Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
But are you wearing a pink poncho?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Dogen posted:

Hell yes

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Dogen posted:

Absolutely :hellyeah:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Still working my way through, hoping for a lightsaber material that's solid loving gold.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Zeroisanumber posted:

Still working my way through, hoping for a lightsaber material that's solid loving gold.

I've found like 3 that are shades of gold

The saber customizing is addictive

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Pink blade, cyan metal = Miami Vice saber

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I used dolomite, it's such a vivid red. There are some good greens and blues too

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Madurai posted:

:hmmyes:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Hell yeah I just unlocked the double jump finally

Now to finish this mission so I can go delay the story by going and grabbing a ton of collectibles

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

Hell yeah I just unlocked the double jump finally

Now to finish this mission so I can go delay the story by going and grabbing a ton of collectibles

There's still an improved climbing upgrade on dathomire

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

7 hours in and I just learned the map tells you how many chests are in a specific area

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Soonmot posted:

There's still an improved climbing upgrade on dathomire

Yeah but as far as I can tell that's just necessary on Dathomir. Speeds up other bits but doesn't unlock anything.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Madurai posted:

this actually sorta works

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

:eyepop:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Imo the combat in this game is extremely good against humanoids, just mediocre against animals.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Captain Hygiene posted:

The Order 66 sequence was unexpectedly good, I was not expecting that much from it.
Also, pink lightsaber to go with my pink-striped droid :getin:

yeah, like like no wonder cal has super PTSD and survivors guilt, like gently caress me, that was pretty intense.

SirSamVimes posted:

Imo the combat in this game is extremely good against humanoids, just mediocre against animals.

i feel like parry and block dont work as well as they should in general. guess the sequel will fix that.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Did I miss something or do we never get any info on what happened to Eno Cordova?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Well I beat it a second time. I have to say it felt good to run back through on Master again and just wreck everyone and blow past every trouble spot. Particularly the duels against the inquisitors were trivial.

Drakhoran posted:

Did I miss something or do we never get any info on what happened to Eno Cordova?

Nope

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

There is a weirdly huge amount of dialogue between the characters that most people probably won’t ever hear. A lot of it seems to be random (getting dialogue about if I know how good a cook Greez is despite knowing that for the entire game) so you won’t hear the same stuff in the same order if you replayed and they’ve got enough for people who will be moving around post-plot but still, it’s a lot. I finished Dathomir and considering what the end of that planet gets you there’s even a lot of dialogue specifically for that. I’m hopping between planets before heading back to Bogano for what I assume is the end game and I haven’t run out yet.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
If your having trouble with parry timings on ps4 pro or xbox one x I'd strongly recommend the performance mode

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

So, final thoughts on it: flawed but good. I liked it a lot and have recommended it to friends, but the flaws holds it back from being a "best of" contender. It gave me that Star Wars feeling in a good single player campaign that I've wanted for years, and the gameplay was good enough to support that (but, because of my issues with it, not enough to support immediately going back and finding stuff I'd missed just for the fun of it).

The biggest flaw was the lack of fast travel, I'd be so much more invested in exploring and backtracking in this style of map if that were an option. I would've appreciated more focus on fighting troops than animals, and combat timing was sometimes finicky - it didn't affect me much, but I could see valid complaints from everyone on higher levels. The performance issues seemed overblown - occasional lower framerate, weird textures and facial animations, and fairly long load times, but nothing bad enough to get in the way of enjoyment. Compare to, say, Control, which had actual slowdown and horrendous load times that were worth complaining about*, this one was basically fine.

I guess overall it's right on the border of good and great, given the amount of fun I had with it. I had fun and will play through again eventually, more than anything it successfully scratches that SW itch I've had. But it also gives me hope for a sequel - they're 90% of the way there, a sequel polishing those rough edges (and adding stuff like something more than ponchos and paint jobs to collect) and it'll easily be a GOTY contender.

*to clarify, I also think Control is my favorite of the year, a good example of the core game being strong enough to overcome those substantial flaws

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

Kibayasu posted:

There is a weirdly huge amount of dialogue between the characters that most people probably won’t ever hear. A lot of it seems to be random (getting dialogue about if I know how good a cook Greez is despite knowing that for the entire game) so you won’t hear the same stuff in the same order if you replayed and they’ve got enough for people who will be moving around post-plot but still, it’s a lot. I finished Dathomir and considering what the end of that planet gets you there’s even a lot of dialogue specifically for that. I’m hopping between planets before heading back to Bogano for what I assume is the end game and I haven’t run out yet.

One of the silliest things is walking up to people, initiating dramatic conversations, and then immediately walking away while Cal pulls out CANNED_DIALOGUE_INTERRUPT_07.

Random Rebel (crying, huddled in corner): I was beginning to think all hope was lost. Everyone I knew and loved was...

Cal (moonwalking away): Let's chat about this later bro! Byyyye!

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Spoil something for me please:

I just finished my lightsaber business at Ilum and the sickly beige blob that pilots the ship said something like "hey wasnt there a huge crashed ship at Zeffo??? wonder if it has any loot hint hint?" to which i replied "LOL YEAH LET ME PAD OUT THIS GAME FOR SOME XP ORBS AND PONCHO MATERIALS, NOT" and flew to Dathomir. What's in the crashed ship at Zeffo? The only thing that could interest me at this point is red colored lightsaber, sick bossbattle or some more AT-AT action.

It's such a loving long level to trek through too.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Those of you with the Steam version...how obtrusive is the Origin integration?

Since there are no Steam cheevos, do they unlock on Origin?

I'm debating on buying it outright on Steam OR subbing to Origin for a month for Premier. I recognize this is a "one and done" kind of game, with no NG+, but I'd also like to show EA that single player, no mtx, Star Wars games have a market and should be rewarded.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Dongattack posted:

I just finished my lightsaber business at Ilum and the sickly beige blob that pilots the ship said something like "hey wasnt there a huge crashed ship at Zeffo??? wonder if it has any loot hint hint?" to which i replied "LOL YEAH LET ME PAD OUT THIS GAME FOR SOME XP ORBS AND PONCHO MATERIALS, NOT" and flew to Dathomir. What's in the crashed ship at Zeffo? The only thing that could interest me at this point is red colored lightsaber, sick bossbattle or some more AT-AT action.

None of those, it's just a neat area to roll through with extra story you learn through scans and echoes

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

SirSamVimes posted:

None of those, it's just a neat area to roll through with extra story you learn through scans and echoes

Ah okay, maybe if i crave some more game after finishing it then, cheers.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The loot is the usual crap but it does scratch the exploration itch very nicely.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
You get another stim, so the loot isn't total crap, not by a long shot. Also the area has a cool design and there's some neat puzzles.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Anti-Hero posted:

Those of you with the Steam version...how obtrusive is the Origin integration?

Since there are no Steam cheevos, do they unlock on Origin?

I'm debating on buying it outright on Steam OR subbing to Origin for a month for Premier. I recognize this is a "one and done" kind of game, with no NG+, but I'd also like to show EA that single player, no mtx, Star Wars games have a market and should be rewarded.

No real issue other than origin popping up for a second after you launch it.

Though I did encounter difficulties when the game got the patch as Steam didn’t acknowledge it so clicking the ‘Play’ button on Steam ‘launched’ it but then no action took place and it didn’t give any message as to why.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Dathomir is a real exercise in stretching what's believable impediment when it comes to paths in certain areas.

Like, oh no the door way is blocked by...wooden bars. Enforced with...uh metal shackles or whatever. If I only had something that could cut through this material. :confused:

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

moosecow333 posted:

No real issue other than origin popping up for a second after you launch it.

Though I did encounter difficulties when the game got the patch as Steam didn’t acknowledge it so clicking the ‘Play’ button on Steam ‘launched’ it but then no action took place and it didn’t give any message as to why.

So did you have to go into Origin for the patching?

Do cheevos unlock on Origin?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Dongattack posted:

There is nothing interesting in the crashed ship.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

You get a stim at the end.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
If you needed more than six stims on Grandmaster that would be cool I guess. I'd already opened the stim box before doing the section (I went back post game to look at it), so you can obviously get it without climbing around the ship.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I have 4 stims :buddy:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I like the ship, it has a little bit more of Carl’s reflection on being a padawan and order 66

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Beat the game. I understand what they were going for in the ending but destroying the holocron still felt a little abrupt. Everyone silently agreed that this is what needed to be done but aside from Cal’s visions there wasn’t really much to suggest the other characters would agree. So I guess the problem is less for the player and more for the in-universe explanation.

I also think that the latest Star Wars stuff turning Vader into some unstoppable dervish of destruction that can tear anything in his way literally apart continues to feel off but you do need that wall running in the final section I suppose. Nothing will ever be as bad as pulling a star destroyer out of the sky.

Also I ended the game with basically no health (would have been very funny if that final regular stormtrooper before the lift managed to hit me) and the low health heartbeat effect/sound persisted throughout the credits.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Kibayasu posted:

Beat the game. I understand what they were going for in the ending but destroying the holocron still felt a little abrupt. Everyone silently agreed that this is what needed to be done but aside from Cal’s visions there wasn’t really much to suggest the other characters would agree. So I guess the problem is less for the player and more for the in-universe explanation.

I also think that the latest Star Wars stuff turning Vader into some unstoppable dervish of destruction that can tear anything in his way literally apart continues to feel off but you do need that wall running in the final section I suppose. Nothing will ever be as bad as pulling a star destroyer out of the sky.

Also I ended the game with basically no health (would have been very funny if that final regular stormtrooper before the lift managed to hit me) and the low health heartbeat effect/sound persisted throughout the credits.

It was more that they all trusted Cal's decision at that point.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Finished this game today. I liked it a lot! I just wish there were more awesome and varied lightsaber duels, but that last one was a hell of a fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Tarezax posted:

Finished this game today. I liked it a lot! I just wish there were more awesome and varied lightsaber duels

Yeah, honestly some part of me was disappointed there were just 2 Inquisitors when that would've been perfect to have a freakshow boss squad of Inquisitors for you to fight.