Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Huh. For some reason it never occurred to me to think about it more. I always imagined with Japan's reputation of being incredibly conservative that it would just be outright barred.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

A lot of their prostitution is "prostitution for Japanese only" and then "for Japanese speakers only" and then "everyone else." From my experiences with speaking to older Japanese men, the former two are just services offered to good Japanese citizens and the third is the seedy part.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Shammypants posted:

A lot of their prostitution is "prostitution for Japanese only" and then "for Japanese speakers only" and then "everyone else." From my experiences with speaking to older Japanese men, the former two are just services offered to good Japanese citizens and the third is the seedy part.

Lol

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Tottori had lots of soaplands, lmao.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mikeycp posted:

Like Osaka doesn't even have a single soapland

Really? Are they specially outlawed or something? My Shikoku city that you recently visited has a poo poo ton of them, as do a few other nearby cities, and the rumor is that most of the customers are people from Kansai who want to go where nobody knows them. I didn't think it was because they didn't have any closer to home, though.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

mikeycp posted:

It's definitely bigger in Tokyo than in other places

Here’s a list of like literally 500 soap lands in Osaka

https://www.purelovers.com/kansai/shoplist/pf27&b6.html

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Weeb Unable to Locate Soap

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
I seriously can’t fathom how he thought there weren’t soaplands in Osaka or that only Tokyo is a hotbed of prostitution lol

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

mikeycp posted:

There is no way that is true. If Tobita Shinchi is allowed to exist, then there have to be soaplands as well.

^^^beaten

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

Weeb Unable to Locate Soap

:golfclap: this post deserves more love

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Soaplands seem to be an onsen town/business traveler thing (except Kendo Kobayashi).

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

peanut posted:

Soaplands seem to be an onsen town/business traveler thing (except Kendo Kobayashi).

ah yes, famous place of onsens and business, Ikebukuro

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

peanut posted:

They’re just an anywhere thing. I’m Shikoku they may be concentrated there but I don’t think those places have them so much near Tokyo?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I'm kinda puritan smug about my absolute ignorance of the state of sex work in Japan.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Stringent posted:

I'm kinda puritan smug about my absolute ignorance

That seems to be how it's gone for the last however many years it's been

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Actual lol

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Bloodnose posted:

That seems to be how it's gone for the last however many years it's been

鋭い!

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012

Stringent posted:

I'm kinda puritan smug about my absolute ignorance of the state of sex work in Japan.

Lol yeah until I started dating a girl who grew up in Osaka who started pointing out all the prostitutes waiting for people around umeda, I had no idea that's what they were

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

LimburgLimbo posted:

They’re just an anywhere thing. I’m Shikoku they may be concentrated there but I don’t think those places have them so much near Tokyo?

Let me tell you about Kabukicho...

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Doctor Zero posted:

Let me tell you about Kabukicho...

You’re misunderstanding the context son

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

LimburgLimbo posted:

You’re misunderstanding the context son

Ah yeah, mis-identified the pronoun. :wotwot:

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Doctor Zero posted:

Ah yeah, mis-identified the pronoun. :wotwot:

Yeah my fault for not being more clear and the in > I’m autocorrect doesn’t help

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

LimburgLimbo posted:

Here’s a list of like literally 500 soap lands in Osaka

https://www.purelovers.com/kansai/shoplist/pf27&b6.html

I was told that the closest was in hyogo but it's possible it's the closest that allows whitey

E: but also like every one of those is listed as delivery health when you click into one of the regions

mikeycp fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Nov 24, 2019

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Definitely walked down the wrong street in Fukuoka with the wife. It was just nonstop strip and brothel.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I was so drunk trying to take my pants off during the show that I fell out of the peep booth.
The girl was like "maybe I should do you first" so I was the first stop on her handy circuit.
That's my foremost omotenashi experience. :japan:

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
sounds like a good time

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

lmao

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

zmcnulty posted:

I was so drunk trying to take my pants off during the show that I fell out of the peep booth.
The girl was like "maybe I should do you first" so I was the first stop on her handy circuit.
That's my foremost omotenashi experience. :japan:

awesome

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
さすがGOON

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

mikeycp posted:

I was told that the closest was in hyogo but it's possible it's the closest that allows whitey

E: but also like every one of those is listed as delivery health when you click into one of the regions

Yeah you know what, happy to admit that I’m wrong here. I am, alas, not familiar with the site I linked and it’s actually showing *no results* for Soaps and the area links are just to other forms of services.

Soaps are indeed banned in Osaka which is crazy.

https://splq.info/area/osaka-soapland-tekihatsu/

Edit: to be clear there’s still tons of prostitution and as the article explains though “soaplands” don’t exist they literally just made up some new categories of stores that do basically the same thing

LimburgLimbo fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Nov 25, 2019

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Is a soapland just a Japanese euphemism for brothel?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

arisu posted:

Is a soapland just a Japanese euphemism for brothel?

It’s one of a number, but it’s specifically something where women cover themselves in soap and rub all over you or whatever. I guess they were/are also know as one of the places you could reliably do “honban” aka PIV sex, which is generally illegal as per the law but not sure if there’s loopholes. It’s also probably why all the ones in Osaka got shut down in the 90’s apparently.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Here we call them Shampoolands, totally different.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

LimburgLimbo posted:

Yeah you know what, happy to admit that I’m wrong here. I am, alas, not familiar with the site I linked and it’s actually showing *no results* for Soaps and the area links are just to other forms of services.

Soaps are indeed banned in Osaka which is crazy.

https://splq.info/area/osaka-soapland-tekihatsu/

Edit: to be clear there’s still tons of prostitution and as the article explains though “soaplands” don’t exist they literally just made up some new categories of stores that do basically the same thing

yeah i think fashion health is what they have, the main difference is fuckin' isn't 100% expected like it is in a soapland

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
https://twitter.com/gankichi39/status/1198854805612924928?s=20

Stringent fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Nov 25, 2019

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I only watch Chinese car videos so I was confused why no one ran over that man in the middle.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

kawaii

Slow Graffiti
Feb 1, 2003

Born of Frustration
Having a couple of after dinner pints in the hotel bar before we leave tomorrow, and I have to say I’m going to miss this country. My wife and I are already discussing our next trip.

Looking back at the last two weeks the only thing I regret is spending so much time in Tokyo. It’s a great city, but we enjoyed Kyoto and Hiroshima so much more.

Next time we will definitely spend more time travelling around to other parts of the country. This place is amazing.

Though I absolutely want to go back to Kyoto to chill at this insanely cluttered jazz bar:

Slow Graffiti fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Nov 25, 2019

pjvkng
Jun 14, 2013

Slow Graffiti posted:

Though I absolutely want to go back to Kyoto to chill at this insanely cluttered jazz bar:

where is this? need to go here, gonna be in Kyoto Wednesday/Thursday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Slow Graffiti posted:

Looking back at the last two weeks the only thing I regret is spending so much time in Tokyo. It’s a great city, but we enjoyed Kyoto and Hiroshima so much more.

This was my takeaway from my second trip. I spent time in Tokyo, Kyoto, then went back to Tokyo at which point I was kind of bummed since I enjoyed the Kyoto vibe much more.

This time around I'm landing in Tokyo then I plan on almost immediately yeeting out to Kyoto/Nara/Osaka/Kobe and then back to Tokyo at the END of the trip to do my major shopping/etc without lugging everything around. Not sure how I'm going to split up three weeks yet but I don't want to make the same mistake.

And planning your next trip definitely helps take the edge off the post-travel depression.