Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Scruffpuff posted:

I got you on this one - although I'm sure Chris doesn't know either. Heat can only transfer via conduction (physical contact), convection (gaseous contact), or radiation (very slow, almost attrition approach.) Space isn't "cold" per se - it has no temperature at all. If I heated up a rock and put it out in space, 15 minutes later it would still be warm. There's literally nowhere for the heat to go. What makes a planet cold is the temperature of the atmosphere. If it's -100 degrees, and you walk your rear end out into it unprotected, the heat in your body, via convection, instantly departs to attempt to reach equilibrium with the surrounding temperature.

The effect of objects with fluidity freezing in space is due to the actions of liquid in a vacuum. Liquids "boil off" in a vacuum, which is a reaction that runs off heat, leaving the object it boiled off (like a person) cold or frozen.

Again, Chris does not know this poo poo.

Most sci-fi movies get this wrong, and everything Chris knows about space comes from movies.

Literally everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koil
Jun 24, 2005

two weeks

Viscous Soda posted:

Is... Is that real?

I mean, we know there are/were goons on the team thanks to the :iiam: printout.

I believe it is. The image is from CIG twitter account: https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/1198365795643985921

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Scruffpuff posted:

I got you on this one - although I'm sure Chris doesn't know either. Heat can only transfer via conduction (physical contact), convection (gaseous contact), or radiation (very slow, almost attrition approach.) Space isn't "cold" per se - it has no temperature at all. If I heated up a rock and put it out in space, 15 minutes later it would still be warm. There's literally nowhere for the heat to go. What makes a planet cold is the temperature of the atmosphere. If it's -100 degrees, and you walk your rear end out into it unprotected, the heat in your body, via convection, instantly departs to attempt to reach equilibrium with the surrounding temperature.

The effect of objects with fluidity freezing in space is due to the actions of liquid in a vacuum. Liquids "boil off" in a vacuum, which is a reaction that runs off heat, leaving the object it boiled off (like a person) cold or frozen.

Again, Chris does not know this poo poo.

Coincidentally, the guy was running around without a helmet, breathing and having a good time in a -130°C environment. Part of “breath” is this thing called CO₂. CO₂ in a -130°C environment has a fairly commonly known name that most high-schoolers will be familiar with. If their teachers are any good, these high-schoolers might also be familiar with the safety tip not to shove dry ice down your lungs…

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Koil posted:

Citcon in 3 images:

This might be humanity's greatest achievement.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer
i also liked that he had a body temperature of 28 degrees C

now i'm no doctor but that says unconcious or dead to me, way before you get down to 28

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Koil posted:

I believe it is. The image is from CIG twitter account: https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/1198365795643985921

:vince:

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Koil posted:

Oh wow. These here the one and only MVP for todays show.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Koil posted:

:lol:

This is beautiful

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Koil posted:

:gary:

bbchops
Jul 26, 2001

Ho ho ho! I'll have the same again!
Nap Ghost
What did I miss? WHAT DID I MISS?

bbchops
Jul 26, 2001

Nap Ghost

Koil posted:

Citcon in 3 images:

Oh my

Scruffyhawk
Jun 30, 2005

FHNNNNNNN
Ramrod XTreme

bbchops posted:

What did I miss? WHAT DID I MISS?

Star Citizen came out and is good!

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer
bag man true mvp of the con

bbchops
Jul 26, 2001

Nap Ghost

Scruffyhawk posted:

Star Citizen came out and is good!

finally

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
This is my speculation but.

I wonder if Chris is getting pushed to the side at this point. He rarely makes appearances anymore and his convention keynote he seemed to just want it to be done with. Perhaps he is growing tired of the project himself and wants to move on. 7 years is a long time and it's nowhere near complete, he's probably starting to feel at least a little pressure to wrap it up.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
"You will have to eat, you will have to drink to stay alive. Again, we're not trying to make it where you have to do it every hour, but it is part of survival"

WHAT DOES THAT MEAN

If not every hour, then.... what? If its not every X, then you don't have to do it to stay alive.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Koil posted:

Oh my god.

Star Citizen is a endless engine of mirth.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Popete posted:

I wonder if Chris is getting pushed to the side at this point. He rarely makes appearances anymore and his convention keynote he seemed to just want it to be done with. Perhaps he is growing tired of the project himself and wants to move on. 7 years is a long time and it's nowhere near complete, he's probably starting to feel at least a little pressure to wrap it up.

Begging Phil Spencer to bail him out.

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012

Popete posted:

He doesn't need this poo poo anymore. He has a multimillion dollar mansion and probably a few million more secured in his trust fund. Why bother with appeasing nerds when you're already set for life?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Koil posted:

:laffo:

I'm laughing so hard right now my stomach hurts. I want to know who helped work on that mosaic and slipped that in there. This is absolutely perfect. Worth the price of admission 100%.

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

Popete posted:

He's going to try his hand in Hollywood again. It's got to be easier than slaving over a keyboard all day and night as a AAA game coder.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

So, is there a summary post of what happened at Citcon that someone can link me to? I want a quick laugh and don't have time to read 1k posts at the moment.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Regrettable posted:

So, is there a summary post of what happened at Citcon that someone can link me to? I want a quick laugh and don't have time to read 1k posts at the moment.

Just read this page.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Scruffpuff posted:

Just read this page.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

I did and there's nothing on it aside from a mosaic that i have zero context for?

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/giogetmoneyTV/status/1198377306542268427

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Erenthal posted:

bag man true mvp of the con

May not be the MVP we wanted, but the MVP we deserved.

God speed bagman.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Regrettable posted:

I did and there's nothing on it aside from a mosaic that i have zero context for?

Someone slipped this into the mosaic:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Regrettable posted:

This is an accurate summary.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Koil posted:

Citcon in 3 images:

It's all been worth it.
8 gruelling, joyless years has finally loving paid off

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Scruffpuff posted:

Someone slipped this into the mosaic:

:five:

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I watched the first half of the gameplay demo, that was much too exciting for me. Large-scale shadow maps? Algorithmically-distributed pine trees? Realistic jacket crumpling? Hot breath?

Goodness me, I can only hope that the second part is a bit more understated or my heart might explode.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Also a big thank you to the internet in general for the fact that I get page one image results on Google for the search term "Crobear."

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Regrettable posted:

yeah they showed nothing. the secret bear is about the best/funniest thing to happen

most of the posts are me just bored out of my loving mind

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWeDFJObwC8

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

TheAgent posted:

yeah they showed nothing. the secret bear is about the best/funniest thing to happen

most of the posts are me just bored out of my loving mind

Squadron 42 Episode 2: The Secret Bear

bbchops
Jul 26, 2001

Nap Ghost

Hahahahahaha, of course.

What a dipshit.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I hope they sell the mosaic as hangar flair.

What a great week between this tire fire and a literally firetruck fire with Musk.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Beet Wagon posted:

I stopped watching this banu poo poo, I'm still laughing about the loving battlefield clone. Someone wake me up for the keynote

Has the battlefield clone been on any of their timelines put out in the last 9 months?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Bagman and Bearman are the heroes we deserve for putting up with this tripe. I'd never seen any CitizenCons before; i hope the previous ones were not this shockingly bad. Occasional nice VFX could not make up for the constant blunders.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Nov 24, 2019