Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Gone Fashing posted:

definitely sounds like something they would have played on the bob and Tom show

I was gonna say Dr. Demento

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003
I remember a local rock station playing a parody of the AC/DC song "TNT" that was made to be about PMS.

Did Bob Rivers ever do any non-Christmas parodies? I've only heard his Christmas stuff.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

rockinricky posted:

Did Bob Rivers ever do any non-Christmas parodies? I've only heard his Christmas stuff.
Yeah, he had a bunch of Twisted Tunes compilations. A friend of mine downloaded some of his stuff back in the day, and all of it was mislabeled as Weird Al because of course it was.

I remember some of the songs off the top of my head - "rear end in a top hat Son" ("Black Hole Sun"), "Wrong Foot Amputated" ("Come Out and Play"), "What if God Smoked Cannabis?" ("One of Us") and "Dirty Deeds Done With Sheep" (uh, "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap"). Quality stuff. Apparently, he also did that "TNT" parody you mentioned.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I remember back in the Napster days it felt like almost every song had some kind of parody. I for some reason specifically remember "Combo No 5"

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

My childhood...

:negative:

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Doc M posted:

Yeah, he had a bunch of Twisted Tunes compilations. A friend of mine downloaded some of his stuff back in the day, and all of it was mislabeled as Weird Al because of course it was.

I remember some of the songs off the top of my head - "rear end in a top hat Son" ("Black Hole Sun"), "Wrong Foot Amputated" ("Come Out and Play"), "What if God Smoked Cannabis?" ("One of Us") and "Dirty Deeds Done With Sheep" (uh, "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap"). Quality stuff. Apparently, he also did that "TNT" parody you mentioned.

I think my favorite was "Minimum Wage" - Smashing Pumpkins "The World is a Vampire"

e: some of this stuff is available: https://open.spotify.com/album/4rWkJ7FWz7u1da0yvlaQbq?si=8ZEE2rmmQWe3woTtzu0ukg and https://open.spotify.com/album/6gRJgZz6tv6XlgG9ywkjr0?si=OL6k-junSXaGXK4OKwuu9Q

beefnoodle has a new favorite as of 03:32 on Nov 24, 2019

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I remember back in the Napster days it felt like almost every song had some kind of parody. I for some reason specifically remember "Combo No 5"

This is more for the 2000s thread but there was a point where youtube was full of stupid parody songs, and that jumped the shark when they all just became parodies of I'm Sexy And I Know it.

But on the subject of Drive Time Radio parody songs though. I remember distinctly seeing some report on one of those Entertainment Tonight clone shows about how DJs were having trouble making jokes about the OJ case because they and their audiences of Matre'd Musky Vote and Joe Lunchpail didn't understand DNA and the technical the scientific terms the case was using, they had to spend a bunch of money commissioning parody songs to inform people about DNA testing and stuff.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Cartoon Man posted:

My childhood...

I loved Pizza Hut so much when I was a kid. I remember doing the Book It thing. Personal pan pizzas. Terrible spagetti. A pitcher of Pepsi. Playing "Lean on Me" on the jukebox non-stop. Sticky tables and greasy pizza after a soccer game.

Fond memories.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man, Pizza Hut used to be so much better back in the day, 'fore they started using crappy ingredients

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Randaconda posted:

Man, Pizza Hut used to be so much better back in the day, 'fore they started using crappy ingredients
They had pretty spicy pepperoni in the 80s.

Then around like 97 they got these weird thick pepperonis that looked like sausage rounds.

I bought some Little Cesar's this week and their thin crust is surprisingly good.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

beefnoodle posted:

I think my favorite was "Minimum Wage" - Smashing Pumpkins "The World is a Vampire"

e: some of this stuff is available: https://open.spotify.com/album/4rWkJ7FWz7u1da0yvlaQbq?si=8ZEE2rmmQWe3woTtzu0ukg and https://open.spotify.com/album/6gRJgZz6tv6XlgG9ywkjr0?si=OL6k-junSXaGXK4OKwuu9Q

FYI that Pumpkins song is called "Bullet with Butterfly Wings". I'm sure we talked about mislabeled songs in this thread not too long ago, and it doesn't help with songs like this where the title isn't actually a lyric in the song.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Cartoon Man posted:

My childhood...

Fun fact. Until like 2012, Pizza Hut was the #1 buyer of kale in the US. As you can see they used it to decorate the salad bar.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

GPTribefan posted:

I found out a long time ago that like 95% of those songs and bits you heard on morning radio were made by a service called PrepBurger. They would come up with a song parody or whatever and then sell it to radio stations or groups across the country. I spent most of my youth thinking Matt Patrick on 96.5 was a comedic genius... blew my mind when I found out the same stuff he was doing was being done at like 40 other radio stations in 40 other markets.

Morning radio is the worst.

Bob Rivers definitely did all his Twisted Tunes. There were tons of Twisted Tunes most people haven't heard of because they were about local events and issues.

He had a studio in his garage, and a lot of times when an artist was in town they'd record a song or two there as a "Live at Bob's Garage" version.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

FYI that Pumpkins song is called "Bullet with Butterfly Wings". I'm sure we talked about mislabeled songs in this thread not too long ago, and it doesn't help with songs like this where the title isn't actually a lyric in the song.

You know, I actually edited that but somehow my placeholder made it through.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Cartoon Man posted:

My childhood...

My podunk hometown got a Pizza Hut around 1988, which instantly became the nicest restaurant in town. Book It was so awesome for a kid like me in elementary school. I don't remember them doing toys that much, but do remember some sort of rubber Land Before Time tie-in.

mostlygray posted:

Playing "Lean on Me" on the jukebox non-stop.

Fond memories.

Blame It on the Rain here.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Where do those red cups come from? I only ever saw them at chain pizza places or very small, kinda crappy local ones.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I don't remember them doing toys that much, but do remember some sort of rubber Land Before Time tie-in.
The hand-puppets? Those were cool but kind of uncomfortable.
I think their most amazing tie-in was the X-men animated launch. Large pizza +$15 [or so] would net you a commemorative VHS of part one or part two of the pilot, and it came with a fold-out mini poster. They later had an x-mem mini-arc comic where Prof X was testing people in Danger Room scenarios that were all connected and came with trading cards.
Other than those two, maybe the biggest promo was the Young Indiana Jones toys???

chitoryu12 posted:

Where do those red cups come from?
They're pretty popular at restaurant supply stores. The texturing on the sides makes it easier to grip when you have greasy fingers. And if they fall you just have a mess of drink to clean up instead of glass.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
We've had this discussion before. You can actually get them from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/d/Tumblers/Restaurant-Beverage-Stackable-Break-Resistant-Commmerical/B007G6CEVE

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

It was just that they were specifically the pizza restaurant cup. So many places could potentially have them, but only pizza places did.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Pizza Hut ... the nicest restaurant in town

This just makes me sad.

... that you had a much nicer restaurant than my town, which was the Subway that opened in the mid-90's, instantly surpassing the Dairy Queen because it was kept cleaner.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
The hosed up thing about mambo number 5 was that erika was by his side the entire time but he trampled on her feelings by sleeping around.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

I'm kinda sad that places don't do pitchers of soda any more. I get why (free refills are objectively easier and better), but there was just something about that huge, chipped restaurant pitcher and the wax-paper cups they'd give you that makes me happy.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
Go to any college bar on thirsty Thursday and you can get the same experience with terrible american draft beer.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

ryonguy posted:

Go to any college bar on thirsty Thursday and you can get the same experience with terrible american draft beer.

If I wanted a pitcher of 'gansett dunked on me, I'd just go to Brown. :P

But yeah, maybe I'm just being weird, but there was something about those being filled to the brim with Mug root beer (always Mug) with pepperoni pizza.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Neito posted:

But yeah, maybe I'm just being weird, but there was something about those being filled to the brim with Mug root beer (always Mug) with pepperoni pizza.

Mug is the official root beer of pizza.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Neito posted:

It was always Mug because Pizza Hut was owned by PepsiCo.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Does anyone feel like modern fast food chains all kinda look the same decor wise? It loving sucks. That pizza hut thing got me thinking about it but at least they used to look a little different.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

Does anyone feel like modern fast food chains all kinda look the same decor wise? It loving sucks. That pizza hut thing got me thinking about it but at least they used to look a little different.

The only one I can think of that's not going for the bright florecent-light hell scheme is Dunkin, but that's more a power play against Starbucks than a desire to be different.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
fast food decor peaked with 90s Taco Bell

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Milo and POTUS posted:

The homogenization of fast food architecture was bound to happen at one point. It's been following some sort of trend or another in design for 30 years.

Really the only reason we have a fondness for old styles is that we have memories of the outlets that were built in the 70's and 80's before they were refitted for the 90's trends.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Neito posted:

No, what made them awesome (and what made Pizza Huts also good) was that ball shaped ice they used. Perfect for soaking up soda and then eating because it was soft enough. Ot was like having a Slush Puppy within your drink.

It’s why Sonic today has the best sodas actually.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

GPTribefan posted:

I found out a long time ago that like 95% of those songs and bits you heard on morning radio were made by a service called PrepBurger. They would come up with a song parody or whatever and then sell it to radio stations or groups across the country. I spent most of my youth thinking Matt Patrick on 96.5 was a comedic genius... blew my mind when I found out the same stuff he was doing was being done at like 40 other radio stations in 40 other markets.

Morning radio is the worst.

Same, but substitute some morning duo called John and Lana for my local market.

They were local hosts, but obviously the station purchased various comedy songs, skits, etc... from some national service. The big one I remember were there "patented" prank calls. The one I remember most, which I think might have just been a track from a Jerky Boys CD, was an extremely racist caricature of an Asian man is calling in to a diaper company to complain that the box says 10-15 pounds but it is only holding 2-3 pounds of poo poo, or something.

They actually did eventually start doing their own prank calls some time later, though I think it was just for their contest winners. So you'd win the trip to Boston, or something, but they'd just mess with you on the phone for a few minutes first.

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003
Speaking of radio prank calls, did anybody ever hear this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wjbTruO4Ko

It seems to me that a lot of radio comedy disappeared after the Janet Jackson 'wardrobe malfunction'.

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.

rockinricky posted:

Speaking of radio prank calls, did anybody ever hear this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wjbTruO4Ko

Coincidentally, that call came up on my MP3 player on my commute today. I have it listed as one of Opie and Anthony's bits - but I've never bothered to validate that.

quote:

It seems to me that a lot of radio comedy disappeared after the Janet Jackson 'wardrobe malfunction'.

Not surprising. One of YouTube's catalysts was that there was no quick, reliable site to watch "Nipplegate" at any time.

Unless maybe you used RealPlayer.

But the words "quick" and "reliable" are not the first words I'd associate with RP.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

rockinricky posted:

They made it law that you must inform somebody they're on the air if you call them live on a radio show. Killed prank call jokes dead. Gave rise to the fake prank calls that universally sucked.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

rockinricky posted:

Radio and TV changed a lot after that nipple. FCC rules changed dramatically.

However, prank calls were always a tough thing even before that. Many states are two-party-consent, which means you need their permission to broadcast their voice. It's why that jimmy Kimmel puppet show was all in Vegas - you don't need the other parties consent to record them.

Animal-Mother posted:

They made it law that you must inform somebody they're on the air if you call them live on a radio show. Killed prank call jokes dead. Gave rise to the fake prank calls that universally sucked.

Negative. It's a state thing.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Who needs stupid prank calls when you can just play this on repeat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ4c54rCJ_k

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Animal-Mother posted:

No, that honor goes to Caller ID and phones that can show you just who is calling.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

No, that honor goes to Caller ID and phones that can show you just who is calling.

Lol if you think caller ID info means anything. It's very, very trivial to spoof CID information.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Neito posted:

Lol if you think caller ID info means anything. It's very, very trivial to spoof CID information.

Like how Chase was calling me to do something with my credit card that I don't have?