Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

This is something I've had a problem with when people describe military service as a "sacrifice". It's really not when a ton of people are singing up for anything but altruistic or patriotic motives. If you're doing it for the GI Bill or as a resumé builder, it's not really a sacrifice, is it?

A Bad Poster fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Nov 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

A Bad Poster posted:

This is something I've had a problem with when people describe military service as a "sacrifice". It's really not when a ton of people are singing up for anything but altruistic or patriotic motives. If you're doing it for the GI Bill or as a resumé builder, it's not really a sacrifice, is it?

All got some, some got all.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I went into the merchant marine because I didn’t have the math scores to get into anything better, and the pay check was good.

Nobody thanks me for my service. Ungrateful capitalists.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I pretty much got in because it looked cool in video games

My dumb rear end didn't believe in anything back then, I wore this to the recruiters office ffs

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Nov 23, 2019

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Slim Pickens posted:

My dumb rear end didn't believe in anything back then, I wore this to the recruiters office ffs

Why do you have a Josh Brolin t-shirt?

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code
I've found that anyone who joined to "serve their country" or because "some planes flew into some towers" (actual quote) is usually a huge douche. Most of us joined for the college money, jobs at home were poo poo or I knew a few joined to prove something to their (rich) parents.
I would still call it a sacrifice, you are basically putting your life on hold for some sort of pay off that these days isn't worth quite as much as it used to. I couldn't get student loans back in the early 2000's, it was really my only chance at a future. And of course then there's the Forever War ruining lives.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Civic service is important to me but the way you do it less so. I don’t think any less of a teacher than I do a sailor.

Guys picking up poop in public parks? They need a parade.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

LingcodKilla posted:

Civic service is important to me but the way you do it less so. I don’t think any less of a teacher than I do a sailor.

This. 1000 times this.

Iain posted:

I've found that anyone who joined to "serve their country" or because "some planes flew into some towers" (actual quote) is usually a huge douche.
Maybe it's a post 9/11 thing. Maybe it's just you.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Pictured: probably most of us, including me needing college money:

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

BigDave posted:

Why do you have a Josh Brolin t-shirt?

Because he's not the president, duh.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Iain posted:

I've found that anyone who joined to "serve their country" or because "some planes flew into some towers" (actual quote) is usually a huge douche.

But enough about Chris Kyle

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

LingcodKilla posted:

Ya. I’m a strong believer that civic service, whatever it may be is a noble and good thing for society. All of them, not just ARE TROOPS.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

This discussion is interesting, but ultimately irrelevant when it comes to Mayor Pete. He worked for McKinsey for years doing (his words) "economic development in war zones", so he's an actual CIA agent running for president.

So the answer to question of "why Pete served" is

"my handler told me to as phase one of the plan"

:tinfoil:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Pryor on Fire posted:

This discussion is interesting, but ultimately irrelevant when it comes to Mayor Pete. He worked for McKinsey for years doing (his words) "economic development in war zones", so he's an actual CIA agent running for president.

Imagine if the guy that ran the CIA became president

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
In other recent news,

:mcnally:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

McNally posted:

In other recent news,

I...don't know what to think of that :stare:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

McNally posted:

In other recent news,

:mcnally: :gizz:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

That Works posted:

Imagine if the guy that ran the CIA became president

He’d be lucky to make it one term.
:mcnally::boom:

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

McNally posted:

In other recent news,

hahahaha :D

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Pryor on Fire posted:

Signing up for McKinsey today.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Justice Ginsburg has been admitted to a hospital with fever and chills.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Icon Of Sin posted:

I...don't know what to think of that :stare:

:stwoon:?

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Justice Ginsburg has been admitted to a hospital with fever and chills.

So while on one hand I’m looking forward to McConnell slipping a disc from all the backflips he’s going to do in reversing his 2016 position in that a president shouldn’t get to appoint a justice during an election year, I must say I’m also going to be a bit miffed at RBG for not resigning during Obama’s presidency when appointing a liberal successor would have been much, much easier than it will be now.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

The only way he would have gotten a replacement for her in is if she had reaigned day 1 of his presidency.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
*ginsburg resigns*
Dems: In the interest of bipartisanship,

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

pantslesswithwolves posted:

So while on one hand I’m looking forward to McConnell slipping a disc from all the backflips he’s going to do in reversing his 2016 position in that a president shouldn’t get to appoint a justice during an election year, I must say I’m also going to be a bit miffed at RBG for not resigning during Obama’s presidency when appointing a liberal successor would have been much, much easier than it will be now.

She's a tough old nut, I bet she makes it past 2020

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Milo and POTUS posted:

*ginsburg resigns*
Dems: In the interest of bipartisanship,

By a 61-39 vote, Amy Coney Barrett is confirmed as the next Justice of the Supreme Court.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Slim Pickens posted:

Two people in my squadron had the Gaius Baltar version of this. :lol:

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Godholio posted:

Two people in my squadron had the Gaius Baltar version of this. :lol:

Hey man. gently caress Gaius Baltar.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Bored As gently caress posted:

Hey man. gently caress Gaius Baltar.

Many did

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Lay off baltar dudes

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

:metis:

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

Slim Pickens posted:

Lay off baltar dudes

A shame they stopped making shirts, bunch of out of print ones I wanted.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

some dumbnuts sovcit in new york has been in a standoff with the cops for hours and posting it on instagram. The replies are great and full of people who should be on a watch list self-identifying and trying to talk each other into strapping up and going to his house to "help".

https://www.instagram.com/whiskey_warrior_556/

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Nov 24, 2019

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

shame on an IGA posted:

some dumbnuts sovcit in new york has been in a standoff with the cops for hours and posting it on instagram. The replies are great and full of people who should be on a watch list self-identifying and trying to talk each other into strapping up and going to his house to "help".

He's going to give up within four hours of them shutting his internet off.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Uhhhhhhhhh

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

shame on an IGA posted:

That Hitler quote isn't real.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Casimir Radon posted:

That Hitler quote isn't real.

Adolf Hitler posted:

I never said that, I said we need to invade the Soviet Union.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

shame on an IGA posted:

Apparently violating a domestic order of protection is a "red flag law" now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Smiling Jack posted:

Apparently violating a domestic order of protection is a "red flag law" now.
You can't take away mah guns just because some whore lied! How am I gonna make sure she regrets, uh, lying?