Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

LinkesAuge posted:

Watched the first three episodes and it's suprisingly decent. Nothing earth shattering but I wasn't a fan of the trailer and yet liked the show so far (Jason Momoa is once again doing a good job, he might be typecast but it works just as it did in GoT). I think if you enjoy shows like "The 100" or post-apoc stuff in general you should give it a chance. The setting/world building has been interesting so far.

I kept thinking that See and The 100 was set in the same world. The blind people are just proto-grounders. No the timeline doesn’t work but who cares it’s my head canon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity
Binged Another Life and it's meh like described upthread. Good soundtrack though

I've started season 2 of the OA and it's a great fix for my 'wtf is going on' tv show cravings. Wife hadn't seen S1 and was very confused when she saw the season recap

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Watched the second season of The End Of The F***ing World. While it certainly does not detract from the first, I do not feel it really adds anything. There was certainly enough material to make this and it is just as well done - the (inner) dialogue and subversion of narrative expectations especially - but I was perfectly content with season 1 without a follow up.

Watched both seasons of Succession. It is quite mesmerising; I usually don't go for shows that have an all out dislikable cast of characters, but hot drat this one has some incredible portrayals. It is, however, mainly concerned with presenting its characters in a state of conflict, struggling with loyalties and self preservation, so story wise there is I feel very little development: it constantly seems to be setting up traps to spring, or heralding catastrophe, only to time and again circle back and away from resolution through destruction in order to keep that state of conflict going.

Also watched Catch-22, which I thought captured the essence of the novel pretty well.

Meatgrinder fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Nov 13, 2019

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I was really skeptical of the Catch 22 miniseries going in but it was amazing from minute one.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Just watched the first episode of Goliath S3 and holy loving poo poo, I might be in for a wild loving ride.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Oh I forgot Goliath was coming back. I hope we see more Tom.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Yeah, I still remember the first time I checked out the Amazon Prime originals. I checked out Bosch, Goliath and Patriot. I was blown away by how good the shows were compared to the middling writing of Netflix originals at the time.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Amazon has done a good job of producing a decent number of entertaining/fun shows, but unfortunately it seems like they haven't made anything that has been able to get level of attention that Netflix shows like Stranger Things have. I guess it's good that Amazon doesn't care and is just still keeping at it, because I feel like a lot of other companies would have given up by now.

I'm not sure I really feel like a lot of their shows are actually that well written for the most part, but they definitely compared favorably to the terrible Marvel shows that Netflix was cranking out before.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

The Boys and Homecoming had a fair amount of attention.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Man in the High Castle seemed to have a lot of buzz for a season or two, but I kinda didn't realize it was still going.

I blame Prime's bad interface. When Netflix has a new show they run a trailer for it the second I fire up the app and are constantly pushing me towards it. When Amazon has a new show I might catch an ad for it amongst 5 others and if I'm lucky it will show up early on one of the scrolling categories.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

STAC Goat posted:

Man in the High Castle seemed to have a lot of buzz for a season or two, but I kinda didn't realize it was still going.

There was a two year gap between those two seasons and the newest stuff, which killed it dead.

You can have a two year release structure, or drop an entire season at once, and still maintain some momentum. But you can't do both. (Ideally, for a show to have any staying power, you've got to release episodes weekly and seasons yearly, but that's long past time at this point.)

The third season was colder and a bit nastier too, which probably had a big part in why people talked about it less. The new showrunner wasn't as interested in some of the show's soapier elements, which put people off, and there was a change in the approach to characterisation for a lot of the cast. Basically, it alienated the hard core fans that stuck around, and lost the casual fans who forgot about it.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

No Activity

A comedy show where nothing happens and is one of the funiest shows on tv right now (it's on CBS All access)

quote:

The police are stuck in an extended waiting game with a drug cartel. With the bad guys’ plan stalled, the cops have nothing to do but sit in their unmarked cruiser and keep an eye on their hideout. The two partners can only talk to each other to pass the time, and the same is true for the criminals on the inside and the dispatchers back at the station.

Amy Sedaris
Tim Meadows
Bob Odenkirk
Jessse Plemons
Jason Mantzoukas
Jk Simmons
Will Ferrell
Matt Walsh
Keegan Michael Keye
Dylan McDermott
Amy Schumer
Etc

Reminds me of Reno 911

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Nov 24, 2019

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Is this a remake then? I’m sure there was something else with the same concept. Had Tim Minchin.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Red Oktober posted:

Is this a remake then? I’m sure there was something else with the same concept. Had Tim Minchin.

Yup, this is the American remake of Australian show

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Wife and I have been watching Billy on the Street as our unwind after working late show, and I feel like I'm losing my mind every episode.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Finished 3rd Rock from the Sun. Great show, high laughs per minute. Working my way through News Radio now. Think Sports Night will be up after that.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
3rd Rock from the Sun is my 2nd favorite comedy and my go-to when I need cheering up. John Lithgow is an amazing actor with superb comedic timing.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

No Activity

A comedy show where nothing happens and is one of the funiest shows on tv right now (it's on CBS All access)

Amy Sedaris
Tim Meadows
Bob Odenkirk
Jessse Plemons
Jason Mantzoukas
Jk Simmons
Will Ferrell
Matt Walsh
Keegan Michael Keye
Dylan McDermott
Amy Schumer
Etc

Reminds me of Reno 911

One of the most consistently hilarious shows I've ever watched. No dead weight and it never goes where you expect it. Amy Sedaris's son catfishing J.K. Simmons is pure art

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

phosdex posted:

Finished 3rd Rock from the Sun. Great show, high laughs per minute. Working my way through News Radio now. Think Sports Night will be up after that.

I liked Sports Night, but expect a major dropoff from 3rd Rock and News Radio in terms of both quality and laughs per minute.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
rewatching Wilfred and its weird because the end of the series shows that wilfred is a figment of ryans imagination.

im on the episode where ryan seduces a woman to get out of paying for crashing into her car. All him, lol. But now I can also watch this and say "ryan obviously had mental illness, and being raised in a cult, nature and nurture hosed him good". It also showed how much having the support of animal helped him deal with stuff, which is a good coping mechanism.

but it kind of makes this like fight club. except the chad persona is a dog.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

C-Euro posted:

Wife and I have been watching Billy on the Street as our unwind after working late show, and I feel like I'm losing my mind every episode.
i love billy on the street

I just finished Catch-22 and it was real good

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

phosdex posted:

What service are you watching News Radio?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Crackle has the first 3 seasons.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

bowmore posted:

i love billy on the street

It's extremely good but completely mental, I have no idea how it got four seasons on a network that no one watches but I'm glad that it did.

I feel like it's a gateway comedy that I can use to get my wife into Tim and Eric or The Eric Andre Show or some poo poo.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Watched Fleabag yesterday and thought it was hilarious and great and sad.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I liked her relationship with her family, her dad especially. That was all very good and makes the show well worth watching.

Most of the sex stuff wasnt really interesting to me but teeth and her ex boyfriend were both pretty funny (if not very serious characters).

The whole priest plot in S2 left me totally cold, I just didnt get it.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
this priest fucks

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Dickinson

So so good

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

No Wave posted:

I liked her relationship with her family, her dad especially. That was all very good and makes the show well worth watching.

Most of the sex stuff wasnt really interesting to me but teeth and her ex boyfriend were both pretty funny (if not very serious characters).

The whole priest plot in S2 left me totally cold, I just didnt get it.

Yeah priest plot was dumb but the priest as a character and actor was fun.

Like poo poo when she was confessing it could’ve just ended with him giving her solid advice instead of being an abusive dude I guess

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Been going from series to series without finishing any series completely and right now I'm on season 1 of Justified. I'm not sure the appeal of it is but for me, it feels like an comfort-action series like I could enjoy watching it with my full attention but it could also serve as white noise as I multitask doing other things.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I binging through The Orville right now. It's not bad. I liked it when the robot flipped the table.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

TV Zombie posted:

Been going from series to series without finishing any series completely and right now I'm on season 1 of Justified. I'm not sure the appeal of it is but for me, it feels like an comfort-action series like I could enjoy watching it with my full attention but it could also serve as white noise as I multitask doing other things.

Justified improves a lot throughout Season 1 as it becomes more serialized and less episodic, and Season 2 is a drat near flawless season of television. It never again reaches the dizzying heights of Season 2, but the rest is still drat fine television and one of my favorite shows ever. If you're patient and stick with it, you'll want to give it your full attention, and you won't be sorry for doing so.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
We are 8/10 episodes into S2 of Halt And Catch Fire and are just loving the poo poo out of this show.

My wife loves the John Bosworth character because he's played by Toby Huss of King Of The Hill fame (she's a huge fan) so I get to hear a tiny ferocious Thai woman snap Bosworth one-liners at me all day :D

I can see how this show has the potential to make me cry like a child though. And I hear it gets better and better!

isaboo fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Dec 1, 2019

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

TV Zombie posted:

I'm on season 1 of Justified. I'm not sure the appeal of it is but for me,

First half of S1 isn't very good but it picks up and gets better quick in the the latter half.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Crossposting here since it's a miniseries.

Watched The Devil Next Door, a crime doc on Netflix about John Demjanjuk, a Ukrainian immigrant to America who was accused of being the infamous Nazi death camp guard, Ivan the Terrible. It's an interesting story and the doc presents both sides fairly while keeping the outcome (if you don't know it) a guessing game. I suggest not googling the guy and watching it cold but to give the gist, the KGB accuses Demjanjuk of being Ivan and turns over evidence to OSI. His citizenship is revoked and he is tried in Israel for war crimes as Ivan the Terrible. For every piece of evidence he is Ivan, there is an opposing piece of evidence suggesting he is not or at least discrediting the prosecution's evidence. The trial goes back and forth like this for a year.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Anyone watching Feed on Prime? I've struggled through 2 episodes, the characters are shallow and the drama is muted. Not really enjoying it.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

wormil posted:

Anyone watching Feed on Prime? I've struggled through 2 episodes, the characters are shallow and the drama is muted. Not really enjoying it.

I’m almost done with the season and am reading the book. I dig the overarching theme, but it all comes off a bit “old man yells at (the) cloud” for me.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
We're halfway through Season 3 of Halt and Catch Fire, and holy poo poo, this show is good. My wife and I totally slept on it when it was on -- she had never even heard of it, and I just knew the vaguest concept ("Like Mad Men, but about the computer industry in the '80s"). I never could get into Mad Men, and this sounded slow and boring, but WOW, it isn't.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Yeah are almost done with H&CF but it is so good we've been saving the last half of S4 because we don't want it to end. Instead we binged The Expanse S4 this weekend and of course it was *in Avasalara's voice* Goddamn loving Awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

His Dark Materials

So far it's well made but it's not really that interesting. The CGI animals are well made I guess