Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/barryoleary77/status/1198667599892090880
:3:

e: 321, the number of seats returning Labour on Dec 12th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

]
[*]We will protect the integrity of our democracy, by introducing identification to vote at polling stations, stopping postal vote harvesting and measures to prevent any foreign interference in elections.

some english nerd might correct me, but that comma does imply they'll stop measures aimed at reducing foreign interference right?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

WhatEvil posted:

Yeah cool.

Who do you think the "most successful capitalists" are spending vast sums of money to get elected?

Sure, but at least when Brexit does finally happen after this election you will know that is what the people wanted.

Seriously though, Brexit is hosed and I hope it doesn't happen. Not voting is a vote for Brexit.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Ratjaculation posted:

some english nerd might correct me, but that comma does imply they'll stop measures aimed at reducing foreign interference right?

Technically no, but that's what the oft debated Oxford comma is meant to disambiguate.

NinpoEspiritoSanto fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Nov 24, 2019

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

[*]We will make it easier for British expats to vote in Parliamentary elections, and get rid of the arbitrary 15-year limit on their voting rights.

Lol imagine if they had done this before the brexit vote

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/Independent/status/1198641174438825986
:laugh:

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

• We will ensure we have updated and equal Parliamentary boundaries, making sure that every vote counts the same – a cornerstone of democracy.

• We will protect the integrity of our democracy, by introducing identification to vote at polling stations, stopping postal vote harvesting and measures to prevent any foreign interference in elections.

Our manifesto pledges: gerrymandering and disenfranchisement

Gwaint
Oct 22, 2010

"Music is the truth. Just listen..."
Update!

First time canvassing today; I first had a real moment of wariness when I didn't see anyone else turn up, but then it just turned out they were gathering on the other side of the building. Met the local candidate (not my candidate though; given that I'm in a pretty strong Tory seat, I was informed my efforts might pay greater dividends if I helped canvass in the neighbouring constituency) - a great guy who seemed really appreciative of my time. I shadowed for most of it, while doing some simpler tasks such as posting leaflets and adding in additional comments to help out the person I was working with.

We were really lucky with the weather - the heavens opened only twice, once during our break for lunch, and once just as we finished. I only had one outright rude person, who opened the door, took the leaflet I'd posted, crumpled it up and threw it back at me, telling me I "had some nerve posting that through her door". I apologised for inconveniencing her and moved on.
Most people were really polite. Most opinions ranged from "Yeah I'm voting Labour" to "Not sure yet" (which then led to us talking about what our local candidate is aiming to accomplish, which always seemed to go down well) to "Not particularly interested because they're all as bad as each other" (We again highlighted that at least voting for the local candidate would help for local issues) to "Definitely not voting Labour" (which wasn't as common as I feared it was going to be, but again, usually polite).

I made the observation that people, in person, are actually a lot more polite than you might think. Given how toxic online discussions can get (plus people in online discussions normally have their mind totally made up and are not open to persuasion), I was afraid there would be a fair bit of abuse to suffer, but most people are not going to use the same kind of language your typical internet commenter would use, after all. It was actually a really positive day, and one that I was happy to spend my time helping out.
Another observation is that people actually, more often than not, seemed actually pretty okay about talking to someone about the election. Having a chance to meet their local Labour candidate and ask him stuff they were concerned about, or just having someone ask them what they cared about and how Labour could help them with it - it really came across as us really listening to their concerns, and that goes a long way, I think. One person even put up a Labour poster in his window after initially saying he was 'uncertain, didn't know about that Corbyn fellow'.

I really hope our efforts can make a difference and we can help claim this pivotal seat! Overall it was a really positive day and I want to see about what other days I can use to help out.
If there's anyone lurking the thread who's thinking of helping canvass, take it from me, someone who's never done it before: It's really not a big deal, you get great exercise, and you just might be crucial in winning this election! :)

Gwaint fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Nov 24, 2019

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

I got the dreaded question at dinner with my folks tonight: "what's all this about Jo Swinson & squirrels?"

Show them this historical footage of her relatives

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wL-NNWoblxI&t=72s

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkbKQBUsCh8

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

CoolCab posted:

right it assumes you'll get your deposit back and lmao

Also it's a loan so even if you get it all back you actually don't. Squil!

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

This is masterful.

Out posting leaflets today in York outer. Their MP is conservative Julian Sturdy, who does literally nothing, and it's a potential swing seat. Everyone I spoke to seemed happy to see us and keen to know more, apart from a couple of people in really massive houses. I think it's going to swing.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Renaissance Robot posted:

Also it's a loan so even if you get it all back you actually don't. Squil!

lmao what an incredible racket:

Get this loan -> It goes to the landlord -> You move out -> Landlord keeps most or all the deposit because landlords -> You have to pay back the loan

It's just throwing extra money at landlords while complicating matters for you, lmao

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
https://twitter.com/PeoplesMomentum/status/1198683460149358592

:perfect:

This is how you engage with da yoof. At least da yoof that watch mexican and arabic soap operas.

E: Full disclosure, in my experience arabic soap operas are best watched in Dubai with a bottle of duty free whiskey while trying to avoid the expats you've been working with all day. There's nothing like working with people who've been living in neo-colonial gated communities for the last 15 years. And funnily enough about 80% of the guys I was working with at the time supported Leave in the run-up to the referendum.

RockyB fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Nov 24, 2019

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

marktheando posted:

This doesn't sound like a healthy attitude to me.

I appreciate that it runs contrary to the conventional wisdom of "keeping informed" but the problem is that there is no such thing as a neutral source of information, nor is there such a thing as impartial information either. Again what you expose yourself to affects how you think, you aren't capable of reading things without internalizing them to some degree, so your only real choice is in what you read.

It would, of course, be nice if there was such a thing as an impartial, objective source, but there isn't. So ultimately you're left with someone else's narrative or one you choose. And in that instance I think the one you choose is far more likely to be good for you and others than one of the pre-packaged ones available, or any mix of them.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVJnNfVsXvk

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

w/r/t poll doomsaying: this was the Independent the day before the 2017 election:

idk about you folks, but I have hope that things'll work out this time

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

RockyB posted:

This is how you engage with da yoof. At least da yoof that watch mexican and arabic soap operas.

E: Full disclosure, in my experience arabic soap operas are best watched in Dubai with a bottle of duty free whiskey while trying to avoid the expats you've been working with all day. There's nothing like working with people who've been living in neo-colonial gated communities for the last 15 years. And funnily enough about 80% of the guys I was working with at the time supported Leave in the run-up to the referendum.

My mother has a love of watching foreign soap operas, there are some great ones on Netflix.
Most bat poo poo ones are Turkish made ones, she says.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Nov 24, 2019

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Crosh the Sabuteurs

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

I appreciate that it runs contrary to the conventional wisdom of "keeping informed" but the problem is that there is no such thing as a neutral source of information, nor is there such a thing as impartial information either. Again what you expose yourself to affects how you think, you aren't capable of reading things without internalizing them to some degree, so your only real choice is in what you read.

It would, of course, be nice if there was such a thing as an impartial, objective source, but there isn't. So ultimately you're left with someone else's narrative or one you choose. And in that instance I think the one you choose is far more likely to be good for you and others than one of the pre-packaged ones available, or any mix of them.

I don't see how it follows that the narrative you choose is better or healthier than someone else's. Plenty of people spend their time absorbing stupid garbage that's a waste of their lives. I mean look at us, reading and posting in this thread.

Is this why you don't watch any movies or tv shows? (That was you right, the guy who admitted ITT to have only seen The Hobbit and the Mummy?)

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/georgeeaton/status/1198688749296730119

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

https://twitter.com/KateFlood/status/1198688469578637312?s=20

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

RockyB posted:

I think it's probably Hindi!

if any of you are ever stuck for a page snipe just type the number into youtube, you'll get episode 369 of all kinds of wild soaps

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/Hepworthclare/status/1198690289344503810

Blimey an actual paper mentioning the BBC

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Venomous posted:

w/r/t poll doomsaying: this was the Independent the day before the 2017 election:

idk about you folks, but I have hope that things'll work out this time

If Labour keeps increasing at the rate they’ve been for the next 2 or 3 weeks until the election, then that’s a minority government.

What comic is your avatar from? I know the artist draws for the National, but I lost his name.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

marktheando posted:

I don't see how it follows that the narrative you choose is better or healthier than someone else's. Plenty of people spend their time absorbing stupid garbage that's a waste of their lives. I mean look at us, reading and posting in this thread.

Is this why you don't watch any movies or tv shows? (That was you right, the guy who admitted ITT to have only seen The Hobbit and the Mummy?)

I partly don't watch TV or movies because I have to pay to access them conveninetly, but also they don't really appeal to me that much. I suppose they probably appeal more if you spend more time watching them but I prefer games or like, youtube videos.

Certainly it's possible for you to choose a narrative that is bad for you and society, but I'd suggest that that's more likely to happen if you're already building on a bad one, one that you probably got through not curating what you're exposed to. If you just absorb everything that's available to you then you're probably gonna end up with some real lovely views of the world because a lot of the most available information is either explicitly designed, or implicitly manages, to convey lovely views of the world.

Of course suffering with depression adds another pressing dimension to that for me in that exposure to different stimuli is important for managing my general mood, but I think this is also true of everyone to some degree, even if not as strongly. But again I come back to the suggestion that there is some information it simply does not help to know. Particularly in politics because democracy only really works if people act as if they were blind, if people start trying to predict the outcome and vote based on that it encourages silliness like voting for "the winner" or people trying to "tactical vote" and ensuring that long term shifts are harder to occur because everyone's just supposed to keep their seat other than in a handful of marginals. Even absenting the effects of polling on the efforts of campaigner engagement.

The readily available narratives are all presented by people who are either low-key or overtly hostile to your welfare, either monolithic capitalist entities or outright propaganda for capitalism or worse. On that basis I suggest that curating the information you're exposed to is more likely to be an improvement than not, both for your own wellbeing and for your social and political outlook.

That you keep on living is itself a denial of reality, a denial of the utter lack of meaning inherent in the world and a denial of your own inevitable mortality. To deny reality and curate what thoughts you allow yourself to have is the essence of being alive, people who don't do that don't stay alive for very long. It is not, I think, a big step to go from that to deciding the kinds of thoughts you are willing to entertain more consciously.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Nov 24, 2019

sitnalisa
Dec 16, 2004

stupid virgin
Went out knocking on doors today for the first time, and it was mainly an exercise in finding voting intentions, so just one question and then move on. Everyone was polite, even the no's, except for one old white guy (surprise!) and even he was forthright rather than rude. Maybe me being an old white woman helped. The constituency is very diverse indeed, and one of my team (in fact my councillor) told me that white people were in demand as door knockers, especially in what she referred to as 'difficult' areas. This depressed me a bit, even if it didn't surprise me. 10/10 would go out again.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

PawParole posted:

What comic is your avatar from? I know the artist draws for the National, but I lost his name.
Neil Slorance:
https://twitter.com/neilslorance/status/1131484710444634112

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

People losing hope due to polls, I'm seeing lots and lots of this stuff on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/TheSinanKose/status/1198697004714676224?s=20

https://twitter.com/KGlasss/status/1198654962479304704?s=20

https://twitter.com/FoneThomas/status/1198171481009733632?s=20

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

:lol:
https://twitter.com/neilslorance/status/1198552234239365120

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1198630740906430464

Fieldwork was started before the manifesto release and mostly done before Friday's debate.

edit: also Google are shook. They keep tagging all my Labour emails with ***SPAM*** in the subject even though I keep saying they're not

xtothez fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Nov 24, 2019

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
What reaction are any of you phone canvassing getting? Our people are reporting bad reaction "how did you get my number" etc.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

as peter hitchens so correctly said, polls are there to shape opinion not reflect it. don't get captured by bullshit artists with bullshit graphs.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider
So I saw that the thread had a visit last night while I was sleeping from someone who had some 'interesting' views. I'm genuinely impressed by the amount of goodposting from all sorts of people in response. I'm also pleased that they were roundly called out for their disgusting comments about Diane Abbott.

Thredd did gud :glomp:

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

What reaction are any of you phone canvassing getting? Our people are reporting bad reaction "how did you get my number" etc.

Surely that's the default expectation? No-one likes unsolicited calls.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
The Oxford comma is an extremely useful device that makes writing much clearer and it's loving travesty that it's not a standard accepted part of the language, thanks for coming to my ted talk

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

peanut- posted:

Surely that's the default expectation? No-one likes unsolicited calls.

Yeah- hell that would probably be my reaction and I'm a party member.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

xtothez posted:

edit: also Google are shook. They keep tagging all my Labour emails with ***SPAM*** in the subject even though I keep saying they're not

It's because the contents of those emails are all about enlarging things, making things work longer and increasing the money shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

quote:

Fiona Bruce, Evan Davis, Mishal Husain, Laura Kuenssberg, Emily Maitlis and Nick Robinson are all paid upwards of £250,000 a year and, with the exception of Kuenssberg, all attended Oxbridge colleges.

Not to try to psychoanalyze a perfect stranger but lol that this makes me believe Laurak is the most pro-Boris out of a simple desire to be accepted by the Oxbridge set, and lol that she definitely gets called 'oik' and the like and will never actually be accepted by them.