Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
If my priority is immersive gaming and my couch is pretty close to the TV which makes more sense:
55-inch QLED/OLED
65-inch LED/LCD

it's the first one isn't it? gently caress, they are so much more money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Well keep in mind QLED is not OLED it's just samsung trying to make people think their LED/LCD screens are special.

Also yes OLED is incredible but I went with a 65" sony x900f (LED/LCD/etc) last year 'cause I wanted bigger and I'm still really liking it.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

MagusDraco posted:

Well keep in mind QLED is not OLED it's just samsung trying to make people think their LED/LCD screens are special.

Ah that's good to know.

There's actually a 65-inch Samsung QLED that would be feasible for me, but now I have this stupid idea in my head that only OLED will do.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

fuf posted:

Ah that's good to know.

There's actually a 65-inch Samsung QLED that would be feasible for me, but now I have this stupid idea in my head that only OLED will do.

65" OLED is the best option.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
oh ok cool i'll just go bankrupt brb

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

fuf posted:

oh ok cool i'll just go bankrupt brb

Well I mean... what's your budget then?

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

BonoMan posted:

Well I mean... what's your budget then?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-Electro...LE&sr=1-21&th=1

This is what I'm currently trying to justify to myself (£1100). And even that is like insane for me.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
It appears LG is making hospitality versions of its OLED sets, so that's interesting.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Is there another sweet spot for price to performance above the TCL/Hisense price point?

EDIT: fuf is in the UK, so the question doesn't really work for them, but I'm curious. Unless something else pops up, probably taking the plunge on the 65" TCL 6-series at Costco on thanksgiving. $600 feels like a steal.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

TheWevel posted:

It appears LG is making hospitality versions of its OLED sets, so that's interesting.

Not OLED, but the hotel I stayed at this week has a pretty nice 4k LG set-up in the room complete with Chromecast support.

No joke, there was a literal 2nd gen Chromecast plugged into the service box behind the TV. There was some portal registration stuff with a code on the screen that did the network trickary to make it visible to that device only.

Only downside was a complete lockout of picture menus and Trumotion was turned on at a moderately high level so it was hard to watch

I don't just mean from the motion smoothing perspective either. LGs Trumotion is garbage and causes a ton of nasty artifacts, especially on animation.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

fuf posted:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-Electro...LE&sr=1-21&th=1

This is what I'm currently trying to justify to myself (£1100). And even that is like insane for me.

Then don’t buy it?

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Dogen posted:

Then don’t buy it?

thanks for the useless reply you fuckin killjoy. I'm trying to get excited about a new tv over here!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Guide to buying affordable OLED in UK:

1. Scrap Brexit
2. Wait
3. Economy now isn't a cesspool and things are back to being not priced at 1 pound = 1 dollar.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

fuf posted:

thanks for the useless reply you fuckin killjoy. I'm trying to get excited about a new tv over here!

Enjoy bankruptcy, I guess?

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

EL BROMANCE posted:

Guide to buying affordable OLED in UK:

1. Scrap Brexit
2. Wait
3. Economy now isn't a cesspool and things are back to being not priced at 1 pound = 1 dollar.

finally some advice I can act on

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah it's a crummy situation because there's gently caress all regular people can do. When I was in the UK, TV buying was always a more expensive art than some other places, and lack of choice didn't help. It's only gotten so much worse in the last few years from what I can see. I'm constantly astounded when I see things like digital store purchases being practically the same in terms of cost with a different symbol in front. And we always used to moan before it was this bad!

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Anyone have the scoop on lower-end Samsung units? I've got one of those workplace EPP sites that I can browse and I can pick up a 65" Samsung NU6900 (full model UN65NU6900F) for $480. (I guess that's normal Best Buy price, but I get some other 'perks' for buying it through the site.)

I'm not a TV snob or anything, 2 of my 3 current TV's work like poo poo (Vizio TV's with the world's least reliable chromecast built in) so I'm just really wanting something that works and isn't going to break the bank.

Otherwise, it looks like Costco seems like it's shaping up to have some real good BF deals, just by skirting through the last few pages of the thread...

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Nov 22, 2019

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Is this NOT the 6 series if I want to hook my pc up? I dont currently game with a 244 hz monitor or higher than 60 fps if that matters. Its $479 right now

Samsung 65" Class - 6 Series - 4K UHD LED LCD TV

Item 9656950 Model UN65NU6950FXZA

Edit lol sorry just saw the post above mine

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I ended up just stopping at best buy and picking up the 55" LG UM7300PUA. 55" is about perfect for where we wanted the TV (in the bedroom) and so far I really like the picture quality, sound quality and the remote being decent was a good surprise.

I'll have to save up for a nice OLED to replace the aging Vizio E480i-B2 in the front room...

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Other than HLG and Variable Refreshrate/HDMI 2.1, is there anything bleeding edge cool on the horizon?

Or is that a CES question.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

FilthyImp posted:

Other than HLG and Variable Refreshrate/HDMI 2.1, is there anything bleeding edge cool on the horizon?

Or is that a CES question.

CES will definitely reveal what the next year looks like. I'd say that VRR/HDMI 2.1 is the big thing I expect (hope) to see just about every manufacturer embrace this year.

We'll probably see some more micro LED and 8K stuff, but I expect this will still be crazy expensive for a few years and may never really hit the mainstream given the inherent issues with generating content.

I know Samsung is sinking money into OLED TV production, but I'm not sure we can expect to see any actual products next year?

Hisense had that interesting prototype last year which used two LCD screens to generate additional contrast. That definitely seems like something that could hit the mainstream fairly readily from multiple makers, but I'm not sure if they had a patent.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
HDMI 2.1 becoming more mainstream with more of the optional features like VRR being supported is probably what to expect. 2020 is also the year of the next Xbox and PlayStation so it's the last CES we get before their release, so a lot of companies are gonna ship with VRR if they want in on that.

60+ refresh rate is the dream now that we might see VRR go mainstream.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Nov 23, 2019

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Hisense had that interesting prototype last year which used two LCD screens to generate additional contrast. That definitely seems like something that could hit the mainstream fairly readily from multiple makers, but I'm not sure if they had a patent.

No way would they license that out. I'm sure they have a patent on it.

It was a nice "simple" idea (and they even upgraded the b&w panel to 4K from the original 1080p concept). I imagine there are several issues, namely pushing light through two panels and probably a ton of QA issues with joining the two panels. I could be wrong though.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
MicroLED seems like the holy grail but it will probably be a few years before 4K displays are commercially viable which will also line up with affordable 8K OLEDs.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

ufarn posted:

HDMI 2.1 becoming more mainstream with more of the optional features like VRR being supported is probably what to expect. 2020 is also the year of the next Xbox and PlayStation so it's the last CES we get before their release, so a lot of companies are gonna ship with VRR if they want in on that.

60+ refresh rate is the dream now that we might see VRR go mainstream.

So hold off on the 2.0 6 series for now if I ever want to use my pc and tv in the future?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
You people have made me realize that my "amoled" display on my galaxy s7 active has some burn in on it that is starting to get visible in various screens.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

So hold off on the 2.0 6 series for now if I ever want to use my pc and tv in the future?
Depends on whether you want to get something for Christmas, but right now, LG C9 seems like the only all-rounder, and it's not a cheap TV. Hopefully VRR/HDMI 2.1 goes mainstream for more affordable TVs.

We only just figured out how to do HDR decently, especially with Game Mode.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

At some point (hopefully this upcoming year) LG is going to have a next generation panel. Since the 6 series, the panels have only been a small evolution year over year and not a real generational change. Most of the changes have only been subtle design changes and software tweaks.

The things that we really want to see out of a next generation LG panel are better near black performance and higher overall brightness so highlights won't clip as much.

The Big Bad Worf
Jan 26, 2004
Quad-greatness

American McGay posted:

MicroLED seems like the holy grail but it will probably be a few years before 4K displays are commercially viable which will also line up with affordable 8K OLEDs.

I'm cautiously optimistic at best about any sort of self-emitting LED technology. Once we get to a point where panel sizes can be sane for them, there's probably still other factors to consider.

Pure blacks are one benefit of OLED, but something that seems easily forgotten is their nearly instantaneous response time and superb viewing angles. These are not characteristics that are often associated with typical LED panels. Like, you can add "infinite contrast" as a feature to IPS, VA, or TN panels and there would still be major reasons to prefer an OLED over them.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

The Big Bad Worf posted:

I'm cautiously optimistic at best about any sort of self-emitting LED technology. Once we get to a point where panel sizes can be sane for them, there's probably still other factors to consider.

Pure blacks are one benefit of OLED, but something that seems easily forgotten is their nearly instantaneous response time and superb viewing angles. These are not characteristics that are often associated with typical LED panels. Like, you can add "infinite contrast" as a feature to IPS, VA, or TN panels and there would still be major reasons to prefer an OLED over them.

But all the problems you mention are generally because of the LCD panel correct? MicroLED is having the LED *be* the actual pixel instead of just a backlight thus eliminating the LCD portion of the panel?

Unless I'm just misunderstanding MicroLED.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

The Big Bad Worf posted:

This is kind of my gut feeling as well. OLED is here now, and relatively affordable. By the time microLED gets to that point OLED will only by better and cheaper.

For very large to huge displays I think a self-emitting LED will definitely be the best option and an easy sell to replace things like LCD video walls and projectors. Both those technologies have incredible downsides and I cannot wait to see them vanish into rear view mirror.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Not sure if this is the best thread but I am looking for help for watching movies. I have a giant collection of 500 or so movies on a external HDD, and am looking at the best (and hopefully inexpensive) solution for watching them on a dumb tv.

I have tried

- PLEX server, which didn't work well for me since my server desktop computer is normally off and on a different floor than my TV.
- Android box (100$ on amazon) which has terrible menus, slow, stutters on many movies, glitchy

Oddly enough I used to have a samsung LCD from like 2012 that played it all flawlessly from its usb drive but I no longer have that TV.

I am considering the Nvidia shield, but its a big expensive for this, or a better android box as well. Am I missing something obvious? PS4 or Xbox? Maybe there is a Roku or similiar that supports USB HDDs?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If you do the shield option, you can run plex server on that and open up a ton more options (ie can get cheap streaming sticks for other TVs in the house, watch on phone etc).

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Update on the deal I posted earlier, the 55" has dropped in price

LG B9 bundle: 55" $1197 shipped with code, 65" $1797

quote:

You'll also get a Deco Gear 31" soundbar, a flat wall mount, a 6-outlet surge protector, and a wireless keyboard smart remote with touchpad mouse.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
Really pleased with the Vizio PX65 so far. Way better panel than the TCL I had before. When local dimming is set at low, I don’t notice any of the weird flashing that happens between light and dark scenes when they go back and forth. Great value for 999, and with the 5 year Costco deal, no worries.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Recently got an Xbone and am thinking about jumping up to a 4K hdr display. I have a pretty modest home theater setup, I mostly play games and watch movies, and the room it’s in is usually decently lit and has I’d say medium wide viewing angles. Tv is in the corner next to a front window facing roughly 45 degrees out to a couch and two chairs.

Currently have a vizio from ~2016 that’s served me well, so I don’t think I’m super picky about most of the concerns.

Mostly gaming and movies are what I care about, plus the hdr sound cool to me. Not really interested in high refresh rates. Size about 50-55”, budget would be $500 at the very maximum, preferably decently under that. Is there any models I could be in the lookout for during holiday sales?

Also I don’t care about smart stuff, I have a million ways to get Netflix in the tv.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I caved and got the 55" C9. On rtings.com they show the difference that calibration makes. Do people actually calibrate their TV for home use?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

lordfrikk posted:

I caved and got the 55" C9. On rtings.com they show the difference that calibration makes. Do people actually calibrate their TV for home use?

For a given reading of "calibrate". By all means note down RTings' recommend settings for the Picture menu and mirror them on your TV. You don't need to call a professional and have them go hog wild with a colorimeter, probably.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I have a B7 and I just mirrored recommended settings and it's perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

BonoMan posted:

But all the problems you mention are generally because of the LCD panel correct? MicroLED is having the LED *be* the actual pixel instead of just a backlight thus eliminating the LCD portion of the panel?

Unless I'm just misunderstanding MicroLED.

No, you are correct. Current "LED" TVs have an LED backlight, as apposed to a cold cathode or similar, just to show how out of date calling an LCD panel LED is today.

I don't think microLED panels will hit LCD prices, or even OLED prices any time soon. Each bit of panel seems to need a micro controller etc. so we'll see how that shakes out. I think the big advantage of LCD is the panel takes very low amounts of power to to it's twisting to turn the pixels on and off, while the backlight LEDs take higher amounts of power but only fairly large blocks of them turn on and off for the full array backlight effects. A microLED TV is basically a full array backlight, except for every pixel you have 3 colored backlights and no LCD panel in front of them, if you wanted to think about it that way to put them in perspective of current TV technologies.