Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Previa_fun posted:

Just waiting for those *~demographic shifts~* that will make the GOP powerless!

Well America is becoming less white and less religious rapidly. The GOP has done themselves no favors for the future.

Granted if the nightmare scenario happens one would think that we would see California at the very least look to leave the country. But again that is nightmareland which sadly doesn’t quite seem as bonkers as it once did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

BarbarianElephant posted:

Medicare for the elderly and increasingly good medicine means we are stuck with them for the next 20 years or so.

At which point, Gen X will become the worst.

this is proxy boomer fygm poo poo.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

PhazonLink posted:

this is proxy boomer fygm poo poo.

Maybe Gen X are already the worst.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

oxsnard posted:

This is unironically true, but foolish in retrospect to have assumed it happened with Obama's election

Minorities are just as capable of being lovely right wingers as any white man. Expect a push in the future to include certain Hispanics in the white community, just as Jews, Irish, Poles ect only became white recently.

Even if that doesn't happen, 50% is not a magic number. Its perfectly possible to have white supremacy with sub 50% white population as long as white is the largest group and the other groups don't have strong solidarity. To use South Africa as an example maintaining control doesn't become impossible until your group gets down to 15%.

I don't think things will actually go that way but hoping that demographics would do the hard work for us was always a lazy pipe dream.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Otteration posted:

Tax (mostly) sans kittens, 'cause of the mycelium ITT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADrBo7u3tR4

God, I wish Ze went back to doing actual video of him talking about things. I miss his weird way of talking about poo poo that was existential but also comforting.

actual content:
https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1198422940523610112

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Spaced God posted:

God, I wish Ze went back to doing actual video of him talking about things. I miss his weird way of talking about poo poo that was existential but also comforting.

actual content:
https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1198422940523610112

For perspective this is the same as someone worth a million dollars throwing $1400 towards charity

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Cpt_Obvious posted:

This seems to be a constant source of angst for the left and democrats in general, but for entirely the wrong reason. People assume that it was incompetence which prevented the democrats from accomplishing anything meaningful. They were too dumb to pass real healthcare reform. Too dumb to pass sensible gun control. Too dumb to fix the roads, schools, and financial institutions. Too dumb to tax the rich. This is all complete nonsense.

They didn't change healthcare because they are funded by insurance companies. They didn't didn't pass gun control because they are being paid by arms dealers. They didn't fix the roads, schools, and financial institutions BECAUSE it would require taxing the rich. And guess what? They ARE the rich. Nancy Pelosi is worth over 100 million dollars. Schumer, Feinstein, every high ranking bastard with D too.

It was no mistake, they didn't do poo poo on purpose.

Pretty much all this I agree with, though I think not fighting for gun control was just spinelessness on the part of most Dems, fearing an unpopular backlash, especially since gun violence hadn't accelerated to the point it has in the last 8 years.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://twitter.com/VickyPJWard/status/1198340526606573568

https://twitter.com/noahshachtman/status/1188970260545884161?lang=en

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...1ebc_story.html

here is some more news on Nunes loving up.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

:yeshaha:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

WorldsStongestNerd posted:

Minorities are just as capable of being lovely right wingers as any white man. Expect a push in the future to include certain Hispanics in the white community, just as Jews, Irish, Poles ect only became white recently.

Even if that doesn't happen, 50% is not a magic number. Its perfectly possible to have white supremacy with sub 50% white population as long as white is the largest group and the other groups don't have strong solidarity. To use South Africa as an example maintaining control doesn't become impossible until your group gets down to 15%.

I don't think things will actually go that way but hoping that demographics would do the hard work for us was always a lazy pipe dream.

This was more my point. Demographic shifts don't mean poo poo when we keep seeing more and more blatant voter suppression

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

oxsnard posted:

That being said: Trump winning in 2020 is the end of America as we know it. It means that we collectively don't give enough of a poo poo to stop Nazis by the simple act of getting up and voting. It means the populace as a whole is irredeemable.

I often think we already are irredeemable. There is no correct way to live life, but there is a more meaningful existence than being a a mindless consumer. It's almost Black Friday, and it's a good reminder that capitalist consumerism tapped out the planet's resilience in almost 100 years and most Americans are oblivious or willfully ignorant. If we could put a fraction of that energy into political, social, and environmental awareness, we'd be in a much better place because people wouldn't need their comfort to be threatened before they cared about reality.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Julias posted:

Pretty much all this I agree with, though I think not fighting for gun control was just spinelessness on the part of most Dems, fearing an unpopular backlash, especially since gun violence hadn't accelerated to the point it has in the last 8 years.

Honestly, I think the democrats are on the take from the NRA just as much as the republicans. I can't prove it, but I know the fossil fuel industry is paying them both off, so I see no reason the gun lobby can't do the same thing.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

oxsnard posted:

Since I dealt with my depression, my outlook on life has improved markedly, and it has led me to things like volunteer work and political activism. So I'm not a doom and gloom person anymore. That being said: Trump winning in 2020 is the end of America as we know it. It means that we collectively don't give enough of a poo poo to stop Nazis by the simple act of getting up and voting. It means the populace as a whole is irredeemable. And it means violence will come.

I don't think Trump can win again though

this. if he wins again, i am probably gonna go to canada or something, idk.

but yeah, i agree, i think he is too much of a "nuisance" to win again. it won't just be a progressive(or even liberal) platform that will win, it will be that people are tired of hearing about that fucker being a dumb rear end in a top hat and embarrassing everyone. could be wrong but that last 2 elections give me hope.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat
can we wait for RBG to die before the thread loses its loving mind?

i'm pretty sure it will be a worse case scenario if she does, like whoever gets appointed will be some out and out Death Cultist Evangelical screeching about the rapture at their confirmation hearing and still get appointed but she's not dead yet, maybe she'll pull out of it. i'm honestly surprised she pulled it off this long. at least take this time to collect yourself for if / when it does happen.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Students protesting climate change stormed the field at the Yale vs Harvard football game, a game I cannot even imagine caring about, and apparently there are a lot of Americans who are viscerally enraged that they were forced to be aware of an issue.

https://twitter.com/bgrueskin/status/1198319199220879363?s=21

The comments on that tweet are toxic and a good commentary on the horrible rot that infects the citizens of this country.

ColonelMuttonchops
Feb 18, 2011

Young Orc

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Honestly, I think the democrats are on the take from the NRA just as much as the republicans. I can't prove it, but I know the fossil fuel industry is paying them both off, so I see no reason the gun lobby can't do the same thing.

I was gonna say that the NRA probably doesn't have enough money left to bribe both sides anymore, but we've got plenty of people who will sell their votes for a thousand bucks, so idk.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Rauros posted:

I often think we already are irredeemable. There is no correct way to live life, but there is a more meaningful existence than being a a mindless consumer. It's almost Black Friday, and it's a good reminder that capitalist consumerism tapped out the planet's resilience in almost 100 years and most Americans are oblivious or willfully ignorant. If we could put a fraction of that energy into political, social, and environmental awareness, we'd be in a much better place because people wouldn't need their comfort to be threatened before they cared about reality.

I think for a lot people, especially outside the US, Trump was the event horizon on the question of "Is the United States redeemable?" and the answer was a big loud screaming "NO!". Your efforts to scramble to unring the bell are commendable but the damage is permanent at this point.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

nine-gear crow posted:

I think for a lot people, especially outside the US, Trump was the event horizon on the question of "Is the United States redeemable?" and the answer was a big loud screaming "NO!". Your efforts to scramble to unring the bell are commendable but the damage is permanent at this point.

As a citizen of the United States, just let it die.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Previa_fun posted:

This was more my point. Demographic shifts don't mean poo poo when we keep seeing more and more blatant voter suppression

I think recent election results point to this dam bursting- despite their best efforts

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

somewhat. i agree some of the poo poo is permanent but its super hosed if he wins again.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Gatts posted:

W Bush suggesting dumping Social Security into the stock market. Before the housing crisis hit. They're trying, someone's trying, but it didn't happen. I think Paul Ryan also wanted to privatize it.

A plan so poorly written it would have resulted in the complete nationalization of the stock market.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Dapper_Swindler posted:

this. if he wins again, i am probably gonna go to canada or something, idk.

but yeah, i agree, i think he is too much of a "nuisance" to win again. it won't just be a progressive(or even liberal) platform that will win, it will be that people are tired of hearing about that fucker being a dumb rear end in a top hat and embarrassing everyone. could be wrong but that last 2 elections give me hope.

That's why I think there's still a chance. The ugliness and grift and exploitation has always been there. For so long the public could just ignore it because, while it was getting worse, the bad stuff was often subtle. 2016 changed all that. Trump said the quiet parts out loud. Shady and complex under the table deals became brazen corruption. Some, far too many even, embraced it. They owned calling murderous nazis very fine people. They reviled in name calling and stomping of others' rights and shameless corporate grift, because it made them feel like winners, despite their lives not tangibly improving. They won because they saw others get upset and hurt and betrayed.

Trump and his bootlickers brought it out to the front. It screams at us daily. It can't be ignored. If this isn't it, the reason for most of America, to stand up and say "enough," then that time will never come. I think we might be there. In November next year, I expect to see polling places jammed packed, with record numbers of people waiting, for hours after the polls were scheduled to close. I hope I'm not wrong, but I do have hope

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

oxsnard posted:

That's why I think there's still a chance. The ugliness and grift and exploitation has always been there. For so long the public could just ignore it because, while it was getting worse, the bad stuff was often subtle. 2016 changed all that. Trump said the quiet parts out loud. Shady and complex under the table deals became brazen corruption. Some, far too many even, embraced it. They owned calling murderous nazis very fine people. They reviled in name calling and stomping of others' rights and shameless corporate grift, because it made them feel like winners, despite their lives not tangibly improving. They won because they saw others get upset and hurt and betrayed.

Trump and his bootlickers brought it out to the front. It screams at us daily. It can't be ignored. If this isn't it, the reason for most of America, to stand up and say "enough," then that time will never come. I think we might be there. In November next year, I expect to see polling places jammed packed, with record numbers of people waiting, for hours after the polls were scheduled to close. I hope I'm not wrong, but I do have hope

and thats why i think its more of big probability of a win against trump and even the GOP in general rather than some slim chance win(still closer than any of us will like though probably) He is just disliked at best and hated at worst. if we want to talk silent majorites, i think they dislike trump, probably not for reasons we would personaly fully agree with(though i am sure many share our feelings too) but because he won't gently caress off and shut up and stop embarrassing us. the die hard base of trump isnt the majority and my guess is even some of them probably believe he is hosed come 2020 and are just enjoying the final ride. i mean yeah we shouldn't write it off as a definite win and we should try to get an actual not poo poo candidate, but i think 2016 scarred alot of people(it did me somewhat) but i think their is good reasons to hope. i mean i didnt picture we would be watching impeachment hearings and more poo poo coming out every night. does that mean the future is super bright after trump, idk, hopefully we can do alot better and actually fix poo poo with the time we are given.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Nov 24, 2019

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
With respect to RBG's health, keep in mind that if the Democrats don't control the Senate then McConnell can just refuse to replace her - thus shifting the court more conservative even under a Democratic president.

The Democrats *must* win the Senate or the court will continue to move right. There's essentially precedent at this point that Democrats must control both the presidency and the Senate to nominate anyone.

Chimp_On_Stilts fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Nov 24, 2019

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

rkajdi posted:

After the discussion that happened here early today (plus some talk with my therapist, thanks everyone here who told me to see one) I'm requesting a permaban. I get that we're all doomed and everything is going to go to poo poo, but I have to find a way to enjoy what few years are left in life until that happens. I can't do that with other sad brains here constantly revving up my stress levels. I had to call the suicide hotline for the second time regarding this thread in the last month, and that's just too much.

I'm sure YMB and the like will just use this to mock me, but I don't care. I need to reduce my stress to something I can handle, and getting away from people who are going to ruin the few precious days I have left. Thanks for the good times, but the bad ones don't make it worth it.

Godspeed friend. Godspeed.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Charge McConnell for treason for allowing Russians to build a plant in Kentucky but then not protect elections and being obstructionist. He's obviously on the take. Try him and bring him to justice.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

With respect to RBG's health, keep in mind that if the Democrats don't control the Senate then McConnell can just refuse to replace her - thus shifting the court more conservative even under a Democratic president.

The Democrats *must* win the Senate or the court will continue to move right. There's essentially precedent at this point that Democrats must control both the presidency and the Senate to nominate anyone.

The 2022 Senate map is Dem friendly enough that they might be able to take it then if they don't in 2020.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

I think recent election results point to this dam bursting- despite their best efforts

Everything is pointing to the 2020 presidential being just as difficult as the 2016 one.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Kaal posted:

Everything is pointing to the 2020 presidential being just as difficult as the 2016 one.

How exactly? i am not gonna say its gonna be easy but the last 3 years elections were all blue waves and trumps only gotten more unpopular. it also doesnt help that trumps a known quanity now instead of "unknown". plus even the lovely canidates on the dem stage are better than clinton(outside yang and gabbard)

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Gatts posted:

Charge McConnell for treason for allowing Russians to build a plant in Kentucky but then not protect elections and being obstructionist. He's obviously on the take. Try him and bring him to justice.

Tbh he's far more likely to be on the take wrt China

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Kaal posted:

Not really

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Tbh he's far more likely to be on the take wrt China

That was the most hosed up part about Don Blakenship's crazyass senate candidacy: he was saying a lot of really valid stuff about Mitch McConnell, he just buried the lede by being a gigantic gross racist about it.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Yep. Trump was obviously a garbage person, but there were some things to cling on to going into his win. I mean, he literally pissed on a Saudi Prince on Twitter. Then he immediately turned around and kissed the eing. There were other indications that he just might be a chaotic good against several long standing horrible American practices. I think lots of people just wanted to see *something* change. Instead he kept on doing all of the corrupt stuff people assume governments do, but in the most gaudy, obvious way possible.

Trump was a throw a wrench into the system vote. He ended up satisfying this wish, but not in the way many people thought he would do it. I don't know how many voters that is, but it's got to account for some of them

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I think what I'm saying is there are options. But I suppose if they go after McConnell, the Repubs will go after the Dems. So they don't want to escalate. Nevermind that the Repubs would go after the Dems anyway.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

oxsnard posted:

Yep. Trump was obviously a garbage person, but there were some things to cling on to going into his win. I mean, he literally pissed on a Saudi Prince on Twitter. Then he immediately turned around and kissed the eing. There were other indications that he just might be a chaotic good against several long standing horrible American practices. I think lots of people just wanted to see *something* change. Instead he kept on doing all of the corrupt stuff people assume governments do, but in the most gaudy, obvious way possible.

Trump was a throw a wrench into the system vote. He ended up satisfying this wish, but not in the way many people thought he would do it. I don't know how many voters that is, but it's got to account for some of them

sadly this. i think alot of people at least hoped he would at least weirdly/stupidly hoped he would some weird shittier King fisher at best and at worst he would do some ok/good poo poo that pissed the GOP off. but all he has done is burn every bridge kaiser Wilhelm 2nd style and on top of that their is not a single redeemable quality about the man who is such a incurious moronic narsist that he has pushed his brain worms into our daily lives.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Nov 24, 2019

pkay
Jan 4, 2005
"You and your ilk just made me vote downticket R in the midterms."
- a black man (- a magachud)

oxsnard posted:

No there was literally nothing good to cling on to from his win. He has been everything that anyone who wasn't an idiot said he would be. Like Trump's support has remained consistent. He is exactly who everyone thought he was and a certain segment of people love it and a certain segment of people hate it.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

For the people actually caring about the “nature” of the country, those ships sailed a long time ago (out of england filled with religious fundamentalists and capitalist slavers)

The narrative that we are still redeemable is just pathetic at this point. Why should we be? Where does that silly self importance come from? We are a colony run amuck and our conception of ourselves as influential is entirely based upon attacking other countries and then warping the meaning of what we did. Yes we had influence, but it was almost never lead by example. Our “ideals” are a cut and paste collage of marketing techniques shaped to resemble what people think were the ideals of great ancient societies which themselves collapsed.

Think about how much oxygen the USA has sucked out of universal civil rights over 200+ years. You can’t bemoan the current state of affairs in a country founded on slavery, no matter how much that society rationalizes away the basis for their expectations for life. No ethical consumption under capitalism, as it pertains to america, is more of a statement of intent than recognition of a certain futility. It’s just how it is, and these types of societies never fade quietly they go out with a bang and collapse. They believed themselves important enough to set an example for the world, and that same attitude is what justifies running everyone else over.

Im sure native people stay awake at night worrying about the soul of the nation.

pkay
Jan 4, 2005
"You and your ilk just made me vote downticket R in the midterms."
- a black man (- a magachud)

Peacoffee posted:

For the people actually caring about the “nature” of the country, those ships sailed a long time ago (out of england filled with religious fundamentalists and capitalist slavers)

The narrative that we are still redeemable is just pathetic at this point. Why should we be? Where does that silly self importance come from? We are a colony run amuck and our conception of ourselves as influential is entirely based upon attacking other countries and then warping the meaning of what we did. Yes we had influence, but it was almost never lead by example. Our “ideals” are a cut and paste collage of marketing techniques shaped to resemble what people think were the ideals of great ancient societies which themselves collapsed.

Think about how much oxygen the USA has sucked out of universal civil rights over 200+ years. You can’t bemoan the current state of affairs in a country founded on slavery, no matter how much that society rationalizes away the basis for their expectations for life. No ethical consumption under capitalism, as it pertains to america, is more of a statement of intent than recognition of a certain futility. It’s just how it is, and these types of societies never fade quietly they go out with a bang and collapse. They believed themselves important enough to set an example for the world, and that same attitude is what justifies running everyone else over.

Im sure native people stay awake at night worrying about the soul of the nation.

Here is the thing though, what do you think rises from the ashes of an American collapse? Who/What do you think occupies the power vacuum that is created with the collapse of US (and shortly thereafter western liberalism)?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Peacoffee posted:

Nuke the human race, give the dolphins a chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Demographics make the US political outlook at least somewhat optimistic as long as Republicans aren't able to aggressively above and beyond their current level continue their anti-democratic minoritan policies.

The growing concentration of voting power into the most populace states, increasing their share of the popular vote and Electoral College votes (Next census is 2020 which probably shifts some votes to the big states), and shifting demographic trends (Purple Texas) means that its possible for national level elections to become extremely uphill battles for the GOP absent them radically changing the rules (proportional EC votes in swing states like PA). Since something like the 16 most populace steps absent Texas are either Dem strongholds or lean Dem or shifting purple. Over the next 20-30 years I think Conservatives will slowly realize this and begin to readily agree to abolish the Electoral College because not doing so is less favourable to them over a long enough span of time under current trends.

The problem is it is very uneven, and 2 Senators per state means you have a lot of states which are red, staying red, or shifting red, which gives them an outsized level of influence and power nationally. Plus locally its a lot easier to take power and screw things up.

My concern would be the Republicans making a lot of last gasp authoritarian efforts, like splitting a state's EC votes to be proportional; which would hand them the election in all close elections. Instituting an "Electoral College" for local statewide elections, and stubbornly refusing to admit PR, Guam+Other Pacific Islands, and DC as states.

Then of course you have find a way to even more aggressively gerrymander and voter suppress.

I'm not sure what other procedural quasi-legal tricks they could do before resorting to violent suppression.

But if they can be prevented from all of this, if a Democrat wins in 2020 that is aggressive and proactive in preventing this; HR1 gets passed and signed into law, if RBG's seat is secured, three dem lean states added to the union and aggressive and ambitious policies are passed and implemented before the next federal election and at least major improvements underway before the first midterms, I think then yeah Demographics due act as a sort of battering ram to follow through with the breach, bursting and shattering the fortress that the GOP and Conservatives have erected since Nixon.

I think yes, there are conservative sections in the latinx and African American community but if the Republican collapse and implosion is fast enough, its too fast for them to recover by attracting Catholic and Evangelical African Americans. And your next political realignment can be more neatly between a moderate fiscally conservative small government party and a labour left leaning party, with the nativists and evangelicals ousted from relevance except as regional terrors.