Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'm deciding whether to go for Sekiro or Surge 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Yeah I had put off getting Sekiro but this game has given me the urge to cut evil so now I'm waiting for Black Friday on Steam

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Sekiro is goty action get Sekiro.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

JBP posted:

Storm troopers are clones of an idiot.

nah, in new canon, they are mostly recruits or conscripts. the purge troopers are possibly clones of fett but gently caress if i know. so your mostly killing moron kids who became moron fascists.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
the storm troopers sound like nice and chill dudes who are just in a bad situation.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

nah, in new canon, they are mostly recruits or conscripts. the purge troopers are possibly clones of fett but gently caress if i know. so your mostly killing moron kids who became moron fascists.

I know but they all have the same weird Standard American accent that it's comical.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

The Lone Badger posted:

I'm deciding whether to go for Sekiro or Surge 2.

Sekiro has better combat, Surge 2 has better exploration

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Zane posted:

the storm troopers sound like nice and chill dudes who are just in a bad situation.

"You ran away during the attack." "I was flanking them! ... a very long flank." "By staying behind a rock?"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
They really loving nailed the Force Push especially as regards pushing dudes off platforms

Feels freaking great erry time

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

precision posted:

They really loving nailed the Force Push especially as regards pushing dudes off platforms

Feels freaking great erry time

It's giving me Jedi Outcast/Jedi Academy flashbacks, it's great

Some Purge Trooper yells out his edgelord combat initiation line at me, I say "nope" and push him off the cliff

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Grandmaster is funny because they're really difficult but if you roll up with lots of force power you just pull/push then say "all too easy".

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?
Gonna do Nioh after. I already tried it and got up to the fireboat demon thing in the second area before I realized that 20fps and below is just not enough to power through.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Zane posted:

Stormtroopers have always been such total Joes you expect to see them with their helmets off, smoking, and talking about what an rear end in a top hat their detailer is.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Zane posted:

"I hit him!! ... why did I hit him??"

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Did they patch the bug where your robot buddy disappears?

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

god the ending of this game is rotten. I dunno if its the ending or the whole story and it is only revealed to be this idiotic in the end but wow that was very unsatisfying. the final boss being that bad might have coloured my opinion - I enjoyed ludwig/Laurence in the bloodborne xpac and the demon of hate in sekiro and I probably only needed 10 attempts to finish fallen order but such BAD attacks - no limit on range, comboing stun into nearly full health to dead attacks. just really terrible stuff - in the end EVERY enemy in the game is unsatisfying because its all so easily exploited - force pull every melee humanoid or super forgivingly parry their blaster shot and one hit them. hold block on big spiders then hit them. dodge roll ogres then hit them. rush the humanoid bounty hunter and then easily kill the robot companion by dodging the red attacks time slow every attack on the jedi hunters no enemies actually need to be killed with well time parries or dodges it feels like everything is so rote.

overall its a solid game and like everyone is saying the best star wars game in a while and I hope for an even better sequel but really 3/5 at best if you don't let emotion in

control was SUCH a better game

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Controls combat wasn't particular great either and the weakest part of the game.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?

ymgve posted:

Did they patch the bug where your robot buddy disappears?

It's been acknowledged and reported as being worked upon. At least according to what I've seen on the EA bug reporting forums.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

JBP posted:

Sekiro is goty action get Sekiro.

Devil May Cry 5.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

haldolium posted:

Controls combat wasn't particular great either and the weakest part of the game.

It was the weakest part of the game but it was still much better than in this games. The movement in combat felt a lot better and using guns eliminates the floatiness of the combat I felt a lot in this game.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

haldolium posted:

Solidly massive disagree. Control with all powers unlocked has some of the coolest and most fun action of any game this year. I mean we talk about Sekiro a lot in this thread but what game came out this year that really made you feel like a powerful supernatural force? I would argue Control does the Magneto power fantasy better than any other game. Honorable Mention to RAGE 2 because when you have all your powers maxed out in that game you are literally an angel of Death

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
If you enjoyed the lightsaber fights you owe it to yourself to play Sekiro.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Hackan Slash posted:

If you enjoyed the lightsaber fights you owe it to yourself to play Sekiro.

With the caveat that the easiest boss in Sekiro is still harder than the hardest boss on Jedi Grandmaster

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

How do you drop down a ledge. i.e. you're above and want to drop down to climb w/o taking fall damage?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Zotix posted:

How do you drop down a ledge. i.e. you're above and want to drop down to climb w/o taking fall damage?

you cannot. you have to jump and do a 180

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Cao Ni Ma posted:

It was the weakest part of the game but it was still much better than in this games. The movement in combat felt a lot better and using guns eliminates the floatiness of the combat I felt a lot in this game.

Bust Rodd posted:

Solidly massive disagree. Control with all powers unlocked has some of the coolest and most fun action of any game this year. I mean we talk about Sekiro a lot in this thread but what game came out this year that really made you feel like a powerful supernatural force? I would argue Control does the Magneto power fantasy better than any other game. Honorable Mention to RAGE 2 because when you have all your powers maxed out in that game you are literally an angel of Death

How I see it is both games are fantastic in their very own way and in both combat is the weakest part. In Fallen Order it is because they tried making it a souls-lite, which I think was not the right descision and have tons of issues with camera work, targeting and parry timing. In Control you can have quite a lot boring combats until you get a few powers leveld, but at that point you've seen the same wobbly ghost-FX (that effect is so drat unsatisfying to shoot) enemies so much, it makes no difference anymore. The default fov was also way too low. It was their 2nd worst after Quantum Break in terms of combat enjoyment, even Alan Wake was more fluid yet even more boring, but they always made up for it with the entire rest and Control is probably my favorite Remedy game now. It's fantastic, no question. But I did not like it for the combat at all for said reasons.

JFO has the advantage of difficulty adjustment compared to other souls immitatios. I started on 2nd hardest but soon moved down because it would just be frustrating combating not an AI in a fair fight, but a variety of mechnial shortcomings instead. I don't mind doing that and enjoyed it for the most parts after adjusting it down. WHEN the combat flow worked, it was very pretty and close to Jedi Knight with some added satisfaction that a perfect-parry gave. It also has no grave failures and is overall fair. What I really like about JFO is it's diversity and good pacing. Even towards the end, you still see new things, meet (somewhat) new enemies. I also appreciated the random bounty hunter encounters later on which made already explored areas less boring. I also appreciate the genre mix in general of various action adventures that I think have not found their way together like they did here.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I would argue that the little waist high space animals are a total failure. They are just annoying to fight, it feels bad to kill animals for no reason, and once you unlock the DBL they are just combat white noise that pose literally no challenge. I couldn't believe their insistence on including them all the way to the very end.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Yeah, that's not enough to wreck the game but it could definitely be improved. I'd rather have the animals there in the background/fighting imperials, maybe fighting just some occasional large monsters to break up the combat against troopers/bounty hunters/whoever.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
This game should only have two difficulties - Story mode and Normal. The game should be balanced and crafted around the normal benchmark of difficulty that is fair but challenging with the mechanics in the game. Jedi Grandmaster is absurd for no reason by giving you 3 frames to parry something.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

yeah those are one part why I think a different base combat mechanic would've been better. Souls (and alike) profit mostly from something between human size to skyscraper, and in god of war or dmc you have a lot more critter contact. Having those animals in the game was a great descision imo because it did create much more diversity as fighting the empire or some humanoid tribes all day long, but they did not fare too well with the combat system.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Thom12255 posted:

This game should only have two difficulties - Story mode and Normal. The game should be balanced and crafted around the normal benchmark of difficulty that is fair but challenging with the mechanics in the game. Jedi Grandmaster is absurd for no reason by giving you 3 frames to parry something.

I wouldn't mind the combat being so punishing if it didn't result in instant 1 hit combo kills -> 2 minute load times and 3-5 minute runbacks to the boss fight. Like just let me practice the fights if you want me to get good at the game, Game!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Sekiro combat meeting Metroid exploration with a dedicated narrative throughout is a gameplay setup that has been woefully missing from gaming. Hell, Metroidvanias with good storylines in general are rare, the two grandaddies of the genre both had mediocre storytelling that was just a start point and an end point, with no actual development in between.

Definitely think it was a bold move on Respawn's part when they could have just thrown together a mission based TPS with the Star Wars brand and a decent story and it still probably would have been pretty well received as hearkening back to the glory days of SW gaming.

Unrelated, but the people complaining about the map design have me really confused, because maps are something I have always paid a lot of attention to and the way some of the planets (Zeffo and Bogano, particularly, but mainly Zeffo) wrap around themselves and have multiple links between all the areas (and in the case of Zeffo a pretty decent variety of terrain types) is actually really drat impressive. The fact that you can get back to basically anywhere in each map is also really impressive. Zeffo is straight beautifully designed, and the subtle touches of being able to often see landmarks like the wing of the Mantis or the huge spire of the first tomb from various places on the map was actually the most FROM like thing about the game, and one of the major reasons Dark Souls 1 and Sekiro were so drat good for me. I loved how that big masher in the Weathered Hilltop is the same thing that is bashing on the ice ceiling in the ice caves below it, and the way the various areas link, albeit often with just simple elevators (DS1 did the exact same thing) was very cool. Kashyyyk's map was probably the least interesting once you left the refinery areas, but that also served its purpose in a narrative sense. The fact that they mixed and matched the honeycomb vs linear setpiece layouts throughout was a great balance and kept it interesting.

I hope in the inevitable sequel they take it a step further with the area design and do stuff like having the levels slowly evolve over time. I kept waiting for that ice to finally break and reveal a new shortcut between those areas, as well as maybe a deeper area below the Ice Caves. When you head back to the two planets with built in "breaks" to the story, I had similarly hoped that more than just the spawns would change and some of the areas would actually change around and evolve with the story. That sorta stuff would be rad.

Re: difficulty, the devs themselves said the game was actually designed around Jedi Master and that's the "correct" difficulty to play at, balance wise. The other difficulty levels were all spun off that base difficulty and were not tested as much.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Nov 23, 2019

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Thom12255 posted:

Nope, disagree. IMO they should just do some more fine tuning but having more difficulty options is good. Story is too easy even for me but I'd absolutely fail if they only had one setting above that.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Fuzz posted:

Sekiro combat meeting Metroid exploration with a dedicated narrative throughout is a gameplay setup that has been woefully missing from gaming. Hell, Metroidvanias with good storylines in general are rare, the two grandaddies of the genre both had mediocre storytelling that was just a start point and an end point, with no actual development in between.

Definitely think it was a bold move on Respawn's part when they could have just thrown together a mission based TPS with the Star Wars brand and a decent story and it still probably would have been pretty well received as hearkening back to the glory days of SW gaming.

Unrelated, but the pale complaining about the map design have me really confused, because maps are something I have always paid a lot of attention to and the way some of the planets (Zeffo and Bogano, particularly, but mainly Zeffo) wrap around themselves and have multiple links between all the areas (and in the case of Zeffo a pretty decent variety of terrain types) is actually really drat impressive. The fact that you can get back to basically anywhere in each map is also really impressive. Zeffo is straight beautifully designed, and the subtle touches of being able to often see landmarks like the wing of the Mantis or the huge spire of the first tomb from various places on the map was actually the most FROM like thing about the game, and one of the major reasons Dark Souls 1 and Sekiro were so drat good for me. I loved how that big masher in the Weathered Hilltop is the same thing that is bashing on the ice ceiling in the ice caves below it, and the way the various areas link, albeit often with just simple elevators (DS1 did the exact same thing) was very cool. Kashyyyk's map was probably the least interesting once you left the refinery areas, but that also served its purpose in a narrative sense. The far that they mixed and matched the honeycomb vs linear setpiece layouts throughout was a great balance and kept it interesting.

I hope in the inevitable sequel they take it a step further with the area design and do stuff like having the levels slowly evolve over time. I kept waiting for that ice to finally break and reveal a new shortcut between those areas, as well as maybe a deeper area below the Ice Caves. When you head back to the two planets with built in "breaks" to the story, I had similarly hoped that more than just the spawns would change and some of the areas would actually change around and evolve with the story. That sorta stuff would be rad.

The level design was indeed impressive and well done. I did find Zeffo to be a *little* bit too large and would've appreciated less there and a bit more on other planets though. Even with the best 3D map since Splinter Cell it could get confusing since you could uncover all parts quite some time before you got the necessary powers to complete those areas.

Also I think environment design in general from a visual and game flow pov was very well done.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2019/10/19/star-wars-jedi-fallen-order-difficulty/amp/

Source, re: Jedi Master being the difficulty level it was designed around. GM is the "even harder" mode they mention. The extra difficulty modes were added literally 6 months ago, after the game was basically 95% finished.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
The only thing I disliked about the maps was not being able to toggle off areas in the holomap to see a clear view of where you want to go and how to get there, and no fast travel back to the ship. Zeffo and Bogano were the worst for this because you can easily start running in circles, especially before all your upgrades are unlocked.

I'm near the end of the game fighting the boss 2nd sister to get the holocron in the inquisitor stronghold

Got them down to about 1/4 health before getting my rear end whooped because I ran out of stims. I had 8 of the fuckers, but one mistake and there goes half my health.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Imo the one thing the maps needed is multiple landing pads per planet, Metroid Prime 3 style. Three on Zeffo, two each on Kashyyk and Dathomir.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Sometimes I wish there was a really slow health regen or healing from combat, or something. I just spent a tense few minutes with literally one pixel on my health bar, sneaking around and trying to take out the occasional lone enemy while hoping to find a mediation point, then NOPE, pre-boss enemy mob just drops in and stomps me and I'm doing that whole long section again :sigh:

On a related note, some of the checkpointing decisions in this game are......questionable.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

With the caveat that the easiest boss in Sekiro is still harder than the hardest boss on Jedi Grandmaster
no way. and this is actually a problem IMO. trilla on normal took more attempts than many sekiro bosses, for me. Almost all of fallen order was no where near as punishing as most of sekiro and I think this is a problem. The hardest moments were mostly at the end of the dumb "arena' encounters which had multiple waves of trash enemies that would have to be repeated on failure - when I died on the bounty hunter kidnap level arena on the final bounty hunter wave I was ready to curse this game if it didn't respawn me on the boss Difficulty by attrition made hugely easier by finding hidden estes unlocks is bad design - made even more trivial by fully refilling your force power from a talent... very bad. I wouldn't be surprised if many players get "appropriately gendered sexual organ - blocked" at this point given the shockingly low percentage of players that get past all kinds of low hanging gates in other games.

haldolium posted:

yeah those are one part why I think a different base combat mechanic would've been better. Souls (and alike) profit mostly from something between human size to skyscraper, and in god of war or dmc you have a lot more critter contact. Having those animals in the game was a great descision imo because it did create much more diversity as fighting the empire or some humanoid tribes all day long, but they did not fare too well with the combat system.

Bust Rodd posted:

I would argue that the little waist high space animals are a total failure. They are just annoying to fight, it feels bad to kill animals for no reason, and once you unlock the DBL they are just combat white noise that pose literally no challenge. I couldn't believe their insistence on including them all the way to the very end.
yeah! In a souls-like you cannot have enemies like this. In sekiro you have the monkies which are sort of similar but if you don't stealth them they can really kick your arse so they are put in places that are congruent with this and you have to play around them. OR. You don't see enemies this trivial because they are just unrewarding. I guess in dark souls 3 you have the zombie enemies but they are mixed into more significant enemies to create positioning problems. Sitting in a doorway while a big ogre enemy kills all the dumbass trash mobs in JFO doesn't really work the same way.

tl;dr - Every single time one of those mole-rat fucks spawns out of a wall and does 1/15th of your HP after you walked past its spawn hole its not remotely rewarding to light attack 3 times... its a speed bump.

They should have replaced all of the mole-rat, snivveling snot-spiders and grub-dogs with rescaled model and HP versions of the big spider and big toad. There is a reason why the dog enemies in sekiro feel good and its because their leap into parry-reversal feels good. Hold block until the lovely spider-thing has finished attacking does not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

The Order 66 sequence was unexpectedly good, I was not expecting that much from it.
Also, pink lightsaber to go with my pink-striped droid :getin: