Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Verviticus posted:

how do you look at the body if you gently caress up the rolls early? does it eventually just work?

Same as any other white check: put points into the relevant skill to unlock a reroll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

What happens if you give a fake boots serial number to the radio operator...I would try myself but it requires 2 days of waiting.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Wafflecopper posted:

Same as any other white check: put points into the relevant skill to unlock a reroll

no other white check except the shivers one is as plot-critical and the shivers check you can get literally +18 to it

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Verviticus posted:

no other white check except the shivers one is as plot-critical and the shivers check you can get literally +18 to it

after you fail looking at the body the first time, you can go buy ammonia for a dollar which gives you a +1 modifier. if you fail that, kim gives you a thought to internalize which gives you a big modifier and takes 30 minutes. idk what happens if you fail that.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Verviticus posted:

it does give you plenty of help in re-trying that check as well. you can get the ammonia which gives a +1, and you can also get a +1 if you talk to Cuno after you vomit, ask for advice, and he goes life coach on ya and helps you turn your weaknesses into strength if you can pass a passive conceptualization roll. if you still fail and throw up the second time, you get the thought Volumetric poo poo Compressor which when internalized re-opens your white endurance checks, increases your endurance cap to 4, and gives you a +6 to the vomit roll. at 1 endurance with both Volumetric poo poo Compressor and Cunofied Nonvomitor, I had a 72% chance to succeed the roll.

GulagDolls posted:

after you fail looking at the body the first time, you can go buy ammonia for a dollar which gives you a +1 modifier. if you fail that, kim gives you a thought to internalize which gives you a big modifier and takes 30 minutes. idk what happens if you fail that.

you get a tutorial message on using skill points to re-open white checks

Aye Doc fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Nov 24, 2019

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
ah ok that makes sense. i guess you could probably also technically beat the game and leave the body up there i wonder how ellis likes that

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

GulagDolls posted:

What happens if you give a fake boots serial number to the radio operator...I would try myself but it requires 2 days of waiting.

in my continuing quest to see every single line of content this game has to offer - I wrote down the fake number at the crime scene, gave that number to Alice, and then had a short but enlightening conversation with her about how the number was obviously not a serial number but its first 8 digits matched a series of paintings by a fella named Tobias Pren, who recently hanged himself. I went back and did it giving her the fake number you just make up on the spot, and the first 10 digits matched a custom baby stroller, and you can tell her this info was important to the investigation for a morale boost and a line from Drama about how this was good training for when you'll need to lie to save yourself later.

Verviticus posted:

ah ok that makes sense. i guess you could probably also technically beat the game and leave the body up there i wonder how ellis likes that

on my second playthrough, i forgot to take the body down until late day 6 because i was side questing and boy it sure made interrogating Klaasje a little bit fuckin' awkward. everyone also made references to what a gently caress-up i was, constantly, since it was still hanging there. and I believe you have to get the body down to progress things with Titus at some point. I'll load up a save and test to be sure

so things can still progress with Titus even if the body is up. gonna do a full failcop run and see if its possible to leave it up for the whole dang game

Aye Doc fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Nov 24, 2019

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
I got this late last week and honestly haven't read through the thread past page 1; I'm avoiding the spoiler minefield because this game is just loving exquisitely written and I'm playing as blindly as possible, just having reached the island and gotten a confession from Iosef Dros - plus the whole Insulindian phasmid thing.

I'm just here to say that, five days past my divorce and having found myself in the path of one too many rough nights in the last few months, this game's take on Harry and Dora's respective approaches post-breakup is really poignantly written. When people said this could supplant Planescape:Torment in the writing department, they weren't kidding. The writers either have some pretty intimate, first-hand knowledge of rock-bottom or they do a great job of expressing it to the player.

I almost don't want to finish it, but then I do want to complete the playthrough so that I can switch up from being recovered, sober communist boring cop to substance-abusing, perpetually intoxicated hobocop just so that I can see how the writing changes.

e:oh hey, how about that I was literally five minutes from finishing the game

ElectricSheep fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Nov 24, 2019

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

so I know some people earlier were wondering if there was anyone who warns you about the third mercenary - well if you make it to Ruby's hideout without actually knowing dick all about the tribunal, she warns you it's happening and that a third merc has just arrived in town for it.

and you totally can just finish the game with the body still hanging up, but sadly it didn't change much dialogue. there was one line and it was really just changing from a past-tense "man who was hanging" to present tense "man who is hanging."

Aye Doc fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Nov 24, 2019

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
behold, the duality of man

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

There aren't enough pants and hats in this game (said the former TF2 player).

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
If I ever start a new game, I will go full failcop. 1 in every stat and no clothing. Might need a lot of health and morale boosters.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
anyone else run into the bug where you cannot open Gary's door for the Evrart quest, after completing the Cryptozoologists quest? I haven't been able to find a solution to this yet, saw some articles saying you could exit the game and re-launch and then the door would let you interact with it, and other articles saying the quest should auto-fail, but currently that isn't happening and I have no additional dialogue with Evrart

I'd rather not re-do 10+ hours of gameplay since my last save-game where Gary isn't at home, so at this point I'm trying to do some save-game editing, but if there's an easier solution I'd love to hear it

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005
Bad news is you're kinda hosed good news is you ddont need to do that for most of the real juicy endgame content. And there is a way around not doing it for the content that uses it anyway so don't lose hope! Just exhaust all other options ans keep your necktie close

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

yeah just keep playing. i never got my gun back on my first play through

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

behold, the duality of man

Eugh, you shaved :barf:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Christ, it takes SO MUCH work to make your cop buddies not take you back.

Unless I'm mistaken, having either Kim or Cuno along is pretty much an automatic acceptance just on the strength of their testimony. Even if you go in alone, just getting the motive from the killer is enough to be accepted.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Sekenr posted:

Eugh, you shaved :barf:

I also made that mistake. Never shave.

Lose The Expression though.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

CottonWolf posted:

I also made that mistake. Never shave.

Lose The Expression though.

Unshaved with no expression is top tier, shaved with the expression still on is bottom.

Edit:

Unshaved, no expression: You're mannered, absurd, stuck in the past. But you're also committed, serious, a cop in the best sense of the word. You're not a clown.
Shaved, no expression: Welcome to the wasteland of reality. You're unflinching, but probably just replacing obsession and (narco)mania with depression and despair.
Unshaved, keep the expression: You're a clown. You know it, everyone who meets you knows it. What they don't know is you're also a cop, and you can use your pathetic appearance to downplay what you're trying to accomplish until you pull it off, again.
Never look in the mirror: Look in the mirror, you coward. Not acknowledging the furies doesn't give you power over them, it gives them power over you.
Shaved, keep the expression: Oh no. Oh dear god. What... what is that thing? What have you done? There might not be any coming back from this. The best you can hope for is making it through this one case before you, your co-workers, or a random Jamrock thug puts you out of your misery.

Digital Osmosis fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Nov 24, 2019

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Xander77 posted:

Christ, it takes SO MUCH work to make your cop buddies not take you back.

Unless I'm mistaken, having either Kim or Cuno along is pretty much an automatic acceptance just on the strength of their testimony. Even if you go in alone, just getting the motive from the killer is enough to be accepted.

I mean, Jean has been Harry's partner for years, and this isn't the first time he's done it. It makes sense that as long as you solve the case, all is forgiven.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I somehow feel like I played the game wrong the first time through. I just couldn't bring myself to not put skills in off-skills when I saw white checks I couldn't pass, and neither could I stop treating thoughts as pokemon. I ended up being a sad superstar apocalyptic commie cop. I kind of want to do another run, but I'm unsure I can be mean to Kim or really get into race sience.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

There's no wrong way imo

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Aye Doc posted:

say nothing 5x
choose SO HARD CORE!
choose IT IS!
choose THE QUESTION IS, WHAT IS THE QUESTION?!

In order for that to work, though, you have to crash out of a different path where Egg Head asks you THE QUESTION IS, WHAT IS THE QUESTION? in order to get inspired to say it yourself.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Digital Osmosis posted:

Unshaved with no expression is top tier, shaved with the expression still on is bottom.

Edit:

Unshaved, no expression: You're mannered, absurd, stuck in the past. But you're also committed, serious, a cop in the best sense of the word. You're not a clown.
Shaved, no expression: Welcome to the wasteland of reality. You're unflinching, but probably just replacing obsession and (narco)mania with depression and despair.
Unshaved, keep the expression: You're a clown. You know it, everyone who meets you knows it. What they don't know is you're also a cop, and you can use your pathetic appearance to downplay what you're trying to accomplish until you pull it off, again.
Never look in the mirror: Look in the mirror, you coward. Not acknowledging the furies doesn't give you power over them, it gives them power over you.
Shaved, keep the expression: Oh no. Oh dear god. What... what is that thing? What have you done? There might not be any coming back from this. The best you can hope for is making it through this one case before you, your co-workers, or a random Jamrock thug puts you out of your misery.

Shaved with no expression is the saddest man alive, it's painful to even look at your portrait.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Shaved, keep the expression: I'M BACK BABY. YOU WANT SOME gently caress?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

steinrokkan posted:

Shaved with no expression is the saddest man alive, it's painful to even look at your portrait.

This is one of the few times I reloaded after seeing the result of a skill check.

I couldn't take it.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Cowards, all of you. Once Kim told me it looked even worse with the expression I knew I made the right decision.

AttackTheMoon
Jul 4, 2015

I can't stop thinking about this game. Easily my game of the year

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

I wish there was an option during the tribunal to play dumb and keep calling them scabs.

Light him on fire and yell that what he gets for being a scab.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

steinrokkan posted:

I like it

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Can anyone link the post(s) where someone was giving a break down of the style/symbolism in the character portraits?

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

I did a bit: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=499768457

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

Just what I needed! My plebeian brain had no idea what to make of those loving portraits.:confuoot:

Neuronyx fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Nov 25, 2019

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

steinrokkan posted:

I know! You don't have to tell me how much it rules, I gave it second place.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3899418&pagenumber=139&perpage=40#post499768457

Link to the post on the page proper, where you can see further analysis.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

genericnick posted:

I somehow feel like I played the game wrong the first time through. I just couldn't bring myself to not put skills in off-skills when I saw white checks I couldn't pass,
This is completely intended and encouraged by design.

Also,

sebmojo posted:

There's no wrong way imo

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

The church. Kim! DANCING. The city...!

This is too beautiful, this is too good.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Towards the end, I seem to have gotten a lot of people shot. Ruby, two mercs, Kim, bunch of Hardies, gardener, myself. Whole lot of red checks. Do those events always happen?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

eric ciaramella posted:

Towards the end, I seem to have gotten a lot of people shot. Ruby, two mercs, Kim, bunch of Hardies, gardener, myself. Whole lot of red checks. Do those events always happen?
Some people are definitely going to get it, like it or not. Not necessarily the same people though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

eric ciaramella posted:

You can save everyone in that list except the mercs and two of the Hardys.