Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGKpjOfjz48

vs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr-I8XIAj8I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Fidelitious posted:

I see no reason for them to pack it in until they absolutely have to as it allows them to extract the most cash possible from the husk of the company.

I don’t think they’re packing it in, they’re just really hunkering down. And maybe having some housecleaning forced on them by the New Money. Doesn’t mean they’re out of money, it does suggest they’ve lost some control.

There was a time, and not that long ago, when Chris and Sandi had absolute, total control over the company and absolutely zero control over their egos. They could say and do anything they wanted and did, and people can revisit just how unhinged and unaccountable they were as leaders by watching stuff like this.

Bootcha’s latest predicted that Sandi might be completely out of the picture. But CIG hasn’t officially stated this and had her popping in to Lando’s show last year, reinforcing the view that even if she wasn’t hosting a show, she was still maybe running their marketing. The latest CitizenCon had no Sandi, no mention of Sandi, and Chris eventually thanking someone else for doing the event planning.

So things have changed. Maybe she still draws a salary but she’s been moved out of the spotlight. After 7 years and near ubiquity in their video content and at events, that’s a pretty big break from the past. It seems easier to believe it was forced on them than that they chose it themselves.

It begs the question what else has changed, and who is changing it. I assume controls are being asserted by Calder, probably because targets were missed and embarrassments unleashed.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

SelenicMartian posted:

There's the cloth physics, and there's the

And what the gently caress is going on with EVERYTHING in this display? Why is his argon rising?

Physics!

https://i.imgur.com/cULhYHs.mp4
:psyduck: amazing gifs, thanks

:gary:

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

The AI ships barely attacked during the turret bit, much like how the player barely got any hits in when firing at them.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
I won't go overboard and say they'll be out of business in 3 months or something like that, but I think it's pretty obvious where things are.

- They still can't make the game. So now they're making an unrelated type of game that's built into the engine more or less. Just to make something.
- The likelihood of new investor money is near zero. The Forbes article helped with that, as well as aforementioned evidence of Calder money tightening the thumbscrews.
- They are operating in the red. It doesn't matter if they have $30 million left or whatever, and it doesn't matter how many years that "buys them," because they're going to bail before they hit insolvency.

The only real question is how many millions, or tens of millions, the people in charge will accept as their consolation prize when they decide to cut their losses. The question all companies in this condition ask, or the question the shareholders ask, is "can we turn this around?" Otherwise it's better to liquidate and walk away with $30 million, losing $16 million, then it is to ride it into the dirt and walk away with nothing.

If Chris were running the show he'd run it into the red. I don't think he's running it any more.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

echothreealpha posted:

I remember when someone did some analysis over CIG's financials.

Does anyone remember on which page is it at?

Can't help you there for exact posts, but start here: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/16912-Letter-From-The-Chairman

Most of us who have/had experience in company size, salaries, expenses, etc projected numbers over the year and my god, they were drat close to the above.

Did notice Roberts swapped out his 12K watch for an iWatch. Maybe he pawned it. His shoes I cannot find.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Fidelity unmatched by the console peas- :staredog:

Oh no, we have to restart Squadron 42 from scratch.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

SelenicMartian posted:

Face over, I pee.

This seemed to get the heartiest response of the night

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

ErrEff posted:

The AI ships barely attacked during the turret bit, much like how the player barely got any hits in when firing at them.

Sorry, that's obviously FUD. They clearly attacked the aft and port a lot. But the player was wise enough to buy a carrack so he is basically invincible, even with a CIG turret gunner.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Buy a carrack. To win!

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I think it's pretty obvious where sq42 is friends

Chris has been hiding it in his increasingly large neck-goiter chin area

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
Star Citizen might not be quite what it was hyped to be but

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Who's going to do the best documentary on this affair? Not necessarily the most professional maker, just the most informative. Someone who has inkling as to how games are produced and doesn't need to explain everything in layman's.

Bootcha

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7SIP0NDfM2yyHKfRmCAociCcJKZHHY0E

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Perhaps Netflix will pick up the rights to Derek's magnum opus.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Cut! Cut! Cut!

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

ErrEff posted:

For me the hilarity peek was the "stealth" mission on Microtech. They literally walked into 3 npcs after the alarm was raised. Then slowly walked back and proceeded on their merry way as if nothing happened.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

SelenicMartian posted:

Cut! Cut! Cut!

:lol:

They literally had to cut every 3-5 seconds in that gameplay trailer in a desperate attempt to avoid showing the patented SC jank. But it was still all dropped frames, physics spiraling out of control and horrible FPS mechanics everywhere. The server looked like it was about to physically explode at almost every point.

I can’t wait for this new game mode!

F’s in the chat bro!

*horrible butt rock starts playing

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Agony Aunt posted:

Quality speculation there and its been a good while since we saw a Gorf effortpost!

5++++

Thing is, if they are trying to do CoD/Battlefield/ARMA to tide them over, there is one big problem. There are a plethora of those games already out there, and they are good (if you like that sort of thing) and they work, and not alpha.

Also, what ships are you selling when the people buying in are doing so for your team arena deathmatch game?

Try and sucker them in with the arena and then hope they buy the ships?

How many people will be interested in this, when there are much better games out there of this genre with consistently high player numbers? How are the CoD/BF fans going to react to janky movements, dropped connections, client crashes, and a host of other random bugs?

They now run the risk of getting more negative press from long term backers wanting the space game they were promised along with negative press from the (unpaid) CoD/BF/ARMA fans who have seen much better than what CIG have to offer.

I don't think that CIG honestly expects to catch many new players with the new game mode. It's just a way to keep support strong from their captive market, show to them that progress is being made (which is all they ask) in some way.

Once the game mode is online the backers will instantly say that it has the potential of becoming the best combined arms game, that it is exhilarating, etc. etc Nobody will actually play it but they will log to Rex's stream.

SC is based on dreams of what it could be and that's extremely alluring to some people but most gamers just want to play something that is a) fun and b) not poo poo. And boy, did that thing look unfun and poo poo.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

Quavers posted:

Viewership of CitizenCon keeps falling yearly

They got more and peak followers than ever tho with +4000 in a single month , so there is that

Edit: August 2017 was the record with +7000, so Nov. 2019 is their second best twitch follower month from that POV

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Bonk!

Let's cut walking two steps forward, because why the gently caress not?

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

SelenicMartian posted:

In case you were wondering how they got the ramp to work. Watch closely.

Wait I don't get. I was really surprised by the disappearance of the killer ramps.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

SelenicMartian posted:

Bonk!

You must become one with the jank

Orv
May 4, 2011

skeletors_condom posted:

Wait I don't get. I was really surprised by the disappearance of the killer ramps.

They cheat by making it so there's nothing for the ramp to kill as you go up it.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

I don't know why the guy on the left dies. Too much argon?

And back in the Adventure I've spotted good old doors. The demo player seems traumatized.

https://i.imgur.com/3Z2vvC4.mp4

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Further evidence that Crobbler's coding consists of pressing backspace at random parts of the code.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

SelenicMartian posted:

Bonk!

😂

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Orv posted:

They cheat by making it so there's nothing for the ramp to kill as you go up it.

Ah, I see now. I thought that was just usual SC jank.

Thanks.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

SelenicMartian posted:

Bonk!

There are literally FPS games from a decade ago built by 5 guys in a basement that play better than this.

After a point it’s just hard for me to fathom how 500 people with a 300 million dollar budget can’t even get basic FPS combat working in an engine that was explicitly built for it.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man
Well, looks like doing forestry with my mate yesterday on the South Downs was time much better spent than watching the Con. Colour me surprised.

The bits I have watched, I have to go along with the view that there was more than a whiff of the valedictory about Crobblers' speech. "This is the end", the absence of Sandi, the hang dog expression, the recapping to show that "hey, I shot for the moon and look how far I got"... it all just adds up to the Extra Special Backers clearing out the Augean stables and putting some proper management in place. Oh, and I'm not spiteful by any means, but I really hope Jared gets shovelled out with the rest of the horseshit.

So yeah - I can't wait for the "The Roberts family has cashed out" Letter from the Chairman which must surely be on its way. All hail Todd Papy I guess?

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

edit: why does this not load with sound?
*oink* finish the game

Armadillo Tank fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Nov 24, 2019

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Alright, real talk, what the gently caress? That is awfully amateur.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

CInotG posted:

Theatres of War is a new objective based game mode within Star Marine where the key focus is the use of combined arms. This mode combines the work we've put into Star Marine, Arena Commander and Squadron into one cohesive battle on foot, in vehicles and in the air; all working together to accomplish the same objective across multiple phases seamlessly, in a historical Star Citizen setting (or "Theatres").

...within Star Marine? I wonder how much of that framework they could use.

Giving me a lot of Dust 514 vibes, and not in a good way.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/1198715472230965248

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Wait, their battlefield mode is only 20v20?

lmao

marumaru
May 20, 2013

was star citizen the actual first Strand Game?

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Quite disingenuous and revisionist to pick end of 2014 as the scope creep milestone. Not only there have been innumerable additions to scope after that date anyways documented in sales pitches, design docs or Letter for the Chairman to name a few, but all the major scope creep brought about by the stretch goals happened precisely between 2013 and 2014 which completely defiled the original pitch into impossible territory already that early.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

1stGear posted:

Wait, their battlefield mode is only 20v20?

lmao

early days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010