Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Mr. Powers posted:

It was a good episode. It was a fun episode. It was a touching episode. It was not an eventful episode.

Chidi coming back with hundreds of years of memories cool as a cucumber in the face of oblivion after the knowledge of three people you love and a pair of eternal beings placing their whole confidence in you to stop billions of souls from existing is pretty eventful IMO, but I know what you mean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

GigaPeon posted:

Ok, I've ask several real life friends about this. Did you get the spoilery image BEFORE you had seen the spoiler? I've seen other shows show spoilery stuff (Good Place, Umbrella Academy, Bojack Horseman) in their banners but only after I had watched them.

I'm curious if Netflix changes it up based on how much you have watched.

Yes, way before the spoiler.

That episode bored the pants off of me. I feel like it didn't teach me anything I didn't already know and went over loads of old ground that I didn't really need to go over.
And now there's the bollocks American gap so we don't get anything interesting until January.

It felt like a sidequest where you're nearly done with the main game.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
This episode was delightful and amusing. A+

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

I liked the episode, but I have to say that probably would have felt more appropriate to put at the end of a hiatus rather than the start of one.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

curiousCat posted:

Teared up at the note. gently caress.

Same. The romantic subplot between Chidi and Eleanor has been a big part of the show's story from the start but I was caught off guard with how much I felt for their relationship. Chidi/Eleanor might go down as one of my favourite TV couples.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Taear posted:

That episode bored the pants off of me. I feel like it
It felt like a sidequest where you're nearly done with the main game.

The good place, the idle game: achievement unlocked: Prestige reboot Chidi 824 times.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I liked the episode, but I have to say that probably would have felt more appropriate to put at the end of a hiatus rather than the start of one.

Yea absolutely.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

I was doing alright until the note.

The note got me.

The note turned me into a blubbering mess.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Taear posted:

Yea absolutely.

Makes me wonder if the schedule shifted slightly and last week's was meant to be the hiatus start. It would've been one heck of a good (and torturous) cliffhanger.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I don't think this was such a bad mid season finale. Not what I expected but it works since it didn't introduce any new business part way and so we're still effectively on the same cliffhanger of how they're going to fix this.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
We would have been so pissed to come back from a break to that episode. It's good it aired when it did.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Consider too that Chidi had the least screen time this season and had all his character development rolled back again. So an episode devoted to him feels totally justified imo. It was really good.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Mokinokaro posted:

Makes me wonder if the schedule shifted slightly and last week's was meant to be the hiatus start. It would've been one heck of a good (and torturous) cliffhanger.
Actually, there was originally one ep scheduled to run the first week of December, but it was pulled a couple weeks ago.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I really liked this episode. It was slower, but I think it served as a good reminder of Chidi, and expanded on his character a bit. We got to see the moments that were important to him and the ones that shaped him the most.

And I literally "awe" when the note was revealed. This show broke me.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
So what needed to happen for Chidi to get over his indecisiveness was giving him the memories of living like, 800 lifetimes and gather enough empirical evidence that decisions are good, Eleanor and him always end up together, and almond milk is still evil.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I like how all the Bad Place fuckery led to the 4 being the best versions of themselves.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

CPColin posted:

We would have been so pissed to come back from a break to that episode. It's good it aired when it did.

Yeah what the hell. I don't get excited for any un-bingeable show anymore except The Good Place, so if there was a multi-week gap and I came back to this, I would have been so disappointed. This was a good pause before the conclusion.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Hey, I got a question about the experiment this season. If they used a Day counter since Day 1 that can be seen by everyone in the neighborhood, wouldn't that of been an indicator that The Good Place wasn't really what Michael told them it was?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I think that only appeared towards the end, and it was like a 'countdown til the end of your first year in the afterlife!' celebration thing.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Part of me thinks this week's episode and last week's should have swapped, so that we go into the hiatus after disco janet.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
The one minute of Kate Berlant in this episode was funnier than anything else this season

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

END CHEMTRAILS NOW posted:

I wish that when they were doing the slideshow of his various "soulmates", it included the guy who always had to go to the gym. I just really wanted that callback.

"This is your workout buddy, Chris."

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The timeline where Chidi's soulmate would be Jason would either be the shortest or longest lasting timeline.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

On a nerdy level it was neat seeing Janet replicate something in slow-mo.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

MikeJF posted:

"This is your workout buddy, Chris."

How amazing would it be if this iteration managed to convert Chris because he never realized how jacked humans could get?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

One thing I didn't see is why jason suddenly spilled his drink? Nobody pushed him as far as I can see, and he wasn't even doing anything weird with the drink.

Was the drink sapient and suicidal?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

He pushed too hard on the fruit wedge he was putting on the edge of the glass and slipped.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I think he made it too top heavy with the garnish thing and it just toppled.

Tequila25
May 12, 2001
Ask me about tapioca.

double nine posted:

One thing I didn't see is why jason suddenly spilled his drink? Nobody pushed him as far as I can see, and he wasn't even doing anything weird with the drink.

Was the drink sapient and suicidal?

He slipped on a marblized Janet.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Tequila25 posted:

He slipped on a marblized Janet.

Yup. It was confirmed on the podcast. You see the Janet marble roll towards the gang, but you dont actually see jason stepping on on it, just him going rear end over teakettle with his Duvall ditchwater

e: another podcast tidbit was the super slow mo was done on a phantom camera that can shoot something like 4k frames per second, but they shot between 900 and 1k FPS if there are any tech nerds out there

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Eat This Glob posted:

Yup. It was confirmed on the podcast. You see the Janet marble roll towards the gang, but you dont actually see jason stepping on on it, just him going rear end over teakettle with his Duvall ditchwater

e: another podcast tidbit was the super slow mo was done on a phantom camera that can shoot something like 4k frames per second, but they shot between 900 and 1k FPS if there are any tech nerds out there

I wish they'd gone back and done a real explanation about the lighting requirements for that setup. The whole "it sucks up more light the faster it goes" seemed like a half-understood explanation, repeated back third-hand.

The story about how the montage was a pixel-perfect Game of Thrones tribute that was cut for time was pretty funny. Since I never watched that show, the whole thing would have been lost on me.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Jet Jaguar posted:

I wish they'd gone back and done a real explanation about the lighting requirements for that setup. The whole "it sucks up more light the faster it goes" seemed like a half-understood explanation, repeated back third-hand.

More frames per second means a shorter exposure per frame, so for a given illumination level, a clip recorded at a higher frame rate will appear darker.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Hahaha, in the Season 2 episode when they try to go through the Bad Place to get to the Judge for the first time, they run into a Demon who talks about torturing a guy named Brent who hit a stripped with a lobster and died doing a kegstand in the back of a jeep.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Too bad it's not the same guy, that death sounds amazing in comparison to Brent's suicide by helicopter

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Toast Museum posted:

More frames per second means a shorter exposure per frame, so for a given illumination level, a clip recorded at a higher frame rate will appear darker.

The SlowMoGuys channel on Youtube is great for seeing this. At the extreme framerates they will be recording something at daytime and the background still looks as dark as night.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Senor Tron posted:

The SlowMoGuys channel on Youtube is great for seeing this. At the extreme framerates they will be recording something at daytime and the background still looks as dark as night.

Did you see the one where they went to that science place, and they were able to film the actual speed of light? (Or was that a different slow-mo channel?)

I wish there was a cheap camera that was affordable enough for me to play around with.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
If the universe-restart remote isn't in either Disco Janet's void, our Janets void, or Derek's void, than I'm going to be VERY upset! And I will feel as if Michael Schur has personally slapped me in the face!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Someone suggested getting flashes of mazes Janets set up in their voids to slow down the judge as our team works and I want that especially including disco Janet.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Marbelize whichever Janet of whose Void she’s currently inside

After everything’s sorted out, she’ll be freed when the Janets get un-marbelized, and the Janet Hivemind controls all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/vellanteviews/status/1199395844497313799