everyone was pissed about fake or what because my Cinderace, like, actually does a kick

Wasn't that scorbunny and not cinderace.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

Not fake no, loads of Pokes do the hop up and down animations for multi hit moves.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Speaking of Shinies, is there any word on what all exactly is shiny locked in this Gen?

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames
I feel like the online features in this game are getting a huge pass just because it's pokémon. I know Nintendo games usually have some weird decisions about online multiplayer but swsh is straight up barely functional.

People have talked about the raid matchmaking a ton already so I won't get into that, but is anyone else having trouble with local trading?

My partner and I have been playing pokémon together for like 10 years, trading and helping each other fill out our dexes, moving our guys forward each time a new gen comes out, and we've played other multiplayer switch games on the same connection, using local wireless, and had no issues. but for some reason in SwSh the local trading does not seem to work at all most of the time. I think except for maybe one time out of a dozen so far, we've had to connect to the internet to trade when we're sitting right beside each other. Anyone else experiencing this?

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Live Free posted:

I feel like the online features in this game are getting a huge pass just because it's pokémon. I know Nintendo games usually have some weird decisions about online multiplayer but swsh is straight up barely functional.

People have talked about the raid matchmaking a ton already so I won't get into that, but is anyone else having trouble with local trading?

My partner and I have been playing pokémon together for like 10 years, trading and helping each other fill out our dexes, moving our guys forward each time a new gen comes out, and we've played other multiplayer switch games on the same connection, using local wireless, and had no issues. but for some reason in SwSh the local trading does not seem to work at all most of the time. I think except for maybe one time out of a dozen so far, we've had to connect to the internet to trade when we're sitting right beside each other. Anyone else experiencing this?

Make sure both of you are on local at the same time, and not queue up the trade link before changing the network. Otherwise I dunno, I had problems but once I kept the above in mind it went away.

Robotic Accolade
Jul 23, 2007

EDF! EDF! EDF!

Live Free posted:

I've done local trades a couple times at work, and each time it went off without a hitch. My work is in mobile games, so the local wifi environment at work is fairly crowded as well. If you're having trouble with local its probably either a problem with one of your switches or something nearby that is interfering directly (since apparently SwSh broadcasts the Roku device killswitch, maybe something is similarly crowding out the signal? An easy way to tell is to do your trades in a different physical location).

That said, the online failures are pretty dire. There's a 5 star gigantomax Centiscorch den I've been staring at all day, which I'm not going to get because I've been unable to get a single person to join my game in over 10 attempts. Trying to solo it just puts me in with 3 pokemon that die to a single hit, and I'm not nearly strong enough to solo a 5 star before 4 KOs happen. And the pokemon server just went down for emergency maintenance... again.

It wouldn't bother me so much if this wasn't a separate paid service. I know 20 bucks a year is cheap as these things go, but asking for a server farm large enough to maintain stability over predictable launch pressures is the kind of basic performance one would expect from Nintendo Online.

Like, I get that online services with this many users is a non-trivial thing, I'm not a server guy but this is my line of work. But there's so many rookie problems that pop up. Like the fact that the wild zone hiccups every time a new player pops into view, apparently because it's loading the specific character models/textures on the fly and they couldn't or wouldn't do it asynchronously? So instead the game hangs while it dumps the assets into memory? Every single time? Don't get me wrong, SwSh is a wonderful game overall but if they're going to push the release date up and leave all these rough edges in the least they could do is give the game a patch or two. Assuming they resuse the engine for SwSh2 or another early gen remix, it wouldn't even be that big a development hit since they should be fixing stuff up anyway.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Robotic Accolade posted:

That said, the online failures are pretty dire. There's a 5 star gigantomax Centiscorch den I've been staring at all day, which I'm not going to get because I've been unable to get a single person to join my game in over 10 attempts. Trying to solo it just puts me in with 3 pokemon that die to a single hit, and I'm not nearly strong enough to solo a 5 star before 4 KOs happen. And the pokemon server just went down for emergency maintenance... again.

I loving hate these raids. I ultimately managed to solo one with a Tyranitar that had Thunder Wave. Start with TW and hope he gets paralyzed enough throughout the gently caress to not wreck the NPC trash the game gives you as allies. You can find a wild TTar daily in the Dusty Bowl area.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Is there a reason dens are giving me 200 watts a tap? And the max raids giving 2000? Or is it just because im further in the game

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Peacoffee posted:

Is there a reason dens are giving me 200 watts a tap? And the max raids giving 2000? Or is it just because im further in the game

It starts doing that once you're Champion, yeah.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Eopia posted:

Rudoku posted:

Yeah when you transfer them from Home. But a Max Raid will probably come out before that happens.

ah, that's a shame :( Didn't they only have the east sea version in Sun/Moon too, or am I misremembering that?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Your Computer posted:

ah, that's a shame :( Didn't they only have the east sea version in Sun/Moon too, or am I misremembering that?

You could trade West Sea in, but I don't think it was in natively. They added an in-game trade for it in USUM.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

AngryRobotsInc posted:

You could trade West Sea in, but I don't think it was in natively. They added an in-game trade for it in USUM.

Wait what? :aaa:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Live Free posted:

It's dogshit, but every Nintendo online system is dogshit so :shrug:

Nintendo games will never have good online, Smash is probably one of the better ones and even that has a ton of problems. So I'll just be like "well that sucks" and go back to collecting the cute monsters

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Holy poo poo just joined a toxtricity raid with a togedemaru. Lightning rod if loving awesome for raids.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
While I'm waiting in front of Wyndon Stadium for my buddy to finish grinding and start fighting Leon, some thoughts:

There's a bunch of stuff that could have used some more polish-- while I'm not the type to care too much about graphics, I do care about content. My biggest gripe is how short everything is. There are way too many points where you're doing two or three gyms practically in a row, and it could do with some more padding. Also, while I'm not going into Pokemon games expecting the greatest or most complex plot, I do want some level of I guess consistency, and the way they handle Rose's scheme (making nearly everything relevant and informing about it happen near the end) feels flimsy. I think they either needed to seed more foreshadowing in earlier or just flat out focus on the gym challenge as the plot (someone earlier in the thread phrased it as a sports drama which I think fits).

But boy was this game a breath of fresh air! I got burned out on gen 7, probably because it consisted of two very similar games and there wasn't enough variety in the setting to keep me interested. Things here were so new! A Pokemon adventure is a unique and important thing to me, and I had been sorely missing it.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip
So because I'm a colossal idiot I traded away my regular Meowth (the one you get at Turffield Gym) which means I currently can't get Persian to complete my Dex.

Is it possible to breed the one you get? When I breed my event Meowth it comes out as the Galarian form, which isn't helpful to me.

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames

Macaluso posted:

It's dogshit, but every Nintendo online system is dogshit so :shrug:

Nintendo games will never have good online, Smash is probably one of the better ones and even that has a ton of problems. So I'll just be like "well that sucks" and go back to collecting the cute monsters

at least other games work on a basic level. and the fact that it doesn't work is preventing me from collecting the cute monsters.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Is the battle tower thing 6 victories or 6 victories in a row? Like does it reset if you lose?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Finally made a gold curry, now to unleash my camping gimmick loadouts like 6 Magikarp flopping around all over the place

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

BearDrivingTruck posted:

While I'm waiting in front of Wyndon Stadium for my buddy to finish grinding and start fighting Leon, some thoughts:

There's a bunch of stuff that could have used some more polish-- while I'm not the type to care too much about graphics, I do care about content. My biggest gripe is how short everything is. There are way too many points where you're doing two or three gyms practically in a row, and it could do with some more padding. Also, while I'm not going into Pokemon games expecting the greatest or most complex plot, I do want some level of I guess consistency, and the way they handle Rose's scheme (making nearly everything relevant and informing about it happen near the end) feels flimsy. I think they either needed to seed more foreshadowing in earlier or just flat out focus on the gym challenge as the plot (someone earlier in the thread phrased it as a sports drama which I think fits).

But boy was this game a breath of fresh air! I got burned out on gen 7, probably because it consisted of two very similar games and there wasn't enough variety in the setting to keep me interested. Things here were so new! A Pokemon adventure is a unique and important thing to me, and I had been sorely missing it.

Yeah the stories have been awful for a while now. At this point I'm enjoying the SMT games way more. They still satisfy the collect things and fight with them itch and they have stories with at least some challenge.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

So as someone who has a less than zero interest in Competitive Pokemon battling, is there any point whatsoever to chasing the perfect IV and abilities because I'm pretty unimpressed with the post-game content if its just PvP forever.

I'll still catch all the Pokes that are available but other than that there's really nothing to do.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Oh god Contrary raises the def stats when shields get broken in a raid.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Judge Tesla posted:

So as someone who has a less than zero interest in Competitive Pokemon battling, is there any point whatsoever to chasing the perfect IV and abilities because I'm pretty unimpressed with the post-game content if its just PvP forever.

I'll still catch all the Pokes that are available but other than that there's really nothing to do.

There’s also raids but yeah if you’re not going to bother with competitive or breedings IVs are meaningless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Okay getting the IV tracker was easier than I thought. The Gyrados from the rental team was NOT the sweeper I was led to believe though. Falinks ended up being the MVP more than him. Also gently caress these little kids using protect. STOP USING THAT MOVE. STOP WASTING MY TIME