Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

The trick is to get one of the ones that's flat on one side and rounded on the other, so they come to a diamond-edged point at the sides.

Then absentmindedly use your finger as a guide for it and be just a liiiiiiitle bit too enthusiastic.

My rule of thumb (literally) is that if it doesn't draw blood it's OK.

Cue the clerk trying 6 times to take my fingerprint for a passport, cleaning the scanner and whatnot:
- Is something wrong?
- The machine's busted or something, I've got lots of interference and can't take a decent print.
- Can I see?
- *turns monitor* It's these criss-crossed lines all over the place.
- Ah, those are micro-scars, I'm a modeler :haw:
- :what:

Had a good laugh with this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
My files will indeed draw blood. It's rare that I do draw blood, but getting a super thin slice of skin flapping around is a regular thing.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Fish and Chimps posted:

Lots of great content in this thread lately. Good job goons!

Here are my finished British and Danish brigs. I painted the flag edges as a finishing touch.

I also ordered plastic ratlines and elastic thread for rigging. I don't like the look of the clear acetate ratlines or the many slack lines in the rigging.

I love these ships so much. I'm really tempted to try Black Seas.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Zuul the Cat posted:

I love these ships so much. I'm really tempted to try Black Seas.

The models are great, but rigging, sails, ratlines and flags in 1:700 can be a frustrating experience

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I need to get some paints and finish the basic builds before I worry about sails and rigging, but I dig the rules.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
If I wanted to play 17th/18th/Napoleonic warfare at the scale I can move companies around (to march in column of companies, deploy into line and form square) and fight at the divisional or corps level, what rules and scale should I use? 28mm is way to big to paint, but I can't work out if 6, 10 or 15mm works better, little lone which rules or figure manufacture I should choose.

I don't know of anyone in my local area who actually plays anything beyond 28mm star wars or 40k so it would probably be just me collecting and painting them. I do have a dream of setting up a table and doing a Goon Lets Play of a battle (only showing a model's eye view of a battle, making terrain and scouting REALLY matter) but that would be way in the future.

I'm leaning towards 18th century with the classic cavalry, infantry and artillery. No pikes (I do not understand how pikes and guns on a battlefield actually work tactically) and I think I like the hats more....but I like the idea of light infantry units acting as skirmishers when required too.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Nov 22, 2019

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Pikes are basically bayonets, but before they worked out how to stick them on the end of your gun so you had to have someone just holding the pointy stick to remind the enemy to gently caress off because you're standing here.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I like 10mm for big battles like that. For one, it's almost exactly the scale you need to play a 28mm game by swapping inches to centimeters, but it also fits large forces on a fairly normal table size without much trouble.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
I haven't tried 10mm, but I've painted 6mm and liked it. Baccus6mm is a good starting point when looking at ranges.

10mm has the advantage of the different unit types being a bit more obvious from the sculpts, and the Wargaming Company has a "FoW style" set in Et Sans Resultat where they sell both formations and rules. They are US based and I'm not sure if they are available in Europe.

https://thewargamingcompany.com/products/et-sans-resultat-second-edition-the-complete-players-guide/

Sam Mustafa makes good rules in general for this kind of scale:

https://sammustafa.com/

I've only played Lasalle, but liked it.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Always shill 6mm for any kind of game.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

lilljonas posted:

Sam Mustafa makes good rules in general for this kind of scale:

https://sammustafa.com/

I've only played Lasalle, but liked it.

I read the tactics and example game of Might and Reason and it sounded like what I want...but there's no book version of the rules, only a PDF. I'm being picky but this is why I;m researching it and asking here. Thanks for the help!

Et sans résultat! Second Edition also looks good too, and scales to everything, though it dosn't look to be on the company level. Though I don't think many games below 28mm go below battalion level either.

I think I'll need to make a choice- play at corps level with battalion units or smaller battles with companies.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

JcDent posted:

Until you come into massive wealth and can afford to have whole divisions and corps in 1:1 28mm

“Enrique, ready Maréchal Soult to advance”

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Until you come into massive wealth and can afford to have whole divisions and corps in 1:1 28mm

1:1? Lmao I feel it would take a lifetime to paint 580 models for one battalion

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Phi230 posted:

1:1? Lmao I feel it would take a lifetime to paint 580 models for one battalion

Dip em all.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

JcDent posted:

Traditional Games > Historicals: Any scale, as long as it's 6mm

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Battlegroup is a set of GPW/Russian Front wargame Rules that work for 15mm or 20mm models that is produced by Plastic Soldier Company. I've got big Soviet and German armies in 15mm for Flames of War. But Flames of War 4th Edition just isn't working for me and it has caused the game to be less popular in my area. As a result Battlegroup is my WWII GPW/Russian Front game these days.

The first book/set of rules was called Battlegroup Kursk. The book contained the rules of the game and lists/history for the battle of Kursk (1943). It's beautifully produced, with a lot of photos and painting guides.

The game was successful, so they made some expansions; by this point they've covered Barbarossa, North Africa, the Blitzkrieg era and others. They made a stand-alone rulebook that works with all of these. But Kursk went out of print.

For years it was impossible to find for a reasonable price. Copies would go for over $100, if you could find one. Months would go by without a single copy coming up on eBay.

Just this morning a UK games seller listed "over 10 copies" for sale. They're going for $20, plus $13 shipping to the states.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/163954448206?ul_noapp=true

If this is legit it is an amazing deal. Even if it is just the core rulebook it's a good deal, but if it's the full Kursk version? If you have any interest in WWII GPW/Russian Front wargaming you need to buy this.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

PSC just reprinted BGK. You can buy it straight off their site now.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Cessna posted:

The first book/set of rules was called Battlegroup Kursk. The book contained the rules of the game and lists/history for the battle of Kursk (1943). It's beautifully produced, with a lot of photos and painting guides.
Point of order! It was first called Kampfgruppe Normandy and was published by Games Workshop of all people...

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer
Strongly recommending Battlegroup as well. Northag is due in january I think, and that's 10mm, with some army deals on the PSC site.

The next BG ruleset will be Pacific, a group I know got the rules to playtest, but I didn't really ask them about that since that theatre doesn't interest me as much.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Did you say 1:1?

I really wish I had access to a 3d printer, the guy i found on some service couldn't get the quality crisp enough for him to want to sell.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Does anyone reccomend Fistful of Tows and Cold War Commander? Looking for 6mm stuff

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer
Except for going crazy painting that stuff, that's excellent. I'm also still loving those Black Seas models Fish n Chimps is pumping out like it's nothing. Those paper sails look really good.

I also made a mistake and picked up some moderns at Crisis that I'm slowly painting up while I'm waiting for my Carnevale stuff. I've ordered Spectre Operations and Black Ops (Osprey) my friend wants to use Skirmish Sangin but that qrs is 6 pages of modifiers or something wtf

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Geisladisk posted:

PSC just reprinted BGK. You can buy it straight off their site now.

No kidding?

Huh, well...

Look over there!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Wowshawk posted:

Except for going crazy painting that stuff, that's excellent. I'm also still loving those Black Seas models Fish n Chimps is pumping out like it's nothing. Those paper sails look really good.

I also made a mistake and picked up some moderns at Crisis that I'm slowly painting up while I'm waiting for my Carnevale stuff. I've ordered Spectre Operations and Black Ops (Osprey) my friend wants to use Skirmish Sangin but that qrs is 6 pages of modifiers or something wtf
Skirmish Sangin seems to very much be a "five a side" kind of game. I read it briefly and then decided it wasn't worth the hassle.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Phi230 posted:

Does anyone reccomend Fistful of Tows and Cold War Commander? Looking for 6mm stuff

Unless I'm confusing the authors, Fistfull of TOWs is written by the scummy lawyer defending representing that sex-pest anime voiceover guy.

I mean, he's a lawyer doing his job but there's a lot of other good games out there and designers I'd rather give money.

moths fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Nov 23, 2019

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I remain concerned Northag is going to have a "five shermans for every tiger" style points system but with NATO getting the tigers. The starter boxes seem weirdly lopsided if the intent isn't having 50 soviet tanks for every NATO one.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

spectralent posted:

I remain concerned Northag is going to have a "five shermans for every tiger" style points system but with NATO getting the tigers. The starter boxes seem weirdly lopsided if the intent isn't having 50 soviet tanks for every NATO one.

I'm very interested in a Team Yankee replacement, but am put off by this as well.

And - 10mm? Come on, folks, I already have painted 15mm.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Cessna posted:

And - 10mm? Come on, folks, I already have painted 15mm.

Use 15 mm models, multiply all distances by 1.5. :colbert:

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

JcDent posted:

I do this for every game, even if it's not even close to 6mm. It's not historical but just look at this teeny tiny 40k, it's adorable

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I love those retro Ork buildings :allears:

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Having just had experience with these myself I'd like to offer two alternatives, one being 6mm MDF miniatures from Commission Figurines. They're extremely affordable to get masses of troops & cavalry, and painted up will stand up next to Baccus just fine. After painting a couple hundred of those I have now started messing around with some paper soldiers from Helion & Co. which has the advantage of being cheap, fast, and the Peninsular War book includes like seven national forces in it. It's scaled for 28mm, which is what I plan on keeping them at for Sharp Practice and Rebels & Patriots gaming, but you could just print at 50% for 15mm or even smaller if you're insane.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

moths posted:

Unless I'm confusing the authors, Fistfull of TOWs is written by the scummy lawyer defending that sex-pest anime voiceover guy.

I mean, he's a lawyer doing his job but there's a lot of other good games out there and designers I'd rather give money.

"doing his job" is a bit strong, both because he's going way above and beyond the call of duty to be a piece of poo poo, and because he's extremely bad at it. also, he's not defending.

but yeah, same ty beard. the sheer incompetence on display in court makes me wonder if the other author wrote the actual rules, though.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Oops yeah you're right. Correction made, that's an important distinction.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
It's an understandable mistake, given poo poo like this.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Is it possible for anyone to take a picture of a 28mm Kradschützen next to a 1/48 tank?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
So after spending nothing for the last few days thinking about it, I think I've narrowed down the rules choice for Napoleonic warfare down to the following. I think I'm leaning to 15mm figures because you can buy entire armies pretty cheaply (compared to what I recall from 40k where it's $60 per FIGURE)

Black Powder. Seems to be the most popular and really generic (I don't think the game cares about differences in artillery between 1700 to 1900 You just have a gun that shoots, no matter what size or kind it is?). From the makers of 40k, and seems to have brought along a lot of it's issues too. Lots of support from the manufacturer. Lots of people seem to love it or totally despise it.
General d’Armee. Seems to be more detailed, slower, but much more command like - it has skirmisher's! Sounds like it works better for Solo play, which unless I can get a Let's Play running is all I'd be playing probably.
General de Brigade: A lower scale version of General d’Armee I think? More detail but older than General d’Armee? Is the Deluxe edition another game or the same one with more rules? I can't figure that out.
Et Sans Résultat Napoleonics. Larger scale I think but seems well supported too.

I have had no luck finding any info on the web on any clubs who actually play any of these at all in Melbourne AUS that didn't last post an update this decade. I love (the game) and era, but no one near me is even vaguely interested.

While doing research I came across a rule set that had a pre-battle rules that involved the amount of scouting each side did first, that would then go on to help dictate the start of the battle instead of "everyone's units start on the table" but I now can't find it, but it sounded really interesting because a hell of a lot of real battles worked out that way. Does anyone know what game I'm talking about?

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
If you want bases for individual companies and your looking for doing stuff like pivoting each company in an open column to form a line perpendicular to the direction you were marching. Then I'd recommend SP2 and pretending you are playing a brigade or division scale game instead of battalion/company.

I'm a sucker for maneuvers, and I've scratched that itch in SP2. I think if you play bigger games they are just to big to bother with janitoring the formations of battalions and such

But going for a small scale is probably smart, even though you are missing out on painting some dashing uniforms, because if you want maneuvers you need space and a 6×4 table quickly gets cramped in 28mm.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Comstar posted:

So after spending nothing for the last few days thinking about it, I think I've narrowed down the rules choice for Napoleonic warfare down to the following. I think I'm leaning to 15mm figures because you can buy entire armies pretty cheaply (compared to what I recall from 40k where it's $60 per FIGURE)

Black Powder. Seems to be the most popular and really generic (I don't think the game cares about differences in artillery between 1700 to 1900 You just have a gun that shoots, no matter what size or kind it is?). From the makers of 40k

What

Also I think you would struggle to pay $60 a figure anywhere for a 28mm historical figure :shobon:

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

What?

Designer Jervis Johnson, Rick Priestley, John Stallard. Rick Priestley's name is on my copy of 40K rogue trader. I've alwatys liked Jervis 's Blood Bowl since I started in 3rd edition. John Stallard did the warhammer historical rules I think. I thought Warlord was nothing but ex-GW people?

From what I've read Black Powder seems a LOT like Warhammer (2K). But not having played it I can't really tell, but the video's I've seen feel VERY familiar.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Nov 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Comstar posted:

While doing research I came across a rule set that had a pre-battle rules that involved the amount of scouting each side did first, that would then go on to help dictate the start of the battle instead of "everyone's units start on the table" but I now can't find it, but it sounded really interesting because a hell of a lot of real battles worked out that way. Does anyone know what game I'm talking about?

Sounds like Blücher. It has an add-on for playing exactly that (Scharnhorst).

https://sammustafa.com/blucher/

As for players, I'd hit the bullet and check the Facebook scene. Lots of players post there rather than on specific club pages etc.

This Nappy group is good:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/247145792126789/

I looked, and this spring there was a bunch guys discussiong players and clubs in Melbourne. By not being tied to a specific ruleset, you'll run the best chance of finding players in this group.

The Sharp Practice group is also pretty lively and I've seen Aussies there.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/583159251850065/

If you go with Black Powder, check Warlords combined Black Powder/Black Seas group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/WarlordGamesBlackSeasandBlackPowder/

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Nov 24, 2019