Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Kanos posted:

Yeah the UFO mount absolutely cannot match the mobility of a player properly slinging themselves around and is honestly imo detrimental against Moon Lord since it won't let you reliably dodge all the poo poo happening in that fight.

Taking a step back to consider things like "The UFO is too slow to dodge the moon" man, makes me wonder.

It probably runs counter to the mod scene, but I don't suppose there are mods with the seemingly simple goal of "Make the 2D building and adventure game (with a love affair with 'You will hammer M1 and like it!') less off a bullet hell"? Or failing that, the mods most suited for "Make stabbing them with my sword less suicidal/slower acting compared to shooting them from a safe distance."

Even early game, carving up something as easy as the eater of worlds with melee-without-projectiles leads to just wanting to say gently caress it and use penetrating ranged options.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Nov 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
Look at all these scrubs not using the dragon ball flight for everything once you get it.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Honestly if I could mod in JUST the flight and no other DBZ content, I'd be using that all the time, yeah

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

That Guy Bob posted:

Look at all these scrubs not using the dragon ball flight for everything once you get it.
It's kinda expensive to use all the time before you eat the third flight book. EDIT: I mean, if you're using ki attacks too, if you're using magic or ranged or something instead go nuts

(personally I've equipped an accessory from some other mod which sets my mana bar to 0 and adds it to my HP instead)

Fighting Calamitas while flying around trying to get her to stay in the beam I charged up long enough to make it worth it was pretty cool, though

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

These teleporting laser shooting lunar mobs are kind of BS. And I have to grind 150 of them and they drop no loot.

Defeated the vortex pillar to get some mats for the lunar shotgun. I needed 18 vortex fragments. The pillar is supposed to drop 18-90 fragments but dropped 8 :negative:

Losing steam here with the amount of chlorophyte I'll have to grind to keep up with ammo for this only to 100% lose to the moonlord

Eschenique fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Nov 24, 2019

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Eschenique posted:

These teleporting laser shooting lunar mobs are kind of BS. And I have to grind 150 of them and they drop no loot.

Defeated the vortex pillar to get some mats for the lunar shotgun. I needed 18 vortex fragments. The pillar is supposed to drop 18-90 fragments but dropped 8 :negative:

Losing steam here with the amount of chlorophyte I'll have to grind to keep up with ammo for this only to 100% lose to the moonlord
install a mod that lets you make infinite ammo items i've got like four options with my mod setup from different mods giving me things

then just use cheat sheet to spawn the drat thing because gently caress it

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

i really wish you gained mastery of transformations faster in the DBZ mod, i'm not getting any information on mastery of God form when I click it so I'm trying to unlock the spots between it and SSJ1 on the chart to see if that's the issue and this is taking FOR EVER

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

i'm not gaining mastery in super saiyan god, i guess the wiki is wrong. this was a waste of time.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

ki attacks (and importantly, the armor) don't scale up enough to handle the last few Calamity bosses, but being able to fly infinitely and go Super Saiyan certainly help

i switched to ranged weapons

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
So is the dbz mod something that would be fun and/or make any sense for someone who's never watched any form of dragon ball media? I have no interest in dbz but a ridiculously overpowered mod sounds fun.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Almost all of my dragonball knowledge is from cultural osmosis, so i'd say yes

as usual you'll want to look up its wiki since it's not very clear how progression in it works just from in-game stuff, and be aware that the wiki is not quite current and sometimes is inaccurate, as my experience going "why am I not getting mastery for the God transformation" shows

https://dbtmod.gamepedia.com/Dragon_Ball_Terraria_Mod_Wiki

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009

Zereth posted:

ki attacks (and importantly, the armor) don't scale up enough to handle the last few Calamity bosses, but being able to fly infinitely and go Super Saiyan certainly help

i switched to ranged weapons

Did you get the 5 power wishes from collecting the dragon balls? I'm wondering if that helps any vs endgame Calamity bosses.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

That Guy Bob posted:

Did you get the 5 power wishes from collecting the dragon balls? I'm wondering if that helps any vs endgame Calamity bosses.

It's 50% more damage and 100 more hp. Problem being that t6 DBT weapons have fairly reasonable numbers for moon event gear and endgame Calamity gear far, far outscales it. Top end Calamity weapons do vomit out tons of projectiles and explosions for thousands of base damage and top end armors gives north of 150 defense while also giving hundreds of life and a whole mess of damage stats and special abilities.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Nov 25, 2019

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010
So does DBZ pair better with Thorium?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It's mostly just that Calamity's endgame goes quite a bit past Moon Lord and most mods don't. You can still fly and go Super Saiyan, you just won't get much use out of DBT equipment during the last few Calamity bosses. It's otherwise a pretty good match because both mods tend to be a bit above the power curve.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Nov 25, 2019

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

dis astranagant posted:

It's mostly just that Calamity's endgame goes quite a bit past Moon Lord and most mods don't. You can still fly and go Super Saiyan, you just won't get much use out of DBT equipment during the last few Calamity bosses. It's otherwise a pretty good match because both mods tend to be a bit above the power curve.
:hmmyes: Being able to go super saiyan still helps your non-Ki damage types and the flight is very useful, it just stops scaling well before Calamity does. Most big content mods have like, maybe one thing past the Moon Lord, Calamity has a complicated advancement scheme with like 8 bosses and a few sub-bosses or so. (I may be wrong on the exact numbers I'm no gonna bother looking it up, I beat Supreme Calamitas, I'm done)

I did manage to beat the Devouerer of Gods in two attempts before I needed to switch to Calamity ranged gear, though. Being able to fly indefinitely in any direction I wanted at high speeds made dodging a lot easier.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010
I just...I dunno, every time I look into adding calamity I get a bit overwhelmed.

To be completely honest, I get burned out around Planters whenever I run vanilla. I don't think I've ever beat the moonlord without at least QoL mods. Maybe after I finish this DVZ/Thorium run I'll give calamity it's turn.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Is Ancients Awakened any good?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

It's a solid B-Tier in my personal opinion. Definitely worth a shot. I'd put it around the same level as Spirit, personally, but I might be a bit soft on it due to it having really good boss themes.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

The big content mods I’ve played with are Calamity, GRealm, Shadows of Abbadon, and Mod of Redemption. I’ve also played a bit with thorium but I’m not a big fan

I would only play with 2 of them at the same + grealm because at some point the spawn and drop pools get way too saturated and it takes forever to get anything.

They all have ups and downs, calamity is by far the most polished and cohesive but it can sometimes lean a little too hard into hardcore maso crowd. The devs have been good at toning down the stuff that needs toning down. Redemption has a designed dungeon that’s pretty cool and I like the technological aesthetic it’s going for even if the art isn’t always amazing. Abbadon is kind of in the middle when it comes to quality and jank. I really like it and it’s way more polished than redemption, and I’m sure some people will prefer it’s aesthetics

GRealm just adds a lot of fun stuff and potions that I don’t like playing without and the horde event is fun and I like the way it progresses with you. It also plays very well with calamity

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Games that have % drops should make the % go up every time you don't get the drop. Making all the random stuff crafttable or buyable is a nice alternative too.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Infinity Gaia posted:

It's a solid B-Tier in my personal opinion. Definitely worth a shot. I'd put it around the same level as Spirit, personally, but I might be a bit soft on it due to it having really good boss themes.

Thanks, I think I'll throw it in. Thanks to everyone who gave me mod recommendations, I'm going to try Thorium and Ancients Awakened for content, and then all those convenience mods people recommended.

ZZZorcerer posted:

Games that have % drops should make the % go up every time you don't get the drop. Making all the random stuff crafttable or buyable is a nice alternative too.

I wish all the bosses worked like the Eater of worlds does, where it just drops a bunch of boss chunks that you can craft into whatever boss stuff you want.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mzbundifund posted:

I wish all the bosses worked like the Eater of worlds does, where it just drops a bunch of boss chunks that you can craft into whatever boss stuff you want.
Look into... *googles* https://imksushi-mod.fandom.com/wiki/Loot_Tokens This mod, although it doesn't have support for non-vanilla mods, I believe.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Did Magic Storage ever get fixed for multiplayer? Or at least can you like... use multiple systems to keep the quantity stored from getting so high that poo poo breaks?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Patware posted:

Did Magic Storage ever get fixed for multiplayer? Or at least can you like... use multiple systems to keep the quantity stored from getting so high that poo poo breaks?

Seems so

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

That doesn't really answer the question as to whether breaking it up keeps the bug from happening. Guess we'll find out live

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I played an entire playthrough of modded Terraria with a friend quite a while ago, with Magic Storage and it... MOSTLY worked. By the very end it was getting pretty laggy while browsing the big box but that's because there were thousands of items in it. I'm sure splitting it up even in two would have helped loads.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Patware posted:

If you're playing on a linux run server, make sure to have mono installed, as it allows the game to compress the netcode for the systems, they'll gently caress up at extremely small sizes otherwise. If it's a windows server, then this is irrelevant.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Gonna let myself feel a LITTLE hopeful for a Christmas release of Journey’s End.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Terraria has hit top 10 played games on Steam in the last couple of days. Haven't seen that before, cool that people are enjoying this awesome game.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Apparently Pewdiepie started a Terraria series recently. So that, plus the ongoing sale, probably account for the huge bump!

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

The game just keeps slowly marching, I really don’t think I’ve ever seen a clearer example of how free support and constant improvements can become a strong long term benefit

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008

Black August posted:

Gonna let myself feel a LITTLE hopeful for a Christmas release of Journey’s End.

Bad news I'm afraid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVQqTab6EIA
https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/terraria-state-of-the-game-november-2019.84106/

I totally understand thier descision, but wow, so many games are delayed to 2020 now its getting rather annoying.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

nerts

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
Does DBZ play nicely with other progression mods? Or is it something you generally build a pack around?

I've been reading the related chatter in the thread and it sounds amusing for a play through but I'm not sure if I should just add it to a kitchen sink list or build something centered around it.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

ImpactVector posted:

Does DBZ play nicely with other progression mods? Or is it something you generally build a pack around?

I've been reading the related chatter in the thread and it sounds amusing for a play through but I'm not sure if I should just add it to a kitchen sink list or build something centered around it.

It mostly just adds drops to vanilla bosses and enemies so it should be fine to add with whatever.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Any chance of a native OS X 10.15/Catalina update in the foreseeable future?

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Since 1.4 is delayed, some friends and I started a Thorium Expert large world. I managed to snag a Mythical Space Gun in 2 reforges, that's a good start :c00l:

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

Tenebrais posted:

Random drops are the one major flaw in Terraria. Grinding bosses, enemies, fishing and so on for the one item you want at a low drop chance with no guarantee you'll ever get it just isn't fun. The weird thing is the game already has implemented a great answer to the random grinding - most bosses drop a resource you can use to make things - then just ignores that mechanic and says no, you have to specifically get this at 15% drop rate.

I'm okay with most of it since you can target the grind fairly well for your build and even if you're pretty well prepared enemies can surprise you if you get lazy... Fishing though... I crunched through a few dozen quests but then gave up and just edited in what I needed.

I like the idea of being pushed to spend some time in odd biomes and explore a bit to find or build a suitable fishing hole, but the reality gets stale very fast, and the rate limiting makes it agonizing considering how many useful utility items are locked up in that torturous minigame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

We have a group server and set up a bunch of fishing holes in various biomes with a piggy bank by each one, and then half a dozen chests by the angler back at town. Whenever you’d do a quest, you’d pull like four of what he wanted using the piggy bank, and then store it all for the group effort. Didn’t take long until it was like 80% likely on any given day that we’d already have what he was after, made the fishing stuff a lot simpler.