Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I played a ridiculous amount of the G-Police demo back in the day but never got the full game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
I just had a memory of a polygonal space combat sim I got off my BBS back in the early-mid 90s. I don't remember textures. I thought it was named something like "Geometry Wars" or "Grid Wars" but apparently I'm mixing that up with a far newer game.

Fake edit: LINE WARS! Posting this anyway to spread awareness.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I played a ridiculous amount of the G-Police demo back in the day but never got the full game

I played the Daggerfall demo for like 3 years :hfive:.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Shine posted:

I played the Daggerfall demo for like 3 years :hfive:.

Same! The island of Betony was larger than most full-priced games.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Same! The island of Betony was larger than most full-priced games.

Yeah, I remember playing the full game years later and feeling like, drat, seems like the biggest difference is the existence of the main quest line, which I never cared about.

Man, I robbed The Champion Smithy so many times...

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Shine posted:

Yeah, I remember playing the full game years later and feeling like, drat, seems like the biggest difference is the existence of the main quest line, which I never cared about.

Man, I robbed The Champion Smithy so many times...

Have you heard about Daggerfall Unity? It's practically done, and is fantastic.

https://twitter.com/gav_clayton?s=09

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

dads_work_files posted:

https://youtu.be/SANz4as-vKw

It's striking how aesthetically similar it is to Starship Titanic.

:eyepop: thanks!!

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Have you heard about Daggerfall Unity? It's practically done, and is fantastic.

https://twitter.com/gav_clayton?s=09

I'd not, and that's cool as poo poo!

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Xbox 360

Mr. Dick remembers playing the demo, not sure it ever got released though.

3d puzzle-ish platformer, kid and a monster. Demo consisted of escaping a cave by pushing blocks, giving leg-ups and pulling levers, puzzle platform stuff.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Mr. Dick posted:

Xbox 360

3d puzzle-ish platformer, kid and a monster. Demo consisted of escaping a cave by pushing blocks, giving leg-ups and pulling levers, puzzle platform stuff.

Not what you're thinking of, but there's a great VR game, Carly & the Reaperman, in which one player (sitting at the monitor) plays a 3d platformer, and is assisted by the VR player, who is a giant ghostly being who moves blocks and poo poo around to make paths, and points out things that the screen player can't see. It's great to play with family.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mr. Dick posted:

Xbox 360

Sounds like Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I remember playing a game, somewhere in the early 2000's, that was a top down shooter with pretty simple/blocky graphics where you were part of some anti-terrorist team and the objective on each map was to kill every enemy on the map. The interesting thing about the game was that there were always a lot of allied and enemy soldiers, including vehicles like tanks and hovercraft and maybe even mechs, that were would basically fight a massive battle out on each map.

Often you had to just survive the intense crossfire at the start of each map and then fight through the wreckage and finish off survivors while figuring out how not to get murdered by an enemy tank that survived the main fight.

Your allies were always blue and enemies always red, I wish I could remember more.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Kind of sounds like Future Cop LAPD

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I should have clarified, it was either pixel graphics or at least mspaint level graphics.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Carcer posted:

I should have clarified, it was either pixel graphics or at least mspaint level graphics.

Does this look familiar?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEqoFgXYoIY

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Carcer posted:

I remember playing a game, somewhere in the early 2000's, that was a top down shooter with pretty simple/blocky graphics where you were part of some anti-terrorist team and the objective on each map was to kill every enemy on the map. The interesting thing about the game was that there were always a lot of allied and enemy soldiers, including vehicles like tanks and hovercraft and maybe even mechs, that were would basically fight a massive battle out on each map.

Often you had to just survive the intense crossfire at the start of each map and then fight through the wreckage and finish off survivors while figuring out how not to get murdered by an enemy tank that survived the main fight.

Your allies were always blue and enemies always red, I wish I could remember more.

Your allies were usually green, but could it have been Meteor 1/2?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Fj63K0-XSo

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

THE BAR posted:

Your allies were usually green, but could it have been Meteor 1/2?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Fj63K0-XSo

It's this, thank you!

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Carcer posted:

It's this, thank you!

I had so much fun making maps in that thing. It was easy to make ridiculous scripts, like my attempt at recreating that "Life of a Peasant" custom map from Warcraft 3.

E:

Site's still up. I made the mistake of looking up my almost two decades old posts. I was a very dull child.

http://www.jbplay.com/

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Nov 22, 2019

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
This would have been on the Commodore 64. What I remember most about it is that it played from a first-person perspective, albeit not true 3D of course -- instead you'd transition between scenes by interacting with doors (maybe by clicking on them?), and within a scene sometimes you could scroll left/right. I also remember that you had a basic claw-looking thing by default, though you could also find some guns. My impression is that you were in a space suit or environment suit or something like that, but it's also possible you played as a robot or an alien. I never got very far.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

This would have been on the Commodore 64. What I remember most about it is that it played from a first-person perspective, albeit not true 3D of course -- instead you'd transition between scenes by interacting with doors (maybe by clicking on them?), and within a scene sometimes you could scroll left/right. I also remember that you had a basic claw-looking thing by default, though you could also find some guns. My impression is that you were in a space suit or environment suit or something like that, but it's also possible you played as a robot or an alien. I never got very far.

This kinda/sorta reminds me of Aliens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKq1b9CzToE

EDIT: The first part of that game (3:30) is a blatant ripoff of Master of the Lamps, or vice versa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJwxNJl_XzY&t=621s

Gynovore fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Nov 23, 2019

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Sorry, to be clear: the scenery was static. Think like if you tried to render an adventure game scene from first person. No little avatar of the player wandering around the scene, just a big ol' claw reaching into it, and you transitioned between rooms by interacting with doors.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
One of those MacVenture games? I see that Uninvited had a C64 version.

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747

al-azad posted:

Sounds like Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom.

Yes, thank you.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Back around 1999-2000, I "played" a game that was a virtual chat room thing. The graphics were similar to original DOOM, with sprite avatars in a 2.5D space. I think you started out on an asteroid or the moon that had little rooms where you could change your avatar. There was also a house that kinda looked like the one from the Windows 98 screen saver, you could walk around. I also remember there being an area with rooms for chatting themed for good things(i.e cats) or bad things(i.e. the pox) with bad MS paint art on the walls. There was an elevator that would take you to these various areas. I don't think it was AOL or Prodigy exclusive as the relatives who had the game installed didn't use those services.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Oh no!!!! Axe cut you!!!!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Maigius posted:

Back around 1999-2000, I "played" a game that was a virtual chat room thing. The graphics were similar to original DOOM, with sprite avatars in a 2.5D space. I think you started out on an asteroid or the moon that had little rooms where you could change your avatar. There was also a house that kinda looked like the one from the Windows 98 screen saver, you could walk around. I also remember there being an area with rooms for chatting themed for good things(i.e cats) or bad things(i.e. the pox) with bad MS paint art on the walls. There was an elevator that would take you to these various areas. I don't think it was AOL or Prodigy exclusive as the relatives who had the game installed didn't use those services.

Sounds like World’s Chat which is somehow still active.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I don't think so? I don't remember there being much text. Then again I was a little kid so it's entirely possible I didn't read any text.

I do remember a human-shaped sprite walking back and forth in realtime in one room, and you could use a gun to kill it. I remember trying to kill it with the claw and not having much luck. I'm not sure it was actually hostile, given that I was able to just stand around in the room and experiment.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

This would have been on the Commodore 64. What I remember most about it is that it played from a first-person perspective, albeit not true 3D of course -- instead you'd transition between scenes by interacting with doors (maybe by clicking on them?)

You say "of course", but in trying to find something like this I instead found The Eidolon and it is bonkers that they got this out of the bitmap display on that thing.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

ManxomeBromide posted:

You say "of course", but in trying to find something like this I instead found The Eidolon and it is bonkers that they got this out of the bitmap display on that thing.

Wow, I somehow never played this one, but those graphics instantly made me think of Rescue on Fractalus, which, as it turns out, is not surprising seeing as they were both made by LucasFilm Games around the same time.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Good lord, those are both really impressive considering the hardware.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Seriously, they're something I might've expected to see made by demoscene wizards years after the C64 died, rather than games that were actually made in the mid-'80s. How the gently caress is Rescue on Fractalus older than me, and how have I never heard of it before?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

I played it when I was like 6, and my favorite thing to do was ignite the thrusters when someone knocked on my door, frying them.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

There is an old racing or car themed game with super stylish low poly character (person not car) graphics that still look great now. Does that ring a bell with anyone?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

There is an old racing or car themed game with super stylish low poly character (person not car) graphics that still look great now. Does that ring a bell with anyone?

Year'ish/system?

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Shine posted:

Year'ish/system?

Wish I could remember. Maybe 90s and console? But I’m really not sure.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

If the character graphics are in cutscenes and not in-game, maybe Interstate '76?

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
If it's real cars, maybe Test Drive?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Interstate 76 loving owned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfAHtdMWcMA

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
I will contend that the best thing about I76 was the button that made your buddy Taurus recite one of his many poems over the CB.

a wheel is forever
a car is infinity times four

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Shine posted:

I played it when I was like 6, and my favorite thing to do was ignite the thrusters when someone knocked on my door, frying them.

I liked how if you didn't let pilots in straight away, their knocking would become increasingly weaker and slower (as they ran out of air or succumbed to their injuries I guess), and then if you suddenly let them in at the last second, instead of the usual rapid footsteps, you could hear them slowly limping onboard, half-dead, making you feel guilty for being such a prick. It doesn't seem like much now, but at the time I remember thinking it was a pretty incredible level of detail and immersion for a game.

Drunk in Space fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Nov 24, 2019