Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

I guess they missed the part where this game mode wasn't really something that would end up in Star Citizen, but was more intended as a balancing test bed for future iterations of whatever the actual final gameplay will be…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

1stGear posted:

Wait, their battlefield mode is only 20v20?

lmao

What if Planetside 2, but 8 years later and a player cap 1/5th the average battle size.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Crysis mod MechWarrior: Living Legends had combined arms combat with more players than that, and it was considerably less janky

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Lord Stimperor posted:

Crysis mod MechWarrior: Living Legends had combined arms combat with more players than that, and it was considerably less janky

Bloody hell, it's a prototype Space ArmA. And it's not even meant to be a legit game mode, it's just so they can test stuff out.

Sean Tracy looked hugely uncomfortable presenting this load of old cobblers. Chris Roberts looked hang dog and not his usual ebullient self. There's change coming at CIG, mark my words...

Update: Skype call with Crobblers sneaker dealers in LA:

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Who's going to do the best documentary on this affair? Not necessarily the most professional maker, just the most informative. Someone who has inkling as to how games are produced and doesn't need to explain everything in layman's.

Werner Herzog.

zebedy
Feb 25, 2006
well?

star citizens problem is there are too many things close to done loooooooooooooooooooool

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
So wait, their big big announcements were:

1> Release of a big dumb ship that's years overdue.

2> A new mode that's basically vanilla-level basic bitch Crytek multiplayer FPS? Like the same poo poo people have been doing in Crytek and other engines since 2002? How do they justify diverting funds from finishing the Bee Dee Ess Ess Ee to make their own boring as gently caress jank BF clone? NO ONE ASKED FOR THIS.

Orv
May 4, 2011

AlternateAccount posted:

2> A new mode that's basically vanilla-level basic bitch Crytek multiplayer FPS? Like the same poo poo people have been doing in Crytek and other engines since 2002? How do they justify diverting funds from finishing the Bee Dee Ess Ess Ee to make their own boring as gently caress jank BF clone? NO ONE ASKED FOR THIS.

The new mode is literally just the combined arms mode from the Crysis 1 multiplayer expansion thing that nobody played. I can't even remember the name of it right now.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

AlternateAccount posted:

Because at this point the whales propping up the project don't care. They're just chucking cash at Chris Roberts to produce something, anything, which will justify the stupid amounts of money they've sunk into this clown shoe factory of a video game company.

Incidentally, can someone do me a favour - so I don't have to wade into the SC :reddit: cesspool, what's the average temperature like re. success/failure of CitizenCon this year? Hot, cold or lukewarm water?

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Their new game mode reminds me of the mid 2000s when battlefield was huge and every other developer tried to clone it. They always ended up creating these clones that felt so flimsy and lifeless.

With the new star system, I wonder if that's enough to legally say they accomplished their goal of multiple star systems. The "minimum viable product" has to be the true end of this, right?

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Jonny Shiloh posted:

And it's not even meant to be a legit game mode, it's just so they can test stuff out.
They say that about everything. It's not because it's true, it's to set the narrative to preemptively excuse their failure to the backers if it doesn't work out.

See also "Tier 0" etc

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

SOL SYTEM

THIS IS loving YEARS IN THE MAKING!

SOL.

SYTEM!

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

"They haven't expanded the scope since 2014".

But also,

"The reason it takes so long is that they added full procedural planet tech in 2016, so the game is now more complex to develop than the original vision and you should be happy about it".

Don't be like a citizen, pick your poison and stick to it.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny Shiloh posted:

Incidentally, can someone do me a favour - so I don't have to wade into the SC :reddit: cesspool, what's the average temperature like re. success/failure of CitizenCon this year? Hot, cold or lukewarm water?

The usual suspects consider it the best citizencon ever and are in awe at all the progress being done. Nobody else gives a poo poo.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

What scope expansion?

I'm not saying there WAS a scope expansion, but if there was it would be ok, but there wasn't one

*literally a paragraph later*

You can't expect programmers to work and not expand the scope to keep them busy, can you?

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

G0RF posted:

I don’t think they’re packing it in, they’re just really hunkering down. And maybe having some housecleaning forced on them by the New Money. Doesn’t mean they’re out of money, it does suggest they’ve lost some control.

There was a time, and not that long ago, when Chris and Sandi had absolute, total control over the company and absolutely zero control over their egos. They could say and do anything they wanted and did, and people can revisit just how unhinged and unaccountable they were as leaders by watching stuff like this.

Bootcha’s latest predicted that Sandi might be completely out of the picture. But CIG hasn’t officially stated this and had her popping in to Lando’s show last year, reinforcing the view that even if she wasn’t hosting a show, she was still maybe running their marketing. The latest CitizenCon had no Sandi, no mention of Sandi, and Chris eventually thanking someone else for doing the event planning.

So things have changed. Maybe she still draws a salary but she’s been moved out of the spotlight. After 7 years and near ubiquity in their video content and at events, that’s a pretty big break from the past. It seems easier to believe it was forced on them than that they chose it themselves.

It begs the question what else has changed, and who is changing it. I assume controls are being asserted by Calder, probably because targets were missed and embarrassments unleashed.

Here's a fun thought - what if the famed instance of Sandi scepticism on ATV where she upbraided Chris was actually real and she noped out?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I mean, they are slobbering all over their masters and ready to spend thousands on the kraken mod pack.

quote:

Sean Tracy speaking the truth in terms of games doesn't make him a hero, however the original pitch of SC is that it will be fun, do all these great things, AND look good. So while he is speaking the truth, it's kind of moot.

TonyZ is the lord and savior because what he is talking about is the big part of the game. I think many people still don't understand how much of an impact a truly dynamic economy will have on the game as a whole and in the long run.

The fact that Tony and whoever else have found a solution that isn't 'faked' and plans on in fact making this then yes he is the lord and savior, Sean is the MvP. (I love you Sean, but if Tony can pull this off he's pretty much god)

Tony's work with the AI and the animation system (His favourite example was the bartender) was quite impressive and while on the surface didn't seem to be very complex it in fact was, something even more complex like this sort of living economy I am very confident in saying is more complex by massive amounts and frankly wouldn't surprise me if it is in the top 5 or 3 most complex components in all of Star Citizen.

That, is what makes Tony the Lord and Savior. Let's hope he and his team can pull it off.

quote:

It's so fascinating to think that actually the best outcome for the great job that TonyZ is doing is for us to never notice it. Because what he is trying to achieve is to create a world where everything happening just naturally expected from a human perspective.

And just like with SSOCS they'll never be able to notice it.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Nov 25, 2019

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

SelenicMartian posted:

They kept this in the YT upload.

https://youtu.be/6-jE5Kw7lcU

A 17 subs hobby and casual dude fooling around might help them with knowledge from 2013

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Where's my fuckin' Derek Smart interview, Bootcha?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
GET OUT OF MY SOL SYTEM!

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

trucutru posted:

I mean, they are slobbering all over their masters and ready to spend thousands on the kraken mod pack.

And just like with SSOCS they'll never be able to notice it.

My thanks, friend.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Jobbo_Fett posted:

SOL SYTEM

SOL.

SYTEM!

That typo has literally been in there for like a year.

Can anyone cite the first occurence of that typo? I'm honestly curious.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Expo is starting. I'm not doing ship reviews this year because fundamentally none of the ships have changed and honestly I'm having too much fun with Disco Elysium to bother reinstalling the garbage SC client this week.

Somehow their facial animation rigs have become even worse. Space Jeremy Clarkson looks like he's doing a bad lip sync this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exJi4m7oZwU

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

I'm the typo that says that "the path to distinction is rarely the one well-warn" :ughh:

You keep doing you CIG, Gawd bless ya.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Jonny Shiloh posted:

I'm the typo that says that "the path to distinction is rarely the one well-warn" :ughh:

You keep doing you CIG, Gawd bless ya.

I like the bit about them not using "off-the-shelf solutions", while literally doing work in Lumberyard which is straight off Amazons shelf and free to anyone to use. :thumbsup:

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Sabreseven posted:

I like the bit about them not using "off-the-shelf solutions", while literally doing work in Lumberyard which is straight off Amazons shelf and free to anyone to use. :thumbsup:

They really do suck at this whole "being a professional game developer" thing don't they?

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Sarsapariller posted:

Expo is starting. I'm not doing ship reviews this year because fundamentally none of the ships have changed and honestly I'm having too much fun with Disco Elysium to bother reinstalling the garbage SC client this week.

Somehow their facial animation rigs have become even worse. Space Jeremy Clarkson looks like he's doing a bad lip sync this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exJi4m7oZwU

Space Jeremy Clarkson looks like he's suffering a space vasovagal rendered in 2015 graphics.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/listening2day/status/1198716810050170880

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

Jobbo_Fett posted:

SOL SYTEM

SOL.

SYTEM!

Their TOS still refers to "Robert Space Industries".

marumaru
May 20, 2013

lol

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

I will never forget Dolvak’s treachery, his solicitation of a bear meme for which he never rendered payment.

Never.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Had to screencap it for posterity

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

AlternateAccount posted:

Did they actually give a time frame for either of these two major 'features' that they announced?

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Ahh so here’s the new JPEG.

A Kraken modified into a flying marketplace.

I’m sure that all of the requisite gameplay mechanics to support that are all in place; and I’m sure it will launch very soon after the sale, considering that the original Kraken has spent a year in “concept” with no appreciable progress and has hardly even been mentioned.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

colonelwest posted:

There are literally FPS games from a decade ago built by 5 guys in a basement that play better than this.

After a point it’s just hard for me to fathom how 500 people with a 300 million dollar budget can’t even get basic FPS combat working in an engine that was explicitly built for it.

I'm guessing the answer involves Crobbert's micromanagement.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Viscous Soda posted:

I'm guessing the answer involves Crobbert's micromanagement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

:kiss: