Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Viral marketing at it’s finest. Want Half Life 3? Better get that Index...

https://comicbook.com/gaming/amp/2019/11/23/half-life-3-valve-pc-tease/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Cartoon Man posted:

I think that site is projecting very hard about that quote. I’m sure they have set expectations based on the current VR market

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Be interesting to see if the Index goes on sale for Black Friday or xmas. Don’t think they need to with all the free advertising the new Half Life game is giving it.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I think that site is projecting very hard about that quote. I’m sure they have set expectations based on the current VR market
I think I remember Valve describing the VR market as being bigger than they were expecting, so yeah, they're probably not planning on breaking sales records.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
the pimax is good. people have very misinformed opinions on it. I will enjoy playing half life alyx in 170 degree fov

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

How does that $250 Samsung headset compare to say a Rift S?

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

chaosapiant posted:

Odyssey+ display is OLED, has a higher refresh rate and technically higher resolution (but it's pentile rather than full RGB). It also has SIGNIFICANTLY better audio. Comfort is a bit worse (still quite good though), but it does offer hardware IPD adjustment which the Rift S doesn't.

The Rift S has significantly better optics, is generally considered more comfortable, has better native software, and has much better tracking and significantly more comfortable controllers.

To a degree I'd say the Odyssey+ feels like a more premium version of a worse product. It's still quite good, and if you don't want to spring for the Rift S (which will be $350 for Black Friday) or place a lot of importance on some of the things it does well, you'll likely be happy with it.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

chaosapiant posted:

The general consensus is you either go Rift S, Quest, Index, or OG Vive or Vive+. Not that other headsets aren't any good, but more like the support structure might not be there.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

If $100 isn't gonna break you, a Rift S for $350 on black friday is probably a way better pick. Provided your head isn't freakishly large because the S is non-adjustable, its way too small for me so I can't wear one at all without getting a headache. A headset with accurate enough tracking you should be able to wear all day and not get sick, as long as the game isn't doing anything pukey, and the Windows headsets fall just below that mark most of the time depending on where you're using it. Controllers work well enough but they're not great. Its probably the minimum I'd recommend to anyone though, anything less than that and you're gonna have problems.

If you plan on primarily sitting and doing sim poo poo though, the Odyssey is a top pick cause the screens and lenses are arguably as good as the Index.

Piney
Oct 14, 2003
The biggest VR market is PSVR. They need to bring it to PSVR! :(

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

KakerMix posted:

The general consensus is you either go Rift S, Quest, Index, or OG Vive or Vive+. Not that other headsets aren't any good, but more like the support structure might not be there.

Yea, I already have on OG rift so trying to see which value is better for my next upgrade.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

Yea, I already have on OG rift so trying to see which value is better for my next upgrade.
When you say OG rift you mean like one of the development kits or the CV1? Cause the S totally isn't an upgrade on a CV1, if you have the touch controllers

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

homeless snail posted:

When you say OG rift you mean like one of the development kits or the CV1? Cause the S totally isn't an upgrade on a CV1, if you have the touch controllers

The CV1 is what’s I got now.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

The Samsung Odyssey+ is the best of the WMR bunch (along with the Reverb, though its tradeoff aren't worth explaining unless you're already into VR), and by far the current best display per dollar. But the tradeoff is tracking is worse than the other platforms, and is garbage if you want to play things that require good tracking near your face like the realistic shooters (Pavlov, Onward, Hotdogs Horshoes & Handgrenades). HL:A may fall into this camp; we don't know yet. The Odyssey is incidentally also maybe the best Elite: Dangerous headset outside of the high end exotics, but that's niche. So most VR newbs are better off getting the Rift S on sale for $100 more.

The exception to this is if you loving hate Facebook and Oculus and the idea of them creating a walled data mining garden, in which case you can swallow some of the downsides of WMR for the tradeoff of only having MS and Valve tracking you.

I wouldn't recommend any other WMR headsets besides the Odyssey unless you're already familiar enough with VR to know the further tradeoffs (poo poo like manual controller pairing).

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Breakfast All Day posted:

The Samsung Odyssey+ is the best of the WMR bunch (along with the Reverb, though its tradeoff aren't worth explaining unless you're already into VR), and by far the current best display per dollar. But the tradeoff is tracking is worse than the other platforms, and is garbage if you want to play things that require good tracking near your face like the realistic shooters (Pavlov, Onward, Hotdogs Horshoes & Handgrenades). HL:A may fall into this camp; we don't know yet. The Odyssey is incidentally also maybe the best Elite: Dangerous headset outside of the high end exotics, but that's niche. So most VR newbs are better off getting the Rift S on sale for $100 more.

The exception to this is if you loving hate Facebook and Oculus and the idea of them creating a walled data mining garden, in which case you can swallow some of the downsides of WMR for the tradeoff of only having MS and Valve tracking you.

I wouldn't recommend any other WMR headsets besides the Odyssey unless you're already familiar enough with VR to know the further tradeoffs (poo poo like manual controller pairing).

Coincidentally Elite Dangerous is the game I play most in VR, and the entire reason I bought my Oculus. I’ll do some more research but it’s good to hear opinions.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Donovan Trip posted:

Be cool if a VR game gave you dialogue options and you could read them out to an NPC

Modded Skyrim lets you do it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erwXDxI1SAo

Here's my sad video

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

It's almost working :argh:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Donovan Trip posted:

Be cool if a VR game gave you dialogue options and you could read them out to an NPC
Not VR, but didn't Mass Effect 3 on Xbox 360 let you do it if you had a Kinect? Dunno how well it worked, mind.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I've been interested in trying VR for a while, this might get me over the hill. Main concerns have been 1) can my PC handle it (apparently my videocard is the bare minimum for the Rift), 2) can I handle it (motion sickness and/or getting overwhelmed from screens playing poo poo just in front of my eyeballs), and 3) blowing big time ca$h at something that stands a chance of being uncomfortable to use or wear.

Think I'll look into renting some gear for a weekend to try it at home.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Not to toot my own horn but check the VR thread, it covers most of the weird little details.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

SCheeseman posted:

Not to toot my own horn but check the VR thread, it covers most of the weird little details.

Yeah. We can help and give recommendations for things there.

davidspackage posted:

I've been interested in trying VR for a while, this might get me over the hill. Main concerns have been 1) can my PC handle it (apparently my videocard is the bare minimum for the Rift), 2) can I handle it (motion sickness and/or getting overwhelmed from screens playing poo poo just in front of my eyeballs), and 3) blowing big time ca$h at something that stands a chance of being uncomfortable to use or wear.

Think I'll look into renting some gear for a weekend to try it at home.

A video card that is bare minimum for the Rift is an NVIDIA GTX 1050Ti. Is that what you have? The Half-Life: Alyx minimum requirements states an NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB. There is actually quite a huge difference in performance between those two GPUs. When you add on the fact that using SteamVR via an Oculus headset results in a slight performance penalty, it could end up being a very bad experience for you. The NVIDIA GTX 1050 Ti minimum requirements for the Oculus is really assuming that you are going to be playing games using ASW all the time (ASW is asynchronous space warp and it means that you play the game at half the frame rate [40/45] where every other frame is simulated).

Second, you don't have to worry about a screen in front of your eyeballs. That is what the big lenses inside the headset are for. They basically put the screen 6 feet in front of you. Motion sickness can definitely be an issue, though. It is advised to buy a headset from a place you can return it to if it doesn't work out. The Rift S has a greater chance of making you motion sick than the Quest / Index because of the fixed IPD, but the Quest will have a slightly worse picture (since it is actually compressed h.264 video) and the Index costs $600 USD more.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I do have the 1050 ti, but figure I'll upgrade it in the near future. Thanks for all the tips!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I have bad motion sickness but it only bothers me when the world is moving. Most of the good games have teleport controls that eliminates this, Half Life: Alyx should too if I read correctly.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019
I'm curious how open the level design will be and what they'll expect from you in terms of movement during encounters. Just from what they've shown it doesn't exactly look distinct from your average VR shooting gallery, hope that hand terminal segment isn't a crutch they rely on.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

chaosapiant posted:

A few reviews I've seen say the S actually has a lower refresh rate than the OG, ~80Hz. If that actually is true I can't see how you'd justify an upgrade.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

WELL

waited for 14 years for a new half life game

they release it in VR

SIGH

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

lurker2006 posted:

A few reviews I've seen say the S actually has a lower refresh rate than the OG, ~80Hz. If that actually is true I can't see how you'd justify an upgrade.

Because it’s still a higher res screen. Plus now if I dip below 90 my frame rate gets cut in half due to ASW. A frame rate of 80 might be easier to hit without getting ASW to activate.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

https://twitter.com/HardDriveMag/status/1198677679714816005
:hmmyes:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
With the existence of HL:Alyx, chances of an actual Half-Life 3 are higher, because of asset sharing. I sure hope it'll be also VR-only. For the salt.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

What the heck

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

With the existence of HL:Alyx, chances of an actual Half-Life 3 are higher, because of asset sharing. I sure hope it'll be also VR-only. For the salt.

HL:Alyx benefits from being set in much of the same City 17 areas as HL2, so Valve's artists could easily refer to old concept art and upscale a bunch of the textures, do slightly higher-poly versions of old assets, etc.

A hypothetical Half-Life 3 would probably have very limited crossover with those assets other than potentially character models, especially if it wouldn't bet set on Earth.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

lurker2006 posted:

That is true. S also has worse controllers and worse tracking than OG.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I'll write up some mini reviews of good VR games since there's some new interest in buying sets :33:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
So it appears that some people including me got Half-Life: Alyx for free. Checked with Steam's license tool and saw that it was a complimentary gift sometime in October of 2015. Turns out that's about the time Valve apologized for when the Steam Link and Controller did not work on Macs. I did buy a Controller and did own a Macbook Air at the time so that seems to line up.

Oh well. Free game! But I don't have a VR headset (though I did own the Rift S for a hot week).

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Nov 24, 2019

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

That is true. S also has worse controllers and worse tracking than OG.

I would argue the tracking point; OG has potentially better tracking, but you need extra sensors (for a total of 3 or 4) and you need to position them correctly, which means anchored to the wall/ceiling pointing down at you, which the vast majority of people don't do. Out of the box tracking on the S is better, there are some dead zones you won't hit much but you can turn around and reach the floor smoothly.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Yeah the screen on the S may have a lower refresh rate but the tradeoff is a noticeably clearer image.

Like for some things like simulators it's he difference between text and instruments being readable where they were generally not on the OG Rift. In my experience that tradeoff was worth it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

VR is really good and cool and owns and it’s not 2015 anymore and you don’t need a crazy expensive computer to run it.

Alyx is honestly the highest system requirement I’ve seen yet

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Turns out the mid-tier PC I built 2 years ago is precisely what HL:A calls for with recommended specs. I'm just bummed about spending 1k on an Index when the 2020 iteration is bound to be untethered inside-out with actual real-time hand tracking with windshield wipers and a weed dispenser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If you already have a VR capable PC, hunt around on FB marketplace or craigslist. WMR headsets go for $100 on the regular. Rifts and Vives get there too but are more often $150.

The game doesn’t require an Index